Motorcycle noise prompts new laws

Motorcycle noise prompts new laws

There are 575 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Motorcycle noise prompts new laws. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Max Kerlin says he moved from Florida to Fairview for peace, quiet and anything but the roar of motorcycles easily heard from his mountainside home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 29
Next Last
US Biker

United States

#581 Oct 30, 2007
Chuck Zimmerman wrote:
Took a long walk off the Parkway yesterday. Couldn't hear the sweet sound of two non-muffled American Iron bikes for all the leaves crunching under our feet, wind blowing, water falling, creeks rushing, squirells farting, etc.
Where was the noise police with all that nature going on Chuck? Want be long someone will start whinning.
Chuck Zimmerman

Lincolnton, NC

#582 Oct 30, 2007
US Biker wrote:
<quoted text>Where was the noise police with all that nature going on Chuck? Want be long someone will start whinning.
That's right! Muffler those squirrels! Cut down those trees with their crunchy leaves. Dam the creeks.
A day without hearing a big twin under trottle is not worth living.
US Biker

United States

#583 Oct 30, 2007
Chuck Zimmerman wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right! Muffler those squirrels! Cut down those trees with their crunchy leaves. Dam the creeks.
It's 1:00 pm and there sure is alot noise here on tunnel rd. Ahhh but the sound of a couple bikes going up the road with straight pipes is music to my ears.
US Biker

United States

#584 Oct 30, 2007
Opie Taylor wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, but that centrifugal clutch is slipping so it's right in line. But at least it's not obnoxiously loud!
Hey opie if thats your old KZ it would run alot better with a 4-in-to-one Kerker or Vance and Hines pipe & some K&N filters also go down 1 tooth on the counter sproket you will enjoy the lower gear ratio with out killing your top end power. Ride loud ride proud.
Truckin

United States

#585 Oct 30, 2007
US Biker wrote:
<quoted text>Hey opie if thats your old KZ it would run alot better with a 4-in-to-one Kerker or Vance and Hines pipe & some K&N filters also go down 1 tooth on the counter sproket you will enjoy the lower gear ratio with out killing your top end power. Ride loud ride proud.
Old school Kawi inline-4's rock. Throw on a Kerker and drop in some aggressive cams and let that thing wail. K&N pods will give ya that top end rush if you don't mind a loss in gas mileage.
US Biker

United States

#586 Oct 30, 2007
Truckin wrote:
<quoted text>
Old school Kawi inline-4's rock. Throw on a Kerker and drop in some aggressive cams and let that thing wail. K&N pods will give ya that top end rush if you don't mind a loss in gas mileage.
Have had a bunch. They are valuable now but back in the early eighites you could buy a nice one for 1000.00 to 1500.00 and they were bullet proof. Serious burn-out's from a roll. Go fast bikes of the 70's are cool. Remember the H-2's? Two-stroke rockets when you throttled them you better have them aimed in the right direction !

“Ahh, life in Mayberry!”

Since: May 07

In the Beautiful South

#587 Oct 30, 2007
US Biker wrote:
<quoted text>Hey opie if thats your old KZ it would run alot better with a 4-in-to-one Kerker or Vance and Hines pipe & some K&N filters also go down 1 tooth on the counter sproket you will enjoy the lower gear ratio with out killing your top end power. Ride loud ride proud.
I already have a single K&N in the original airbox and have considered 4 singles. Almost everything on the bike is original and I haven't been able to bring myself to change it up much. The K&N made quite a difference by itself... this bike is fast. Thanks for the tips.
Truckin

United States

#588 Oct 30, 2007
US Biker wrote:
<quoted text>Have had a bunch. They are valuable now but back in the early eighites you could buy a nice one for 1000.00 to 1500.00 and they were bullet proof. Serious burn-out's from a roll. Go fast bikes of the 70's are cool. Remember the H-2's? Two-stroke rockets when you throttled them you better have them aimed in the right direction !
That's why I just HAD to go out and buy the ZRX1100 back in 1999. I've only put 18,000 miles on it but I just love the classic looks. The drivetrain in mine is bullet proof: ZX11 cams, Dale Walker Holeshot full system, K&N pods, Ivan's Jet Kit, spark timing advance, slotted cam sprockets for base cam timing advance, and some suspension tuning to get that pig to handle! I know guys are making huge HP but I've been happy with this setup.
loudpipesriskrig hts

Berwick, PA

#589 May 31, 2013
The bike enthusiasts have clearly demonstrated the true selfishness of some motorcycle riders. If not for the after market illegally equipped displacement motorcycles people would not be upset. Anything over 85db can cause hearing loss. Most motorcycles with illegal aftermarket exhaust systems easily go over 100. If you live on a road that is popular to these so-called poker runs and they pass back and forth at least 4 times during the ride, which is the case with my house, you will suffer from hearing loss. We are assaulted regularly by selfish and irresponsible operators of illegally loud, illegally equipped motorcycles. Our friends who ride and collect bikes say when one of those bikers pass them all they can think to themselves is,ďDo they have any idea they are going to affect all bikerís rights in the long run?Ē Maine was the first state to pass legislation on noise with regards to illegal bikes and guess what? The motorcycle industry council and the American Motorcycle Association supported the law. There is tremendous community backlash, not against all motorcycles, just the illegal ones. The following states have passed legislation: CA, Maine, CT, Iowa, WA, NY, WI, CO VT, NH, Mass and the USA national parks will not allow them in their parks any longer. Please donít say it is your right to ride anything as loud as you want to ride when you are causing others problems like hearing loss, high blood pressure and heart related issues and ruining others quality of life. Studies link excessive noise to those health maladies. And please donít try to say leave the bikes alone because they ride for charities. They have even more responsibility to ride legally if they are representing a charity of any kind. And because they ride for a charity does not mean it puts them above the law. If I took the muffler off of my car and was stopped I wonder if telling the cop I was riding for charity would excuse me and get me out of ticket? I donít think so. Many other states are working on legislation because of community pressure about the noisy motorcycles. Your right to your loud noise ends at my ears! My rights are just as important as your rights! Perhaps you should do your research before you shoot off your mouth! But since your mouths are open so wide I bet they match the big illegal pipes on your motorcycle!
loudpipesriskrig hts

Berwick, PA

#590 May 31, 2013
Chuck Zimmerman wrote:
<quoted text>
Your time will come when it will be a choice between paying a hefty fine or taking off those illegal pipes. You might even get arrested for resisting arrest because when the cop tells you he's taking in your won't hear from because of the hearing loss you suffered due to you illegal exhaust system!
loudpipesriskrig hts

Berwick, PA

#591 May 31, 2013
Chuck Zimmerman wrote:
<quoted text>
I seriously doubt that nature noises go over 100 db dimwit!
Cornpiper Buncy

Bristol, VA

#592 Jun 1, 2013
Wait until they hear my cornpipe farts after I get released from jail!
Thyssen Krupp

Asheville, NC

#593 Jun 1, 2013
Careful, Willard. You're here on probation.

And we'd love to drop you like a turd in the commode.
Proud Lib Progressive Dem

United States

#594 Aug 27, 2013
Bikes with motors should be and will be outlawed in time. It is coming just like guns and ammo will be taxed to where you people can't afford it anymore. We have to make you do the things we know best for you.
Fred

United States

#595 Aug 31, 2013
Load pipes are for people who want attention. Like little children. Look at me ! Look at me !
I have owned a motorcycle. It had mufflers I saw no need to make noise and disturb the peace. I enjoyed riding my motorcycle. I didn't own it to project an image or get attention.
Load pipes are obnoxious.
Loud pipes are proof of immaturity.
Harley riders are mostly posseurs with their cute little biker outfits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 29
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waynesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Who do you want for sheriff in 2010 (Dec '09) Jul 30 Top Cop 1,401
News Sylva teacher's estranged husband charged after... (Oct '10) Jul 23 MarMathis 6
News Meth lab found in Canton Jul 23 MarMathis 1
Need info Jul 17 boko IRGUN 10
Clyde Music Thread (Nov '13) Jul 15 Musikologist 7
News Preacher's son Tim Tyson explores North Carolin... (Jun '08) Jul 12 american 82
News Flying high in the wild blue yonder Jul 12 american 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waynesville Mortgages