Blue Ridge Summit man gets 5 to 10 years in prison for killing neighbor

Michael Harrigan told a judge Thursday he was ready to accept his punishment for shooting his neighbor in the face with a shotgun. Read more
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
mutzick

Edison, NJ

#145 Apr 14, 2011
FROMTHESIDELINES wrote:
I keep reading about how "easy" it is to defend yourself against a "Drunk", and I can't help wondering how many of these folks have ever tried to handle an enraged drunk who outweighs them, and whether they would bet their own lives or the lives and safety of their family on how "easy" it is to subdue a much larger, enraged person based on the perceived level of drunkeness. Drunks are not known for backing down from anyone, and all it takes is one lucky punch from a big man to put you down. I am fairly well versed in self defense, and would Never put my family in danger by assuming that I could subdue a large, enraged man with my hands. Almost any Police officer can tell you about the damage that someone on alcohol or drugs can do ! How many people had this man hurt in the past when he was drunk ?
I suspect the career criminal record of Steve Wetzel would surely answer your last question. No one took him home, because his menacing, threatening behavior that night must be typical and accepted by his family and county he lived in. Don't forget, when the officers were asked, "Could Wetzel of been been arrested on a myriad of charges? The officer replied, "YES" Ask yourself then, WHY WASN'T HE? Drunks are not rational and should not be treated as such. Once again, jury got it wrong. The transgressor was Wetzel. The Harrigans were not protected. It was not his intent to shoot and kill Steve Wetzel. Harrigan became the defender and protector of himself, wife and baby. Harrigan cried out for help (911) Time served!!!!!!
Hello

Frederick, MD

#146 Apr 23, 2011
My hero, can you please email me at jaimeyuck at y-a-h-o-o.c-o-m? Thank you.
mutzick

Edison, NJ

#147 May 1, 2011
Michael Harrigan in jail almost a year. Huge Mistake! Jury found him guilty of voluntary manslaughter. Enormous Mistake! Received 5 to 10 years. His very cry for help was not heard or taken seriously by police officers (911 call) Ask yourselves, Why? On that night, the officers did not do their duty to serve and protect the Harrigan family (wife and baby daughter) from the career criminal Wetzel. TIME SERVED!!! FREE HARRIGAN!!!
Time Served

Waynesboro, PA

#148 May 1, 2011
Give him a medal!
Really

Carlisle, PA

#149 May 2, 2011
mutzick wrote:
Michael Harrigan in jail almost a year. Huge Mistake! Jury found him guilty of voluntary manslaughter. Enormous Mistake! Received 5 to 10 years. His very cry for help was not heard or taken seriously by police officers (911 call) Ask yourselves, Why? On that night, the officers did not do their duty to serve and protect the Harrigan family (wife and baby daughter) from the career criminal Wetzel. TIME SERVED!!! FREE HARRIGAN!!!
If Harrigan had minded his own business he wouldn't be in prison. Don't get involved in neighbors family arguments. If Harrigan had stayed in his home with his gun he may not be in prison. One can not shoot their neighbor in the street and expect no criminal liability. The jury heard the evidence and handed up the correct penalty for the crime Harrigan committed. I hope the Wetzel family has a good attorney for the civil case to take everything Harrigan has or ever will have.
Hello

Frederick, MD

#150 May 2, 2011
Really, you have said some things I agree with. But I gotta tell you, for you to imply that Harrigan's mistake was asking his neighbors to bring the noise level down so his family could sleep.. well that's just plain stupid, and I think you know it. We as citizens have a right to peace and quiet in the late evening hours. If Harrigan made a mistake, it was bringing the gun outside. He didn't "get involved in neighbors family arguments." He simply asked them to quiet down. And again, he had every right to do that.

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#151 Sep 12, 2012
Nathan - steves son wrote:
I would have to say that if u weren't there then your opinion really doesn't matter. I was there and I know what was really said between Michael and my father. And yes I did say that i served damn near as much time on a drug case that Harrigan is serving on his case. Some people go down the wrong path in life sometimes and not many bounce back. And not that any of u judgemental people care but my family and my DEAD father do. No matter what anyone says, Michael pulled the trigger that night that killed a drunk,disabled,unarmed 47 year old barefoot man that never stepped one foot on the Harrigans property. Now don't forget, I was there and I was stone sober. We need to remember all of u god fearing people that god does not want us to judge and god will not forgive u for murder or taking your own life. And anyone who knows my father knows he would never in a million years harm an innocent women and her child. What you all aren't realizing is that defense attorneys will say and make up anything to get their client off. Remember, their client is paying top dollar to get them off. Come on Scott Rolle gets people off who kill drunk,disabled barefoot men and let's not forget, people who shake babys to death. Guess that's justifiable also right. Dumb ASSES
Well, one year and 5 months later......

Did they catch you last night Nathan? You kept the mountain awake running from the law. Word has it, it was you and your brother. So glad you are good law abiding citizens. smh

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waynesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
vincent e martz Feb '15 bear 1
vince martz (Jul '14) Nov '14 comments 6
News Five people arrested in heroin bust (Feb '10) Oct '14 Whoyaknow 92
News Dummies are stolen in Waynesboro (Mar '11) Oct '14 Paindailey 165
News Mont Alto constable named (Aug '08) Oct '14 ConstableBill 26
News OSHA fines Baer Buses for 'health' violation (Aug '14) Aug '14 Erie_Tate 2
The 'boro is getting lame (Aug '14) Aug '14 GenPatton 2
Waynesboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web