Town Wants To Make Speaking Spanish i...

Town Wants To Make Speaking Spanish illegal

There are 55 comments on the Wfmynews2.com story from Jul 24, 2006, titled Town Wants To Make Speaking Spanish illegal. In it, Wfmynews2.com reports that:

Congress has been talking a lot about illegal immigrants recently but a small city in Highlands County wants to do something now.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wfmynews2.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
coos bay

Anaheim, CA

#47 Jan 13, 2007
Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
Buenas dias mi amigos y amigas! Como vai contigo? Esta mucho calor hoy en Tennessee. Bien fim de semana......y'all!
Its colder than the shady side of a witches t**.
james

Warthen, GA

#48 Feb 25, 2007
I think spanish is great. My problem with the illegals is their driving. Why do they have to pull out in front of me every time im in the barrio? Cant they wait 2 seconds for me to pass or did they get their drivers license from the same place as their social security cards?
Im all for someone being here legally. And the USA is already bilingual. Does Los Angeles or El Paso sound English? The illegals here are treated really well. An unskilled American going to Mexico looking for work illegally would likely end up much worse. After a massive population boom Mexico is now exporting its humanitarian crisis to the US. The illegals are evacuating a slave wage economy. Mexico benefits by having US dollars pumping back to Mexico. So a liability is turned into an asset.
Of course there are advantages to having cheap labor for the US however most statistics Ive seen indicate that the illegals are a net fiscal burden.
I believe Americans should all study spanish. As for me Im currently studying Chinese.
Los illegales deben volver a mexico para venir otra vez aqui legalmente. Pienses que puedes entrar aqui contra nuestras leyes y recibir amistad?
Methinks

Carrizo Springs, TX

#49 Feb 27, 2007
HEY - THERE ARE 28 LANGUAGES SPOKEN IN THE U.S. AND THE MEXICANS SPEAKING SPANISH ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES NOR ARE THEY THEY ONLY ILLEGALS. LOOK AT THE CANADIAN BORDER AND FLORIDA THAT ARE WIDE OPEN AND WHICH TERRORISTS HAVE USED TO ENTER U.S. SO, LETS GO AFTER ALL ILLEGALS BUT DO NOT FORGET THE CANADIAN BORDER AND FLORIDA. COMNE TO THINK OF IT, DON'T FORGET THE SHIPS COMING IN FROM ASIA ALSO CARRYING NON ENGLISH SPEAKING ILLEGALS. THEN OF COURSE, YOU ALSO HAVE THE HILL BILLIES WHO ONLY THINK THEY SPEAK ENGLISH.
Mary Kay Stone wrote:
Personally, I have nothing against the Mexican people. I like their culture and the people themselves.
I've never had any problems with any of them for all these years.
I would like for them to be equal by becoming legal. I want them to share our American benefits, I want them to become American citizens. If the companies in this town or any other town, would strive to assist the illegals to go through the process of becoming either documented workers or citizens, that would be great. The only negative thing about anyone being illegal here is that they don't pay any taxes to help with the medical, school system. I believe that the large companies should provide residences, and pay for their medical care for their workers. I don't like the idea of any illegals of any race or culture, to come to the USA expecting to give birth to their offspring, to automatically become an American citizen.

Somerset, KY

#50 Mar 16, 2007
james wrote:
I believe Americans should all study spanish. As for me Im currently studying Chinese.
Los illegales deben volver a mexico para venir otra vez aqui legalmente. Pienses que puedes entrar aqui contra nuestras leyes y recibir amistad?
I'd have no problem trying to learn it if there was an 'established spanish language' across the board instead of 20 freaking variations of it. One word in Mexico might be fine while that same word may get your face slapped in Argentina while in Chile it may mean something altogether different. Talk about fragmented.
john bolduc

United States

#51 Apr 16, 2007
there is people from europe an the world trying to come here.why does it have to be spanish people crossing our border.let stop it an ship them back out.we don't want anyone who is not legal,no matter where they are from.
eva

Arkadelphia, AR

#52 May 5, 2007
Gee....I think most should learn to speak spanish...probably not that hard...We all might be better off for the learning...I think the U.S. is behind other countries in education anyway...Many illegal immigrants are probably paying taxes and the ones hiring them are not paying the taxes in...Another thing...I seen some people out holding signs to vote against amnesty..come noon time or so they were outta there...gettin hot ya know...migrants work in that and are not paid enough....the rich are richer and the poor are poorer....There needs to be some cost of living adjustments made....business owners should consider more the health care, housing, and retirement for all workers illegal or not...
Luis Sypher

Riverbank, CA

#53 May 11, 2007
Notice how the posts in Spanish are just discounted here. No one responds to them. Thats how it should me in America. You speak Spanish only, you should be discounted as well.
These post in Spanish are only left to rub in our faces that they can do anything they want in the U.S.
The woman with the illegal husband. Hope he is deported within a week.
RICHARD RATLIFF

Newport, KY

#54 May 13, 2007
IT'S VERY UNFORTUNATE WE HAVE LOST OUR OWN IDENTITY. OVER THE LAST 231 YEARS AMERICAN HAS STOOD TALL WITH OPEN ARMS. WILLING TO TAKE IN ALL THAT CAME TO HER SHORES. WE ARE WILLING TO BE ALL THINGS TO ALL PEOPLES, EXCEPT A TEACHER. WE ARE FAILING TO TEACH OUR NEW FAMILY MEMBERS WHO WE ARE, AND THE PRINCIPALS THAT MAKE US GREAT. BUT HOW CAN WE TEACH THEM IF WE CAN'T COMMUNICATE. YES "ENGLISH ONLY" IS WHAT CONNECTS US TOGETHER AS ONE.
Flagman

Dearborn, MI

#55 May 14, 2007
"When in Rome...Do as the Romans do"
If illegals think America is the land of opportunity, then why not make it their homes...Legally??
Because the Polititions have made it not only improbable, but next to immposible to become a citizen...this was not the case several decades ago when our original ancestors came over from war torn europe, or the far east by the droves in the 1940's, and it shouldn't be now...
Instead of immigration reforms, we,the leagal citizens, should deluge our elected officals to reform the laws pertaining to becoming a citizen..so there would be less incentives for people to "sneak" into the U.S., and more incentives for people to become actual citizens of this wonderful country.
Luis Sypher

Riverbank, CA

#56 May 14, 2007
Rather than making it illegal to speak Spanish, why don't we make it illegal to be illegal?
some1 who cares

Venus, FL

#57 May 15, 2007
Honsetly I would rather want anyone that comes to our homeland speaking our lang. but you also have to think that when we go to their country and we can not speak their lang. they think the samething that we all Americans do,'Why don't they learn our lang.' And another thing. We say that this country so so right and that anyone that comes here should have the right as we do but in the back of our minds we really don't. some of ya'll have the right ideal that they all should come here like others do and become legal but when they are at their home country and wanting a better life for themselves they don't have the resources like we do. They hear from their families from here that are legal and they all hear about how great our country is and they don't really have to worry about the things that they do have to worry about there. But if you stop and think for a second. All of us are here illegally. Whites came here from another country and took over the lands and killed alot of indians. We did not try to learn their lang. we forced them to learn ours and our believes. So think about that next time you say something about something else
Jason Sodellia

San Antonio, TX

#58 Jun 28, 2007
In response to your posting. It is obvious that you are uneducated and speaking from ignorance. last year the mexican (illegals) contributed 15 billion to the federal Government. Less than half was payed out in benifits.It is not up to corporate America to lobby for legalization that is an individual task.Congress knows that the only reason the US is still a super power is because of the influx of cheap labor. if all allegals were to be gathered and be deported the American economy would crash. i suggest you take an entry level economics course.
Mary Kay Stone wrote:
Personally, I have nothing against the Mexican people. I like their culture and the people themselves.
I've never had any problems with any of them for all these years.
I would like for them to be equal by becoming legal. I want them to share our American benefits, I want them to become American citizens. If the companies in this town or any other town, would strive to assist the illegals to go through the process of becoming either documented workers or citizens, that would be great. The only negative thing about anyone being illegal here is that they don't pay any taxes to help with the medical, school system. I believe that the large companies should provide residences, and pay for their medical care for their workers. I don't like the idea of any illegals of any race or culture, to come to the USA expecting to give birth to their offspring, to automatically become an American citizen.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#59 Jun 28, 2007
Making speaking Spanish illegal has been tried in different work places. Why not concentrate on making it illegal to be illegal as another poster commented. I guess we're going to have to rename many states and towns named in Spanish and remove Spanish names from food labels and menus. I wouldn't want the speech police to arrest me while I'm ordering food.
Cathy

United States

#60 Jul 8, 2007
(1) As stated in many previous comments, we need to emphasize that "illegal" means just that. When a foreigner wants to make the USA their home, they need to come here through legal means. The US has always welcomed immigrants coming to this country in this manner.(2) As far as claiming other languages should be recognized as "official" languages of this country, this country is the USA; it it not Mexico, Spain, France, Germany, China, etc. English is the offcial language and that should not change; it is something primary to the cohesiveness of this country. However, should a specific neighborhood need to have printed material translated, this should not pose a problem.(3) Also, it was pointed out that when Americans go to foreign countries, they don't necessarily speak the language of that country. However, the comparison of Americans visiting a country to legal or illegal immigrants is not comparable. A visitor is not the same as a resident (legal or otherwise).

Since: Jul 07

Snowflake ,AZ

#61 Jul 8, 2007
eva wrote:
Gee....I think most should learn to speak spanish...probably not that hard...We all might be better off for the learning...I think the U.S. is behind other countries in education anyway...Many illegal immigrants are probably paying taxes and the ones hiring them are not paying the taxes in...Another thing...I seen some people out holding signs to vote against amnesty..come noon time or so they were outta there...gettin hot ya know...migrants work in that and are not paid enough....the rich are richer and the poor are poorer....There needs to be some cost of living adjustments made....business owners should consider more the health care, housing, and retirement for all workers illegal or not...
Yes, some illegals pay taxes just look at my 8 year old niece until we caught it around 6 months ago she was making pretty good money for her age.
Let's have everyone of Germanic descent speak just German and see what happens. Get real to become a citizen they would have to have a good working knowledge of English. They don't want to. WHY should I HAVE to. I know the language of the country I'm in IF for some strange reason(like being held at gunpoint)I had to go to their country I would try to learn the language.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wauchula Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pj sutton (Feb '17) Jul 23 Pedo judges 2
Miller family (Sep '10) Jul '17 anonymous 5
Murder Article Jun '17 Dougs Friend 2
Lake Placid Crime (Mar '15) Jun '17 Bass 3
Zolfo Springs Music Thread (Oct '16) Apr '17 Musikologist 2
David miller Apr '17 Polo 1
Lost relatives (Mar '09) Feb '17 Cheryl Ryan 2

Wauchula Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance