Corruption?
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Johnny

Waverly, OH

#1 Jan 22, 2012
WAVERLY -- What began as a minor injury traffic crash in October has developed into myriad accusations that might go to state investigators to sort out.
Among allegations being made is that Waverly police officer Aaron Mowery mishandled the crash investigation when he tossed out a conflicting witness statement and that former Waverly Mayor Dale Reed tried to use his position to influence the case.
Pike County Prosecutor Rob Junk said he is trying to keep his office from being in the middle of the finger-pointing. However, after Junk received a letter from the Ohio Attorney General's Office about a complaint that Police Chief Larry Roe said was alleging corruption, the prosecutor said he might ask the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation to investigate the claim.
"That does not mean that we think any officer committed any crime in any way, shape or form at all. We just want someone neutral to look at it," Junk said.
He declined to share a copy of the letter, saying it was part of an ongoing investigation. As of Thursday, a spokesman for the Attorney General's Office said the office is "not aware of a request to look into an allegation of political corruption in Waverly."
A crash, an officer and a mayor
The allegations all began when two vehicles crashed at the intersection of East Emmitt Avenue and Clough Street about 6:20 p.m. Oct. 9, according to the traffic crash and companion incident reports obtained by the Chillicothe Gazette via a public records request.
Waverly officer Aaron Mowery led the investigation and was assisted by part-time officer Barney Goodwin.
Sarah A. Richter, 23, of Waverly, told officers she had a yellow light as she entered the intersection from Clough Street. Meanwhile, Vesta J. Howard, 50, of Piketon, said her light at Emmitt and Clough had just turned green and as she entered the intersection, her Dodge Caravan collided with a GMC Suburban driven by Richter. Howard was the only person in the crash reported taken to the hospital for treatment of injuries.
According to crash investigative notes obtained from Junk's office, Mowery noted on Oct. 11 that he had obtained a statement from the woman who had reported the crash to 911, but he "did not use it" because of "too many inconsistencies in her story."
Mowery, who used witness statements and video captured by a nearby business' camera as part of his investigation, determined Richter was at fault and charged her with two minor misdemeanors for running a stop sign and a red light. She was served the citations Oct. 14.
Before issuing the citations, Mowery noted in Oct. 10 investigative notes that then-Mayor Dale Reed contacted him and made comments that Richter could not be at fault. Mowery also noted that Reed allegedly had said "not to issue a citation to Sarah until he spoke with Chief Roe himself."
Richter lives with Reed's son, Matt, and was driving Matt's vehicle.
Johnny

Waverly, OH

#2 Jan 22, 2012
According to Oct. 19 investigative notes recorded by Capt. Timothy South, Reed requested information on the crash, including who made the 911 call. South noted that he told Reed he would research the report to determine who had called 911.
After contacting the complainant, South wrote that he learned she had filled out a written statement, but he could not find it with Mowery's report. South asked her to come to the station to write her statement again. She noted on her written statement, obtained by a public records request, that it was the second one she had filled out.
South then relayed the information, which is public record, to Reed, who also asked for the woman's phone number. When the woman arrived to give her statement, South noted she was "upset" because someone she would not identify had called her and made accusations she had not left her information with 911 and had not given a statement to Mowery. During questioning, the witness used Richter's first name, although the prior day she had said she knew no one involved.
No show, no go
The charges against Richter were transferred from Mayor's Court to Pike County Court, where they were dismissed Nov. 9 when Mowery and Goodwin failed to show for the pre-trial. Mowery's investigative notes indicate he and Goodwin did not receive notice of a change in the pretrial date from Nov. 23 to Nov. 9 as noted with the case online. The note, which appears to be backdated to the day before the missed pre-trial, alleges Goodwin had asked Law Director Marie Hoover on Nov. 8 about the pretrial being set for Nov. 23 and she didn't say anything different.
A later note by Mowery claims Hoover had said the pretrial had been continued to Nov. 23.
In response to a records request for notifications provided to the officers, Hoover wrote in an email that her office does not issue notices to officers but that they should be placed in officers' mailboxes by the court clerk.
Roe said Hoover sometimes does advise of dates or the court clerk will issue officers a subpoena. It's unclear from all involved whether this was done and who should have done the notification.
Hoover dismissed the charges with prejudice, meaning the charges could be re-filed, which Mowery did on Nov. 28. This time, they were filed under state law instead of Waverly ordinance, which transferred responsibility for prosecution to Junk's office. However, the charges were dismissed a second time on Dec. 9 because the speedy trial limit had elapsed, according to court records.
According to Ohio law, minor misdemeanors must be brought to trial within 30 days of the person being issued a summons on charges. In this case, that had been done Oct. 14.
Although Richter had waived speedy trial in Mayor's Court with the first charges, Junk said that waiver does not carry over into the re-filed case in Pike County Court. The speedy trial time frame goes to initial service of the charges.
Roe said Assistant Prosecutor Tony Moraleja had attempted to get the case to be heard a day earlier, but he was unable to get the court to move it up.
New directives, officer disciplined
Johnny

Waverly, OH

#3 Jan 22, 2012
The case has brought changes in police procedure. On Dec. 13, Roe had a meeting with officers in which he laid out directives as a result of the case and claimed the case was purposefully swept to the side because of Richter's connection to Reed. Among the directives Roe gave, according to a two-page list Roe provided to the Gazette, was for officers to never destroy or otherwise make unavailable any written statement once it has been obtained.
"It is not up to any officer of this department to make a determination as to the relevance of any statement obtained in any case whatsoever. Once a written statement is obtained, it is to be made a permanent part of the investigation/ report," Roe's list reads.
According to the Ohio Highway Patrol Academy, which recently provided training on crash investigations to Waverly police officers, instructors teach officers to do short pre- interviews with potential crash witnesses. If officers determine a person did see a crash and not just hear it or see the aftermath, for example, a written statement form is provided and collected. Even if the witness provides information conflicting with the rest of the investigation, officers are taught to retain the statement, note it in the report, then point to other information collected that shows how the statement does not match crash scene evidence. Supporting witness statements also should be pointed out in the report and other evidence noted that corroborates the statement.
Academy officials did not comment on the Waverly situation specifically, as they are not involved, but they did comment only on the procedure outlined in training concerning witness statements for crashes.
Roe, however, expressed dismay at the situation, saying it puts a "black eye" on the department and leads to rumors of corruption, especially in a case in which an official had been expressing concern about the case.
"There never should have been anything done with (the statement), but put with the report.... If someone changes their story half a dozen times, that's not my problem, that's your problem on the stand.... I'm doing all I can to discipline the guy and I'm putting policies in place. That doesn't help with the past, but I hope it doesn't happen again," Roe said.
A disciplinary hearing for Mowery on the discarded witness statement was conducted in mid-December. Roe said Mowery was notified a week ago that he would be suspended without pay for three days, which was done at the end of the past week.
Also during the past week, Roe said a complaint of political corruption has been filed with the Attorney General's Office. Roe said there's nothing to the complaint, but he welcomes state investigators to look into the case.
Roe also commented he is not swayed by political figures or others in high standing in the community.
"Fortunately for me, I don't get voted in or voted out. I say what I think, and I do what's right," he said.
Another directive issued Dec. 13 deals with officers responding to incidents that involve employees or family members of officials. In those cases, officers now should contact Roe or the second-in-command immediately. If the incident is a traffic crash, Roe said they are to ask the Ohio Highway Patrol to investigate if at all possible. Roe also directed officers not to re-file charges without approval by a supervisor so they "do not get confronted with something" they are "totally unaware of."
Mowery declined comment on the situation at this time. A call placed to Reed's last known home phone number Friday revealed it had been disconnected, and he could not be reached for comment.
noname

Columbus, OH

#4 Jan 22, 2012
It is about time BCI was called into Pike County and I am glad someone reported what they believe to be corruption to the Attorney General.
Its about time

Waverly, OH

#5 Jan 22, 2012
You GO Johnny!!!!
LMFAO

United States

#6 Jan 22, 2012
There has been corruption in Pike Co. for years, YES, it's about time it was found out.
old school

Circleville, OH

#7 Jan 22, 2012
law director Marie hoover Assistant prosecotor Tony Morlgeja brother and sister (nothing at all going on around here)so lets put our heads back in the sand and let these fine people get back to work
Corrupt

Waverly, OH

#8 Jan 22, 2012
Tampering with evidence, insurance fraud, unbecoming of a city official, civil lawsuit, etc.
noname

Columbus, OH

#9 Jan 22, 2012
there has also been behavior unbecoming of an officer of other waverly pd also
Juanita

Waverly, OH

#10 Jan 22, 2012
noname wrote:
there has also been behavior unbecoming of an officer of other waverly pd also
this is coming from the "Dept of redundancy Dept"
noname

Columbus, OH

#11 Jan 22, 2012
Juanita wrote:
<quoted text>this is coming from the "Dept of redundancy Dept"
it might be redundant but still true. sick of seeing it go on year end and year out. wish something would be done
concerned

Ann Arbor, MI

#12 Jan 22, 2012
I sounds to me like Sarah should have just paid her citation and moved forward! I find it hard to believe that aaron did anything he should be suspended for....it actually sounds like he was just doing his job and doing it correctly. It appears roe and south were not worried about fairness or the law just keeping the mayor happy! Oh yeah and funny he just stepped down...hmmmm...Kudos to mowery for doing what is right and not falling into the "good old boy" way of behaving! Mowery you're a great officer and a class above the dept you work for!
Also concerned

Waverly, OH

#13 Jan 22, 2012
The discarded, irrelevant statement is a side show (right or wrong). The real issue is a lady in a hurry (It's all about ME!) running a stop sign and failing to beat a light turning red. She crashes into a car, sending a lady to the hospital and destroying her car. Then, because she's related to the then mayor, village powers unite to assure the offender's citations are all dismissed on technicalities. Not once, but twice. And the poor officer who dared write them is suspended. That's what I get from this article.
Ummm

Circleville, OH

#14 Jan 22, 2012
Johnny wrote:
WAVERLY -- What began as a minor injury traffic crash in October has developed into myriad accusations that might go to state investigators to sort out.
Among allegations being made is that Waverly police officer Aaron Mowery mishandled the crash investigation when he tossed out a conflicting witness statement and that former Waverly Mayor Dale Reed tried to use his position to influence the case.
Pike County Prosecutor Rob Junk said he is trying to keep his office from being in the middle of the finger-pointing. However, after Junk received a letter from the Ohio Attorney General's Office about a complaint that Police Chief Larry Roe said was alleging corruption, the prosecutor said he might ask the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation to investigate the claim.
"That does not mean that we think any officer committed any crime in any way, shape or form at all. We just want someone neutral to look at it," Junk said.
He declined to share a copy of the letter, saying it was part of an ongoing investigation. As of Thursday, a spokesman for the Attorney General's Office said the office is "not aware of a request to look into an allegation of political corruption in Waverly."
A crash, an officer and a mayor
The allegations all began when two vehicles crashed at the intersection of East Emmitt Avenue and Clough Street about 6:20 p.m. Oct. 9, according to the traffic crash and companion incident reports obtained by the Chillicothe Gazette via a public records request.
Waverly officer Aaron Mowery led the investigation and was assisted by part-time officer Barney Goodwin.
Sarah A. Richter, 23, of Waverly, told officers she had a yellow light as she entered the intersection from Clough Street. Meanwhile, Vesta J. Howard, 50, of Piketon, said her light at Emmitt and Clough had just turned green and as she entered the intersection, her Dodge Caravan collided with a GMC Suburban driven by Richter. Howard was the only person in the crash reported taken to the hospital for treatment of injuries.
According to crash investigative notes obtained from Junk's office, Mowery noted on Oct. 11 that he had obtained a statement from the woman who had reported the crash to 911, but he "did not use it" because of "too many inconsistencies in her story."
Mowery, who used witness statements and video captured by a nearby business' camera as part of his investigation, determined Richter was at fault and charged her with two minor misdemeanors for running a stop sign and a red light. She was served the citations Oct. 14.
Before issuing the citations, Mowery noted in Oct. 10 investigative notes that then-Mayor Dale Reed contacted him and made comments that Richter could not be at fault. Mowery also noted that Reed allegedly had said "not to issue a citation to Sarah until he spoke with Chief Roe himself."
Richter lives with Reed's son, Matt, and was driving Matt's vehicle.
Omg! This makes me happy! The same thing happened in a wreck I was in, just a different officer.
thinkso

Waverly, OH

#15 Jan 22, 2012
noname wrote:
It is about time BCI was called into Pike County and I am glad someone reported what they believe to be corruption to the Attorney General.
I would think the BCI would have better things to do than worry about a traffic ticket.
may find

Waverly, OH

#16 Jan 22, 2012
thinkso wrote:
<quoted text>I would think the BCI would have better things to do than worry about a traffic ticket.
You may find that if BCI gets involved there will be a lot more "corruption" exposed than just a traffic ticket.
Dont think so

Waverly, OH

#17 Jan 23, 2012
may find wrote:
<quoted text>
You may find that if BCI gets involved there will be a lot more "corruption" exposed than just a traffic ticket.
Bring it on!
Eli Manning

Waverly, OH

#18 Jan 23, 2012
So maybe there is more to Dale Reed's retirement than he said. Hmmm makes you think.
what

Waverly, OH

#19 Jan 23, 2012
thinkso wrote:
<quoted text>I would think the BCI would have better things to do than worry about a traffic ticket.
nope traffic is as complex as it gets with BCI.
The Big Picture

Amanda, OH

#20 Jan 23, 2012
From what I read it seems as if Officer Mowery done his job correctly. I realize that the article mentions this elusive statement. But really if this statement can be proved inconsistent, then why would it be used. It also states that the ticket was issued mainly if not only on the video evidence. As I read it he went as far as not giving any one a ticket until he further investigated the crash. Then re issued the ticket after it being “Seemingly” swept under the rug the first time. So I believe he should be commended for standing up and doing the right thing. Law Enforcement is one of several jobs that people take an Oath stating that they will do their job right. It looks as if maybe the Ex mayor should have taken his Oath a little more serious. If he would have just kept his so called small town political nose out of the investigation and not tried to change the outcome then we wouldn’t even be reading this thread or the article in the paper. I know people that work at the Waverly Police Department and I have yet to hear anything bad about Mowery from any of them. So my hat’s off to you Mowery. Stick to your guns

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waverly Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
camp creek town ship wants high speed internet (Jun '10) 1 hr TLNS 16
Which women have the prettiest long toes in Pik... 3 hr Noone 3
The South Pole Does Not Exist! 5 hr Eric Dubay 1
Scientists Vote The Earth IS Flat 7 hr Flat Truth 1
Electrician 11 hr jason 2
Rhoden MARIJUANA farm Sat smoker 4
hannah rhoden Sat detective 3
union hill shooting Fri Just My Opinion 39
More from around the web

Personal Finance