Man Hit by SUV on Whitehead Road

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Emergency crews rushed the victim to the UVA Medical Center, but the man does not appear to have severe injuries.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 60 of64
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Wise One

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

SpiderCat wrote:
<quoted text>
If you hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk it is your fault. Every time. No exceptions.
Why do they have hand signs for them to stop walking at and they keep walking. If they have a red stop hand then they should stop because the drivers have to stop at red stop lights. So if it's ok for them to walk on red hand signs then it should be ok to drive through a red light sign. If one got to obey the law then everyone should obey the law.If they don't stop walking on red hand stop light then the drivers will never move at the stop area. If they not going to obey the stop hand sign and the police isn't going to give them tickets then take them down and the drivers will know then to stop but red means red STOP. Let one step out in front of you and see how quick you can stop and let you hit one and see what you will say about it then. You would cry a river over that is wrong for them to walk out in front of you.
SpiderCat

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

Wise One wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do they have hand signs for them to stop walking at and they keep walking. If they have a red stop hand then they should stop because the drivers have to stop at red stop lights. So if it's ok for them to walk on red hand signs then it should be ok to drive through a red light sign. If one got to obey the law then everyone should obey the law.If they don't stop walking on red hand stop light then the drivers will never move at the stop area. If they not going to obey the stop hand sign and the police isn't going to give them tickets then take them down and the drivers will know then to stop but red means red STOP. Let one step out in front of you and see how quick you can stop and let you hit one and see what you will say about it then. You would cry a river over that is wrong for them to walk out in front of you.
Pedestrians are supposed to foloow the signal. But you don't get a free pass to hit them if they are slow or just dumb and don't.
NativeGraduate

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

As a Charlottesville native and UVa Graduate I think all students should be educated on proper crossing procedures. It would take very little time and effort for UVa to produce a document that covers Charlottesville, and Virginia laws and common problems around town. The biggest issue is at the intersection of Shamrock Road and JPA: Students regularly cross without having the right away (don't walk hand) and assume that is allowed because they are in the crosswalk. I have almost hit several joggers who ran out in front of me without even looking at the signal. It is very sad that it took a student suffering a serious injury to bring this issue to light. Regardless of who is at fault, students should be well-versed in local traffic laws and people driving recklessly or distractedly should be held accountable. On that note, I was almost hit in a crosswalk in Charlottesville a few months ago because the driver never saw me. I dove out of the way and was uninjured. If I had been jogging with my headphones on it would have been a different story. I now keep my music low when I'm running on streets because pedestrian and driver awareness is a must.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

If you get hit by a car no matter where, crosswalk, no cross walk, signs, no signs, its your dumarse fault. Whether you belonged there is incidental, most drivers these days ain't all there so you have to be aware of whats coming. If not, you can argue with Darwin. To cross any road without looking is just plane dumb.
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

SpiderCat wrote:
<quoted text>
If you see lots of pedestrians & crosswalks slow down.
If you hit someone in a crosswalk, it is absolutely your fault & I hope you are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Whoa, partner. Have you attempted to drive down that road or any nearby roads? I have and do so on a regular basis. I simply made the observation that there are often students walking in several directions both in and out of the crosswalks in that area, and VERY often students bolt into crosswalks without stopping -- with very little time to react. I never said drivers should not be cautious. If they were not, there would be frequent cases of pedestrians hit by vehicles around grounds. Students need to be more aware, also.

That's my point. I suggest you read more carefully before attacking someone for their post.
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

UVa Student wrote:
I live in the same dorm as the guy who was hit. He is actually hurt pretty bad. People barreling down the street we live on in massive SUVs clearly need to SLOW DOWN. This is our University. You are allowed to drive through it, but you need to yield to the students who attend school here.
Wouldn't it be ironic if the driver is a student?
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

Disillusioned wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't it be ironic if the driver is a student?
It would be poetic.
Boodreau

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

NativeGraduate wrote:
As a Charlottesville native and UVa Graduate I think all students should be educated on proper crossing procedures. It would take very little time and effort for UVa to produce a document that covers Charlottesville, and Virginia laws and common problems around town. The biggest issue is at the intersection of Shamrock Road and JPA: Students regularly cross without having the right away (don't walk hand) and assume that is allowed because they are in the crosswalk. I have almost hit several joggers who ran out in front of me without even looking at the signal. It is very sad that it took a student suffering a serious injury to bring this issue to light. Regardless of who is at fault, students should be well-versed in local traffic laws and people driving recklessly or distractedly should be held accountable. On that note, I was almost hit in a crosswalk in Charlottesville a few months ago because the driver never saw me. I dove out of the way and was uninjured. If I had been jogging with my headphones on it would have been a different story. I now keep my music low when I'm running on streets because pedestrian and driver awareness is a must.
If you are at UVA you should probably have enough sense to cross a street without the aid of a document.WOW!!!!!!!!!
Boodreau

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Back me up on that one sez
think you know it all

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

The driver was 16mph over the speed limit in a residential area that is obviously buzzing with students rushing to get places. you may be inclined to feeling aggravated against people who don't look before they cross the road because you don't like having to pay extra attention, but the driver is the one in the tank who can do real damage, so if you're going to drive around you should keep that in mind and be willing to take on the responsibility of greater attention and care. Stop judging a student for being careless (which you're assuming on no basis) when it was the driver who was breaking the law.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Boodreau wrote:
<quoted text>If you are at UVA you should probably have enough sense to cross a street without the aid of a document.WOW!!!!!!!!!
Its a real wonder more students don't get nail either walking across intersections or riding bikes. They are totally self absorbed, which means one must give credit to the drivers around here that show a high degree of patience when dealing with students, who do be fair, have brains that have not yet fully developed yet.
real central Va Marine

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

UVa Student wrote:
I live in the same dorm as the guy who was hit. He is actually hurt pretty bad. People barreling down the street we live on in massive SUVs clearly need to SLOW DOWN. This is our University. You are allowed to drive through it, but you need to yield to the students who attend school here.
(Typical entitlement attitude of our youth) It was OUR university before you were born; When you leave the "Womb" of UVa, you will STILL need to look both ways before you cross the street. EVERY time you cross in front of a vehicle, and expect it to stop on a dime because "I'm in the crosswalk, Damnitt", you will lose.
real central Va Marine

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

UVAStudent wrote:
I grew up in the area and now attend the University of Virginia. Yes, the area is flooded with pedestrians, but what else would you expect at a University?
I think many should take note that pedestrians have the right of way in crosswalks.
Please drive carefully around the University. Just because we're sometimes aggressive crosswalk-walkers does not mean that we think we "own this town." However, the University has always been a central part of Charlottesville, and the students have their place here as well.
Poster #1 thinks they "own" this university.
UVA DAD

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

I drive that area most every day- my biggest fear is that I will hit a student- yes someones child- someone with a future etc. However that same day a young person came out of the aquatics and fitness center headed down Whitehead then entered my driving lane and walked straight towards me ( in the center of my lane- not the road!) until I stopped completely (all the time with a blank stare)- upon almost hitting my car she then crossed the road to the car she parked at the meters. Students whehter you are in the right or wrongg( as she was ) the injury hurts the same! We do not want to hit you but you can't simply step inot (or not into) a crosswalk and assume everyone around you sees you!-
Concerned

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

I think that the most vital concern that many are choosing to overlook is what is at stake. Irregardless of right or wrong, this is potentially a matter of human life which is far to heavy a topic to brush aside in a series of quarrels that examine not the life to be protected, but laws, rules, and opinions.

Someones life was almost lost. Whether one feels inclined to put blame on either end, this time right now and the comments on the post should be directed towards supporting this young man. Even for those who may feel he is to blame, I find it difficult to imagine that anyone would wish harm on a stranger. Please keep the student in your prayers, and look to support his recovery before jumping into a torrent of accusations.

In the near future, this event may, and should spark a community wide discussion about ways to increase safety and awareness on UVA and Charlottesville's roads. Let us leave this discussion to a public forum with mediated conflict advisors trained to sort out differences within a community. For now, please remember this student and look to support his recover. He is a a person, a student, a life, not just a story.

- Affectionately a fellow friend, Wahoo, and member of the greater Charlottesville community
real central Va Marine

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Concerned wrote:
I think that the most vital concern that many are choosing to overlook is what is at stake. Irregardless of right or wrong, this is potentially a matter of human life which is far to heavy a topic to brush aside in a series of quarrels that examine not the life to be protected, but laws, rules, and opinions.
Someones life was almost lost. Whether one feels inclined to put blame on either end, this time right now and the comments on the post should be directed towards supporting this young man. Even for those who may feel he is to blame, I find it difficult to imagine that anyone would wish harm on a stranger. Please keep the student in your prayers, and look to support his recovery before jumping into a torrent of accusations.
In the near future, this event may, and should spark a community wide discussion about ways to increase safety and awareness on UVA and Charlottesville's roads. Let us leave this discussion to a public forum with mediated conflict advisors trained to sort out differences within a community. For now, please remember this student and look to support his recover. He is a a person, a student, a life, not just a story.
- Affectionately a fellow friend, Wahoo, and member of the greater Charlottesville community
Most don't wish harm on a stranger, but wish SMARTS on the stranger, and an awareness of the rest of humanity.
Boodreau

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

real central Va Marine wrote:
<quoted text>(Typical entitlement attitude of our youth) It was OUR university before you were born; When you leave the "Womb" of UVa, you will STILL need to look both ways before you cross the street. EVERY time you cross in front of a vehicle, and expect it to stop on a dime because "I'm in the crosswalk, Damnitt", you will lose.
I love NativeGraduates idea. Stunning to think the next generation of doctors, lawyers, engineers, CEOs and politicians need a document from the university so they know how to cross the road. SMH
Visitor

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Wise One wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU SHOULD GET A LIFE AND GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM. There is a law on JAY WALKERS and most of the walkers who walks out in front of a car is JAY WALKING. I don't know if this guy was or not but if he wasn't then they would have chargd the driver on the spot so it seems like a JAY WALKING case. YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS WALKING AROUND WITH BLINDERS ON AND YOU BETTER TAKE IT OFF BEFORE SOMEONE KNOCKS IT OFF. Maybe you should JAY WALK and some one take your lights out once and I bet you will think before you do it again. You must be DUMB AND DUMMER. It'a people like you that sets bad ideals for the young ones and it's people like you who have made this town like trash. Dumme. Don't hate Just saying. If you don't like it then DON'T READ IT. Ha!Ha!Ha.
For you to post as "Wise," you are really STUPID!!!!!!!! Go get yourself an education! Obviously, you never graduated from anywhere and probably some bum that hides on the street corners that looks through the trash that people set out for the trash truck! Better be careful, they'll see you as trash and take you with them!
G Luv

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

"It was OUR university before you were born..."

Nearly as ironic as car drivers complaining about 'entitled' pedestrians...
Student

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

I am truly horrified at these comments. Regardless of whose fault it was, somebody was horribly injured. You have a right to your opinions, but please show some respect. There is absolutely no need to voice negativity here, in the comments of an article that is hardly four sentences long. Saying these things brings nothing but hurt to the student and to his community, who are grieving with him over this unfortunate event. Maybe I have too much faith in humanity, but I had hoped to see many more wishes for a speedy recovery and for all to be well. Think about if this was your son, your daughter, your friend, or even yourself. Would you want to wake up in a hospital, bent and broken almost beyond repair, and find this level of negativity surrounding your accident? Think about how your words can affect somebody. This person has a life ahead of him that is bright and hopeful, and I truly hope that those judging him based on a few sentences re-think what they have said. This is not the place for a debate about crosswalk safety. This is the place for love and support and a community of trust - playing the blame game will get us nowhere.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 60 of64
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Waynesboro Discussions

Search the Waynesboro Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Jul 15 Billy Bob 2,548
Crimora man often thinks of slain wife, missing... (Jan '10) Jul 13 heather stamper 4
Missing Persons Case Has a Few Twists (Jun '13) Jul 13 heather stamper 2
Crimora man charged with attempted murder (Jun '13) Jul 13 heather stamper 3
Search for missing Crimora woman continues (Sep '08) Jul 13 heather stamper 43
Royal Orchard Castle (Nov '07) Jun 28 hollie 14
Shenandoah Acres???? (Jun '06) Jun 24 female 278
•••
•••
•••
•••

Waynesboro Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000