First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fontenberry

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#1 Sep 10, 2013
Waveland employees are being forced to take wage increases instead of street lights.Their children will be fed rather than on food stamps.
mark

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#3 Sep 10, 2013
Fontenberry wrote:
Waveland employees are being forced to take wage increases instead of street lights.Their children will be fed rather than on food stamps.
If the kids need nutrition they can lick the iron off the poles.
annexed

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#4 Sep 10, 2013
That is great that Waveland employees are getting a raise. I hope the employees are getting a 20% raise like the Mayor gave himself when get told office?
Stella

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#5 Sep 10, 2013
annexed wrote:
That is great that Waveland employees are getting a raise. I hope the employees are getting a 20% raise like the Mayor gave himself when get told office?
At least he takes care of the people who make his city run.
serious

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#6 Sep 10, 2013
we are not getting a raise they are just paying the insurance addition i guess they call it a raise but its bull. they hired three more cops no they were always there as part time. i bet the fire department will get a lot more . David you must be getting ready for election time, your a joke. you should hook up with that one in the bay Falgut you would make a good pair.
worker

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#7 Sep 10, 2013
I for one am happy for the paid insurance. It may not be a large amount but its a move forward. I say again, a move forward. With that kind of comment you would think pay cuts were given out.
Rudy

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#8 Sep 11, 2013
Waveland elected a Mayor that worked to put them back on their feet financially!! He actually cares about the Citizens and City Employees!! BSL settled for LES.....
LoonieGoons

Gulfport, MS

#9 Sep 12, 2013
Why are loonie the goons followers on a blog about waveland? Just to stir up shat of course. At least the bay HAS employees!! Just ask the dozens of FORMER waveland employees. How many policemen and fireman does Wave have? Is David still picking up trash or has he hired more people to do that? Nothing against Waveland or David, longo left them in a mess and good luck to them all I say. The loonie crew just keeps on keepin on don't they!
interesting

Gulfport, MS

#10 Sep 12, 2013
Rudy wrote:
Waveland elected a Mayor that worked to put them back on their feet financially!! He actually cares about the Citizens and City Employees!! BSL settled for LES.....
Yes, they settled-at least the employees kept their jobs
hooray for the BAY-smart move BSL Voters
Ned

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#11 Sep 12, 2013
interesting wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they settled-at least the employees kept their jobs
hooray for the BAY-smart move BSL Voters
WHAT?
Coleman

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#12 Sep 12, 2013
Did the Mayor of Waveland really save the city?

What the Mayor did was cut the payroll by furloughing, not laying off, more than 60% of the City of Waveland workforce. This left citizens of Waveland without many community services that they paid for and leaving many people without work and no unemployment compensation. While all of this was happening the Mayor was still making his salary and driving around his large SUV.

Yes, Waveland was in the red but they were not as broke as many think. The City of Waveland kept finding bank accounts they never knew they had after all furloughs happened.

The way that Mayor Garcia 'saved Waveland' is the equivalent of saving your house from going in foreclosure by not feeding your children but still letting the man of the house eat his full plate of food.
Tijuana

Hattiesburg, MS

#13 Sep 12, 2013
annexed wrote:
he didn't get a raise when he took office!!! Sorry!!!
loonyToons

Gulfport, MS

#14 Sep 12, 2013
Coleman is on the mark. Some people have a funny idea about what 'saving' is! Tell that to the people who couldn't make a house note after they got laid off. Yeah, he really saved the city - at a lot of employee's expense. It's astounding that anyone can criticize the mayor of BSL.
annexed

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#15 Sep 12, 2013
Tijuana wrote:
<quoted text>he didn't get a raise when he took office!!! Sorry!!!
The position of Mayor of Waveland from 2006-2010 made $60,000. When Mayor David Garcia took office in 2010 he made position of Mayor of Waveland paid $72,000.

Someone can correct me if I wrong, but I believe when Mayor Garcia was Fire Chief Garcia in 2010 he was the highest paid employee in the City of Waveland at just over $60,000.
Tijuana

Hattiesburg, MS

#16 Sep 12, 2013
loonyToons wrote:
Coleman is on the mark. Some people have a funny idea about what 'saving' is! Tell that to the people who couldn't make a house note after they got laid off. Yeah, he really saved the city - at a lot of employee's expense. It's astounding that anyone can criticize the mayor of BSL.
i hear of people loseing their homes everyday. And believe me they aren't waveland employees. It's sad how people get on here and try to make conflict with two cities. Get a life
WavelandProud

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#17 Sep 13, 2013
annexed wrote:
<quoted text>
The position of Mayor of Waveland from 2006-2010 made $60,000. When Mayor David Garcia took office in 2010 he made position of Mayor of Waveland paid $72,000.
Someone can correct me if I wrong, but I believe when Mayor Garcia was Fire Chief Garcia in 2010 he was the highest paid employee in the City of Waveland at just over $60,000.
You are absolutely correct, and the aldermen raised their pay a few hundred a month....BUT those raises were rescinded (taken back) a meeting or so later, I think the same meeting the police department was saved from being contracted to the county. Go back and check the minutes.
Tijuana

Canton, MS

#18 Sep 13, 2013
WavelandProud wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely correct, and the aldermen raised their pay a few hundred a month....BUT those raises were rescinded (taken back) a meeting or so later, I think the same meeting the police department was saved from being contracted to the county. Go back and check the minutes.
A M E N!!!!!!!! And hats off!!!
annexed

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#19 Sep 14, 2013
WavelandProud wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately I do not have the minutes to Waveland meeting and I couldn't find them on the City of Waveland website but I believe you statement is almost completely correct.

The Waveland Alderman did get a raise during the 2010-2014 term, but during Operation 'Save' Waveland the Alderman willingly suspended their pay not just their raises.

The reason that the Board of Aldermen and Mayor didn't contract patrol duties with the Hancock County Sheriff Department was because contracting with the Sheriff Department would have been more expensive than just keeping the Waveland Police Department. The Waveland Police Department was not saved, they just work cheaper than the Sheriff Department.

Can you go back and check your minutes and tell me if the Mayor suspended his pay during Operation 'Save' Waveland? Let me know when you find the answer and come up with an excuse.
WavelandProud

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#20 Sep 14, 2013
annexed wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately I do not have the minutes to Waveland meeting and I couldn't find them on the City of Waveland website but I believe you statement is almost completely correct.
The Waveland Alderman did get a raise during the 2010-2014 term, but during Operation 'Save' Waveland the Alderman willingly suspended their pay not just their raises.
The reason that the Board of Aldermen and Mayor didn't contract patrol duties with the Hancock County Sheriff Department was because contracting with the Sheriff Department would have been more expensive than just keeping the Waveland Police Department. The Waveland Police Department was not saved, they just work cheaper than the Sheriff Department.Can you go back and check your minutes and tell me if the Mayor suspended his pay during Operation 'Save' Waveland? Let me know when you find the answer and come up with an excuse.
I do not need the minutes...I was there....Instead of getting my info though the grapevine I go to the meetings. And, you're correct the police department did work cheaper than the SO, by about 30k. Say what you will about the Mayor and board of Waveland; like any governing body, I disagree with many decisions they make but they are clearly putting Waveland first and attempting to fix, as quickly as they can, what took years to screw up.
Anonymous

Bay Saint Louis, MS

#21 Sep 17, 2013
I am one of the unlucky people that purchased a camp in Hancock County but now live in Waveland. All Waveland gets from me is my $1200 of property tax a year, some retail tax every now and then and my plea for change at the top. I would love to be involved with Waveland politics but unfortunately I can't vote in Waveland and I only come over there on the occasional weekend and vacation.

What pains me is the fact that Waveland taxes me to operate the city, but Waveland will not invest the money in improving Waveland. The city hires the bare minimum number of employees and gives the residents just enough services so they will not complain too much then PUTS THE REST OF THE MONEY IN THE BANK. If Waveland is not going to use my money on beautification, building a community pool, a city boat ramp, or even giving the good employees raises than I would like to have my money back.

I really don't have a problem paying taxes, I have a problem with the way that my taxes are/aren't being used. All Waveland taxpayers need to take a look at the budget online. It seems that the only thing that gets money in the City of Waveland is the MayorÂ’s Office and the library. The most shocking think about the budget is that the Board of Alderman accepted it. I know that my Alderman tries because I meet him when he was driving around after the hurricane last year in my neighborhood checking on everyone, but I am appalled that he didn't have the sensed to question the budget.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bishop Morin 'graduating' with St. Stanislaus' ... Sun Phil 2
News Bay official pleads 'no contest' to DUI charge May 26 Tired of Cronies 1
Gulf Grove Apartments, Waveland, Mississippi (Apr '12) May 4 un happy renter 44
News Victims in I-59 wreck identified (Jun '07) May 3 Fan of Gunner and... 84
Locals May 3 IBelieve 1
Johnny Nugent Apr '16 hill billy 1
News Youth Court judge taken from bench (Oct '08) Apr '16 Hit by the gavel 61
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waveland Mortgages