Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments (Page 1,141)

Showing posts 22,801 - 22,820 of30,607
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

Get a Life wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Doug,
I truly feel sorry for your two young daughters and young son. The way you and your wife act around Springboro is sad. Your wife ripping into a young man for not paying for his pregame meals yet within earshot of all of his friends (does she realize how embarrassing it is to be called out for not having money) is unthinkable. You setting up meetings with guidance counselors to complain about PSEO (which by the way they do hold meetings like they are supposed too, meeting was in Feb of 2012) or setting up a meeting with your sons coach and said AD. Having teachers work the book and take tickets and run scoreboards is a great thing. And yes, they do deserve to be paid for their time. You referred to parents doing this during "select" games, obviously you forgot that there are seven age groups of parents to run the books and concession stands Doug. At the junior high games you don't have that luxury anymore. I for one want to watch my son play, I do not want to work the clock,collect tickets or sell Sniker Bars to people like you. You are wrong on so many levels of what you post on here Doug, the high school does do what they are supposed too and the junior high AD does a fantastic job. You need to get off of Topix and enjoy your young children as they grow up, you have lost all credibility on here. "Just Watching" you make an A$$ of yourself is getting really old.
Where to start, how about meeting with my daughters guidance counselor, Ms. Wilson, to learn more about how the PSEO is run. This is a program whereby the state will pay for the college courses your child takes while still enrolled in high school. My daughter is going to be a senior this coming year and needs but one class to graduate, I would like to take as much advantage of this program as is possible. The deadline for notification is March 1, the deadline to sign the letter of intent to participate is March 31, and the deadline for fall consideration is May 1. Time passes so quickly now that it seems only prudent to begin moving forward now rather than later. Ms. Wilson and I met from 6:10 a.m. until 6:45 a.m. and she provided me with much needed background and information about the program. I know now what options are available, other students experiences in the past , and what we need to concentrate on in the near term. All and all a good, productive meeting.

If money is indeed as tight as everyone likes to make it out to be, and evidently there are children in our community that cannot afford to pay to participate, then perhaps we should look at the underlying cost structure in place that is driving the price of the program out of reach. Larding on employees to a program does nothing but unnecessarily bloat the payroll. Ultimately someone has to pay the price for those chunks of lard, either through higher taxes, higher pay to play fees, or more fund raising.

My point is that we are spending over $7000 to pay for jobs that at other schools either parents or other children are doing for far less. Add to that the lost revenue we miss by not running a concession stand like everyone else, save Xenia, and you have another $3500 not being collected.
$10,500 divided by the 80 girls and boys in the basketball program would equal $131.50 per kid in costs that did not need to be paid. Pay to participate is only $160 per child now.

We all did our duties for the teams at the select level. They did NOT bring in other grades to have us watch the door for our games, or keep the scorebook, or run the clock. While not everyone was able to participate as much as others, as usually happens, enough people stepped up when the bell was rung to successfully run the program.

The duties of an athletic director are more managerial and administrative than secretarial. The same skill set that produces a good teacher or aide is not necessarily one that translates naturally to a good athletic director.
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

How much do PSEO cost the district?
Who Are These Hypocrites

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

hypocrites wrote:
<quoted text>
It's nothing less than hypocritical for our Springboro teachers to be speaking out against bullying, when next month at their Atlanta national teacher's meeting, notorious BULLY pro-communist, pro-domestic terrorist Bill Ayers is scheduled to be one of the keynote speakers.
Where can we get a list of the Springboro Teachers/SEA union officials who are attending this conference in Atlanta? And who is the school employee responsible for sending teachers to this conference? Is it the SEA president who decides; does the school superintendent have to give his approval? Does the SEA pay expenses for this national teacher's meeting from their union dues which have already been collected from local Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners? Do teachers pay expenses out of their own pockets?
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
Unknown by Ms. Wilson, but the school district pays the bill.
Select B-Ball

Milford, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

It all sounds great having parents work and volunteer to save money but the end results are exactly like what is happening in the varsity boys basketball program where kids who have worked hard are cheated out of their deserved playing time. In the end having parents coach or volunteer, there are always agendas attached. The entire Springboro basketball community is painfully aware of this fact and hopefully the inner circle of the BOE will become enlightened of this fact as well.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Select B-Ball wrote:
It all sounds great having parents work and volunteer to save money but the end results are exactly like what is happening in the varsity boys basketball program where kids who have worked hard are cheated out of their deserved playing time. In the end having parents coach or volunteer, there are always agendas attached. The entire Springboro basketball community is painfully aware of this fact and hopefully the inner circle of the BOE will become enlightened of this fact as well.
These are good lessons for children to learn at an early age. Very few of us escape situations in life after high school where we see people get ahead that shouldn't because of who they know and who they blow smoke by on a daily basis.

Some bosses have tunnel vision, some you just don't get along with, and some are morons. In the end it doesn't matter because they are the boss. Anyone care to guess how these situation generally turn out? How many of us with the long experience in life have not witnessed the above?

You learn to deal with it the best you can given the circumstances you enjoy.

The BOE does not have anything to do with the governance of the select basketball program.
PAC

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Mixed wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Doug,
I truly feel sorry for your two daughters and your young son. The way you act in public at board meetings, setting up appointments with your sons basketball coach and said AD, setting up appointments with a guidance counselor to complain about PSEO and how the school is not doing what they are supposed to be doing by law (which they do by the way, meeting was held in Feb) is more than like mortifying for your young children. The way your wife scolded a young man on your sons team for not paying for pregame meals yet (does she have any idea how embarrassing it is to be called out for not having money in front of your friends) Did you ever think that as 7th graders parents probably want to watch their kids play instead of running books and feeding people at a concession stand? When you were in your "select" days the people running the concession stands were probably parents of younger or older teams (you have 7 levels to choose from) at the junior high you don't have that option anymore, parents want to watch their kids not embarrass them like you do. I'm glad teachers are there to do this and yes they do deserve to be paid for their services. I want to watch my son play in the game, not worry about who has how many fouls or points nor do I want to be selling snickers and popcorn to people. I want to watch my son and his teammates on the court. You seriously need to either one, get a job, or two, start enjoying your kids youth. Don't make them go to school and have their friends ask why their dad is always posting on Topix and what not. How about putting YOUR kids first and you and your wife quit embarrassing them daily.
You all are just attacking when good people stand up and do more than b. This man does something to fix this system all for the kids and you liberals do what Saul tells you to do and attack him personally. If this is a district employee, this is Conduct Unbecomming. Your licensure is at risk.

You should never talk about someones kids here, that is out of bounds and is something that can be tracked.

It appears you are here on Topix posting? What a hypocrite you are.
Post Secondary Education

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
As students leave the High School to take college courses they do not have to be taught at Springboro so I would venture a guess that it costs what it saves. How much does it cost Springboro to teach this same student 3-6 credit hours at our building? A full time high school student costs about $7,800 per year. If they leave half of the school year than it saves $3,900. What does it cost depends on how many credits they earn at the college. Why does our high school not push students to PSEO? I know of one student that graduated two years ago and had his first year of college completed completely free saving his family $20-50,000. Why doesn't Springboro tell all parents and students of this option and how great it is? I have heard it was cost. That does not pencil out to me. A 3 credit hour college course costs Springboro about $1,000 that is equal to what it costs to keep them in the High School for the course but saves parents that $1,000 later. Financially it is a wash to the district. Again I ask why aren't they pushing students to this unbelievable opportunity but instead discourage it?
This sounds exactly like the Conversion argument. Those opposed are opposed because they are protecting district jobs and has nothing to do with what is good for the kids. This seems very selfish to me.
A Terrirists speaks

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

hypocrites wrote:
<quoted text>
It's nothing less than hypocritical for our Springboro teachers to be speaking out against bullying, when next month at their Atlanta national teacher's meeting, notorious BULLY pro-communist, pro-domestic terrorist Bill Ayers is scheduled to be one of the keynote speakers.
Any district that pays for attendance to this Bill Ayres teacher conference should be shut down. This man/speakers hates this country enough to try to kill and blow up a govt. building why would anyone listen to ta terrorist and absolutely should never use tax payer money to listen to him and come home and be anywhere near children. Will Lisa go to hear Billy, she is a teacher?
Second Amendment

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

A City Council and Mayor and your 2nd amendments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

This Springboro City Council, Township Trustees and School Board swore to uphold the Constitution of this United States.
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Post Secondary Education wrote:
<quoted text>
As students leave the High School to take college courses they do not have to be taught at Springboro so I would venture a guess that it costs what it saves. How much does it cost Springboro to teach this same student 3-6 credit hours at our building? A full time high school student costs about $7,800 per year. If they leave half of the school year than it saves $3,900. What does it cost depends on how many credits they earn at the college. Why does our high school not push students to PSEO? I know of one student that graduated two years ago and had his first year of college completed completely free saving his family $20-50,000. Why doesn't Springboro tell all parents and students of this option and how great it is? I have heard it was cost. That does not pencil out to me. A 3 credit hour college course costs Springboro about $1,000 that is equal to what it costs to keep them in the High School for the course but saves parents that $1,000 later. Financially it is a wash to the district. Again I ask why aren't they pushing students to this unbelievable opportunity but instead discourage it?
This sounds exactly like the Conversion argument. Those opposed are opposed because they are protecting district jobs and has nothing to do with what is good for the kids. This seems very selfish to me.
I don't think it saves the school any money because it is going to still have teach the kids who don't chose this option. It is a good deal for kids and their parents but not sure how it is better than AP classes, which are already taught.
Scoffer

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it saves the school any money because it is going to still have teach the kids who don't chose this option. It is a good deal for kids and their parents but not sure how it is better than AP classes, which are already taught.
Lurker should stop wasting words; Those first three little words say all there is to say about lurker posts: "I don't think...."
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Wow, true intellectual giants post on this board. Sorry if I don't live up to those high standards! My cut and paste skills are rusty!
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
Undergraduate students, 2012-2013

The table below shows the total cost of tuition per semester, including General Fee and Network & Technology Fee for in-state and out-of-state undergraduate students, for the academic year 2012-2013.

Credit Hours
Lower Division,
IN-STATE
2012-2013

1.....$223.10

2.....$428.20

3.....$633.30

4....$838.40

5...$1,043.50

6....$1,248.60

7....$1,453.70

8....$1,658.80

9.....$1,863.90

10....$2,069.00

11....$2,274.10

12...$2,479.20

If you have more kids in college garning college credits then you would need fewer teachers at the high school teaching current event classes, film classes, etc. Reducing our unneeded staff, redeploying our unused resources in the high school to other areas of high need throughout the school district would certainly save us money and benefit all of the children who are now struggling within our system.

2000 plus children are still not getting it according to the data provide by the state assessment tests. Redeploying our forces to best serve and advance these children's education is of paramount concern for every taxpayer in this district. If the taxpayer is going to pay for it, we should demand something for our contribution.

If we can spend less on college than we do in the high school, how can we say no to 2000 children who are not getting the education they deserve by redeploying resources to better serve that population?

How can we say no to parents and children struggling with ever increasing costs of higher education?

How can we say no to providing the basic assistance to give our children the boost forward in life?
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

That fee structure was for Miami University Middletown.

If you do not wish for your children to participate that is fine, but please do not hinder the opportunities for others who do wish to pursue this option.
Scoffer

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
Wow, true intellectual giants post on this board. Sorry if I don't live up to those high standards! My cut and paste skills are rusty!
Apology accepted! Now skip the pity party and forget about rusty cut and paste skills; stop denying the truth and educate yourself to the facts by "just watching."
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

I go to the same meetings as just watching and don't see or hear what he hears.
ATE is publically funded

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

A Terrirists speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
Any district that pays for attendance to this Bill Ayres teacher conference should be shut down. This man/speakers hates this country enough to try to kill and blow up a govt. building why would anyone listen to ta terrorist and absolutely should never use tax payer money to listen to him and come home and be anywhere near children. Will Lisa go to hear Billy, she is a teacher?
Responsible parents of Springboro schools are going to have to deal with an unforeseen problem. Left-wing ’60s radical and onetime domestic terrorist Bill Ayers will be a keynote speaker at the Association of Teacher Educators annual conference in Atlanta next month. Should we allow public dollars to be used to send Springboro administrators and teachers to Atlanta in order to hear the words of a self-described anti-government terrorist?

Ayers gained notoriety alongside his wife Bernardine Dohrn as a member of the Weather Underground during the Vietnam War. He was involved in Chicago’s “Days of Rage” riot in 1969 and went underground as a fugitive from justice after an accidental Greenwich Village townhouse explosion in 1970 killed three Weather Underground members who were preparing a bomb that prematurely detonated.

Ayers admitted in a 2001 book that he participated in bombings of the New York City Police Department headquarters, the U.S. Capitol Building and the Pentagon in the early 1970s.

He subsequently became a professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago and a “family friend” to Barack Obama before the president became a national political figure.

A sample of the wit and wisdom of Bill Ayers:
“Kill all the rich people.… Bring the revolution home. Kill your parents.”

The avowed communist revolutionary Ayers is best known for grooming Barack Hussein Obama for high office, as part of the same strategy of destroying America from within its own institutions that led him to abandon bombs for a career in education. Obama’s political career was literally launched from the apartment Ayers shared with fellow terrorist Bernardine Dohrn, inventor of the Fork Salute honoring the Manson Family’s senseless murders.

http://moonbattery.com/...
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
I go to the same meetings as just watching and don't see or hear what he hears.
You won't see it or hear it at a meeting that is designed to promote a certain image. Doing your homework, utilizing your critical thinking skills, and thinking about what you have learned are the only way to enlighten oneself.

I try to annotate my sources for your perusal. Inspect them for yourself and then get back to us with your thoughts.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

ATE is publically funded wrote:
<quoted text>
Responsible parents of Springboro schools are going to have to deal with an unforeseen problem. Left-wing ’60s radical and onetime domestic terrorist Bill Ayers will be a keynote speaker at the Association of Teacher Educators annual conference in Atlanta next month. Should we allow public dollars to be used to send Springboro administrators and teachers to Atlanta in order to hear the words of a self-described anti-government terrorist?
Ayers gained notoriety alongside his wife Bernardine Dohrn as a member of the Weather Underground during the Vietnam War. He was involved in Chicago’s “Days of Rage” riot in 1969 and went underground as a fugitive from justice after an accidental Greenwich Village townhouse explosion in 1970 killed three Weather Underground members who were preparing a bomb that prematurely detonated.
Ayers admitted in a 2001 book that he participated in bombings of the New York City Police Department headquarters, the U.S. Capitol Building and the Pentagon in the early 1970s.
He subsequently became a professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago and a “family friend” to Barack Obama before the president became a national political figure.
A sample of the wit and wisdom of Bill Ayers:
“Kill all the rich people.… Bring the revolution home. Kill your parents.”
The avowed communist revolutionary Ayers is best known for grooming Barack Hussein Obama for high office, as part of the same strategy of destroying America from within its own institutions that led him to abandon bombs for a career in education. Obama’s political career was literally launched from the apartment Ayers shared with fellow terrorist Bernardine Dohrn, inventor of the Fork Salute honoring the Manson Family’s senseless murders.
http://moonbattery.com/...
Lovely people, I can see why the teacher's union is so enthralled by them. What is not to love?

I also note that it would appear the Mr. Ayres never did renounce his father's money, radical chic was more his style. No sense being a bum when you can pontificate from tony neighborhoods far from the results of your pontificating.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 22,801 - 22,820 of30,607
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Waynesville Discussions

Search the Waynesville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Kallark27 17,774
Happy Easter to all the moozlims! 6 hr Gun Nut 1
tattoo parlors 14 hr kris moore 13
Dayton ohio moral (Jun '09) 14 hr USASEXGUIDE 4
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) 14 hr mjjcpa 170
Are Hookah Bars good for you? 17 hr Literature Lover 3
I need a rice cooker and a backpack... 17 hr Literature Lover 4
•••
•••
•••
Waynesville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Waynesville Jobs

•••
•••