signs

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2008

Ok help me here folks, my wife and I looking for an answer.

In or around Canton (not sure the exit) there are a series of brown signs along the west bound lanes of I-40....the number from 1-10 then 10-1...some of them face west bound and 1 set faces east bound but all the signs are along the right side of the west bound lanes of I-40.

Any help would be appreciated!
Russell Breedlove

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2008

Judged:

These signs are for gauging fog conditions. If you notice, there is a camera in the middle of these signs. There is some sort of formula for visibility that tells DOT how bad the fog is by looking at how many signs can be seen during fog or smog conditions.
signs

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

Thanks!
souphesales

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

that's not nearly as entertaining as I wanted it to be.
Kathy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2010

Wow! We've been wondering for years! Gotta love Google.
Helping out BC

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2010

Judged:

Russell Breedlove wrote:
These signs are for gauging fog conditions. If you notice, there is a camera in the middle of these signs. There is some sort of formula for visibility that tells DOT how bad the fog is by looking at how many signs can be seen during fog or smog conditions.
Actually Rus, these numbered signs were put up to help people in our area(including myself) learn to count without our fingers. This was part of a Government project called "Educating WNC". They just tell you Rus, that it is for "fog" because they don't want to offend anybody.
siw

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2010

Helping out BC wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Rus, these numbered signs were put up to help people in our area(including myself) learn to count without our fingers. This was part of a Government project called "Educating WNC". They just tell you Rus, that it is for "fog" because they don't want to offend anybody.
Now, that's funny!
JimmyTwoToes

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2011

Judged:

Sad you all didn't know this ... Are you all locals to the area? I mean I knew that when I was like 6 years old. How could you not possibly figure that out on your on!? WNC back-wood hicks!
aled

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

JimmyTwoToes wrote:
Sad you all didn't know this ... Are you all locals to the area? I mean I knew that when I was like 6 years old. How could you not possibly figure that out on your on!? WNC back-wood hicks!
"On your ON"??? If you're counting is as bad as your grammar then maybe you could use these signs to learn some things. I'd rather be a BACKWOODS hick who is curious about numbered signs on the highway than a dumbass that can't spell.
Matt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2011

Kathy wrote:
Wow! We've been wondering for years! Gotta love Google.
Yeah I know. I'm on the I 40 right now and dicide to see if I could find the purpose (I aint drivin so don't worry)
TravelingSomebod y

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2011

Judged:

Why do some people have to throw something rude and uneducated into a place that others are trying to simply find out the answer to a question? Oh well, it just shows their lack of things to do other than troll the Internet looking for a way to make themselves feel better and try to be something they aren't, like, um, smart!!!
honeofamom

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2011

I'm sure he figured it out on his own at six years old. If he is that smart then he needs to figure out some of our other problems for us. Maybe the solution to our economic problems, world hunger or maybe even world peace. That would be wonderful!
Dmm

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2011

Much appreciated! I've wondered for so long.
MEH

Denver, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2011

Thanks for this post!! We have traveled this road for years and my Dad always asks what those signs are so I decided to google it! Now we know:) Thanks!
Chucky Grammar

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2012

Judged:

aled wrote:
<quoted text>
"On your ON"??? If you're counting is as bad as your grammar then maybe you could use these signs to learn some things. I'd rather be a BACKWOODS hick who is curious about numbered signs on the highway than a dumbass that can't spell.
You have to love posts criticizing the grammar or spelling of others, because invariably they contain errors of their own. That should be "your" instead of "you're" and "who" instead of "that," Mr. Wizard.
mimi

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

There to gauge proper following distance
MomofChef

Clover, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Fog is definitely the answer and makes great sense. Much like what they use at airports. We saw the camera. And we make this drive often between OK and Asheville and have always wondered...googled it on my laptop as we passed them by this time. Thanks for satisfying our curiosity.
HoneyDee

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Appreciate the info; learned something today and that makes it a great day!
Miss Izzy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

TravelingSomebody wrote:
Why do some people have to throw something rude and uneducated into a place that others are trying to simply find out the answer to a question? Oh well, it just shows their lack of things to do other than troll the Internet looking for a way to make themselves feel better and try to be something they aren't, like, um, smart!!!
Thank you! I've always heard that the only 'dumb' question is the one an individual has, but doesn't ask! I've wondered about the signs for years (and, no, I'm not from the area but travel through several times a year on trips to my parents' home). I also live near a couple of high fog areas, and there has been at least one multi-car accidents in both - one involved over 10 cars and the other involved more than 30 AND resulted in 11 fatalities - and guess what? There isn't a single little brown numbered sign to be seen in either location! So, the little brown sign question isn't so dumb!!
Susiesailor

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Aww y'all don't hate on Jimmie Two Toes. He's just being funny

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Waynesville Discussions

Search the Waynesville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 11 min Waco 1909 49,469
Gospel news: Big night of music coming to Don G... Fri Nathaniel roland 1
Who will be the next sheriff in Jackson County NC? Apr 13 veteran voter 115
Clyde Music Thread Apr 8 Musikologist 4
Thinking of moving to Shelby (Jul '13) Apr 4 Stuck here 7
Triad Wiccans gather to meditate (Apr '07) Apr 3 Mahdi 65
Maggie Valley Music Thread Mar 28 Musikologist 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Waynesville Jobs

•••