Wayne City Sports Questions/Answers-The Early Years-1940-1970

Posted in the Wayne City Forum

keep to the issue

United States

#1 Jun 8, 2008
Iwould like to receive any help in remembering
and preserving our Sporting History of these years.

1-The tallest basketball center of the High School
a-was it Stutts-can not remember the first name.
2-Names of starting 5 of the teams for each year.
3-Was it true-that Wayne City track played again
East ST Louis-in the 1920's
4-Name of the brilliant baseball pitcher of the 1955-1959
keep to the issue

United States

#2 Jun 8, 2008
Just remembered-I need the name of the Wayne City grade school basketball player-that was unbelievable-
a-I think the year was 1959-
b-Bobby- was his first name-need the last name.
c-he scored up to 50points per game-at times.
d-appeared unbeatable/and unstopable
keep to the issue

United States

#3 Jul 1, 2008
The Wayne City Grade school basketball player's name-I found out was: Bobby Berl Dickey. He was on the team with -David Ross, Pat Harvey
Berry Twp

Georgetown, IL

#4 Jul 5, 2009
keep to the issue wrote:
Iwould like to receive any help in remembering
and preserving our Sporting History of these years.
1-The tallest basketball center of the High School
a-was it Stutts-can not remember the first name.
2-Names of starting 5 of the teams for each year.
3-Was it true-that Wayne City track played again
East ST Louis-in the 1920's
4-Name of the brilliant baseball pitcher of the 1955-1959
1. The name of the tallest basketball center is Jim Stutts. He was a tad shorter than 7 feet. I was a Freshman when he was a senior in 1953-54. The lane was only 6 feet wide at that time. A favorite play of that team was for one of the guards[Bobby Hall or Bennie Greenwalt to get a quick pass to Stutts who would make an easy lay up. Usually only worked a couple of times until opposing team would "cut" off that play.
If Stutts was in high school now, he would have been developed much better than he was in early 50's. Coach didn't do much to develop strength or coordination. He was so "rare" just didn't occur what to do. And I don't think Stutts was too enthused about playing basketball.
My uncle, Johnny Talbert, was on the Wayne City track team in late 30's and 1940. He was the holder of the Wayne city mile run record until just a couple of years ago. Went to Southern Illinois Normal University and was a member of the track team his Freshman year. enlisted in the Navy[1941) and was killed at the battle for Okinawa. in spring of 1945.
I hear stories that the track team for 1940 went to a track meet in Coach Johnny Roth's station wagon and won in a meet of several Metro East high schools. Only stories, never been able to find anything in print. Stanly Richards another middle distance runner was on the team and Paul Green a survivor of polio was the high jumper.[amazing] That track team was a storied great team for Wayne city. However, Todd Green did win the Illinois State high jump championship in late 1990's.
I played on the 1955,56,and 1957 Wayne City High School baseball teams. There were several pitchers during that time. None approached "greatness". However a couple of them were very good. Voris Miller, almost single handily pitched Wayne city to their first and only Little Ten conference championship. In spring of 1955 beat Allendale 16to 15 for the championship. Scored winning run from a strike three catcher tipped batted ball on Paul Collins. Voris miller got the hit that drove in Paul for winning run.
In 1957 Roger Obenchain had a streak of well pitched games at the end of the season that helped Wayne city win their first Regional Championship. Lost to Du Quoin in opening round of sectional game by the 10 run rule. Obenchain had a vicious curve ball that must have broke 2 feet. However, many batters were only fooled the first time they faced him and teed off the next time at bat.
keep to the issue

United States

#5 Oct 25, 2009
Does anyone remember the name of the Wayne City coach that was ranked in the nation as a pool player of 8 ball.
I can not remember the name of his assistant coach that was a star basketball/baseball player that returned back to Wayne City.
Also, I need to know the name of the little guy from Berry-that later grew to 6foot 7inches and played in college in Bowling Greenh
keep to the issue

United States

#6 Oct 26, 2009
Remebering the basketball team of 1959?
1-Jones
2-Larry Reed
3-Lavern Medder
4- Fleming
5-

Remembering the basketball team of 1960?
1- Fleming was center
2-Dale Hall was forward
3-Dwayne Richards was forward
4- Hale was guard
5- Johnson was guard

Remembering the basketball team of 1961?
1-Dale Hall was center
2-Dwayne Richards was forward
3-Doug Wood was forward
4- Johnson was guard
5-Melvin Miller was guard
Coaches-Conrad Allen, and B. Greenwalt
keep to the issue

Oklahoma City, OK

#7 Nov 21, 2009
Little known fact:
1-Robert Esmon -I think still hold the County
BaseBall Throw- winning first place
a-done at the County Track Meet while in grade
school
b-the event was ended that year.
Coached by Curtis Englebright
keep to the issue

United States

#8 Nov 23, 2009
Wayne City Grade teams
1-1956: J D Neuman-guard
Larry Catton-guard
Bill Fleming-center
Gary Garner-forward
Donald Esmon-forward
2-1957: Larry Catton-guard
Dwayne Richards-center
Doug Wood-forward
Larry Bassett-forward
Fred Faulkner-forward
3-1958:Bobby Dickey-forward
Dwayne Richards-center
Doug Wood-forward
Larry Bassett-forward
Fred Faulkner-guard
1958 winning softball team.
Pitcher-Larry Bassett
catcher-Jim Catton
1st base-Doug Wood
2nd bas-Dwayne Richards
Short stop-Gary Karcher
3rd-Dean Jackson
I am unable to remember the rest-can
anyone help.
keep to the issue

United States

#9 Nov 23, 2009
The surrounding Grade Schools were very tough.
1-Sims: Melvin Miller-played all sports
Carol Freeman-played all sports.
Dean Wells-played all sports.
----Robertson-played all sports
2-Berry: Wayne Talbot-played all sports
Mack Withrow-played all sports
Wimp Witter-played all sports
Versil Withrow-played all sports.
3-Orchardville: Bill Holloman-played all sports.
Lavern Miller-played all sports
Leroy Scott-played all sports.
Larry Reed-played all sports.
Gary Shehorn-played all sports.
These were very tough,talented all sports, smart
players.
keep to the issue

Oklahoma City, OK

#10 Nov 26, 2009
We had some very excellent pool players- I can remember going to town-and most of the men were in the Pool Hall-watching the hustlers play against our local players.
1-Dewey Wood, Stanley Woods,Noel Thompson,Connie Allen were top in snooker
2-Younger players: Darrell Richardson, Woody Thompson,Carol JOhnson,Bob Garner, Don Wright
3-Some times I watched one player -play with only one hand, or used a broom stick, or shot behind his back.
4-Pool Hustlers did not do very well against our top players.
5-I also remember the owner 'Barney" and the long wooden bench at the front of the pool hall.
6-it was a town ordinance -I was told-that you had to be 16 years old in order to come inside and play.
7-Very seldom, did I see any girls/women inside the pool hall.
8.It was a standing joke about the pool halls bathroom.
9-Still, we had one pool player that was at one time ranked in the U.S.-top ten- also was some what of a young pool sensation/or prodigy.
10-Also, one of our players-with only 1week to practise-after years of not playing-ranked number 2 in the European Armed forces playoff.
keep to the issue

Oklahoma City, OK

#11 Nov 28, 2009
I do not know if this needs to be mentioned-but, you to have knowledge that our locals reacted positive to adversity. Local foresst fires surrounded our city in the late forties-but the great floor of the early 1960's should be told. Our town was cut off-with water over the highways from all directions for 1-2days. But this did not stop our locals from making a sporting event. As the raging water roared throught the bridges-our locals got out their speed boats-I think one tried to ski just nort of town by Youngblood house on the curve. I will have to give an Olympic score of 8.9 on original thinking and bravery? It was quite a sight to see all of the boats and croud on the banks. How can you beat people of this caliber/character.-You can not. I love Wayne City.
Next time, maybe we can talk about fast cars.
keep to the issue

United States

#12 Dec 28, 2009
Fighters,Boxers,Wrestlers, Martial Arts.--
The evolution of thought of my early years were that the tougher the fighter-the better the man. This was a flaw, I now know, but developed in me a personal history of our town.
1-G. Smith, Eldon Austin,V. Shreve,Dewey Wood,Issacs, Hambone, Dillymilk,Bullocks,and etc.Were all names/nicknames that had a legend develope from their skills. Lindy Johnson had the ability to whip his opponent- and the opponent stayed whipped-not wanting a rematch.
2. The Shreve brothers were taught by their gifted farmer-father Verl; sons were Bob,Delbert-were very gifted with their fists- and tough.
Another family of rough brothers-the Johnsons, Terry was one of the nicest guys-but very effecient and brutal in altercations- his younger brother Carol-was a legend before he was out of high school-and had a fear of nothing/no one.
The Garner brothers-were very talented- Cecil,Bob and the cream of the fighter-Bennie. He did not have to fight much-his quick wit and winning smile disarmed many conflicts.He was an excellent fighter.
The Buchanon brothers/cousins-were talented in many areas, music and with their fists. Fortunately, they were quick witted and difused many altercations and did not need to show their fighting skills.It was odd to know, that their sister was vice president of a large bank in St Louis.
The entire town of Orchardville-seemed to field an entire group: Shehorn borthers, Hollomen brothers,Helms, Fathery,Johnson. This was a town you did not want to go to find trouble or fights- you would get your wish-to easy.
The Crocker brother were very gifted-Dale,Olin(Bub)-I can not remember the other. Bub was a legend- he was a man's man at the ripe old age of 14. I liked him a lot. I still miss him to this day as a friend. They do not give medals to civillians- but his death would have been silver stars.
The Esmons- cousins-followed their fathers with their gifts and toughtness. Donald,Robert and Gale-
I always think of the term 'The One Man Gang' with these guys.Gale was the most talented and quickest to fight, Robert had an ungodly right/left combination that stunned many opponents- put that with their temper. Fortunately, they did not fight often.
I am sorry- I thought that I could only have a small paragraph or two- People keep popping up in my mind- Like Doug Wood-6th-to 8th Degree Black Belt in Karate, Belts in Ju jitsu,Kung fu and etc.
If I get response- I will complete this history.
Closing with the mention of Don and Mick Wright,
Drapers, Heddons. I love these guys, and have nothing but respect for our history and legends that they earned
Former Indian

Herrin, IL

#13 Sep 22, 2012
keep to the issue wrote:
The Wayne City Grade school basketball player's name-I found out was: Bobby Berl Dickey. He was on the team with -David Ross, Pat Harvey
We lost a very good Dickey to Sesser. His family still lives there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wayne City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bottom feeders Belly Up! 12 hr Jack SPLAT 1
fugitive shavonna welty Dec 18 Smokey McBongwater 4
Teacher & Preacher. Abusers. Be informed Fairfi... Dec 15 Scottdf79 1
Question about White Oak Resources (May '14) Dec 7 Fred 7
Williams Electric Dec 5 Union Man 2
Boondocks Cafe` in Cisne Nov 21 rubycake67 6
60 years later, gang leader's slaying still uns... (Jan '08) Nov 21 bystander 1,186
Wayne City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Wayne City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Wayne City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Wayne City

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:02 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:02AM
The Coach That Could Turn Around Bears
Bleacher Report11:28 AM
Jay Cutler Rumors: Latest Details, Speculation on Bears QB's Future
NBC Sports12:33 PM
1 thing even Rahm can't fix: Da Bears - NBC Sports
ESPN 7:36 AM
Sources: Goodell says no L.A. team in 2015
NBC Sports 8:26 AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler