2 Students Charged in Minnesota Goose Abuse

Full story: WLTX Columbia 51
Two high school seniors are in trouble after a prank few found funny. John Miller and Dane Rockstead, who are both 18, are charged with animal cruelty. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Questioner

Irmo, SC

#1 Jun 4, 2008
Finally, a school system that makes the students responsible for their wrong doing. I hope they get the 90 days and $1000 fine too.
kay-gee

Alpharetta, GA

#2 Jun 4, 2008
These are sick people! How can anyone do this to an innocent animal?!
Silly

Columbia, SC

#3 Jun 4, 2008
You may as well Fry em now. Cruelty to animals is only the beginning. You'll hear about them in the future.
SC Citizen

Columbia, SC

#4 Jun 4, 2008
This is horrible. I've always thought they were pretty birds. Why would you do that? I mean, really, what is the point? Did they really think people would be ok with this when they brought it to school? And these are seniors.
Puff

Gaston, SC

#5 Jun 4, 2008
Questioner wrote:
Finally, a school system that makes the students responsible for their wrong doing. I hope they get the 90 days and $1000 fine too.
I hope they duct tape the little jerks for the ninety days and make them work off the $1000.00 fine by picking up trash along the highway.(While still duct taped).

In fact, bring their little butts to Columbia to work the highways in the 104 degree heat.(Still duct taped).

“Speak your mind.”

Since: Aug 07

Chester, SC

#6 Jun 4, 2008
SC Citizen wrote:
This is horrible. I've always thought they were pretty birds. Why would you do that? I mean, really, what is the point? Did they really think people would be ok with this when they brought it to school? And these are seniors.
You're exactly right. This was probably a senior prank right before graduation. If so, I hope they were suspended and not allowed to even attend graduation.

I don't consider myself to be an animal lover, but I don't condone their abuse either. Students at a Richland 2 school put goldfish in all of the toilets a few weeks ago, and while fish aren't usually considered to have the same "value" as birds, that was cruel as well.
Anonymous

Swansea, SC

#7 Jun 4, 2008
This is terrible! I am an animal lover, and I don't care WHAT kind of animal it is - don't abuse them! I think the students should be charged with animal cruelty.
Havasuian

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#8 Jun 4, 2008
dang i think we should tape them up and put them in a duffle bag+ jail time and $5k fine towards animal shelters.

Since: May 08

Summerville, SC

#9 Jun 5, 2008
They should spend every single 90 days in jail and the fine should be higher...so should the jail time...what the he77 were they thinking?? I own parrots and this is unthinkable cruelty to their feathers and body. I am also amazed that this goose survived and I pray it never meets man again.

And there is no way in this world that they did not know that this was a wrong thing to do to one of God's creatures. They are not 'just kids' they are young adults. Throw the book at them and knock them out with it.

Since: May 08

Summerville, SC

#10 Jun 5, 2008
Silly wrote:
You may as well Fry em now. Cruelty to animals is only the beginning. You'll hear about them in the future.
You are more correct than you probably know. I did a research project a while back on the link between violence towards animals in youths and violent tendencies towards humans in adulthood. There is a strong connection, though I can't recall the exact numbers now so I won't give a quote. It is surprisingly high. Almost every single American serial killer began with some form of animal abuse/torture. Feel free to research it yourselves, these will most likely be dangerous men when they grow older. It shows a lack of respect for life in general, and that is when we should be concerned. They don't just need to be punished, they need to be made to go to counseling. Otherwise we may wind up with a much larger problem on our hands with them in a few years.

“We Go Play Hoop”

Since: Jul 07

Falls Church, VA

#11 Jun 5, 2008
These kids will make great teachers in the Oregon public education system!
Agree

West Columbia, SC

#12 Jun 5, 2008
Silly wrote:
That was my first thought! Kee an eye on these hoodlums...cruelty to animals is often a "first sign" of worst things to come.
Christy

Columbia, SC

#13 Jun 5, 2008
Kids today are just so mean hearted, what is wrong with them? What is wrong with their parents?
Agree

West Columbia, SC

#14 Jun 5, 2008
Keep....the word should be keep

“Preggo again! ”

Since: Jan 08

Back in Columbia

#15 Jun 5, 2008
Now that's just cruel. Seniors play pranks their graduating year every year, but it should never go that far. When I was a senior, someone brought roadkill to school and left it in the middle of the courtyard for everyone to see. Some thought it was funny, some thought it was nasty. but at least they didn't hurt or kill the animal. Unless of course, they were the ones that ran it over but they said they found it. I dont think they would be that cruel. Certainly not like this.
Unbelieveable

Huntingdon Valley, PA

#18 Jun 5, 2008
Disgusting. They should definately be charged, fined and suspended. Let their punishment teach others that animal abuse will not be tolerated
in any form !
Dianne

Columbia, SC

#19 Jun 5, 2008
I think they should pay a very very stiff fine and also do the same thing to them that was done to that poor defenseless bird. THIS IS HEARTBREAKING

Since: Mar 08

Georgia

#20 Jun 5, 2008
Silly wrote:
You are so right! Cruelty to animals is one of the awful triad of symptoms usually traced back to the childhood of most serial killers!!

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_kil...
Chicken and Beer

Fairfax, SC

#21 Jun 5, 2008
Mofos on here cant type for shiiiiiiiiit.
BUG

Columbia, SC

#22 Jun 6, 2008
These people make me sick.$1000.00 fine is not near enough. The problem is most often, no one actually suffers for a animal cruelty charge but the animal. We need tougher laws and enforce them !!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wayzata Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crosswalk violation? Who's? (Aug '12) Jan 5 Killer Crosswalks 4
Christopher & Banks to close its high-end Acorn... (Jul '08) Sep '14 JackieB 20
Reporter Rusty Gatenby let go at KSTP after DWI... (Feb '14) Aug '14 rusty wantbe 6
Long lake, MN - at Nelson Park - Nov. 21, 1971 (Jul '14) Jul '14 heggie 1
Wayzata Cougars (Jul '14) Jul '14 Cougar Den 3
Karen A. Geier (Jul '14) Jul '14 John Geier 1
Buckhorn fire 3-18-72 ~ Photo by Ken Siljander (Jul '14) Jul '14 Carol 1
Wayzata Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Wayzata People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:22 pm PST

ESPN 1:22PM
Matthews fined $22K for block on QB Wilson
Yahoo! Sports 1:24 PM
What trick will Belichick pull from his hoodie sleeve next?
Bleacher Report 6:54 PM
Why Vikings Must Draft CB Quinten Rollins
Bleacher Report 5:47 AM
Dez Must Top Vikings' FA Wish List
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out