Waverly or Pike County Children's Home

Waverly or Pike County Children's Home

Posted in the Waverly Forum

reader

Chillicothe, OH

#2 Jan 7, 2011
Used to be where Pike Christian Academy is now located.
jonah

Fredericksburg, VA

#3 Jan 7, 2011
Info please wrote:
Can anyone give me information on where to look up history on this place? I can't seem to find it, but yet my Great Uncles death certificate says he died there at the age of 12. I was told that after the death of their mother, my grandfather an his siblings were sent there!
try verlin kitzwiser. I believe his uncle(or relative) was administrator there.

his name was Ray Duncan.

btw, what year did he die there?
Info please

Roy, WA

#4 Jan 7, 2011
jonah wrote:
<quoted text>try verlin kitzwiser. I believe his uncle(or relative) was administrator there.
his name was Ray Duncan.
btw, what year did he die there?
March 8th 1938 was when he died. I have a copy of his birth certificate now, but he was actually born in 1924 so he was 14 when he passed.
want to help

Bedford, IN

#5 Jan 9, 2011
Are you wanting to know who some of the children were who were there, the people who ran it, or exactly what kind of info. I have been looking for anything I could find on it for the past couple days, but not really sure what to look for. The best thing I could suggest would be to go to the library and see what they have. They are very helpful. I also know of a man who is almost 74 years old who was there when he was young, along with his brother and sister, who might be able to answer some of your questions.

Since: Apr 10

Waverly, OH

#6 Jan 9, 2011
The library may have some information for you.
Info please

Roy, WA

#7 Jan 9, 2011
want to help wrote:
Are you wanting to know who some of the children were who were there, the people who ran it, or exactly what kind of info. I have been looking for anything I could find on it for the past couple days, but not really sure what to look for. The best thing I could suggest would be to go to the library and see what they have. They are very helpful. I also know of a man who is almost 74 years old who was there when he was young, along with his brother and sister, who might be able to answer some of your questions.
I am wanting to know some of the children who were there in 1924 and up to about 1950 such as Carter children! This man who is 74 may have known some of them since the oldest child was my great Uncle (would've been 87 now) and my grandfather(would've been 79 now) plus four other siblings. My email is [email protected] if you can find anything. Thanks so much for the help you have given.
Jenifer Preston

Norman, OK

#8 Jun 24, 2011
My two brothers (Raymond and Dennifer) and myself stayed at the home while our parents were in the TB hospital in Chillicothe, around 1957 - 1958.
katrina looney

Corvallis, OR

#9 May 24, 2012
I have a list of children but mainly first names who were at the Waverly home between 1919 and 1950 not all of them were from there but many were.OSU and Waverly place had a lot of correspondence between those years because OSU temporarily adopted children form them for one year periods for their home management program. there is even photographs of these children in their archive. Its a great resource and maybe one of your grandparents stayed at OSU. my e-mail is [email protected] if you want more information
Nancy McCullough

Milton, FL

#10 May 27, 2012
Looking for McCullough children who may have been in the home during the thirties. Please help, anyone!
Maybe Helpful

Millstadt, IL

#11 Nov 25, 2012
I have some names of the Children there around 1952-1960. I was there along with my brother. My e-mail address is [email protected] Oscar Radiger, Avery Pettit and Ray Duncan were the managers at that time.
Maybe Helpful

Millstadt, IL

#12 Nov 25, 2012
Jenifer Preston wrote:
My two brothers (Raymond and Dennifer) and myself stayed at the home while our parents were in the TB hospital in Chillicothe, around 1957 - 1958.
Jenifer, what are your last names?
Jenifer Preston Fryar

Norman, OK

#13 Jan 9, 2013
katrina looney wrote:
I have a list of children but mainly first names who were at the Waverly home between 1919 and 1950 not all of them were from there but many were.OSU and Waverly place had a lot of correspondence between those years because OSU temporarily adopted children form them for one year periods for their home management program. there is even photographs of these children in their archive. Its a great resource and maybe one of your grandparents stayed at OSU. my e-mail is [email protected] if you want more information
Interesting about them adopting for a year and what was the 'home management program'.
Jenifer Preston Fryar

Norman, OK

#14 Jan 9, 2013
Maybe Helpful wrote:
<quoted text>
Jenifer, what are your last names?
Our last name was Preston and it could have been 1958 - 1960, not really sure of the years. My email is [email protected]
Shane

Lake Stevens, WA

#15 Apr 13, 2014
I was adopted from Waverly Children's home in Oct 1967.Actively searching for adoption records. Not sure there are records anymore, I understand there was a fire at one time. But if anyone happens to know where to look, library being checked, I would appreciate the direction.

Thanks
helpful

Jackson, OH

#16 Jun 18, 2014
my sister showed me a very interesting research essay about the building and it's history written by a local teen this last fall. it included alot of information about deaths and patrons, etc. that could be helpful. Also talked about how the buildings is supposed to be haunted. But it's widely known as that around town anyways...read something about that here. http://www.ohioexploration.com/pikecounty.htm
Seems to be taking the place of the Emmitt House in that sense.
I understand the Pike County Historical Society has this essay on hand and it's supposed to be published in the book coming out in commemoration of Pike County's 200th anniversary sometime soon..
Sparsand2

Charlotte, NC

#17 Sep 14, 2015
Info please wrote:
<quoted text>
March 8th 1938 was when he died. I have a copy of his birth certificate now, but he was actually born in 1924 so he was 14 when he passed.
My mother, Juanita Ruth Adell, was 15 when she was sent there, and she too was born in 1924. She said it was the best two years of her life. She knew they couldn't throw her out on the street, so she was as bad as she could be. They punished her by taking privileges away from her. When she left a couple years later, she asked them why they hadn't beat her. They told they didn't want to break her spirit. She had a lot of spunk and they figured she'd need it to survive her life ahead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waverly Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fat women should go to prison 8 hr trump 12
van rob (Sep '12) Sat Whitey Blackman 88
Dog ambulance Mar 24 Phil McCraken 24
Charlie Reader For Sherriff!!!!! (Oct '08) Mar 24 Uno 121
The Recovery Centry on 23 going out of waverly Mar 23 Zzdouche 49
The sowers family and Angie sowers (Nov '12) Mar 23 Kera scaggs 16
Guy sitting on guardrail? (Sep '16) Mar 23 Mitch 12

Waverly Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance