Swannanoa Palace Opens to the Public ...

Swannanoa Palace Opens to the Public - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

There are 9 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Oct 15, 2012, titled Swannanoa Palace Opens to the Public - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

It's not often you get to tour a palace, especially in Virginia. But this weekend, visitors to Afton Mountain will have a chance to take a tour fit for a king.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

happy

United States

#3 Oct 16, 2012
This use to be open to the public. I went up there years ago. Why did they stop doing tours?
Not a Lib

United States

#6 Oct 16, 2012
Jogger and Silly, there is a very simple solution. If you don't want to pay the $6, then don't. Afterall, these property owners don't owe you any explanation for charging a fee.
I think it's great that they are opening it and think $6 is reasonable. It is a very interesting and unusual piece of property.
werethere

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Oct 16, 2012
Walter (painter, sculptor and philospher) and his wife, Lao, Russell lived there and founded the University of Science and Philosophy. I think Cary Grant visited there after it had been falling derelict. Many years ago, it was till open to the public for meditation nights, and there was a statue of Christ in the back garden that fell apart when they tried to move it. Russell did some interesting sculptures of characters from Twain's stories, some atomic-looking paintings and some that looked like Maxfield Parish's, but his philosphical ramblings were on the wacky side, imo. He was considered a modern day Da Vinci by some. As I recall, a group of investors bought the place about 5 years ago to rent it for weddings and kicked the new agers out. It's a scale of the Villa de Medici, right?
JMK

Miamisburg, OH

#12 Oct 16, 2012
I had heard people talk about it but I didn't really know anything about or realize exactly what it was. Looks like it might be kind of cool to see, and it's cheaper than a movie ticket.
werethere

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Oct 16, 2012
built by the rich guy that also built Maymont in Richmond (on the banks of the James River, with the Japanese garden down below. In Maymont, the lady of the house kept a swa-shaped bed in the master bedroom. At Swananoa, there's a (Tiffany?) stained glass window at the top of the stairs of her and the sunset. The woodwork was amazing. Russell sculpted the eyes so they looked alive (recessed the pupils), he drew amazing detial for newspaer front pages before there were photos.
Tim Thompson

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#14 Oct 20, 2012
I First visited Swannanoa as a child and it's remained in my heart and mind since.
Suzanne

Powhatan, VA

#15 Oct 21, 2012
we went to visit the castle. It was absolutely beautiful; but it was also really a sad statement on the integrity of the owner. There was trash all over the place...he is letting it fall apart. There is significant structural damage that if it is not fixed soon, this treasure will fall in on itself. This castle used to be rich in every sense, with a great deal of history. to see it in such disrepair was sad, and very short sighted on the owners part.
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Oct 21, 2012
Suzanne wrote:
we went to visit the castle. It was absolutely beautiful; but it was also really a sad statement on the integrity of the owner. There was trash all over the place...he is letting it fall apart. There is significant structural damage that if it is not fixed soon, this treasure will fall in on itself. This castle used to be rich in every sense, with a great deal of history. to see it in such disrepair was sad, and very short sighted on the owners part.
Thanks for that. I was considering a visit, but with trash everywhere, no thanks. Especially while charging a $6 entrance fee. Really sad.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Oct 21, 2012
No thanks. I'll stay in my castle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waynesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shelton Bragg (CI) Mar '18 Youshouldknow 1
Black Montainer Feb '18 Knightrider 2
Virginia Department Corrections Feb '18 Failed Leadership 1
toy store Jan '18 new 1
Shameful McDonalds Nov '17 Shameful McDonalds 1
Prison Officers Alone (Sep '17) Sep '17 Prison Officers A... 1
Replace DOC Leadership (Aug '17) Aug '17 Replace DOC Leade... 1

Waynesboro Jobs

Personal Finance

Waynesboro Mortgages