Car wrecks in Buckatunna, MS

Car wrecks in Buckatunna, MS

Posted in the Waynesboro Forum

Pumbaa

Hattiesburg, MS

#1 Oct 26, 2012
There was another MVA in Buckatunna this afternoon. A tanker swerved and turned over into the median of the 4 lane highway. It looks like it hit a pick-up truck. This was about the third big truck I have seen flipped over in the same area.

Although this highway is NOT limited access it still has a 65 MPH speed limit in front of where two gasoline stations are located. If the school zone light is on, the speed limit is then still 55 MPH.

I would like to see a flashing yellow light installed and have the speed limit set to 45 MPH in Buckatunna.
missy

Jackson, MS

#2 Oct 27, 2012
I also saw this accident. was told the pickup driver pulled out in front of semi then jumped out and proceeded to run. He possibly had been drinkng. Semi driver killed. so sad one was working and the other was playing.
amazed and dazed

Tupelo, MS

#3 Oct 29, 2012
I also saw it. The small truck was side swipped by the speeding oil rig. Missy, my friend checked on the guy who walked away from his small truck. I asked her if he smelled like alcohol and she said no. We should never assume such things. The big truck was speeding through a crowded area. Bottom line.
amazed and dazed

Tupelo, MS

#4 Oct 29, 2012
Oil rig man did not have on a seat belt either..
Pumbaa

Hattiesburg, MS

#5 Oct 29, 2012
"The big truck was speeding through a crowded area."

I somewhat agree with that but my point is the speed limit is sixty-five miles per hour in what is a crowded area. 65 is pretty fast for a area that is sometimes congested but it is legally not speeding. There are usually pickups, transport trucks, tourists, etc., coming in and out of the gasoline stations especially the one with the restaurant.

Wouldn't the intersection be a lot safer if the highway department would change the speed limit to 45 MPH?

amazed and dazed

Tupelo, MS

#6 Oct 29, 2012
Pumbaa wrote:
"The big truck was speeding through a crowded area."
I somewhat agree with that but my point is the speed limit is sixty-five miles per hour in what is a crowded area. 65 is pretty fast for a area that is sometimes congested but it is legally not speeding. There are usually pickups, transport trucks, tourists, etc., coming in and out of the gasoline stations especially the one with the restaurant.
Wouldn't the intersection be a lot safer if the highway department would change the speed limit to 45 MPH?
Yes, it should be lower with lights!!
Witness

Tupelo, MS

#7 Oct 29, 2012
Totally this is a tragedy. One Pick up traveling at a slow rate of speed heading south was overtaken by a 18 wheeler also traveling southbound. I never heard or saw tires screeching or being applied by the big truck. He rammed right in to the rear of the Older Style Ford Pick up, When his wheels reached the cab on the pickup it caused a weight shift by raising the right front tire much higher than the left tire and the big truck was over balanced, flipped and overturned in to the median. Heavy Damage to both vehicles. A turning lane to get in and out of the gas stations would be very helpful in reducing accidents like this along with lowered speeds. I actually think the driver of the Ford pickup in his traumatic experience was wanting to get away from the road before something else came along.
Jazzy 888

Spring, TX

#8 Oct 30, 2012
FYI from someone who was actually there!! The driver of the Ford pickup pulled in front of the oil hauling truck!!! The big truck driver DIED because he tried to AVOID hitting the dumb ace that pulled out in front of him. AND FYI from the data box the driver of the big truck was only going 62mph in a POSTED 65mph zone. Yes I do not like the speed limit there either... but ask for change DON'T fault a dead man for trying to do the right thing when a dumb ace driver pulls in front of him!!!! KNOW before you speak out of turn.
dazed

Jackson, MS

#9 Oct 31, 2012
Jazzy 888 wrote:
FYI from someone who was actually there!! The driver of the Ford pickup pulled in front of the oil hauling truck!!! The big truck driver DIED because he tried to AVOID hitting the dumb ace that pulled out in front of him. AND FYI from the data box the driver of the big truck was only going 62mph in a POSTED 65mph zone. Yes I do not like the speed limit there either... but ask for change DON'T fault a dead man for trying to do the right thing when a dumb ace driver pulls in front of him!!!! KNOW before you speak out of turn.
FYI, we were actually there..we were the vehicle right behind the small truck. He did NOT pull out into the way of the oil rig driver. Big truck driver did not die trying to avoid the small truck. He never hit his brakes.. he overcorrected after he side swiped that guy in the small truck. He was going to fast. Common sense can tell you --HEY, SLOW DOWN, lots of people, a school. HELLO???
If you knew what you were talking about it says to slow down to 55 right before getting to that intersection by the store. KNOW before YOU SPEAK out of turn.
Saw It Happen

Tupelo, MS

#10 Oct 31, 2012
Jazzy 888 wrote:
FYI from someone who was actually there!! The driver of the Ford pickup pulled in front of the oil hauling truck!!! The big truck driver DIED because he tried to AVOID hitting the dumb ace that pulled out in front of him. AND FYI from the data box the driver of the big truck was only going 62mph in a POSTED 65mph zone. Yes I do not like the speed limit there either... but ask for change DON'T fault a dead man for trying to do the right thing when a dumb ace driver pulls in front of him!!!! KNOW before you speak out of turn.
Really? I Mean Really....Not doubting your WERE THERE, but from your post there is no doubt you did not SEE it happen. There is a flashing speed limit sign that was flashing before the scene of the accident, because school was letting out. 55MPH. As far as the crash data recorder; unless you are law enforcement, the owner of the oil truck or the insurance agent it is not something a person on the scene would know. I have serious doubts on the truth of your knowledge on the download of the information contained in it. Wondering if you know the answers to the following questions since you say you are privy to the CDR info:
1. Engine speed in RPM's
2. Percent of throttle applied
3. Brake status (on or off)
4. State of driver's seat belt (buckled or not buckled)
5. State of airbag warning lamp
6. Occupant classification details
7. Time from vehicle impact to air bag deployments
I KNOW the answers to most of these because I saw it happen. I don't need the box to tell me the answers. I KNOW who was wearing a seat-belt and who wasn't, I know who applied brakes and who didn't, I KNOW whose air bags deployed and whose didn't.
In response to Jazzy 888

Tupelo, MS

#11 Oct 31, 2012
Jazzy 888 wrote:
FYI from someone who was actually there!! The driver of the Ford pickup pulled in front of the oil hauling truck!!! The big truck driver DIED because he tried to AVOID hitting the dumb ace that pulled out in front of him. AND FYI from the data box the driver of the big truck was only going 62mph in a POSTED 65mph zone. Yes I do not like the speed limit there either... but ask for change DON'T fault a dead man for trying to do the right thing when a dumb ace driver pulls in front of him!!!! KNOW before you speak out of turn.
I am not reading anywhere here that someone is blaming or casting fault. It reads that they are stating facts. The information seems to be how they saw the accident happen, how it ended up, what the conditions were, speed limit and so on. You seem to be very angry about this incident. That is understandable. However, calling others dumb, and others lairs when you seem to not genuinely have a grasp on what actually are the facts and the boast of the "data box" contents severely questions your credibility. What was your location when this happened? Were you sitting still? In motion? North or South? Who was there? Who did what? Give us something we all can believe and help one another to de-stress over this critical traumatic incident. They don't need name calling, accused of lying and yelled at with your capital letters and exclamation points.
MHP

Tupelo, MS

#12 Oct 31, 2012
Very Rare a Big Rig looses against a smaller vehicle. What really did happen?
Curious

Tupelo, MS

#13 Oct 31, 2012
I would like to know more about the Crash Box. I know someone who had an accident before with a fatality and the Crash Black Box could not downloaded and interpreted until a warrant was obtained by the Highway Patrol. I read here that everyone should slow down, turning lanes need installed. How much Oil Spilled?
amazed and dazed

Tupelo, MS

#14 Nov 1, 2012
Mhp-- we were discussing the same thing. It is almost like oil rig driver had a stroke, heart attack, etc. It appeared he never hit breaks although the area was very congested. He looked young tho. Very odd..
witness

French Camp, MS

#15 Nov 5, 2012
amazed and dazed wrote:
Mhp-- we were discussing the same thing. It is almost like oil rig driver had a stroke, heart attack, etc. It appeared he never hit breaks although the area was very congested. He looked young tho. Very odd..
He looked to me to be in his mid to upper forty's young yes but not to young to have heart attack or stroke
witness

French Camp, MS

#16 Nov 5, 2012
Well paper says he was 51 and it also said the pick up truck pulled out in front of the rig
dazed

Jackson, MS

#17 Nov 6, 2012
They lied.
Truck driver

United States

#18 Dec 4, 2012
I am a truck driver and go through Buckatunna everyday, sometimes twice and cars and big tricks are ALWAYS pulling out in front of me and slamming on breaks to make a u-turn. I have almost ran over a pickup pulling a gooseneck trailer doing this. I know the accident with the tanker loaded with crude oil was bad, I haul a much worse product that if leaked out will cause the whole area within miles to be shut down for miles. Knowing that this is a place where people constantly are putting others in danger, I always slow down regardless if the school sign is flashing or not, and I agree that they need to put a 45mph speed limit through there.
dazed

Raymond, MS

#19 Dec 5, 2012
It was a bad accident. Scared me. I have never seen anything quite like it. The area was very chaotic with alot of people humming around in one small area. The school would be a great reason to slow down plus that crazy, busy store. I am happy you slow down.. I don't ever want to witness anything else like that again. I feel bad for the family of that truck driver. I don't know what it would take to slow people down; obviously the light did not help much. I think if they put those rough bumps on the road if that would help. The route is one people take to go south to the beach, which is the reason I was there..heading south for a mini relaxing vacation.
One lady standing there told me she had also had a wreck there. I can understand why.
Trucker

Ridgeland, MS

#20 Jan 4, 2013
I drive a truck to I lived there grew up there went to school there and also was a emt and worked many wrecks there alot with bigtrucks not to take up for the driver cause I'm one but the main cause is people trying to run out in front of the truck trying to beat it I will not lie I have been known to do it also which is bad on my part knowing what go through a drivers head when someone pulls out in front of u with no where for u to go but the speed does need to be lowered

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waynesboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Asmar Rental Properties (Dec '13) Feb 15 Get off your lazy... 10
Review: Holmes Motors (Jul '08) Nov '17 Richard D 144
the mafia of mississippi book (Feb '10) Oct '17 The Mutt 23
holmes motor Sep '17 John Rose 1
News Pascagoula city attorney who raised ethics conc... (Jun '17) Sep '17 PKCM 2
News Perry Taylor Source: Jones County Sheriff's Office (Aug '17) Aug '17 ksmith2184 1
Stops Sogns (Jul '17) Jul '17 AlvinWells 1

Waynesboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waynesboro Mortgages