Franklin County unions march, rally a...

Franklin County unions march, rally against Right to Work bill

There are 271 comments on the Public Opinion story from Apr 8, 2011, titled Franklin County unions march, rally against Right to Work bill. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Show of support: Members of several local unions marched Friday in Waynesboro in opposition to the Right to Work bill, which would prohibit union membership as a condition of employment.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
MrSilenceDogood

Mercersburg, PA

#1 Apr 8, 2011
Union members out making trouble instead of working. What else is new?
Peggy

Greencastle, PA

#2 Apr 9, 2011
Go thugs! Threaten if you don't get your way. Make demands. Get power. Get justice? Pennsylvania should be a right-to-work state and attract businesses to establish here.
Union Worker

Chambersburg, PA

#3 Apr 9, 2011
Thats my brothers not working wanting something for nothing. Lets fight at every corner to make a stand for what was once good, but now is what keeps the employee that doesn't work in a job. Time for a change!!!
Miss Shi

Chambersburg, PA

#4 Apr 9, 2011
Right to Work my a*s*s it is a necessity in order to survive
Greencastle Democrat

Muncy, PA

#5 Apr 9, 2011
Let's see - if I'm running a company or large organization in Pennsylvania I want men cronies for management, so I will discriminate in promotions against women. I might provide some sort of health care insurance support, but it will cost employees a lot. I will keep wages a low as possible. And if there are safety issues that could endanger my employees, I will look the other way or use cheap fixes until someone gets seriously hurt or killed. So I love Todd Rock's bill against collective bargaining rights, and also his attitude that, hey, his seat in the PA legislature will always be held by a conservative Republican. And don't you agree, too, that workers should always be pawns of the powerful?
EWP

Chambersburg, PA

#6 Apr 9, 2011
Now why should it be required as a condition for employment you must join a union? All the right to work would allow is for Americans to CHOOSE weather or not they want to participate in forced dues and an ideology that is seated in selfishness and demonizing the very people who make your job possible.
The truth is that people dont want to join unions but sometimes in order to work where you want it's required.
I have never, and will never work somewhere where union participation is forced. I don't need a bureaucracy "protecting me", I'm a highly trained and professional employee. I'll let my actions and the quality of my work secure my job for me.
Be the best you can be, take pride in what you do, help your employer make a better workplace for all to benefit from.
I fully support the right to work, and the right not to be forced into joining a union.
Overtaxed

Greencastle, PA

#8 Apr 9, 2011
Everyone should have the right to work without union interference. Professionals don't need unions. Unions historically and today are run by thugs - look at CAEA.
EWP

Chambersburg, PA

#9 Apr 9, 2011
Furthermore,
If belonging to a union is such a fantastic opportunity the unions say it is, then why do they have to force people to join?
If it was such a great deal people would be banging the door down to join. But the American worker is far smarter than the average Union thug and what the Democrat party think.
We can get along just fine without you.
The jig is up, this bill will hopefully pass and Labor Unions will continue their long decline into irrelevance.
Dave

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Apr 9, 2011
Union Worker wrote:
Thats my brothers not working wanting something for nothing. Lets fight at every corner to make a stand for what was once good, but now is what keeps the employee that doesn't work in a job. Time for a change!!!
So you mwant to fight the taxpayers who are footing the bill?

like the Dems in DC, union workers do not want to tighten THEIR belt, or live within THEIR means - no they simply demand the taxpayers hand over more and more of their money to the unions

Take a long look at WI and Ohio - you are seeing the change
Dave

Chambersburg, PA

#11 Apr 9, 2011
Dave wrote:
I guess if Todd Rock was a state Rep in Alabama during the early 60's, he would vote for segregation & racism because most voters were for those things.
This area is dense Republican so heck, Todd, why don't you just stay home & allow the Republican leadership in Harrisburg vote for you.
Republicans representatives - Republican union busters.
We have a lot of manufacturing here. Whether they are union or not, the idea that the union is out there improves the working condition for every single worker there.
These three would help lower these things.
You people complain about poor paying jobs, these three Representative are helping make them lower yet.
Pathetic pandering to their feeble minded base.
Mr Civility is back with the usual insults and persoanl attacks

Nothing new for pne of the boards biggest Obama worshipper
Amen

Mcsherrystown, PA

#12 Apr 9, 2011
The reason union membership is so low is that the corporitists have sent all the jobs overseas and pay the workers there slave wages.
fatman74

Greencastle, PA

#13 Apr 9, 2011
If catapiller Mack and others did not have to pay such high wages and the stories we all hear"if you are union and you are not a janitor you cannot pick up a piece of trash" ok so you stand around do nothing and pay a janitor $25.00 to pick up your trash not a bad deal maybe China wouldn't get so many jobs if the pay spread was not so far apart JUST SAYIN
Dave

Chambersburg, PA

#14 Apr 9, 2011
Amen wrote:
The reason union membership is so low is that the corporitists have sent all the jobs overseas and pay the workers there slave wages.
and over the last 30 years as union membership has decreaased, the US economy posted massive gains

Unions are on the way out which is a huge plus for the private sector

and nad news for the Demcorats who depend on those political contributions from the union bosses
crazy4u

Chambersburg, PA

#15 Apr 9, 2011
Unions were effective years ago but I am don't belive they are now in a professional setting but I see what happens in non Professional arenas such as Denny's Restaurant. A Muslim purchased the Denny's here in Chambersburg. Seniority went out the window, the boss throws fits and swears at employees. No holidays or weekend days off. Called in the middle of the night demanding to come to work. If we are a democracy it must be the people's choice!
in the know

Duncannon, PA

#16 Apr 9, 2011
I voluntarily belong to a union, but I do not think being a member of a union should be a condition of employment.
Finius T Rainbow

Carlisle, PA

#17 Apr 9, 2011
EWP has raised a fair question in a respectful manner. Perhaps one of the union advocates on here can explain the need to be forced to join a union if membership is such a great thing.
Dave

Chambersburg, PA

#18 Apr 9, 2011
in the know wrote:
I voluntarily belong to a union, but I do not think being a member of a union should be a condition of employment.
I agree

But if people could choose to decide to belong to a union, for evey person to declines to join means less money for Dems in their political campaigns

That is why you see Dems and the liberal media supporting the union thugs

They need that money and they do not care how they get it
crazy4u

Chambersburg, PA

#19 Apr 9, 2011
Greencastle Democrat wrote:
Let's see - if I'm running a company or large organization in Pennsylvania I want men cronies for management, so I will discriminate in promotions against women. I might provide some sort of health care insurance support, but it will cost employees a lot. I will keep wages a low as possible. And if there are safety issues that could endanger my employees, I will look the other way or use cheap fixes until someone gets seriously hurt or killed. So I love Todd Rock's bill against collective bargaining rights, and also his attitude that, hey, his seat in the PA legislature will always be held by a conservative Republican. And don't you agree, too, that workers should always be pawns of the powerful?
There are stil EEO laws and they can not be broken. If a miniority person is just as qualified for promotion or job and is not hired because they are a miniority fill EEO complains. See a lawyer.
Mac

Greencastle, PA

#20 Apr 9, 2011
Steve Berger, a representative of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees in Maryland, wrote that when he asked correctional officers to sign "paper work that was going to be given to legislative leaders in Annapolis," none did. Instead, officers asked him about a controversial new fee the union is charging for its collective bargaining services, even from non-members. AFSCME wants non-union workers at the MD correctional facility to pay $400 per year. Berger's thuggish behavior is typical.
A Boehner

Duncannon, PA

#21 Apr 9, 2011
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
and over the last 30 years as union membership has decreaased, the US economy posted massive gains
Unions are on the way out which is a huge plus for the private sector
and nad news for the Demcorats who depend on those political contributions from the union bosses
Really? The eight years of bush was that good, huh? You really don't have a clue but it's obvious that doesn't really matter to you does it?

Union or not, all American workers have benefited from the rights that the union have fought for. The republican attack on unions is nothing but another battle in their war against the middle class. In spite of their flag lapel pins republican politicians are NOT Patriots, hell, Iím not even sure if they are American any more.

Thinking back to my idea of the ideal America that I have lived in, it was when we had a strong middleclass and that was the 1950s and 1960s. well, other than the 8 years of President Clinton of course.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waynesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Franklin County indigent defenceless Feb '18 Bumpkin 2
News Feds charge man for 2016 pharmacy robbery Feb '18 Smart big city guy 1
News Penn State Plans Room and Board Rate Increase Feb '18 say no to Hazleton 2
They took our jerbs !!!!!!!!!! (Mar '12) Jan '18 Old post renew 6
News Trick-or-treat nights scheduled this year (Oct '09) Jan '18 Buster 54
416 Cleveland Ave. Waynesboro, PA 17268 (Sep '17) Sep '17 scrilla 22
News Mont Alto constable named (Aug '08) Sep '17 Fife 33

Waynesboro Jobs

Personal Finance

Waynesboro Mortgages