Town Wants To Make Speaking Spanish i...

Town Wants To Make Speaking Spanish illegal

There are 55 comments on the Wfmynews2.com story from Jul 24, 2006, titled Town Wants To Make Speaking Spanish illegal. In it, Wfmynews2.com reports that:

Congress has been talking a lot about illegal immigrants recently but a small city in Highlands County wants to do something now.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wfmynews2.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mary Kay Stone

United States

#1 Jul 24, 2006
Personally, I have nothing against the Mexican people. I like their culture and the people themselves.
I've never had any problems with any of them for all these years.
I would like for them to be equal by becoming legal. I want them to share our American benefits, I want them to become American citizens. If the companies in this town or any other town, would strive to assist the illegals to go through the process of becoming either documented workers or citizens, that would be great. The only negative thing about anyone being illegal here is that they don't pay any taxes to help with the medical, school system. I believe that the large companies should provide residences, and pay for their medical care for their workers. I don't like the idea of any illegals of any race or culture, to come to the USA expecting to give birth to their offspring, to automatically become an American citizen.

Retired2005

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Jul 24, 2006
I agree that large corporations should provide medical insurance as part of a benefit package. No company, however, should be expected to provide housing for their employees unless the corporate operation is in a remote area not normally serviced by public utilities, housing, etc.

Companies should not only be barred from hiring illegals, providing them with assistance and aid in any guise, but they should be heavily penalized for doing so.

Illegals should be deported and refused the opportunity for legal entry based on the fact they entered this country illegally. There are far too many people waiting in line for legal entry to allow illegals any chance to enter this country again.

As for banning the speaking of Spanish, that is about the stupidest thing I've heard of in this country. How can you make speaking a language illegal when the Federal government requires government forms, documents and instructions be bi-lingual?

Having multi-language documents, forms, applications and instructions is detrimental to assimulation of immigrants into our core culture and should be discontinued.
Olga Rubio

United States

#3 Jul 25, 2006
Racist some?
Retired2005 wrote:
I agree that large corporations should provide medical insurance as part of a benefit package. No company, however, should be expected to provide housing for their employees unless the corporate operation is in a remote area not normally serviced by public utilities, housing, etc.
Companies should not only be barred from hiring illegals, providing them with assistance and aid in any guise, but they should be heavily penalized for doing so.
Illegals should be deported and refused the opportunity for legal entry based on the fact they entered this country illegally. There are far too many people waiting in line for legal entry to allow illegals any chance to enter this country again.
As for banning the speaking of Spanish, that is about the stupidest thing I've heard of in this country. How can you make speaking a language illegal when the Federal government requires government forms, documents and instructions be bi-lingual?
Having multi-language documents, forms, applications and instructions is detrimental to assimulation of immigrants into our core culture and should be discontinued.
Olga Rubio

United States

#4 Jul 25, 2006
I agree that the immigrants that are here should be made legal and pay taxes just as you and I do. But, I think the problem is with the our goverment. They have been laxed in border patrol and have let this problem escalate to its current state. You think after 911 that they would have done what they should have done years and financed and implemented a real border patrol plan. There are still people coming here on a daily basis and until address those issues then we will not be safe. So my issue is not with the immigrants but the unsafe way in which we live and how it doesn't really mean anything to anyone in this country. Apparently morals and beliefs is more important then the saftey of this great nation. Because if you think you are safe then you are one very ignorant person.
Mary Kay Stone wrote:
Personally, I have nothing against the Mexican people. I like their culture and the people themselves.
I've never had any problems with any of them for all these years.
I would like for them to be equal by becoming legal. I want them to share our American benefits, I want them to become American citizens. If the companies in this town or any other town, would strive to assist the illegals to go through the process of becoming either documented workers or citizens, that would be great. The only negative thing about anyone being illegal here is that they don't pay any taxes to help with the medical, school system. I believe that the large companies should provide residences, and pay for their medical care for their workers. I don't like the idea of any illegals of any race or culture, to come to the USA expecting to give birth to their offspring, to automatically become an American citizen.
Retired2005

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Jul 25, 2006
Olga Rubio wrote:
Racist some?
<quoted text>
Not at all......... just tired of people sneaking into this country and trying to make it a mirror image of the place they left behind.

I welcome LEGAL immigrants that wish to assimilate into our culture, not those that would replace it with the one they felt compelled to flee.

The movement to destroy the commonality of our culture and sanctity of our nation is what has put us where we are today.... soaring welfare, high crime rates, over crowded prisons and a population with 12 million illegals.
Jordan

Fort Myers, FL

#6 Jul 27, 2006
I disagree with some of the previous statements about the native language. I feel the Mexican people should be speaking in the English tongue and not their own because they are not living in Mexico. There is nothing for them to hide to continue to want to speak in a foreign language. America is not Mexico. To add to it, I want all illegal Mexicans out of my town and back in Mexico where they belong until they pass to become an American citizen. It is not right for them to live here and not pay taxes, and our taxes pay for the births of their children in hospitals.
Give illegals the boot!
Illegals

Tullahoma, TN

#7 Aug 28, 2006
Hey,
I'm a chinese and here illegal. Why cant we have chinese(Mandarin) as a legal language?
hotsexymama

Venice, FL

#9 Aug 28, 2006
well think what u what u whant to think but have u thought about when other people go to mexico and can not speak spanish and they speak english the mexican dont say speak english and if it wasnt for the
Vee

AOL

#12 Aug 29, 2006
Since New York is a melting pot and has every single race and nationality, you cannot just ban the Spanish language. You have to ban ALL languages except English. It would not be considered equality to ban just one language. Personally though, I do get tired of hearing all the foreign languages spoken in supermarkets when they are in groups.I wonder what they are conspiring to do, if they do not want others to know what they are saying. If you want to be here and you do not speak English then learn it. You do not get to take advantage of our jobs, our food, our medical insurance, and NOT bother to learn English. We are a country of neighborly love we open our portals to you but it should be mandatory that you must SPEAK ENGLISH or GET OUT.Hot sexy mama (if I can become a momentary interpreter) was saying that, we, the English speaking, can take a trip to Mexico and speak English, and the Mexicans would not tell us to speak Spanish. Maybe so. But we are NOT moving to Mexico and making that our permanent home. If one was to do so we would learn the language. Hot Sexy mama never finished her preamble because it was probably time for her siesta.
A girl from the AP

United States

#13 Aug 30, 2006
This is more than a "there goes the neighborhood" scenario. What must people you are not quite appreciating is that the natives of Avon Park, families who have been there for generations, are feeling some pressure to change their lifestyle to accommodate the newcomers. Avon Park has always attempted to embrace its cultural diversity, but never has it been forced to do so. But seemingly overnight, the Hispanic community has become the majority in the public school population alone. A lot of families, and I am including legal immigrants, are transplants from Miami after hurricanes claimed their homes, businesses, schools, etc. in recent years, have moved into the towns of Avon Park and Sebring only to dominate the black, white, Asian, and Arabic communities. Resulting in a huge increase of "Spanish Speaking Only" students in the public schools. Some business owners and/or employees only speak Spanish. I am pleased that Miami, over decades and decades, has embraced the Spanish language, but forcing a small town to do so within a two years span is just not acceptable. It is hard to make any type of statement for this cause without sounding prejudice or sound as though I am dismissing a group of people solely based on the language barrier, but try to put yourself in citizens of Avon Park's shoes. I believe that the mayor's failed attempt to force English only was his way to regain control of what appears to be an out of control population growth and what could be described by some as a hostile take over.
A girl from the AP

United States

#14 Aug 30, 2006
A girl from the AP wrote:
This is more than a "there goes the neighborhood" scenario. What must people you are not quite appreciating is that the natives of Avon Park, families who have been there for generations, are feeling some pressure to change their lifestyle to accommodate the newcomers. Avon Park has always attempted to embrace its cultural diversity, but never has it been forced to do so. But seemingly overnight, the Hispanic community has become the majority in the public school population alone. A lot of families, and I am including legal immigrants, are transplants from Miami after hurricanes claimed their homes, businesses, schools, etc. in recent years, have moved into the towns of Avon Park and Sebring only to dominate the black, white, Asian, and Arabic communities. Resulting in a huge increase of "Spanish Speaking Only" students in the public schools. Some business owners and/or employees only speak Spanish. I am pleased that Miami, over decades and decades, has embraced the Spanish language, but forcing a small town to do so within a two years span is just not acceptable. It is hard to make any type of statement for this cause without sounding prejudice or sound as though I am dismissing a group of people solely based on the language barrier, but try to put yourself in citizens of Avon Park's shoes. I believe that the mayor's failed attempt to force English only was his way to regain control of what appears to be an out of control population growth and what could be described by some as a hostile take over.
I apologize for my typos. Proofreading has never been my strength.
Julia V

Arlington Heights, IL

#17 Sep 1, 2006
You have to keep in mind that it's not ONLY Mexican/Hispanic people that are coming here illegally. I personally know of a handful of Irish and Polish women who came to work here without proper papers. I seems that in the case of this podunk town in Florida, it's definitely a race/culture issue. I am an American and I am ashamed at the ignorance that prevails here. People need to get out more often and travel, learn and be curious, not skeptical!
Julia V

Arlington Heights, IL

#18 Sep 1, 2006
This posting is IGNORANT AND SIMPLE MINDED. Have you ever been outside of your block? Try traveling and maybe you'll be a little bit more open-minded. You must lead a sad,boring, sheltered life.
Wilson

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#20 Sep 1, 2006
Julia V wrote:
This posting is IGNORANT AND SIMPLE MINDED. Have you ever been outside of your block? Try traveling and maybe you'll be a little bit more open-minded. You must lead a sad,boring, sheltered life.
So let me see if I understand you. If one travels then they will be more likely to accept people who break the law. NOT!
franko

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#21 Sep 1, 2006
Illegals wrote:
Hey,
I'm a chinese and here illegal. Why cant we have chinese(Mandarin) as a legal language?
IF something like 100 milion poeel in the USA spoke chinese I am sure it would be considered. BUt probably less than 5 milion do. It makes no sense to make such a minor language as an official language.

DOes anyone know how many people in the USA speak Spanish?
franko

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#22 Sep 1, 2006
We have similar problems here in Canada, and a lot of it has to do with the fact that so many poeple come over that are not in a position to work because they don't speak the main langauge of the country well enough. In Vancouver, about 35% of the population speaks either CHINESE or East indian as their main language (probably 10% speak barely passable english, and about 5% don't at all). In some areas more than 50% are from these backgrounds. They have their own malls and shopping districts where, if a caucasian goes to shop, they wil pay double the price as their own (there was a newspaper report where they confirmed this).

There are farms and construction companies who hire these poeple and house them and pay them a pittance and work outside the system.

When I moved into the house I bought 17 years ago, there were 7 adults and 4 children living in the house. 3 adults worked, 2 were the grandparents (did not work), and 2 were receiving welfare cheques.

NOt that I am against anyone from any nationality .. many of my closest friends have been of different racial backgrounds .. but this all puts stress on a system and causes the working poeple to carry more than their fair share of the load. I feel the same about caucasians who also live off the system.

The system also works against immigrants .. there are many poeple I know from India and CHina that have university education and had management jobs and when they come here they end up working as cashiers and delivery drivers and go to night school to get Canadian certificaitons.

In my opinion, no one should be allowed to immigrate until there is some assurance that they will be contributing members of society. If that means almost zero immigaration, that's OK. Many other countries of the world have zero immigration and they do just fine.
Jeannie G

Midland, TX

#23 Sep 1, 2006
franko wrote:
We have similar problems here in Canada, and a lot of it has to do with the fact that so many poeple come over that are not in a position to work because they don't speak the main langauge of the country well enough. In Vancouver, about 35% of the population speaks either CHINESE or East indian as their main language (probably 10% speak barely passable english, and about 5% don't at all). In some areas more than 50% are from these backgrounds. They have their own malls and shopping districts where, if a caucasian goes to shop, they wil pay double the price as their own (there was a newspaper report where they confirmed this).
There are farms and construction companies who hire these poeple and house them and pay them a pittance and work outside the system.
When I moved into the house I bought 17 years ago, there were 7 adults and 4 children living in the house. 3 adults worked, 2 were the grandparents (did not work), and 2 were receiving welfare cheques.
NOt that I am against anyone from any nationality .. many of my closest friends have been of different racial backgrounds .. but this all puts stress on a system and causes the working poeple to carry more than their fair share of the load. I feel the same about caucasians who also live off the system.
The system also works against immigrants .. there are many poeple I know from India and CHina that have university education and had management jobs and when they come here they end up working as cashiers and delivery drivers and go to night school to get Canadian certificaitons.
In my opinion, no one should be allowed to immigrate until there is some assurance that they will be contributing members of society. If that means almost zero immigaration, that's OK. Many other countries of the world have zero immigration and they do just fine.
I feel this is the post you thought you lost and I see it just fine. Thanks for your opinion because all we look at here are different ethnic groups and everyone has to work to eat and pay bills but they need to pay their taxes, too. If over 99% of the American population check out their family trees they will find their families also came from other countries..mine were from Ireland and Germany and my great-great-great grandfather was a full blooded Cherokee indian..I am a blonde with blue eyes and very high cheek bones..talk about mixed up! It is in all of us if we would take time to check. Just be proud of who you are and not what you are..I love me just the way I am..smiles!!
franko

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#24 Sep 2, 2006
Jeannie G wrote:
<quoted text>I feel this is the post you thought you lost and I see it just fine. Thanks for your opinion because all we look at here are different ethnic groups and everyone has to work to eat and pay bills but they need to pay their taxes, too. If over 99% of the American population check out their family trees they will find their families also came from other countries..mine were from Ireland and Germany and my great-great-great grandfather was a full blooded Cherokee indian..I am a blonde with blue eyes and very high cheek bones..talk about mixed up! It is in all of us if we would take time to check. Just be proud of who you are and not what you are..I love me just the way I am..smiles!!
Yep. My Dad was born in Croatia, my Mom in Germany. Further back my Dad's fmaily tree was in France....

My point has more to do with the management of the situation so that it makes economic sense and does not create hardship for others.
Jason Lillo

AOL

#25 Sep 9, 2006
Retired2005 wrote:
I really disagree with what you have to say.
a friend of all people

United States

#26 Sep 19, 2006
I do undertand that there is alot of illegal immigrants who do not pay taxes but most of the illegals do pay taxes and the federal govt assigns taxpayer identification numbers to all illegals to be able to pay taxes just like any other residents of the United States. As for the thought about the Spanish language being illegal i beleive is the most ignorant thing i have ever heard. If speaking Spanish is a crime because it is not english, then all other languges should also be illegal such as french, Italian, etc.
"Who said english was the first language in this land?"
Correct me if i am wrong but was it not the native americans "indians" who were here first? It just makes me wonder if we as a community even understand the true meaning of the word inmigrant.

I do not wish to insult anyone but if you ever go to another country i beleive the people will not only try to speak to you ion english but will treat you with respect.

In conclusion humans usualy are afraid of the unknown and it seems to me that we really do not know alot about the inmigrant people but just to clarify a point to all the people that do not know not all illegal inmigrants are not just hispanics and by making only the spanish language illegal shows ignorance in the United States population.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wauchula Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ripped off by crooked chaneys (Nov '09) Jun 12 Grove monkey 11
DEADBEAT DAD ALERT AND RACISM the crowls (Jan '13) Jun 8 Quan 4
News Bubbles forgotten by Michael Jackson's family (Dec '12) May '16 Elvis Presley Fan 16
Debate: Marijuana - Avon Park, FL (Aug '10) Apr '16 Maria 9
Bacherolette party Feb '16 Earl ee Times 2
News How did Amber Woods die? (Mar '08) Aug '15 Ambers Cousin 16
News Florida gyrocopter pilot returns to Florida, aw... (Apr '15) Apr '15 SpaceBlues 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wauchula Mortgages