First Prev
of 6
Next Last
BayNews

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#1 Aug 9, 2013
"Falgout suggested looking into millage increases and bond issues."

This is Mr Fagout's quote from the last council meeting regarding doing something to reduce flooding in his district.

His district is entirely in a flood zone and flood insurance has tripled for his residents since K. So he has been in office for a couple of months and now wants to raise taxes on his people?

Link: http://www.seacoastecho.com/article_7169.shtm...

You can copy and paste it into your browser to read the article.
Ralph

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#2 Aug 10, 2013
BayNews wrote:
"Falgout suggested looking into millage increases and bond issues."
This is Mr Fagout's quote from the last council meeting regarding doing something to reduce flooding in his district.
His district is entirely in a flood zone and flood insurance has tripled for his residents since K. So he has been in office for a couple of months and now wants to raise taxes on his people?
Link: http://www.seacoastecho.com/article_7169.shtm...
You can copy and paste it into your browser to read the article.
He is just trying to find ways to help the people who elected him. he only is seeking information.
6th Ward

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#3 Aug 10, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>He is just trying to find ways to help the people who elected him. he only is seeking information.
Not sure what he is attempting to accomplish unless he can figure out how to controll the wind and tides.
Shady

Biloxi, MS

#4 Aug 12, 2013
6th Ward wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure what he is attempting to accomplish unless he can figure out how to controll the wind and tides.
I do not live in his ward-i do not want my taxes to increase
I did not choose to live there so I do not think I need to pay more taxes to help his people
unbelievable-
Ralph

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#5 Aug 12, 2013
Shady wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not live in his ward-i do not want my taxes to increase
I did not choose to live there so I do not think I need to pay more taxes to help his people
unbelievable-
We were annexed without a vote. We pay taxes to pay for your beautification We are part of the city and your taxes and your street lights must help pay for our improvements. You took us and now you have us.
6th Ward

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#6 Aug 12, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>We were annexed without a vote. We pay taxes to pay for your beautification We are part of the city and your taxes and your street lights must help pay for our improvements. You took us and now you have us.
I agree on some of your points, but the street lights were paid for by a grant and beautification really doesn't cost as much as you think. The problem with our area is that people have no pride of ownership in their property. We look ok on some streets but most look like crap and there isn't much we can do about it.

The city can't stop flooding and everyone knows it... we are in a swamp.

Lonnie is stiring the pot very hard and will have a hard time getting anything done for us in the future. He will have burned to many bridges. Just my opinion, but I've been around long enough to know that you can't be a bull in a china shop and expect positive results.
WARD ONE

Biloxi, MS

#7 Aug 13, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>We were annexed without a vote. We pay taxes to pay for your beautification We are part of the city and your taxes and your street lights must help pay for our improvements. You took us and now you have us.
I live in ward one-we have the same street lights that you have and guess what-no side walks-our area is a lot older than your area
your ward used the same hoopla to get this man eleacted WE aere very aware
i do not want my taxes raised
and you chose to live in that area-in fact it is betternow that it was when you purchase your property
i think the city spends too much out in that area
we will be out in force for the budget hearing
i agree maybe we need to vote and see if the city wants to annex that area-let hold a vote see how many people want that area annexed-
I want the same spent in my ward-
The River Rats

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#8 Aug 13, 2013
In 5 weeks, he got 14 properties to a hearing, has 47 more waiting to go to hearings, had a round table meeting with 22 citizens on future suggestions and there is a meeting scheduled with BMR and the Corp of Engineers in Sept. regarding canals and street flooding. Also a new "Welcome To Hancock" sign will be installed on 603 in the next few months. Paid by businesses in the county. How do we know this? Because HE emails us with the info and such! We river rats put him there and at last maybe the Adm. in BSL will know our contributions to this city the last few years. We will give him that chance because all the Adm. made was promises.
Montana

Biloxi, MS

#9 Aug 14, 2013
The River Rats wrote:
In 5 weeks, he got 14 properties to a hearing, has 47 more waiting to go to hearings, had a round table meeting with 22 citizens on future suggestions and there is a meeting scheduled with BMR and the Corp of Engineers in Sept. regarding canals and street flooding. Also a new "Welcome To Hancock" sign will be installed on 603 in the next few months. Paid by businesses in the county. How do we know this? Because HE emails us with the info and such! We river rats put him there and at last maybe the Adm. in BSL will know our contributions to this city the last few years. We will give him that chance because all the Adm. made was promises.
Beg to differ-those properties have been on the list-cam't take credit for that-good job Bay administration
Hancok Sign-Tourism- stuck nose to get credit
Newsflash-Canals have been on the agenda with the Army Corp-hear of a meeting -lets send an email
Another newsflash-All citizens contribute to Bay St Louis-
Name the promises and I will personally ask the adminstration myself-i live in Ward Six
Newsflasn:NOT on the email list of the 22 round table -wonder WHY
do not want my taxes to increase, i like my street the way it is-and
NEWSFLASh-i have street lights like everyone else out here oh and i also, cut my own grass in front of my house -can not understand why some people do not cut their grass in their ditches
in front of their own houses! OH i get it-gives one something to complain about-interesting

oh all councilmen email-even on city web site-another newsflash
flasher

Gulfport, MS

#10 Aug 15, 2013
taking credit AGAIN for what the mayor and city has already done. and still trying to convince people that the taxes paid by shoreline pay for ALL the services they get and then some. NOT! Lol, the maybe half million they pay a year doesn't pay for the police, fire, grass cutting, and dirt work much less is it enough for new paving new roads, sidewalks in the swamp ditches etc. Loonie Lies again and again. and what happened to all his rah rah about the fire department insurance rating? thought he said he had proof we were going to lose it?? Looney cant get anything right it seems to me. He said the city just wouldn't spend their money in his ward, now all of a sudden since he's been on the council he sees hes wrong and now wants to raise his peoples taxes maybe everybodys taxes. Priceless!
SIxer

Pearl River, LA

#11 Aug 15, 2013
I live in Ward 6 and am very disheartened to hear that now Mr. Falgout is pulling the old Bait and Switch. Promises Promises till I get elected and now all of a sudden He wants to raise my taxes that is BS. I am fine like I am Mr. Falgout. Take Sam, Libby, Chuck and the rest of your merry band of chronic complainers and raise their taxes, but I am fine paying what I already pay. I was told that Lonnie was not a very honest person and I am now starting to see it first hand. You should be ashamed of Yourself, lying to all your constituents to get elected.
River Rat Lady

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#12 Aug 16, 2013
I was at council budget last night and Mr. Falgout did not want taxes raised. In fact Mr. Seal, Favre and Compretta wants to raise utility rates for the "south side of 90". Mr. Falgout stated that "as long as it doesn't increase Ward 6 any higher, I'll look at it." The Adm. asked for the increase. Ins. rating bureau coming next month for inspection, lets see what they say before reacting people! Fact from Supervisors: They mailed letter to city asking for detailed plans for Ward 6 for the next year, or they will with hold Road and Bridge monies!!! Mr. Lonnie is looking to pass a Bond Issue for Ward 6 improvements from Road and Bridge Funds received every year and get the SUPERVISORS to use that $$$$$$ for Ward 6 only so the CITY DOES NOT LOSE it and the Supervisors spend it elsewhere. He's not increasing taxes, just trying to KEEP what is ours. He nor any councilmen discussed millage increases when they SET it last night. Go to meetings, hearings and Supervisor Meetings to REALLY find out what EACH and every official is proposing for us. You can learn a lot. Check the official transcripts to see what he's doing. You will be surprised if you truly want to help Ward 6!!!!!!!
Donnie

Gulfport, MS

#13 Aug 16, 2013
since utility rates haven't increased in over 20 years I think its way past time to raise them. That funny that the supervisors want to withhold road money...they didn't spend a red cent in shoreline park for the decades that they were responsible for every road and bridge there!! LOL! what hypocrites!!! Exactly WHAT did the supervisors do for shoreline after Katrina?? Get some grant money like the rest of the gulf coast to improve roads, drainage, ditches, utilities??? NO, NO, NO...not a penny for shoreline from the hancock supervisors, then immediately after Katrina BSL takes over, with not only Katrina damage to deal with but all the neglect of 40+ years thanks to the supervisors. Wow! Sounds like the people in shoreline park don't want to be part of BSL so why don't they do a petition to un-annex??
Donnie

Gulfport, MS

#14 Aug 16, 2013
oh and best of all the very outspoken Libby sat on the water board in shoreline for FIVE years after Katrina. Why didn't she step up THEN and raise hell about making improvements to their water???? Or better yet, why didn't she lead the charge to make something happen??? No, she'd rather point fingers now. Another hypocrite full of hot air.
well well well

Biloxi, MS

#15 Aug 19, 2013
River Rat Lady wrote:
I was at council budget last night and Mr. Falgout did not want taxes raised. In fact Mr. Seal, Favre and Compretta wants to raise utility rates for the "south side of 90". Mr. Falgout stated that "as long as it doesn't increase Ward 6 any higher, I'll look at it." The Adm. asked for the increase. Ins. rating bureau coming next month for inspection, lets see what they say before reacting people! Fact from Supervisors: They mailed letter to city asking for detailed plans for Ward 6 for the next year, or they will with hold Road and Bridge monies!!! Mr. Lonnie is looking to pass a Bond Issue for Ward 6 improvements from Road and Bridge Funds received every year and get the SUPERVISORS to use that $$$$$$ for Ward 6 only so the CITY DOES NOT LOSE it and the Supervisors spend it elsewhere. He's not increasing taxes, just trying to KEEP what is ours. He nor any councilmen discussed millage increases when they SET it last night. Go to meetings, hearings and Supervisor Meetings to REALLY find out what EACH and every official is proposing for us. You can learn a lot. Check the official transcripts to see what he's doing. You will be surprised if you truly want to help Ward 6!!!!!!!
He stated he wanted to raise taxes at the previous meeting -and now Mr. Lonnie is looking to pass a bond for WARD 6-well I hope Ward six residents are responsible for the bond-why should all $$$$ go to ward six-i live in five-ride around councilman-and do not need an ice chest of fish-just a little ashpalt will do!
How legal is using bridge and road tax $$ for one ward-mighty fishy!
helene

Gulfport, MS

#16 Aug 20, 2013
Sooooo! Mr Bowdine wants to start charging the taxpayers every time they need the fire department!!$250.00 (yep two hundred n fifty dollars) every time you need them is what he recommended no matter if its a fire or even if you get sick or hurt or in a wreck!!! Don't believe me?? Ask anyone that was there at the budget meeting last night! And what does he think should happen when people can't afford to pay?
renandstempy

Covington, LA

#17 Aug 22, 2013
Very conceivable solution to budget. every time a fire truck rolls it COST MONEY. Many of the cost associated with the fire department could and should be billed. especially auto accidents and fires. as for people getting sick?
50Dollars

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#18 Aug 23, 2013
Here is exactly what the article said:[•Ward Six Councilman Lonnie Falgout asked city leaders to look at all avenues to generate funds to correct the problems with flooding and other problems in ward Six. "It's time," said Falgout. We are in danger of going in reverse. "We need to make it the shining star it used to be." Falgout suggested looking into millage increases and bond issues.]

Now, for those of you who are trying to deny that he said anything about raising taxes, here you go – millage increases IS raising taxes, and bond issues also are paid for with tax dollars. So, can add 2 plus 2?

Let’s address the elephant in the room. Something Falgot obviously doesn’t know – Shoreline Park, prior to annexation had no hope of EVER having ANY improvements whatsoever while being under the jurisdiction of the County. It was a hell hole in many areas and beautiful in others. Anyone could come in and pitch a tent next to an expensive home and there wasn’t a thing you could do about it. Shining star? Really?$50 down and $50 a month…….

Now you keep saying you contribute more than you get. If you keep telling that lie over and over again, then not only will you convince some people that it is true, you may even convince yourself. Ward 6 contributes approximately $500,000 per year in ad valorem taxes to the City. The City has spent over $750,000 just in materials for road bed improvements, not to mention the cost of the state of the art Fire Station, etc. So, if you are going to keep whining, you need to come up with something that is true.

Chicken Little, Mr. Falgot: The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
Waveland Resident

United States

#19 Aug 23, 2013
I am just curious. A few weeks ago the citizens in the Waveland shoreline park were complaining about Waveland not doing anything for them and they got more from the county. IT was on that crazy breaking news facebook page. Funny to me that citizens from Bay St Louis were commenting that they should go to the meetings and demand for their ditches to be cut and more services. Which IMO, they think the same way, that they deserve more than the citizens not in the annexed area. But on the site, they are saying they didn't get anything from the county and should appreciate what the do get from the city. My question is why is the annexed Bay area any different from the Waveland annexed area. Everyone always wasnt to condemn Waveland and the Bay is not different. Just cracks me up.

As a taxpaying citizen of Waveland, if it is so bad, then petition to be de-annexed. I am sure you could get alot of signatures including the existing citizens in Waveland and the Bay. Then you can see how much the County did for you. If the County did so much, why is Waveland going to spending $400k in street paving in the annexed area. IF they were so good, the streets would already be paved.
50Dollars

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#20 Aug 23, 2013
Hope all y'all come to the "meeting" Falgot called for tomorrow. This should be good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bryan Cooper of the Cooper Company. May 9 Winniepooh 7
News One good 'Tern' - Rare birds' return ruffles fe... Apr 30 Charles Gray 1
News Rheta Grimsley Johnson: Kat and Mahalia and Bli... Apr 29 new ideas 3
massage therapist Apr '17 workingman 1
anyone know anything about HRL CONTRACTING (Jun '09) Apr '17 Jeff Hensiek 8
News Bay official pleads 'no contest' to DUI charge (May '16) Apr '17 Al B 5
Congratulations parents of Bryce Dubuisson you'... Apr '17 Username Taken 2

Waveland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance