Bay St. Louis leaders look back nine ...

Bay St. Louis leaders look back nine years to Katrina

There are 1 comment on the WLOX-TV Biloxi story from Aug 28, 2014, titled Bay St. Louis leaders look back nine years to Katrina. In it, WLOX-TV Biloxi reports that:

Nine years after Hurricane Katrina, the scars of her wrath are still evident all over the city, but so are the signs of progress.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLOX-TV Biloxi.

coast person

Show Low, AZ

#1 Aug 30, 2014
I was born and raised on the Gulf Coast but I think a lot of people will secretly agree w/me that the coast itself has fundamentally changed. The people who have left were here for most of the last 30 ro 40 yrs and the coast's culture has fundamentally changed.

As we've seen from the recent tax hikes in Hancock County, Biloxi, Ocean Springs and elsewhere -- the local govts are getting more money-grubbing -- the small town feel the coast used to have and the feeling of community we had is going away. A lot of the people left and now that the Katrina and oil spill cash is drying up local govts are having to raise taxes on working and poor people to pay for their crazy-expensive schools and stadiums and govt buildings they built with FEMA or BP money...

The people who came in -- too many transient hispanics who are just here for the work they can poach from the native people here -- those and the people who came in from the northern part of the state seeking work because the economy is even worse up there....

The care free, laid back sorta party culture we had before the hurricane is gone for good and not coming back. If I had the funds, I'd leave to either Georgia or Texas. Many of the other people here would do the same but can't leave because they hae no guaranteed job or because they have family or investments here(like a business) that they don't want to give up.

Sadly I think the local govts are going to get worse -- they'll hike taxes and utilities to pay for sh*t they dont' need. The "consultant" the Bay hired the other week said that the city could go bankrupt if things don't improve.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waveland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dry county moonshine Nov 30 badtaste 1
Coach Browder (Oct '12) Nov 20 Bobcat 3
News Man dies in motorcycle accident in Waveland Nov '16 Bad Boy 1
News Wanted: BP-funded projects that will last decades Oct '16 Mark fat boy 1
Gulf Grove Apartments, Waveland, Mississippi (Apr '12) Oct '16 Dissatisfied 46
News Fireman making most of second chance Oct '16 Fed Up 1
Bay woman sued in alleged assault case (Jan '12) Sep '16 Bsl101 7

Waveland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance