Do you remember?
First Prev
of 21
Next Last
I still like Waverly

Columbus, OH

#1 Apr 30, 2010
Do you remember the ice block house that used to set where the Emmitt House parking lot is? How about Williams pool hall or Carlene's Swinging Lounge? How about the Moore's store that used to be where 5th Third is? I have many other places in my mind, maybe you have an old place that I don't know about?

“Live. Love. Laugh. ”

Since: Mar 10

Waverly

#2 Apr 30, 2010
I've not been around that long, but you have my attention! I'd love to here what was like areound here back in the day.

My grandma remembers going to school in the old school house on Carl Penn Rd. Where the Pebble Township fire house is now. She lived in Nipgen and said when she was a girl she used to sneak up to the doors of what she called "the colored church" and listen to them sing their hearts out! She said she'd sing right along with them. That was Eden Church on Nipgen Rd. it's still there.

I could sit and listen to her memories all day long.
Observer

La Rue, OH

#3 Apr 30, 2010
Acy's pool hall - you paid a 'ball racker' a nickle to rack the balls for you to play.

Landmark farm bureau where Wendy's parking lot now sits. Used to get bottles of Pepsi out of one of those ice boxes where you had to slide the bottle to an opening to get it out.

Western Auto where CJ Electric is now. Always went there for bicycle parts and accessories.

Jameson's Drug Store - best vanilla coke in town at their soda fountain even before coke ever came out with their own. Great root beer floats, too.

A&W Root Beer where the Moose is now. Car hop service to your car.

Drive In theater where Adena is now on 104.

Atomic Drive In theater at end of Howard Road where church is now. Loved Thursday's "Lucky Buck Night" - one dollar a carload. You wouldn't believe how many teens will fit in an old Willys station wagon!
Observer

La Rue, OH

#4 Apr 30, 2010
Don't want to leave out the old Stag Bar in the Emmitt House - no women allowed! Used to have a sign in large letters on the plate glass window that read "Duncan Hines Doesn't Remember This Place." The sign remained for years - even after the Stag Bar was closed.

A good story about the sign, too. Allegedly, Duncan Hines, who went all over the country visiting bars and restaurants to write reviews, stopped at the Stag Bar and proceeded to get very much inebriated - even to the point of forgetting about the place and never writing a review about it.
I still like Waverly

Columbus, OH

#5 Apr 30, 2010
I don't remember much about the outside of Waverly. I grew up in Waverly and have lots of good memories. Like Schimidts, the Tiger Den, Noels family Restaurant, Stag bar, Rhoades Meat Mkt, Atomic Drive Inn, Jones Boys, A&P store, Sundry Store, Trebers store, Stop and Go and etc. What was the pharmacys name that was located where the FNB and the alley meet?
Luther

Coeburn, VA

#6 Apr 30, 2010
Brown's Pharmacy - owned by Jerry Brown (ex-mayor)
sweet

Chillicothe, OH

#7 Apr 30, 2010
The Cozy Kitchen has made through all these years.
I still like Waverly

Columbus, OH

#8 Apr 30, 2010
sweet wrote:
The Cozy Kitchen has made through all these years.
Yes, it has. I believe a family named Darst opened it. Not for sure. I do remember a small lady that worked there for many, many years. Can't remember her name. Do you remember the guy getting killed at the bridge over crooked creek just north of Waverly while it was getting re-worked in the late 60's or early 70's?

“Live. Love. Laugh. ”

Waverly

#9 Apr 30, 2010
I still like Waverly wrote:
I don't remember much about the outside of Waverly. I grew up in Waverly and have lots of good memories. Like Schimidts, the Tiger Den, Noels family Restaurant, Stag bar, Rhoades Meat Mkt, Atomic Drive Inn, Jones Boys, A&P store, Sundry Store, Trebers store, Stop and Go and etc. What was the pharmacys name that was located where the FNB and the alley meet?
I do remember the Sundry Store!
Lifegoeson

Waverly, OH

#10 Apr 30, 2010
Do you remember when Krogers was in the lot where US bank is now? Sargents Rental used to be a drive in restaurant,The Waverly Whopper.And last but not least, Giovannis used to be over the hill where Hunters has their car lot now.
I still like Waverly

Columbus, OH

#11 Apr 30, 2010
Where the ATM machine and Super Quick is on the south end there used to be a Sunoco and Super Quick was Noels Restaurant. Ballard Pontiac used to be where Genesis is now. I remember my grandfather bought one there. Gulf station was where the Emmitt House parking lot is.
I still like Waverly

Columbus, OH

#12 Apr 30, 2010
Lifegoeson wrote:
Do you remember when Krogers was in the lot where US bank is now? Sargents Rental used to be a drive in restaurant,The Waverly Whopper.And last but not least, Giovannis used to be over the hill where Hunters has their car lot now.
Was that before of after Moores. I think Krogers left there and went to where Bartleys is now. Don't remember Waverly Whopper, but I remember Gios and A&W. My mother worked at A&W, what was the ladies name that used to make pizzas there and them opened her own business out of her house on Pike Hill in piketon? Ellen? There used to be a Wheel Horse dealer where the beauty shop is next to the Moose.
Observer

La Rue, OH

#13 Apr 30, 2010
Don't forget Pee Pee Gas!

Since: Jul 07

Anytown, USA

#14 Apr 30, 2010
I remember Kegley's Drugs, the Sundry Store (to drop off film and get pictures back about a week later lol), Rhodes, Big Bear of course, Shoe World beside Krogers, Kmart, Rax, that's about all I can remember at the moment.
But speaking of Kmart, I remember when it was where Lowes is now and they had that cafeteria in the back and it always smelled like popcorn in there lol.
Lifegoeson

Waverly, OH

#15 Apr 30, 2010
Stifflers store with the toy department downstairs. Frey's grocery and the little "Dairy Queen like" restaurant beside the state park at Lake White. It's Lance Vallery's house now.Used to be called the Beach Comber.
MILLIE

Fredericksburg, VA

#16 Apr 30, 2010
<quoted text>
Yes, it has. I believe a family named Darst opened it. Not for sure. I do remember a small lady that worked there for many, many years. Can't remember her name. Do you remember the guy getting killed at the bridge over crooked creek just north of Waverly while it was getting re-worked in the late 60's or early 70's?
You are right - Carrie Darst. I believe the lady you are thinking of was Mrytle Kemper. She worked there untill just a few years ago before her passing - what a wonderful lady. The young man that was killed name was Michael Rider. Dont forget the Stifler building and Grandma Martin who worked downstairs. What about Hales Grocery on North St - how I loved the penny candy.
Lifegoeson

Waverly, OH

#17 Apr 30, 2010
<quoted text>
Was that before of after Moores. I think Krogers left there and went to where Bartleys is now. Don't remember Waverly Whopper, but I remember Gios and A&W. My mother worked at A&W, what was the ladies name that used to make pizzas there and them opened her own business out of her house on Pike Hill in piketon? Ellen? There used to be a Wheel Horse dealer where the beauty shop is next to the Moose.
It was before Moores. I'll bet your mom made me a root beer float way back when at the A&W. The Chillicothe Recorder used to work there too when I was young.

Location hidden

#18 Apr 30, 2010
Oh wow..you got me jonesing for a Little Smitty.I loved to go there on a Sunday evening.My friend was on a bowling league and we would meet there and gab.Everyone came in there.
o please

Lucasville, OH

#19 Apr 30, 2010
do u remember thr barrell drive thu where remys used cars is now drove thur there and got my first 4 pack of wine coolers lol

Since: Jul 07

Anytown, USA

#20 Apr 30, 2010
omg I forgot all about the barrell lol. Used to buy (my older buddies actually used to buy) Southern Comfort from there, heh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waverly Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the famous woo-boy diet 28 min bigrodd 3
Melissa Maynard 2 hr Love Bug 1
the DANGERS of vaccines 3 hr yeebie 3
Dale Waddle (Mar '14) 4 hr rider 5
Lake White 8 hr Reggin 15
Murder by sheriff dept deputies 9 hr woo-boy 13
switching to Internet for tv 13 hr sick of high cabl... 1
More from around the web

Waverly People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE