Franklin County unions march, rally a...

Franklin County unions march, rally against Right to Work bill

There are 271 comments on the Public Opinion story from Apr 8, 2011, titled Franklin County unions march, rally against Right to Work bill. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Show of support: Members of several local unions marched Friday in Waynesboro in opposition to the Right to Work bill, which would prohibit union membership as a condition of employment.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
what

Kernersville, NC

#307 Apr 21, 2011
Unga Bungaaaa wrote:
I'm in hopes that police club these union members like Alaskan Seals.
What is your I.Q.? You certainly would not qualify for a UNION job by todays standards. You sound jeolous that you don't work for a UNION to have negotiating power.
Ronaldus Magnus

United States

#308 Apr 21, 2011
Dan the Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad I could satisfy your pointless little obsession. Too bad you don't have the brain wattage to have comprehended it the first three times I said it.
Thank you for conceding the fact that most racists today are conservative.
Actually I don't even concede that. I was just trying to acknowledge you backing away a little (and I mean just a little) from your "entirely" comment.

Dave still doesn't get it because he says the whole thing got started because you said most.

Earth to Dave: Please do not comment until you go back and read post #157. I did not twist Dan's words. He said "entirely" not "most". He made a ridiculous comment and I was not going to quit until he backed down a little.

As I have said before, I used The Robert Byrd thing because it was too easy. For what it's worth I too believe that he changed but I can't imagine the outcry if Republicans had nominated someone with a similar background. As for Democrats, if one candidate for Majority whip is a former KKK member who filibustered the Civil Rights bill of 1964 and the other candidate is a guy who got drunk and killed a girl in a crash and never told anybody about the crash....maybe there was another option. As I see it being in the Majority means you have at least 51 Senators.

As for Dan's correction, usually you don't call someone a name when you back down or apologize but I figured everyone had had enough. I appreciate that he changed his position a little and I figured Dan's comment was all I was going to get so I said "Thanks" so we could move on.

Dan here's where I agree with you. Both sides have poor records on race. Can't we all just get along?
Madd1

Shermans Dale, PA

#309 Apr 21, 2011
UNION YES wrote:
<quoted text>Union labor built AMERICA or did you forget as the government is slowly taking away the negotiating rights of America, SALARIES BENIFITS, VACATIONS, PAID HOLIDAYS, SAFE WORKING CONDITIONS...etc... and turning America into a slave labor 3rd world country. Get an education by reading the history of why UNIONS were organized.
Unions built America and are now tearing down America. Non-union companies are more profitable and growing while union companies languish and wither, one exception Ford Motors.
Dan the Man

Bensalem, PA

#310 Apr 21, 2011
Ronaldus Magnus wrote:
Dan here's where I agree with you. Both sides have poor records on race. Can't we all just get along?
We can all get along as long as your side doesn't make racist comments. But when that happens, being a man of integrity, I will have to call them out.
Gone from PA

Apopka, FL

#311 Apr 21, 2011
Greencastle Democrat wrote:
Let's see - if I'm running a company or large organization in Pennsylvania I want men cronies for management, so I will discriminate in promotions against women. I might provide some sort of health care insurance support, but it will cost employees a lot. I will keep wages a low as possible. And if there are safety issues that could endanger my employees, I will look the other way or use cheap fixes until someone gets seriously hurt or killed. So I love Todd Rock's bill against collective bargaining rights, and also his attitude that, hey, his seat in the PA legislature will always be held by a conservative Republican. And don't you agree, too, that workers should always be pawns of the powerful?
Throwing your 'hat' in the ring for the next election? If the 'people' agree, they will vote for you and toss Rock. Give it a try ol' school 'crat.
LIL JOHN

New Bloomfield, PA

#312 Apr 21, 2011
UNION YES wrote:
<quoted text>Union labor built AMERICA or did you forget as the government is slowly taking away the negotiating rights of America, SALARIES BENIFITS, VACATIONS, PAID HOLIDAYS, SAFE WORKING CONDITIONS...etc... and turning America into a slave labor 3rd world country. Get an education by reading the history of why UNIONS were organized.
Unions comprise only 7% of the labor force!

Welfare (TANF) Recipients (2009 Calendar Year Average)
Right to Work States Per 1000 Residents .......... 7.6
Forced-Unionism States.........17.3
(2009 Calendar Year Average) National Average .......... 13.3
U.S. Administration for Children and Families; BOC

Percentage Growth in Number of People Covered by Private, Employment-Health Insurance (1999-2009
Right to Work States ..........0.9%
Unionism States ..........6.9%
NationalAverage ..........4.0%
BOC

Cost of Living-Adjusted Per Capita Disposable Personal Income (2009)
Right to Work States ..........35,543
Forced-Unionism States ..........33,389
National Average ..........34,256 Missouri Economic Research and Information Center (MERIC); BEA; Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census (BOC)

Percentage Growth in Real Personal Income
Right to Work States .......... 28.3%
Unionism States.......... 14.7%
(1999-2009) National Average .......... 19.5%
BEA; BLS

http://www.nilrr.org/files/NILRR%20FACT%20SHE...

So where's your sources for the krap you just said?
Ronaldus Magnus

United States

#314 Apr 22, 2011
Dan the Man wrote:
<quoted text>
We can all get along as long as your side doesn't make racist comments. But when that happens, being a man of integrity, I will have to call them out.
Three things:

1)There are lots of nuts out there. Most of them are not on my side (or your side) they are just plain nuts. Be careful which ones you are counting as being on my side.

2)I will call you out as well when your side makes a false or misleading claim regarding race.

3)When boxed in a corner, I can always use the Bill Clinton line about Byrd.. "maybe he did a bad thing..."

Just kidding about #3.
TaxNoMore

United States

#316 May 2, 2011
UNION YES wrote:
If you want to understand better why so many states—from New York to Wisconsin to California—are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, consider this depressing statistic:

Today in America there are nearly twice as many people working for the government (22.5 million) than in all of manufacturing (11.5 million).

This is an almost exact reversal of the situation in 1960, when there were 15 million workers in manufacturing and 8.7 million collecting a paycheck from the government.

It gets worse.

More Americans work for the government than work in construction, farming, fishing, forestry, manufacturing, mining and utilities combined.

We have moved decisively from a nation of makers to a nation of takers.

Nearly half of the $2.2 trillion cost of state and local governments is the $1 trillion-a-year tab for pay and benefits of state and local employees.

Is it any wonder that so many states and cities cannot pay their bills?

SET YOURSELF FREE!!!!!.....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274 ...
A suggestion

Williamsport, PA

#317 May 7, 2011
LIL JOHN wrote:
<quoted text>
Unions comprise only 7% of the labor force!
Welfare (TANF) Recipients (2009 Calendar Year Average)
Right to Work States Per 1000 Residents .......... 7.6
Forced-Unionism States.........17.3
(2009 Calendar Year Average) National Average .......... 13.3
U.S. Administration for Children and Families; BOC
Percentage Growth in Number of People Covered by Private, Employment-Health Insurance (1999-2009
Right to Work States ..........0.9%
Unionism States ..........6.9%
NationalAverage ..........4.0%
BOC
Cost of Living-Adjusted Per Capita Disposable Personal Income (2009)
Right to Work States ..........35,543
Forced-Unionism States ..........33,389
National Average ..........34,256 Missouri Economic Research and Information Center (MERIC); BEA; Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census (BOC)
Percentage Growth in Real Personal Income
Right to Work States .......... 28.3%
Unionism States.......... 14.7%
(1999-2009) National Average .......... 19.5%
BEA; BLS
http://www.nilrr.org/files/NILRR%20FACT%20SHE...
So where's your sources for the krap you just said?
You forgot to mention that right to work states are less safe.
John

Italy

#318 May 7, 2011
Greencastle Democrat wrote:
Let's see - if I'm running a company or large organization in Pennsylvania I want men cronies for management, so I will discriminate in promotions against women. I might provide some sort of health care insurance support, but it will cost employees a lot. I will keep wages a low as possible. And if there are safety issues that could endanger my employees, I will look the other way or use cheap fixes until someone gets seriously hurt or killed. So I love Todd Rock's bill against collective bargaining rights, and also his attitude that, hey, his seat in the PA legislature will always be held by a conservative Republican. And don't you agree, too, that workers should always be pawns of the powerful?
You are all over the place? How do unions do any of this? There is now the NLRB and OSHA and other goverment organizations that over see these things you mention. As for the wages and insurance at what cost? Sure the unions may get you higher wages and benefits at the cost of some layoffs so the company can stay in business. As for you final statement about workers being pawns this is true but mostly they are the pawns of the unions not the busness man.
John

Italy

#319 May 7, 2011
A Boehner wrote:
<quoted text>
Another lie, gas in 2005/2006 was well over $4.00 per gallon. You just don't know wen to quit. Do you remember who killed the economy? Are you actually attempting to blame President Obama? Keep digging, you can only look dumber.
Really? Can you back up that statement because what I found showed it to be more around 2.22/gallon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waynesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
They took our jerbs !!!!!!!!!! (Mar '12) Jan 25 Old post renew 6
News Trick-or-treat nights scheduled this year (Oct '09) Jan '18 Buster 54
416 Cleveland Ave. Waynesboro, PA 17268 Sep '17 scrilla 22
News Mont Alto constable named (Aug '08) Sep '17 Fife 33
Very soon (Apr '17) Apr '17 Jim mosed 1
egor sighting (Mar '17) Apr '17 Martz friend 2
who is vincent e martz {egor} (Mar '16) Mar '17 martz friends 3

Waynesboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance