Capital murder case bound over to grand jury

Jul 23, 2009 Full story: Sunherald.com 70

Harrison County Judge Gaston Hewes has ordered the case against capital murder suspect Richard Lambert bound over to a grand jury.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Travis

Newport, KY

#1 Sep 13, 2009
I Know Richard Lambert personally an this shit is just a attack on him because of his past people need to get there heads out of there ass an relize people change they don know who did comitted this crime richard was just in the wrong place at the weong time an because of his past they put it all on him...
dang

Gulfport, MS

#2 Sep 13, 2009
dang
urnotready

Cincinnati, OH

#3 Sep 23, 2009
Im with Travis.. I know him too. very well.. The feds were looking for him outta cinti and were hot on his trail..Sometimes when you show local deputies a picture followed by the question "have you seen this man" and provide a rap sheet of his past and there is a simular case in your county doesn't mean that he commited the crime.. Its easy to blame him cause of his past. But its all a bunch of bull if you ask me..
HisSister

Fairborn, OH

#4 Sep 30, 2009
I am one of Ricky's sisters and my heart goes out to the families that he has hurt, but what people have to remember is that the victim's family isn't the only family that lost someone. Ricky's family has lost someone they love as well. So when you people say the mean things that you say about him, like "just hang him" or "give him a gun and a needle" that's hurtful to us. He's not sitting here reading this stuff. We are. Just because he committed a crime don't mean his family did. Ricky also has family that cares for him. So please be respectful. It's just as hard on us as it is on the victims family.
Billy Barnett Jr

Madisonville, KY

#5 Oct 5, 2009
I too know Ric, quite well actually. Ric was, and still is, a very good friend of mine. You people need to get up off his ass and let it be. You people who are quick to condem have no clue as to what is fact or fiction in the matter. Frankly most of you really don't care what the facts are. No you don't. You're just people who have nothing better to do than waste time judging and talking about others.
reality

Cincinnati, OH

#6 Oct 9, 2009
Reality is Richard Adam Lambert has damaged many peoples lives. If you know him, open your eyes. HE AND ONLY HE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE ACTIONS. He has destroyed many peoples lives. Has murdered at least one person, taking a mother from her young child, taking a daughter from her parents. This is reality. The sad fact-this is the only murder he has been tried for and charged with. Even then, spending less than 7 years for killing another human and attempting escape from jail with a federal prisioner.
Additionally, he is the prime suspect in at least 3 murders in 3 different states. Really, you think that is a coincidence? If you do you should open your eyes (facts speak volumes louder than opinions). Yes, people can change. However, he has not changed. He is a murderer and a rapist will forever remain that. For his family and friends: if it makes you feel better about yourselves, keep your eyes closed to reality on and see him as you wish. I will forever see him as he is. But, regardless of how you see him, he deserved to be severly punished for his actions.
Susan

Largo, FL

#7 Oct 11, 2009
I am Mr Barnes's step-daughter. I just found out today of his horrible murder. Unfortunately I am not able to access any of the past news stories concerning this matter. So please pardon me if I don't quite make sense. It seems that there is no archives in either the Sun or the other paper mentioned, that goes back that far. can anyone help me? also, Mr Barnes has a direct blood grandson, Robby,(Robert Ray Barnes IV) does anyone know if he is award of his grandfather's untimely death?
Susan

Largo, FL

#8 Oct 11, 2009
HisSister wrote:
I am one of Ricky's sisters and my heart goes out to the families that he has hurt, but what people have to remember is that the victim's family isn't the only family that lost someone. Ricky's family has lost someone they love as well. So when you people say the mean things that you say about him, like "just hang him" or "give him a gun and a needle" that's hurtful to us. He's not sitting here reading this stuff. We are. Just because he committed a crime don't mean his family did. Ricky also has family that cares for him. So please be respectful. It's just as hard on us as it is on the victims family.
Hi, I know you are hurting as well as us. His Mr Barnes' granddaughter thru me Just found out by going over (no we are not a real close knit family, but we are family. My daughter lives right there near Gulfport and it has been almost a year since she had seen him. Which is how I found out. Can you give me any information?
sweetpea

Mount Sherman, KY

#9 Oct 29, 2009
Sorry for everyone's loss. I don't know alot about the details, just that Rick was staying in a bed and breakfast in the area where the elderly man lived and was seen cashing a check from the victim's account. A few days after Rick left Mississippi and headed toward home, the body was found by a fisherman. There is also question to whether or not Rick was involved in the disappearance of a Florida man, since Rick was using identification with the missing man's information. Haven't been able to find much since he was extradited to Mississippi from KY.
UnKnown

Knoxville, TN

#10 Nov 7, 2009
I have heard all of the details of this case. It is a no brainer, I dont care who is his family if you have common sense you will know he did it, I know people who have some proof about this case they are just not coming forward, unless they are forced to do so. It is all true, he is also linked to a missing guy from the Destin Florida area. The guy has never been found since he was down there about 2 weeks before his arrest. We have proof he was down in the are at the time the last guy went missing and that guys ID was in his wallet when he was arrested , and he had been spending his credit cards and stuff also. There is a lot more details that the family does not know , point blank he is a seriel killer. God rest his soul, I hope that he finds Jesus and that he finds the truth while in the prison cell for years. I have no sympathy for anyone who has done these sorta crimes, it is Satan and there is no other way to look at it.
whatev

Gulfport, MS

#11 Dec 4, 2009
Richard is worthless piece of sh*t that should have been aborted
whatev

Gulfport, MS

#12 Dec 4, 2009
P.S. I hope when Mississippi kills this bastard, (which they will), they blow a vein and he dies slow agonizing death.
BRAND

United States

#14 Feb 8, 2010
Don't even talk man you don't know anything you need to get your head out of your ass before you judge I'm with the top 5 because he was like a brother and yes I lived with him so before you get high and mighty tucked behind a computer screen why don't you try choking on your own cock that you don't have.. He is a good man now got w degree in jail the first time where he changed his life around.. Had his own business and made more than your Ass any day so fuck you.
Justice for ALL

Cincinnati, OH

#15 Feb 20, 2010
Enjoy your last few days on earth Richard..Sorry to all of his friends , family and victims.May you get peace ..............
Just Curious

United States

#16 Mar 8, 2010
Has anyone heard anything about this case? He has been in jail for around 8 months and there isn't anything on the internet about a trial or anything.
His sister

Fort Worth, TX

#17 Mar 8, 2010
No, it's like he fell of the earth. We haven't heard anything. I'm guessing they are still working on his case.
NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS

Louisville, KY

#18 Mar 20, 2010
He is a guilty piece of sh$%. He is goon fry and rot in He11. I would do it myself if they would let me. He is useless to society. I would love to let the familys he has harmed torcher him for as long as it takes to kill him.
Just Curious

United States

#19 May 11, 2010
I completely understand the anger and hatred toward this person, but I think that all of you need to think about the fact that this man has a family that is suffering also. The people that he has murdered and their families are not the only victims in this case. His family are also victims. I completely agree that he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law, but his family doesn't deserve to be punished. Please consider that before posting nasty and hateful messages.
patience giancaspro

Gulfport, MS

#20 May 21, 2010
ok...people im no friend of him..nor do i know him but i agree if he didnt do the crime people are saying he did then he doesnt deserve the punishment ..people need to stop being asshole and blameing him...see, i dont know if he did or if he didnt, but if he didnt then stop blameing him ..damn..
READ

Florence, KY

#21 Jun 26, 2010
----------

October 23, 2003
The Cincinnati Enquirer

BURLINGTON - A jury convicted Richard Lambert Wednesday afternoon of killing 22-year-old Rebecca Ritchie in 2001.

But jurors rejected the prosecution's charge of murder, instead finding Lambert guilty on the less serious charge of reckless homicide as well as tampering with physical evidence.

Lambert, who has been in jail awaiting trial since March 2001, is immediately eligible for parole.

"Just because he is eligible for parole now it doesn't mean the parole board will grant it," said Commonwealth's Attorney Linda Tally Smith, who was visibly upset with the verdict.

The murder conviction she had sought could have kept Lambert from the parole board for at least 20 years.

Lambert smiled and chomped on what appeared to be a piece of gum after the verdict was read.

His Cincinnati lawyers, J. Richard Scott and Adam Bleile, said the verdict showed that their client didn't mean to kill Ritchie. Lambert, 26, contended he killed Ritchie in self defense. He took the stand during the five-day trial and claimed Ritchie was trying to rob him.

"My client is very remorseful about what happened to Ms. Ritchie," said Bleile. "He has taken responsibility, but he wanted his side of the story told. Ms. Ritchie did have a hand in her own death."

Friends of Ritchie, who were present when the verdict was read, said perhaps the jurors would not have opted to convict on the lesser charge had they known Lambert could be immediately paroled. Under Kentucky law, prosecutors are not allowed to explain the state's sentencing guidelines to a jury before it returns a verdict.

After the verdict, Smith explained to the jury it affected the time Lambert would spend behind bars. Four women and two men on the jury became visibly upset - some cried while others covered their faces - as Smith talked about sentencing guidelines.

The jury then deliberated for three minutes before recommending the maximum sentence - seven years with immediate eligibility for parole.

Boone Circuit Judge Jay Bamberger will sentence Lambert Dec. 10.

Smith said Lambert floated different defenses during the more than two years the case has worked its way through the court system.

"I'm clearly disappointed," Smith said. "It is unfortunate he (Lambert) was able to manipulate the system, from trying various defenses to attempting to break out of jail," Smith said.

Lambert, who served as his own attorney in the months leading up to the trial, was implicated last year in a foiled escape attempt from the Boone County Jail. He has never formally been charged in that case.

"I consider this verdict a loss for the people of Boone County," Smith said. "This man will be back on the streets soon."

Major Jack Banks, a veteran officer who leads the Boone County Sheriff's detective bureau, said he was disappointed in the verdict because of the solid evidence detectives gathered.

"This is the best case my office has worked since I took over," Banks said. "We had a suspect in custody and physical evidence even before we had a body."

Police said Lambert killed Ritchin February 2001. Police arrested Lambert more than a month before they found Ritchie's body in the Ohio River.

During the trial, Lambert's father testified his son told him the day after the killing he had gone to Covington to buy drugs. A woman tried to rip him off so he chased her, punched her and strangled her, he said.

Prosecutors said Lambert put the body in the back of his pickup, drove to a boat ramp and dumped it in the river.

"We all took an oath," said Banks after the verdict.

"Part of the oath is to honor the jury's verdict. That's what we intend to do."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Petty Council Strikes Again 13 hr In agreement 2
Ruling stands for Pearl River Co. in plant dispute Sun DarkShadow 2
Murder trial begins for Kiln man who shot sister Fri Seriously 3
Leaders discuss 'trashy' situation Dec 19 ladner 1
Race, gender, sexual differences part of Divers... Dec 17 Concerned Citizen 2
Self storage (May '12) Dec 12 Wally West 5
Gulf Grove Apartments, Waveland, Mississippi (Apr '12) Dec 4 christina 21
Waveland Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Waveland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Waveland News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Waveland

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:58 pm PST

Bleacher Report 3:58PM
Is This End of the Line for Brees in NOLA?
Bleacher Report 6:35 PM
Steve Smith Calls Critical Ravens Fans 'Fat, Lazy, Sorry Couch Quarterbacks'
NBC Sports11:23 PM
Texans remain in hunt with 25-13 win over Ravens - NBC Sports
Yahoo! Sports 1:30 AM
ICYMI: Ravens, Saints stumble; 3 titles to decide
NBC Sports 1:33 AM
Jones' return helps Falcons eliminate Saints, 30-14 - NBC Sports