Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#42039 Aug 20, 2013
TSF wrote:
I am not really finding fault with that private school. I am merely pointing out that it is not competitive with public schools in terms of advanced courses. Do they teach chemistry? Physics? Advanced biology? Do they have well equipped laboratories, supplies and required safety equipment needed to teach lab technique and remove the abstraction of studied principles ? With only online advanced coursed available , I would say NOT.
In a republican dream world, being competenIt in 8th grade reading, writing and arithmetic is all that is needed to succeed in todays world. Art , music and sports enhance the quality of peoples lives. But todays world is a technical world and that is where the jobs are.
<quoted text>
How do you come to the conclusion that private schools are inferior to public schools? The private school that I went to was far advanced over the public schools I'd attended..

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#42040 Aug 20, 2013
TSF wrote:
I am not really finding fault with that private school. I am merely pointing out that it is not competitive with public schools in terms of advanced courses. Do they teach chemistry? Physics? Advanced biology? Do they have well equipped laboratories, supplies and required safety equipment needed to teach lab technique and remove the abstraction of studied principles ? With only online advanced coursed available , I would say NOT.
In a republican dream world, being competent in 8th grade reading, writing and arithmetic is all that is needed to succeed in todays world. Art , music and sports enhance the quality of peoples lives. But todays world is a technical world and that is where the jobs are.
<quoted text>
"Recent comments by an Illinois school district official seem to suggest it doesn’t matter if students get simple arithmetic wrong under new Common Core standards, but those remarks highlighted in some news reports don’t give the full context.

Several news outlets have seized on remarks made last month by Grayslake, Ill. Community Consolidated School District 46 curriculum coordinator Amanda August in which she said it matters less if students answer 3 x 4 incorrectly as long as they can explain how they arrived at their final answer.

But the 43-second clip of August’s response being highlighted, in which she explains the “different ways” students will be taught to do problems under Common Core, does not show the first part of her answer in which she said students should “come up with the same answer no matter how they do” the problem.

The truncated clip features August’s statement:“But even under the new Common Core if even if they said 3 x 4 was 11, if they were able to explain their reasoning and explain how they came up with their answer, really in words and oral explanations and they showed it in a picture but they just got the final number wrong? We’re more focusing on the how and the why." Do you agree? Just wondering.

Location hidden

#42041 Aug 20, 2013
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>"Recent comments by an Illinois school district official seem to suggest it doesn’t matter if students get simple arithmetic wrong under new Common Core standards, but those remarks highlighted in some news reports don’t give the full context.
Several news outlets have seized on remarks made last month by Grayslake, Ill. Community Consolidated School District 46 curriculum coordinator Amanda August in which she said it matters less if students answer 3 x 4 incorrectly as long as they can explain how they arrived at their final answer.
But the 43-second clip of August’s response being highlighted, in which she explains the “different ways” students will be taught to do problems under Common Core, does not show the first part of her answer in which she said students should “come up with the same answer no matter how they do” the problem.
The truncated clip features August’s statement:“But even under the new Common Core if even if they said 3 x 4 was 11, if they were able to explain their reasoning and explain how they came up with their answer, really in words and oral explanations and they showed it in a picture but they just got the final number wrong? We’re more focusing on the how and the why." Do you agree? Just wondering.
OMG!!!! Now its politically incorrect to get the wrong answer in mathematics!!!! HOW can we compete against China and Russia???? ITS OVER FOR AMERICA!!!!
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#42042 Aug 20, 2013
The private schools just do not have the facilities required for the teaching of advanced laboratory classes like chemistry, physics biology, etc. That is not to say that what they do teach is inferior. It is saying they are limited in the scope necessary to prepare high school students for engineering, chemistry, physics, biology, and technical courses they will encounter in college and technical institutions. I do not oppose private school. It is just short sighted by our legislature to purposefully destroy public education in an attempt to make the private schools competitive.
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> How do you come to the conclusion that private schools are inferior to public schools? The private school that I went to was far advanced over the public schools I'd attended..
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#42043 Aug 20, 2013
Yes. Lets talk about Tony Bennet, former superintendent of Illinois public schools.
It has just been made public that while superintendent, he got the grade of Christel House Academy, founded by Christel DeHaan, changed from a C to and A. He SAYS it had nothing to do with Christel DeHaan giving him $130,000 dollars or with the fact that she also gave millions to the Ill. republican party.
With that news, even Rick Scott, governor of Florida was embarrassed by the blatant pay to play revelation and asked Bennet to resign as Florida Education Commissioner.
Worthy of note is the FACT that NC legislature has just adopted the same school grading system for public schools that has failed in Illinois and brought forth this public corruption.
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>"Recent comments by an Illinois school district official seem to suggest it doesn’t matter if students get simple arithmetic wrong under new Common Core standards, but those remarks highlighted in some news reports don’t give the full context.
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#42044 Aug 20, 2013
Read the post more carefully
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> OMG!!!! Now its politically incorrect to get the wrong answer in mathematics!!!! HOW can we compete against China and Russia???? ITS OVER FOR AMERICA!!!!
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#42045 Aug 20, 2013
hole in the wall

United States

#42046 Aug 20, 2013
Brainwashed obama lovers dont have a clue.
State of Denial

Charlotte, NC

#42047 Aug 20, 2013
TSF wrote:
The private schools just do not have the facilities required for the teaching of advanced laboratory classes like chemistry, physics biology, etc. That is not to say that what they do teach is inferior. It is saying they are limited in the scope necessary to prepare high school students for engineering, chemistry, physics, biology, and technical courses they will encounter in college and technical institutions. I do not oppose private school. It is just short sighted by our legislature to purposefully destroy public education in an attempt to make the private schools competitive.
<quoted text>
They have a science and computer lab:

Science:

Biology (Honors available)

Chemistry (Honors available)

Environmental Science
(Honors available)

Physics (Honors available)

Mathematics:

Algebra I

Geometry (Honors available)

Algebra II (Honors available)

Advanced Models and Functions

Discrete Math Honors

Pre-Calculus Honors

AP Calculus AB

AP Calculus BC

AP Statistics

AP Biology

AP Chemistry

AP Environmental Science

AP Physics B

Location hidden

#42048 Aug 20, 2013
TSF wrote:
Well that's great.I was worried, that since"everyone is a winner", that every answer would be "correct".

Location hidden

#42049 Aug 20, 2013
TSF wrote:
Yes. Lets talk about Tony Bennet, former superintendent of Illinois public schools.
It has just been made public that while superintendent, he got the grade of Christel House Academy, founded by Christel DeHaan, changed from a C to and A. He SAYS it had nothing to do with Christel DeHaan giving him $130,000 dollars or with the fact that she also gave millions to the Ill. republican party.
With that news, even Rick Scott, governor of Florida was embarrassed by the blatant pay to play revelation and asked Bennet to resign as Florida Education Commissioner.
Worthy of note is the FACT that NC legislature has just adopted the same school grading system for public schools that has failed in Illinois and brought forth this public corruption.
<quoted text>
Don't the schools get graded by how well the students perform?

Location hidden

#42050 Aug 20, 2013
TSF wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you agree with the "Common Core" system? I'm asking about the education system, since you talk about it so much, not bashing the Republican party. What do you think of the policy?

Location hidden

#42051 Aug 20, 2013
waco1909

Marrakech, Morocco

#42052 Aug 20, 2013
This may all be true,but the real problem is my addiction to masturbation and love of dead black kids.Not even Obamacare can help me beat this problem.
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#42053 Aug 20, 2013
Available "online". not the same. I can do that at home.
Mixing baking soda and vinegar doesn't exactly qualify as a complete chemistry lab course.

Get real. You cannot believe that this in any way meets the needs of today's students. If you do,---geese.
State of Denial wrote:
<quoted text>
They have a science and computer lab:
Science:
Biology (Honors available)
Chemistry (Honors available)
Environmental Science
(Honors available)
Physics (Honors available)
Mathematics:
Algebra I
Geometry (Honors available)
Algebra II (Honors available)
Advanced Models and Functions
Discrete Math Honors
Pre-Calculus Honors
AP Calculus AB
AP Calculus BC
AP Statistics
AP Biology
AP Chemistry
AP Environmental Science
AP Physics B
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#42054 Aug 20, 2013
Perform at what? In this case, the school was graded based on what the founder contributed to the Illinois state superintendent
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>Don't the schools get graded by how well the students perform?
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#42055 Aug 20, 2013
It went over your head or you are being dishonest. The lady explained that it didn't matter how the student got the correct answer. The anti education republikan noise machine just left that part out of the clip. That shit works on idiots , it doesn't
gain respect or trust in the more intelligent.
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Well that's great.I was worried, that since"everyone is a winner", that every answer would be "correct".

Location hidden

#42056 Aug 20, 2013
TSF wrote:
Perform at what? In this case, the school was graded based on what the founder contributed to the Illinois state superintendent
<quoted text>
OK, I see your not on the same page. It's OK, it must have been the school you attended. I'm not talking about a contribution. Maybe the next topic, you can grasp.
TSF

Holly Springs, NC

#42057 Aug 20, 2013
The idea of common core started in 2009 and was supported by republicans, democrats , teacher associations and teacher unions. But when Obama started supporting it, the tea party idiots went into conniption's in opposition. The idea is to standardize curricula on a nationwide basis. Yes ,I support that idea.
But, common core will require a whole new batch of billion dollar tests which has the politicians salivating with anticipation of pocket jingle from the testing lobby and the big industry of testing.. So unless we are careful, we will just end up with more constant expensive testing and no teaching. If that happens, as with now, the results will not be favorable and that will be viewed by the politicians as more evidence of the need for more tests--and more whip masters-- and naturally ---more private schools where they take the what color is the red barn test and have excellent results.---.brought on by the marvel of uneducated instructors who have not had even criminal background checks.
I have had a really crazy idea that instead of fighting each other we could actually consider what would be best for the children and the future instead of obsessing in cataleptic fits of ideology.
emlu wrote:
<quoted text>Do you agree with the "Common Core" system? I'm asking about the education system, since you talk about it so much, not bashing the Republican party. What do you think of the policy?
State of Denial

Charlotte, NC

#42058 Aug 20, 2013
TSF wrote:
Available "online". not the same. I can do that at home.
Mixing baking soda and vinegar doesn't exactly qualify as a complete chemistry lab course.
Get real. You cannot believe that this in any way meets the needs of today's students. If you do,---geese.
<quoted text>

There's a phone number to the school CALL.

It's been some years now but my children attended there and online computer courses were not available. Neither were accepted to the colleges they were without science and maths classes, including labs.

As usual you're right because you don't want to see anything, or anyone you disagree with succeed. You're wrong on this one, as many of the other topics you've become an authority on.

You've yet to show statistics about Republicans hating blacks and Hispanics. Where's the information to back your claim?

You also never posted back about the definition of "collectivism". Not willing to take on the dictionary?

Just because you think something doesn't make it a fact Jack.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waynesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Friendly appliance RIP OFF Dec 1 Wake Up 1
Stockings and Garter Belts: (Sep '07) Nov 16 Questions 69
Nathan dyer Nov '17 THS class of 2012 1
News Long-time Lincoln Co Sheriff's Deputy retires a... Oct '17 LCcitizen 1
Dusty Price Oct '17 Casey 1
Blacks ( our own ISIS) Oct '17 Wetinpantyhose 2
News 6-year-old drowns in indoor hotel pool in North... Sep '17 evie 1

Waynesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance