Cities tread warily on holy ground

Aug 31, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Star Tribune

To hear some residents of east Bloomington tell it, life hasn't been the same since the Al-Farooq Youth and Family Center opened seven months ago.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of33
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Miss Piggy

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Why are the religious services held at noon on Friday? a work day for most people. Just another exception that must be made for Muslim workers.
And, why did the city of Bloomington let this building remain off the tax roles? Couldn't they have sold it to a tax paying entity?
Now that the damage is done the neighbors should walk their dogs in the park next door, clean up after them, and quit complaining. Just remember this at the next local election!
CRASSUS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Miss Piggy wrote:
Why are the religious services held at noon on Friday? a work day for most people. Just another exception that must be made for Muslim workers.
And, why did the city of Bloomington let this building remain off the tax roles? Couldn't they have sold it to a tax paying entity?
Now that the damage is done the neighbors should walk their dogs in the park next door, clean up after them, and quit complaining. Just remember this at the next local election!
The liberals are turning this country into a pile of sh!t and handing it over to the Muslims. I feel sorry for the neighbors.

"It's totally out of control," she said. "They said there would be prayer for one hour on a Friday; they did not say it would be going through the night.... We never had a say in it. What about the neighborhood?"
Miss Piggy

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

"We never had a say in it": key statement. Why didn't they get a vote? That's my point. As the article implied, it's too late to do anything now. The ACLU will take the Muslims side for free, but the taxpayers will have to pay for some bleeding heart judge to rule in favor of the Mosque. But it's not too late to vote the pandering politicians out.
I feel sorry for the neighbors too, but they did move next to a school with the noisy, stinky busses and loud kids five days a week.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Miss Piggy wrote:
many Catholics church hold Mass every day for anyone who can join in. though Mass tends to be on most weekdays a morning thing. though on Sat, it is a early evening thing.
many religions have a different idea of what is expected to be a faithful member of that religion, sect, church/temple.
what might be a required holy day for one group. is not going to be for another.
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Oh no parking, is short.

I might have agreed until the part where the city council members complained of having very little control over the facility.

UNDERSTAND THIS goverment needs to stay out of the lives of people unless absolutley necessary. These liberals deserve this.
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
many Catholics church hold Mass every day for anyone who can join in. though Mass tends to be on most weekdays a morning thing. though on Sat, it is a early evening thing.
many religions have a different idea of what is expected to be a faithful member of that religion, sect, church/temple.
what might be a required holy day for one group. is not going to be for another.
I don't live near a mosque but it probably would be no diffrent than living near a church.
Miss Piggy

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

I spent 12 years in Catholic school, I know all about having to go to church every day during lent, but no one I know used it as an excuse to get out of work.
Like you said, mass was held to accommodate work and school, unlike that Muslim place holding service in the middle of a week day.
Smiley Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Funny, they hold services, so you pretend ALL the parishioners have to miss work, to make your dumb point, right ??? Poor point, <75 IQ putz...
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Smiley Slew wrote:
Funny, they hold services, so you pretend ALL the parishioners have to miss work, to make your dumb point, right ??? Poor point, <75 IQ putz...
is this actually what you do for fun?
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

personally from here on out I think any new religious facilty should have ample parking for its reciepents and be able to contain noise inside.

Since: Sep 11

Champlin, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Miss Piggy wrote:
I spent 12 years in Catholic school, I know all about having to go to church every day during lent, but no one I know used it as an excuse to get out of work.
Like you said, mass was held to accommodate work and school, unlike that Muslim place holding service in the middle of a week day.
I don't care if they take unpaid time off or use their vacation time for religious festivities. But how come companies have to provide places for them to pray to Mecca of be sued. Keep your religion out of the workplace no matter what faith you are.
Miss Piggy

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Slimey Slew wrote:
Funny, they hold services, so you pretend ALL the (?parishioners?) have to miss work, to make your dumb point, right ??? Poor point, <75 IQ putz...
Where did I say ALL? Since you never went to work or school you wouldn't know that at noon on Friday your average kid is in school and adult at work.
They really ought to let you out more often.

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

cantmakeitup wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care if they take unpaid time off or use their vacation time for religious festivities. But how come companies have to provide places for them to pray to Mecca of be sued. Keep your religion out of the workplace no matter what faith you are.
as well as not everyone works the 7 to 3 jobs. many a person works like from 2pm to 11pm. like cashiers, security workers, EMTs, etc..
many work weekends. so going to church/temple on a weekday is easier for them.
Smiley Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Miss Piggy wrote:
<quoted text> Where did I say ALL? Since you never went to work or school you wouldn't know that at noon on Friday your average kid is in school and adult at work.
Funny, at noon, lots of people eat lunch, perhaps you've heard of a lunch break ??? Rolling in slop, may be your similar experience....
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

The folks across the street from the old high school that are annoyed with the cars parked in front of their house could BBQ some pork in their driveway every Friday for supper.

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Miss Piggy wrote:
<quoted text> Where did I say ALL? Since you never went to work or school you wouldn't know that at noon on Friday your average kid is in school and adult at work.
more and more of your average kid is being homeschooled. be it by a parent. or online school.
CRASSUS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

What a bunch of clueless pinheads. A mosque is nothing more than a terrorist base on US soil. No wonder your state is Somali capital of the US.
Miss Piggy

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
more and more of your average kid is being homeschooled. be it by a parent. or online school.
There are less than 1% of kids in the metro area being home schooled and with the Somalis who's parents never went to school and can't even speak English its about 0%

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

it is higher than that.
http://schoolsofthought.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08... The National Center for Education Statistics says that 1.7 percent of kids were homeschooled in 1999, 2.2 percent in 2003, and 2.9 percent in 2007. Today, that figure is at 4 percent, according to an article published at EducationNews.org .
http://www.educationnews.org/parenting/number... As the dissatisfaction with the U.S. education system among parents grows, so does the appeal of homeschooling. Since 1999, the number of children who are being homeschooled has increased by 75%. Although currently only 4% of all school children nationwide are educated at home, the number of primary school kids whose parents choose to forgo traditional education is growing seven times faster than the number of kids enrolling in K-12 every year.
in fact my husband and I are considering homeschooling our daughter via the computer. as in the http://www.k12.com/
Miss Piggy

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Notice I said in THE METRO AREA, your statistics take in the Amish, the Jehovah's Witnesses,and the Moonies.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of33
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Wayzata Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Wayzata People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance