A Police Chase Ends with a Teenager going to the Hospital - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, ...

A teenager was sent to the hospital following a police chase and crash in Waynesboro Wednesday night. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
JCS

Patrick Springs, VA

#1 Oct 18, 2012
Prevent him from getting his license, ever!
WOW

Fishersville, VA

#2 Oct 18, 2012
This is crazy! Waynesboro needs something for these children to do besides the boys and girls club. So many other incident with teens has been going on lately that hasn't been reported. They need to open up some type of place for teens so they will have something to do.
Eaglescout1984

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Oct 18, 2012
Someone is going to be grounded until his 18th birthday. And if it were my kid, would be working a part-time job to pay me, because it's possible their insurance company would consider him an unauthorized user and refuse to pay for the damages.
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Oct 18, 2012
WOW wrote:
This is crazy! Waynesboro needs something for these children to do besides the boys and girls club. So many other incident with teens has been going on lately that hasn't been reported. They need to open up some type of place for teens so they will have something to do.
How about homework? How about getting the kids involved in sports after school?
How about making the parents legally responsible for their children's actions?
Anonymous

United States

#5 Oct 18, 2012
Disillusioned wrote:
<quoted text>
How about homework? How about getting the kids involved in sports after school?
How about making the parents legally responsible for their children's actions?
Parents ARE legally responsible for their children's actions.
WOW

Fishersville, VA

#6 Oct 18, 2012
I don't think it's the parents fault. The parents try as hard as they can. When you have a rebellious teen that has no respect for authority or their parents then they need to be held accountable for their own actions. I have one myself and I have cried out for help for a couple years now meaning called the law on him more than a five times and took him to the juvenile intake officer only for them to tell me good luck. But when you try to discipline them or give them that good old fashion butt whooping you used to get then they want to arrest you. So many are out of hand, and the parents try and try but the police and everyone else say I'm sorry there is nothing we can do. Homework??? They have 90 min classes and most of the time it is fit in there so the kids can complete their homework in class and sports...so many are not interested in playing for Waynesboro their reputation is not the best in sports. Honestly this kid was involved in sports that was involved in this accident.
what---

Waynesboro, VA

#8 Oct 18, 2012
I can say it is not the parent's fault. The Mother called police when the son took the vehicle so she did her part because most parents would have never got the cops involved.She told the police he had never driven before so I think a "chase" was wrong and really attributed to the accident. They could have following him and maybe blocked him in or something but his speed must have been really high trying to alude the police. Not sure why he decided to take this joy ride but damn if he didn't tear up some stuff.
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

#9 Oct 18, 2012
Eaglescout1984 wrote:
Someone is going to be grounded until his 18th birthday. And if it were my kid, would be working a part-time job to pay me, because it's possible their insurance company would consider him an unauthorized user and refuse to pay for the damages.
Oh, yeah, they can count on that happening for sure. Possibly, however, he had his learner's and was on the policy. We don't know.
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

#10 Oct 18, 2012
what--- wrote:
I can say it is not the parent's fault. The Mother called police when the son took the vehicle so she did her part because most parents would have never got the cops involved.She told the police he had never driven before so I think a "chase" was wrong and really attributed to the accident. They could have following him and maybe blocked him in or something but his speed must have been really high trying to alude the police. Not sure why he decided to take this joy ride but damn if he didn't tear up some stuff.
Guess he didn't have his learner's.
Fran

Rocky Mount, VA

#11 Oct 18, 2012
I agree with "WHAT" the mother called the police, right thing to do. Police, wrong thing to do, chase a kid or anybody in a vehicle. Too many ifs, people in way, other vehicles in way, animals in way causing havoc. They should have kept a watch on him, following until he stopped,(yes he would have stopped). Maybe he would have gone to a store or friends house, arrested him at that time, could have saved alot of damage to him & property.
Our Police are for our protection, but sometimes are to quick to jump in feet first without thinking about the outcome of a situation.
Ice Dogg

Richmond, VA

#12 Oct 18, 2012
This behavior is not new people. Has nothing to do with lack of activities. Just the young blood boiling. Glad he survived, many don't.
Amazed

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Oct 18, 2012
Seriously? The police chased him until he crashed? where did they think he was going to go? Follow him. Call another squad card. Stop him down the road.
Get me another beer woman

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Oct 18, 2012
Mama didn't make the best choice in this situation herself. She should have known the final outcome when she called the cops. If the kid wouldn't listen to her, he darn sure wasn't going to stop for the cops. And I'm sure mama has watched enough TV and movies to know the cops will chase until a devastating crash takes place. I bet mama wishes she had not called the police now. They are not your friend.
Get me another beer woman

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Oct 18, 2012
Amazed wrote:
Seriously? The police chased him until he crashed? where did they think he was going to go? Follow him. Call another squad card. Stop him down the road.
As soon as I finished my reply, I saw yours. Cops back off? They physically and mentally can't do it. Even if their department policy says to do it, they can't. It's an ego thing. Ain't no 15 year old kid gonna get away from them! It's absolutely crazy to pursue somebody when they already know who it is. Innocent bystanders could have been killed. Get a warrant for the kid and arrest him the next day, that's the proper thing to do.
Steve

Lyndhurst, VA

#16 Oct 18, 2012
WOW wrote:
This is crazy! Waynesboro needs something for these children to do besides the boys and girls club. So many other incident with teens has been going on lately that hasn't been reported. They need to open up some type of place for teens so they will have something to do.
I disagree. It isn't Waynesboro's responsibility, or anyone elses, to entertain or contain the youth. It is the parents responsibility to teach their kids personal responsibility and wisdom. It is the parents responsibility, and the youth themselves who are accountable and to blame.
wwtjdo

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Oct 18, 2012
Wow! Monday morning quarterbacking. Let the kid drive & not pursue..follow...eventually he'll go home & you can arrest him the next day. What kind of idiocy is that..@What..you can say for certain it wasn't the parent's fault..she shouldn't have called the police..he's never driven before..@Get me another beer...So, they should have just let him cruise for however long he wanted too until he decided to go home....what if the police took your advice & he ended up killing an innocent family..then i'd be, the police should have stopped him....they followed their procedure's..your name & ingnorance of law enforcement sounds like you've had a few run in's with the police...@Fran..he would have stopped...When? He had a chance right away & he refused..too many people have no idea what goes through people's mind whan they're committing crimes...The police did what they're paid to do..stop cuddling & making excuse's for these punks...Crime is rampant in this country because too many criminals get too many breaks..
Guest

Waynesboro, VA

#18 Oct 18, 2012
Fran wrote:
I agree with "WHAT" the mother called the police, right thing to do. Police, wrong thing to do, chase a kid or anybody in a vehicle. Too many ifs, people in way, other vehicles in way, animals in way causing havoc. They should have kept a watch on him, following until he stopped,(yes he would have stopped). Maybe he would have gone to a store or friends house, arrested him at that time, could have saved alot of damage to him & property.
Our Police are for our protection, but sometimes are to quick to jump in feet first without thinking about the outcome of a situation.
So what happens if the police "follow him" and he hits a pedestrian? Cop and City get sued. That's what. Lets have the police handle their business... I don't see them coming to McDonalds telling you how to make fries.
what---

Waynesboro, VA

#19 Oct 18, 2012
County Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess he didn't have his learner's.
Yes, I am guessing no learners if she said he had never driven. What a scary thought of how many people could have been hurt during this incident.
Get me another beer woman

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Oct 18, 2012
what--- wrote:
<quoted text> What a scary thought of how many people could have been hurt during this incident.
This is why a pursuit should not have taken place. The police don't care who they put in risk.
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Oct 18, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Parents ARE legally responsible for their children's actions.
Yes, according to the law until they are 18. However, I've not heard of any parents paying large fines or going to jail for their children's crimes. Instead the children get a nominal punishment and their records are expunged when they come of age.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waynesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
False prophets of Augusta County, Va Oct 18 Livn4Him 2
Waynesboro Lowes Manager Oct 15 Bad Attitude 2
Waynesboro Police Investigate Fishburne Militar... (Oct '12) Oct 8 Ringer 26
Crimora Man Denied Bond for Second Time (Jul '13) Oct 7 heather stamper 7
Missing Persons Case Has a Few Twists (Jun '13) Oct 1 Heatherstamper 5
Waynesboro Lowes (Apr '13) Sep 26 Lowes Appliances 7
Augusta Man Faces Felony Sex Charges - NBC29 WV... (Nov '12) Sep '14 Anonymous A 5
Waynesboro Dating
Find my Match

Waynesboro Jobs

Waynesboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Waynesboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Waynesboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]