Jury hears alleged fatal gunshot in B...

Jury hears alleged fatal gunshot in Blue Ridge Summit shooting trial

There are 38 comments on the Public Opinion story from Feb 8, 2011, titled Jury hears alleged fatal gunshot in Blue Ridge Summit shooting trial. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

A Franklin County jury listening to evidence Tuesday heard the gunshot that allegedly killed Steven Wetzel on May 27.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Miss Shi

Mifflintown, PA

#1 Feb 9, 2011
it sounds as if he was laying in wait to shoot him if i read this correctly.
Bad AS

Greencastle, PA

#2 Feb 9, 2011
Sounds like the shooter was protecting his house and more importantly his Wife and child. Put yourself in the same situation, as hard as that may seem because most of us never experience such and honestly ask yourself what would you have done. As for me I would not have gone outside in wait but rest assured I would have protected my home and family by any means nessisary. I must mention that the officer stated that he would not have acted in such a defensive manner when the deceased started to walk toward the shooter. I think that he would have used his stun gun to stop him before he got too close. I won't second guess the earlier police response, they made there decision and I'm sure it weighs on them as well. condolences to ALL involved its now in the jurys hands. Remember alcohol is a drug and its use can have very negitive results and worse of all its legal. Had this been, lets say marijuana use it could have been resolved with a bag of chips or a late nite burger and fries. Now put that in your pipe and stoke it.
Rob

Chambersburg, PA

#4 Feb 9, 2011
"Sounds like the shooter was protecting his house and more importantly his Wife and child"
Then he shouold have remained IN the house, not outside in ambush. This was a planned shooting.
Donnie

Waynesboro, PA

#6 Feb 9, 2011
"I lost my temper because it's constant trouble." and went and got two firearms, laid low in the bushes and shot the Steve Wetzel when he walked up the street one and a half hours later! And I had been drinking all night, but stopped at 10:30, so I wasn't drunk?? I knew what I was doing. I was "protecting" myself from a mouthy drunk and used my guns instead of my military hand-hand training.
Really!? A Marine who can't fight a like a man? A GUN?
Ladies and gentlemen, I believe this is premeditated murder.
TJ Hooker

Hampstead, MD

#7 Feb 9, 2011
Sounds like he was just protecting his family from a drunk that has continued to cause problems!
cletus slack jawed yocal

Orrtanna, PA

#8 Feb 9, 2011
TJ Hooker wrote:
Sounds like he was just protecting his family from a drunk that has continued to cause problems!
who is protecting the family now, heard the wife has moved on?!
therapist says

United States

#9 Feb 9, 2011
one less drunk driver...the world is better off
Interesting

United States

#10 Feb 9, 2011
I know someone who is on the jury for this trial. It will be interesting to hear their point of view when the trial is finished. Especially since all we're reading is a reporter's interpretation of the events as they played out in court.
iat

Frostburg, MD

#11 Feb 9, 2011
cletus slack jawed yocal wrote:
<quoted text>
who is protecting the family now, heard the wife has moved on?!
Now that is a lie! She's been right there for her husband fighting for THEIR lives. She has NOT been living in the house where this took place. Would you??
lindsaylotter

Landisburg, PA

#12 Feb 9, 2011
This guy is sooo skrewed. Chad Kirby got at least 6 years. His neighbor:
-beat the snot out of him first,
-then went home got a bat,
-busted up his entire property and home
-while threatening him and his entire family
- broke thru his living room window right beside his front door.
ALL AFTER CHAD RETREATED INSIDE HIS HOME...

This guy better pack his bags.
Wastold

Waynesboro, PA

#13 Feb 9, 2011
iat wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that is a lie! She's been right there for her husband fighting for THEIR lives. She has NOT been living in the house where this took place. Would you??
He sold the house... but the lawyers better save some for the victim program!
AMANDA LYNN

Greencastle, PA

#14 Feb 9, 2011
Oh yea well said this was planned !! What kind of perosn sits in the grass just waiting to kill.. This so called solider should have been commited to the crazy house a long time ago. Sounds to me his little trip to Iraq went to his head. Sorry I feel no pain or remorse for this guys family in any way. I do feel for the family of Steve. He was not a harmful man he was a great guy. The kind of guy you could turn to no matter what any time day or night.He just was an all around geniune human being.No family nor child should have to go through this mess. I can speak on this matter because I knew this family very well and Steve meant well in all he did. Yes he sould not ave gone back over to speak with the man he should have left well enough along but to be shot. I feel for his wife cause it sounds to me he was not protectging er e was thinkming as if he were still in combat in Irag and she could have been the victim here if she would have come around the wrong corner. In light of all tht is being said about the wetzel family they are good people and are trying to do whatis right by there father
iat

Frostburg, MD

#15 Feb 9, 2011
No one has to say anything about the Wetzel family. They have spoken for themselves. It wasn't planned at all. All Mr. Harrigan wanted was quiet so his sick baby could sleep, that isn't too much to ask. The police had been to Mr. Wetzel's home many, many times for complaints from neighbor's. He took his son to court ordered drug & alcohol class and then they went to a bar to drink 4 or 5 beers and then DROVE drunk.

I'm sure there are thousands of soldiers who would like to thank you for your support of them fighting for our country.:)
Concerned in PA

Chambersburg, PA

#17 Feb 9, 2011
lindsaylotter wrote:
This guy is sooo skrewed. Chad Kirby got at least 6 years. His neighbor:
-beat the snot out of him first,
-then went home got a bat,
-busted up his entire property and home
-while threatening him and his entire family
- broke thru his living room window right beside his front door.
ALL AFTER CHAD RETREATED INSIDE HIS HOME...
This guy better pack his bags.
Evidence proved....Kirby choked Buttermore, held one gun to his face, threatened Buttermores family, went to get an even bigger gun and shot Buttermore THRU the window.....and Kirby NEVER contacted the police.
Yeah, all in how you tell the story.
lindsaylotter

Landisburg, PA

#18 Feb 9, 2011
Concerned in PA wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence proved....Kirby choked Buttermore, held one gun to his face, threatened Buttermores family, went to get an even bigger gun and shot Buttermore THRU the window.....and Kirby NEVER contacted the police.
Yeah, all in how you tell the story.
It really is all in how you tell the story.
cletus slack jawed yocal

Orrtanna, PA

#19 Feb 9, 2011
iat wrote:
No one has to say anything about the Wetzel family. They have spoken for themselves. It wasn't planned at all. All Mr. Harrigan wanted was quiet so his sick baby could sleep, that isn't too much to ask. The police had been to Mr. Wetzel's home many, many times for complaints from neighbor's. He took his son to court ordered drug & alcohol class and then they went to a bar to drink 4 or 5 beers and then DROVE drunk.
I'm sure there are thousands of soldiers who would like to thank you for your support of them fighting for our country.:)
now it was a sick baby, embellish much? if he wanted quiet he should have stayed in his home and not involved himself in a family squabble.
Concerned in PA

Chambersburg, PA

#20 Feb 9, 2011
lindsaylotter wrote:
<quoted text>
It really is all in how you tell the story.
I also believe it is how a case is presented. The jury can, and is, swayed by the way the story is told. Do we know if Harrigan's family was threatened by this family in the past? Did Harrigan honestly believe that Wetzel was finally serious enough, and drunk enough, this time to finally do his family harm? Did Harrigan believe that since the cops did nothing to help them an hour earlier, did he have to defend his family on his own? Maybe Harrigan is the only one who can explain it, but it is his attorneys resonsibility to portray that to the jury because I can assure you the District Attorneys office is very good at painting a guilty picture even when there is not enough evidence to substantiate their case. If it walks like a duck......
Cannotbelievethe lies

Shippensburg, PA

#21 Feb 9, 2011
Concerned in PA wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence proved....Kirby choked Buttermore, held one gun to his face, threatened Buttermores family, went to get an even bigger gun and shot Buttermore THRU the window.....and Kirby NEVER contacted the police.
Yeah, all in how you tell the story.
Where do all you people get your lies??? Talk to someone who knows the truth.
really

Carlisle, PA

#22 Feb 9, 2011
Concerned in PA wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence proved....Kirby choked Buttermore, held one gun to his face, threatened Buttermores family, went to get an even bigger gun and shot Buttermore THRU the window.....and Kirby NEVER contacted the police.
Yeah, all in how you tell the story.
But Buttermore didn't do anything right? It was all Kirby! Evidence showed a crooked DA in office.
hellloooo

Hagerstown, MD

#23 Feb 9, 2011
BANG BANG!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waynesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Giving away household items tonight! FREE! Oct '16 benjaminmecom 1
vincent e martz is egor Aug '16 SmusherBilly 2
vincent e martz is egor Aug '16 friends in high p... 1
News Police: Woman dragged 200 ft. by car driven bya Aug '16 Adventurist 1
chambersburg pa walmart Jul '16 martz friends 1
Just wondering (Dec '15) Jun '16 mike martz 4
vince martz (Jul '14) Jun '16 martz friend 12

Waynesboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waynesboro Mortgages