Mayor Garcia and the waveland police ...

Mayor Garcia and the waveland police department.

Posted in the Waveland Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
James

Fairhope, AL

#1 Jun 5, 2013
The only thing I can say is WOW.The vote goes 2 to 2 and our mayor goes with Mr.Allen for our new chief.Nothing agains Mr.Allen but I believe that if Mr.Mike Prendergast would have "VOTED" for you he would,and SHOULD be the chief.Thank GOD you will not be running as mayor again.My be we can get someone with a brain in there to make the RIGHT choice.Thank you Shane and Mr.Kidd for not voting yes on that.
Watcher

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#2 Jun 5, 2013
James wrote:
The only thing I can say is WOW.The vote goes 2 to 2 and our mayor goes with Mr.Allen for our new chief.Nothing agains Mr.Allen but I believe that if Mr.Mike Prendergast would have "VOTED" for you he would,and SHOULD be the chief.Thank GOD you will not be running as mayor again.My be we can get someone with a brain in there to make the RIGHT choice.Thank you Shane and Mr.Kidd for not voting yes on that.
Seriously, did you just suggest Mike Prendergast should be the chief? That is as ludicrous as suggesting Shane Lafontaine or Mark Kidd have any support for the police. That is easy to see after Shane's banter with Mr. Hurt over the animal warden and he and Mark's trying to turn their backs on a man who has poured his heart into this city since day one. Mike Prendergast has an IQ of 2, just talk to him....The mayor and board obviously make some boneheaded decisions, as evident in any meeting, but they got this one right. Congratulations Mr. Allen.
James

Fairhope, AL

#3 Jun 5, 2013
This is one of there bonehead decisions.And IQ has nothing to do with running a PD.Just look at the IQ of the mayor that vote MR.ALLEN as chief.!LOL This is all about WHO you backed and VOTED for!Not the best man for the job.And if anyone has been there from DAY ONE i think Mike is the one.
Waveland Resident

Biloxi, MS

#4 Jun 5, 2013
I do not call what I witnessed last night at the meeting bantering! Shane was simply asking about some issues he had personally experienced with some dogs around his house in addition to a complaint from a resident on Jeff Davis!
Also it is apparent that you have not been at many meetings or you don't pay attention if you think Mark and Shane do not support the PD! They are the ones that voted to keep the PD and restore their pay after the cuts. Shane even rode patrol when our officers were alone on shift so get your facts straight before you write! If that is not supporting them I am not sure what is!
Isn't it funny how the almighty fire department has a Chief and Asst Chief but our PD only has a Chief! Check the number of calls the PD goes on versus the FD! I am sure the PD out numbers them 3-1! They so more with less! This is not a slam to Mike and Tony, as it was not their decision but the Mayor's! If there is anyone at City Hall who doesn't support the PD it is the Mayor!
Watcher

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#5 Jun 5, 2013
Waveland Resident wrote:
I do not call what I witnessed last night at the meeting bantering! Shane was simply asking about some issues he had personally experienced with some dogs around his house in addition to a complaint from a resident on Jeff Davis!
Also it is apparent that you have not been at many meetings or you don't pay attention if you think Mark and Shane do not support the PD! They are the ones that voted to keep the PD and restore their pay after the cuts. Shane even rode patrol when our officers were alone on shift so get your facts straight before you write! If that is not supporting them I am not sure what is!
Isn't it funny how the almighty fire department has a Chief and Asst Chief but our PD only has a Chief! Check the number of calls the PD goes on versus the FD! I am sure the PD out numbers them 3-1! They so more with less! This is not a slam to Mike and Tony, as it was not their decision but the Mayor's! If there is anyone at City Hall who doesn't support the PD it is the Mayor!
I do make most all of the meetings, and last night was a bitchfit because someone didn't get what he wanted exactly when he wanted it. Mr. Hurt told him how quickly the dog guy took care of his calls. As for support, I hardly call saving the city 30 grand by keeping a skeleton crew on the PD versus hiring the Sheriff supporting the PD, That's doing your job and I do applaude him for that. As for the Fire Department issue...We have found common ground, I entirely agree with you.
HomeoftheWave

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#6 Jun 5, 2013
Can anyone give me a good reason why David Allen shouldn't have been appointed Waveland Police Chief? From the outside looking in David Allen seems to have all the qualities that a good department head needs.
Watcher

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#7 Jun 5, 2013
HomeoftheWave wrote:
Can anyone give me a good reason why David Allen shouldn't have been appointed Waveland Police Chief? From the outside looking in David Allen seems to have all the qualities that a good department head needs.
Exactaly what I was thinking. Can the same be said of the other name said one here?
Waveland Resident

Gulfport, MS

#8 Jun 5, 2013
I am not saying Mr. Allen isn't qualified but if you didn't interview anyone else, how would you know? Apparently Mayor Garcia didn't have confidence in Mr. Allen before or he wouldnt have hired Mr. Hurt to start with! What changed?

I think someone needs to ask the New Chief what happened to 3 assault rifles that came up missing while he was the "acting" chief!
James

Fairhope, AL

#9 Jun 6, 2013
I am not saying Mr.Allen is not a good choice.I do not know him.I just think living here most of my life and knowing how things go.I think the mayor does not want to better that department.If it is not the fire department he does not care.And I believe MR.Mike has done a GREAT job in the past and should have been in the running.Garcia knows who surported him and who didn't.
antoinette

Waveland, MS

#10 Jun 6, 2013
instead of putting down on people if you were at the meeting instead of worrying about the dog catcher situation you ought to be worrying about how the board approved a new contract with a comptroller who lives in texas and paid herself over the amount of the contract she already had for 24,000. that could be a serious problem. especially since there is no cap on the new contract. this is what you call pitiful!!! SERIOUSLY DO WE NOT HAVE ANY CPA'S IN OUR HOMETOWN!!
jasmine

Waveland, MS

#11 Jun 6, 2013
ALL I CAN SAY FOR WAVELAND IS THEY NEED MORE ALDERMAN LIKE MR. LAFONTAINE AND MR. KIDD!!!!!!!! THERE CONCERN IS THE BETTER FOR THE CITIZENS OF WAVELAND!!!!!! SEEMS THEY DON'T VOTE THE BUDDY SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!
candlegirl

Waveland, MS

#12 Jun 6, 2013
WOW ! What I just read . I cannot believe people thinks Mike "P" should be the new chief. People the reason he was LAID OFF was he was not doing his job. Nothing to do with budget cuts. That is why he still has a lawsuit pending.
Waveland Resident

Fargo, ND

#13 Jun 6, 2013
candlegirl wrote:
WOW ! What I just read . I cannot believe people thinks Mike "P" should be the new chief. People the reason he was LAID OFF was he was not doing his job. Nothing to do with budget cuts. That is why he still has a lawsuit pending.
Candlegirl, I think your flame is out. If you think Mike P was laid off because he was not doing your job you are crazy. Mike P was laid off as was Mac Cowand, Brett Ladner and Howard Parker because they supported former Mayor Longo during his trial and former Chief Varnell got upset about that so he CHOSE who to layoff and stated it was budget cuts. Varnell kept his little puppets and let all the worker bees go. And you see what ultimately happened to him. Not to mention Mike P and Mac are back. If they weren't doing their jobs, why hire them back. Get real!
Candlegirl

Waveland, MS

#14 Jun 6, 2013
Worker Bees HA ! It must have been nice to go to work for 9:00 , leave for a 2 hour lunch then after lunch launch Brett's boat for fishing on city time !!! Trust me "worker bees " did not own alarm clocks before they where laid off. They did not need one. Many times I was right next to them in my boat & told them I want there jobs. I got smiles & laughs :)
James

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#15 Jun 6, 2013
ok so you seen them going fishing.You do not know if they were on or off the clock.And you did not see them out have the night before helping on calls and checking on the other guys.That was there job to make sure the guys did there night checks on all the busness.NO OVER TIME just comp time.This is not about the police it is about the boneheaded vote our mayor made.
candlegirl

Waveland, MS

#16 Jun 6, 2013
It is about them. The decision the mayor made voting the new chief. everyone thinks it should have been Mike & this is the reason I am writing on this topix. I disagree. Mike P out checking on his patrolmen "RIGHT" THAT is what night shift supervisors were paid to do. Mike P did not do his job then & would not do it now. He is doing good right where he, NOT CHIEF running a department.
AreSun

Biloxi, MS

#17 Jun 6, 2013
MP-Has everyone forgotten about that incident, uh conviction, uh exponging or whatever you call it? Even tho it was many years ago its hard to justify. Amazing he was allowed back into law enforcement regardless of like him or not. Maybe yall should change this subject before it gets out of hand and uglier than it needs to be.
candlegirl

Gulfport, MS

#18 Jun 6, 2013
AreSun - You are so right On all "PARTS" of your comment. That being said I want to say - Great job Kenny for getting Wavelad Police Department back on track in all aspects and Congrats to David Allen with his new position. Keep up the good work.
jasmine

Waveland, MS

#19 Jun 7, 2013
o.k. Waveland has a new chief. How is everybody saying all this about mike p. the guy wasn't even in the running for chief. there were no applications taken for the job. mayor garcia and Kenny hurt had the choice of who got the job. so seems to me people are just starting a bunch of bull. but my belief Waveland citizens should have to vote on the position of a chief. not just the mayors choice.
Got it right

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#20 Jun 7, 2013
James wrote:
I am not saying Mr.Allen is not a good choice.I do not know him.I just think living here most of my life and knowing how things go.I think the mayor does not want to better that department.If it is not the fire department he does not care.And I believe MR.Mike has done a GREAT job in the past and should have been in the running.Garcia knows who surported him and who didn't.
I agree 100 percent. Garcia main care is the Fire Department. And if you had two Alderman voting against it why wouldn't you at least take other applications? Mike has all the training needed already to do the job of Chief and instead is still a road officer. Is it right to take his job due to budget and then give someone else that job. I like David but most qualified? Not Even Close. Another thing is if we're saving money is it cheaper to give someone the job who has already had the Chief classes or give it to someone who has to take them?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blue eyes country accent Dec 15 Costal king 1
Over 10,000 FEMA trailers (full-size) in Hope. ... (Feb '06) Dec 12 Kevin Hightower 127
Jimmie Mims (fat man) Joyce's husband! (Feb '17) Dec 1 08hd63l 3
News Sound Off for Nov. 29: Why not turn skate park ... Dec 1 mark1957 1
How Corrupt Is the Hancock County Sheriff's Dep... (Jan '07) Nov 27 Whytry7777 854
News Lagasse seeks re-election for Justice Court judge (Apr '07) Nov 22 notimpressed 12
News Adult sex dating in picayune mississippi (Sep '08) Nov '17 Johanshsy74 5

Waveland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waveland Mortgages