Blue Ridge Summit man gets 5 to 10 years in prison for killing neighbor

There are 20 comments on the Public Opinion story from Apr 7, 2011, titled Blue Ridge Summit man gets 5 to 10 years in prison for killing neighbor. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Michael Harrigan told a judge Thursday he was ready to accept his punishment for shooting his neighbor in the face with a shotgun.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
big TJ

Mercersburg, PA

#2 Apr 8, 2011
What a shame that he is being punished for protecting his family from an angry drunk.
Saw It Coming

Shippensburg, PA

#3 Apr 8, 2011
Washington Township Police officers who walked away from this should be fired.

Let's look at the "good old boy" system where dirt bag Wetzel, with a long criminal history, can threaten his neighbors, and the police who respond, yet not get arrested. That arrest would have saved him from himself.

Of course, maybe that's why the decision was made. It did get rid of a pain in the neck drunken criminal.

Hang in there Mike, prison ain't nothing compared to Iraq.
What a joke

Williamsport, PA

#6 Apr 8, 2011
Are you kidding me ??? REally 5-10 years for taking a HUMAN LIFE!!..What the h ells wrong with PA..I mean really your pretty much saying to every one..AWWWW it's ok to shot someone in the face and kill them if their just standing in your yard cuz gezzz you'll only have to spend 5-10 years in jail..No wonder theres so many killings in PA..TOTAL JOKE!!! 5-10
Are we smoking

Greencastle, PA

#7 Apr 8, 2011
shows what you are worth.sad isn't it??
What if

Greencastle, PA

#10 Apr 8, 2011
What a joke wrote:
Are you kidding me ??? REally 5-10 years for taking a HUMAN LIFE!!..What the h ells wrong with PA..I mean really your pretty much saying to every one..AWWWW it's ok to shot someone in the face and kill them if their just standing in your yard cuz gezzz you'll only have to spend 5-10 years in jail..No wonder theres so many killings in PA..TOTAL JOKE!!! 5-10
I was not there and none of us will ever know the "REAL" story but for sake of argument he was protecting his family. And I mean NO DISRESPECT for the deceased family I am sorry for your loss truly.
Several years ago i had a break in where a gun was placed to my head. Your damn skippy i baught a fire arm and if ever i or my family was in fear of bodly harm i would pull the trigger and ask questions later. Although there are a few good law inforcement officers out there most have a lot be disired. Most blame the victom and not the person committing the crime. Step back a moment and put yourself in ths mans position. Would you not do everything humanly possiable to protect your family? I for one would.
Shocker

Waynesboro, PA

#12 Apr 8, 2011
They should of gave this man a medal and elected him Mayor.

That mans reign of terror stopped that night right on the street and as far as I'm concerned he deserved it.
Trojan Fan

San Francisco, CA

#13 Apr 8, 2011
"Thank God there's a mandatory minimum, or else the judge would have let him off," the victim's son, Nathan Wetzel, said after the hearing. "I sold a little drugs and got ... near what he got for killing someone."

This may be by far the funniest quote I have ever read. Kind of sums up that family pretty well.
Lexi

Chambersburg, PA

#14 Apr 8, 2011
To what a joke said, he was in the man's yard...WHY! THE POLICE SHOULD HAVE ARRESTED HIM FOR PUBLIC DRUNKINGNESS AND DISORDERLY CONDUCT and got him out of there. I was at that trial and it seems like the whole family is rude. Sorry but I call them like I see them.
TLC

Hagerstown, MD

#17 Apr 8, 2011
Shocker wrote:
They should of gave this man a medal and elected him Mayor.
That mans reign of terror stopped that night right on the street and as far as I'm concerned he deserved it.
I couldn't agree more.
Ship Man

Saint Thomas, PA

#19 Apr 8, 2011
I'm not a friend, relative, or family member of either person involved but I do believe that the Honorable Judge Herman did the right thing. At least it sounds like he put a lot of thought into his decision. He brought some sanity to all this craziness. Thank You Judge Herman
meee

Waynesboro, PA

#20 Apr 8, 2011
TLC wrote:
5 years?? He should get a medal for getting a worthless piece of trash off the streets!
God loving people is what the Harrigan family claims to be. But look at these post. Its not right to talk about a person who is gone no matter what.
meee

Waynesboro, PA

#21 Apr 8, 2011
Yeah me Billy Flood, Steve's nephew. God don't like ignorance and all these post are just that. Mike's Dad said you all was God loving people. Its very childish of all of you to make a joke about such a tragedy for both family's. And yes the police didnt do their job that night, thats something both sides agree on. Our family aint rude and dont have a problem with anyone in his family. If we came off rude at the courthouse thats because we was informed not to speak to anyone.People are talking about a man that is DEAD, Really? Thats the joke. I have nothing to hind from you clowns unlike the people on here talking about someone who lost thier life. That just goes to show that you have no care for the human life. You say He was a piece of shit, does that mean we are supposed to go around n kill everyone we think is worthless. No not at all. These post are made by cowards. Be grateful that he only got 5 yr. Maybe steve did deserve being shot to get him to clam down that night but not die, come on be adults and have some respect for the mans family. They didnt cause this and have to live with everyday and you peolpe are sitting on here making a joke about it. Notice I didnt hide behind a bs post name. Every last one of you needs prayer.
Last Time

United States

#22 Apr 8, 2011
Seems to me that Mr. Wetzel screwed with the wrong person for the last time, he threatened to kill a baby, come one......he always was worthless, and his life and his kids lives was consumed with dealing, using and selling drugs. Self defense people, most would do the same. Guess now you can;t tell him, thats what you get for threatening people. No one should lose their life this way, BUT, dirtbags and scum like him should think twice before screwing with someone they don't know what they are capable of. Seems to me ALOT feel the same. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and mine is HE DESERVED IT!
a friend of mikes

Myersville, MD

#23 Apr 8, 2011
They are a God fearing family. Its not up to them to judge or degrade Steves family and thats why they never have. They believe Steve probably was a good person most of the time and they are truly sorry for the Wetzels loss. These judgmental, rude comments are not from Michaels family.
meee

Waynesboro, PA

#24 Apr 8, 2011
a friend of mikes wrote:
They are a God fearing family. Its not up to them to judge or degrade Steves family and thats why they never have. They believe Steve probably was a good person most of the time and they are truly sorry for the Wetzels loss. These judgmental, rude comments are not from Michael family.
sorry,then its his friends n people to ashamed to say who they truly are. We have no problem with Mike's family they didnt do it. But its clear now that His company wasn't the greatest if your supposed to just go kill people. Prolly the type of people you hear about on the news killing innocent woman and children at war. I understand about defending yourself completely but that was defense at trail to save Him and it was made justifiable, his lawyer did a good job for real. Its over nothing can change it now. FYI if even someone doesn't have anything a civil suit is still possible. I don't know where that came from because I don't think anyone is really worried about that.
nofx

Chambersburg, PA

#25 Apr 8, 2011
Overall, just another day in the neighborhood.
Friend

Frederick, MD

#26 Apr 8, 2011
meee wrote:
Yeah me Billy Flood, Steve's nephew. God don't like ignorance and all these post are just that. Mike's Dad said you all was God loving people. Its very childish of all of you to make a joke about such a tragedy for both family's. And yes the police didnt do their job that night, thats something both sides agree on. Our family aint rude and dont have a problem with anyone in his family. If we came off rude at the courthouse thats because we was informed not to speak to anyone.People are talking about a man that is DEAD, Really? Thats the joke. I have nothing to hind from you clowns unlike the people on here talking about someone who lost thier life. That just goes to show that you have no care for the human life. You say He was a piece of ****, does that mean we are supposed to go around n kill everyone we think is worthless. No not at all. These post are made by cowards. Be grateful that he only got 5 yr. Maybe steve did deserve being shot to get him to clam down that night but not die, come on be adults and have some respect for the mans family. They didnt cause this and have to live with everyday and you peolpe are sitting on here making a joke about it. Notice I didnt hide behind a bs post name. Every last one of you needs prayer.
Agree! Finally a nice mature response!
Friend

Frederick, MD

#27 Apr 8, 2011
Steve was actually very nice and kind. He helped anyone who needed it and was a good friend. It is very sad that Steve does not get a second chance at life. God knows all and what is meant to be will be. Im sorry for both parties but no one really should be judging a man they did not know. R.I.P. Steve
Nathan - steves son

Saint Louis, MO

#30 Apr 8, 2011
I would have to say that if u weren't there then your opinion really doesn't matter. I was there and I know what was really said between Michael and my father. And yes I did say that i served damn near as much time on a drug case that Harrigan is serving on his case. Some people go down the wrong path in life sometimes and not many bounce back. And not that any of u judgemental people care but my family and my DEAD father do. No matter what anyone says, Michael pulled the trigger that night that killed a drunk,disabled,unarmed 47 year old barefoot man that never stepped one foot on the Harrigans property. Now don't forget, I was there and I was stone sober. We need to remember all of u god fearing people that god does not want us to judge and god will not forgive u for murder or taking your own life. And anyone who knows my father knows he would never in a million years harm an innocent women and her child. What you all aren't realizing is that defense attorneys will say and make up anything to get their client off. Remember, their client is paying top dollar to get them off. Come on Scott Rolle gets people off who kill drunk,disabled barefoot men and let's not forget, people who shake babys to death. Guess that's justifiable also right. Dumb ASSES
sick of you

Chambersburg, PA

#31 Apr 8, 2011
meee wrote:
<quoted text> sorry,then its his friends n people to ashamed to say who they truly are. We have no problem with Mike's family they didnt do it. But its clear now that His company wasn't the greatest if your supposed to just go kill people. Prolly the type of people you hear about on the news killing innocent woman and children at war. I understand about defending yourself completely but that was defense at trail to save Him and it was made justifiable, his lawyer did a good job for real. Its over nothing can change it now. FYI if even someone doesn't have anything a civil suit is still possible. I don't know where that came from because I don't think anyone is really worried about that.
Hey dumb ass he didnt "just go kill someone", as you say...your uncle or cousin or whoever he was was on his property threatening his family..i guarantee you bunch of rednecks would have done the same thing...if not worse

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waynesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
vincent e martz Feb '15 bear 1
vince martz (Jul '14) Nov '14 comments 6
News Five people arrested in heroin bust (Feb '10) Oct '14 Whoyaknow 92
News Dummies are stolen in Waynesboro (Mar '11) Oct '14 Paindailey 165
News Mont Alto constable named (Aug '08) Oct '14 ConstableBill 26
News OSHA fines Baer Buses for 'health' violation (Aug '14) Aug '14 Erie_Tate 2
The 'boro is getting lame (Aug '14) Aug '14 GenPatton 2
More from around the web

Waynesboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE