First Prev
of 4
Next Last
irritated beyond belief

Charleston, IL

#1 Dec 2, 2010
Alright, I am not sure where to start, this is lengthy. I went into Illiana Tek a couple years ago for a simple memory upgrade on my computer, they did it. A few days later my computer stopped working properly, so I take it back to them and they told me that the power supply was unable to operate correctly with the upgrade I recently had done, so I paid for that to be changed. After that, it was the motherboard, list goes on...By the time I was finished replacing all the stuff that went wrong with my "simple" memory upgrade all I had to buy was the box and the CD hardware, so I bought them two things and I had a new computer. So I do give them credit for letting me have free labor for them putting all the hardware from one box to the other since ALL my problems started with their memory upgrade. And since I bought a computer from them I was also given a two year warranty with it. Well, since then I have had more issues with them as well. For an example, I was on my computer and come to find out I did not have a "registered" copy of windows, which means I got a black market" version of it. Another issue I have been battling with them on is the video card, it goes out about every six months. The last time I took it in there for the video card going out, which was recent, they charged me to fix it even though its under warranty still! I was furious!! They admitted to me that this piece of hardware is still under not only their warranty but the manufactures warranty as well, but insisted that I was not paying for the video card itself I was paying to have the broken one shipped back to the manufacturer. Where in the world is this place located if it costs that much to ship? However, the story doesn't end there...After talking to them on the phone I called a family memeber so they could put the payment on their CC since I do not usually get a recipt. They told her the charge was for cleaning the inside of the computer, getting the dust out. So she had paid it by the time I got there, well, when I got there the owner (Kyle) comes to the front to talk to me and tells me the fan on the video card went out due to humidity in my computer and it warped the little fan blades (they are plastic)...so by this time I heard THREE different excuses as to why I been charged!!!!!! But after all this he flat out refused to give me back my computer! I literally had to get the police on the phone for him to bring it out. My questions are, am I in the wrong for being mad? Anyone else had an expierence like this with this company? Should I contact someone about this problem?
luuthur

United States

#2 Dec 2, 2010
irritated beyond belief wrote:
Alright, I am not sure where to start, this is lengthy. I went into Illiana Tek a couple years ago for a simple memory upgrade on my computer, they did it. A few days later my computer stopped working properly, so I take it back to them and they told me that the power supply was unable to operate correctly with the upgrade I recently had done, so I paid for that to be changed. After that, it was the motherboard, list goes on...By the time I was finished replacing all the stuff that went wrong with my "simple" memory upgrade all I had to buy was the box and the CD hardware, so I bought them two things and I had a new computer. So I do give them credit for letting me have free labor for them putting all the hardware from one box to the other since ALL my problems started with their memory upgrade. And since I bought a computer from them I was also given a two year warranty with it. Well, since then I have had more issues with them as well. For an example, I was on my computer and come to find out I did not have a "registered" copy of windows, which means I got a black market" version of it. Another issue I have been battling with them on is the video card, it goes out about every six months. The last time I took it in there for the video card going out, which was recent, they charged me to fix it even though its under warranty still! I was furious!! They admitted to me that this piece of hardware is still under not only their warranty but the manufactures warranty as well, but insisted that I was not paying for the video card itself I was paying to have the broken one shipped back to the manufacturer. Where in the world is this place located if it costs that much to ship? However, the story doesn't end there...After talking to them on the phone I called a family memeber so they could put the payment on their CC since I do not usually get a recipt. They told her the charge was for cleaning the inside of the computer, getting the dust out. So she had paid it by the time I got there, well, when I got there the owner (Kyle) comes to the front to talk to me and tells me the fan on the video card went out due to humidity in my computer and it warped the little fan blades (they are plastic)...so by this time I heard THREE different excuses as to why I been charged!!!!!! But after all this he flat out refused to give me back my computer! I literally had to get the police on the phone for him to bring it out. My questions are, am I in the wrong for being mad? Anyone else had an expierence like this with this company? Should I contact someone about this problem?
Well I personally build my own so a "shop" I would avoid. Secondly I would call BBB and report their lack of professionalism. I would also check their qualifications. Are any of the techs Certified, A+ and the likes.
OMG

United States

#3 Dec 2, 2010
I too have had issues with Illiana Tek. I had them build me a laptop to my specifications and I paid dearly for it. They installed the black market version of Microsoft Word, which if I remember correctly, I paid for. They installed an anti-virus program that didn't catch several things which in turn made my computer get locked up to where I couldn't even get on the internet. This happened 3x within a year and of course isn't covered by warranty, so I spent another small fortune getting those taken care of. The last time I took it in, I called to see if it was ready and was told it was, so I went and picked it up. I got it home, set it up, and the blasted thing was no better than when I took it in. I immediately called them and told them about it and was told to bring it back. Mind you, it's almost an hour EACH WAY, but I took it back AGAIN. When I got there, I was informed that the person that told me to pick it up was mis-informed and had been told about it. Not quite sure what he meant by "told about it, but anyway... when it was finally ready to pick up, I went and got it. After I got it home I couldn't figure out why none of my passwords and auto-fills were there anymore. I'm the only one that touches my computer so there's no reason to use that feature so I don't have to try and remember everything for every different account. Then, to top it all of, I went to play a CD about a week later and found the Vista disc in it. They had completely wiped my computer out and re-loaded the whole OS. I was so p*ssed I couldn't hardly see straight... anyway - long story I know, but just trying to give you the full details. They're crooked as can be and I wish I had never bought from them, because they do things without telling you and charge WAY too much to do it. Because of the lousy anti-virus they installed, I've spent almost as much in repairs as the computer cost me in the first place. They don't stand behind the programs they install and charge about a 500% mark-up on parts and $75/hr for labor.
New

Chicago, IL

#4 Dec 2, 2010
Theres another computer shop that is better that will be going full time within a few weeks. I'm sure there will be an ad in the newspaper (times republic) advertising the buisness. And this computer shop wont continually say somethings wrong when its not.
irritated beyond belief

Charleston, IL

#5 Dec 2, 2010
OMG wrote:
I too have had issues with Illiana Tek. I had them build me a laptop to my specifications and I paid dearly for it. They installed the black market version of Microsoft Word, which if I remember correctly, I paid for. They installed an anti-virus program that didn't catch several things which in turn made my computer get locked up to where I couldn't even get on the internet. This happened 3x within a year and of course isn't covered by warranty, so I spent another small fortune getting those taken care of. The last time I took it in, I called to see if it was ready and was told it was, so I went and picked it up. I got it home, set it up, and the blasted thing was no better than when I took it in. I immediately called them and told them about it and was told to bring it back. Mind you, it's almost an hour EACH WAY, but I took it back AGAIN. When I got there, I was informed that the person that told me to pick it up was mis-informed and had been told about it. Not quite sure what he meant by "told about it, but anyway... when it was finally ready to pick up, I went and got it. After I got it home I couldn't figure out why none of my passwords and auto-fills were there anymore. I'm the only one that touches my computer so there's no reason to use that feature so I don't have to try and remember everything for every different account. Then, to top it all of, I went to play a CD about a week later and found the Vista disc in it. They had completely wiped my computer out and re-loaded the whole OS. I was so p*ssed I couldn't hardly see straight... anyway - long story I know, but just trying to give you the full details. They're crooked as can be and I wish I had never bought from them, because they do things without telling you and charge WAY too much to do it. Because of the lousy anti-virus they installed, I've spent almost as much in repairs as the computer cost me in the first place. They don't stand behind the programs they install and charge about a 500% mark-up on parts and $75/hr for labor.
Yea this is rediculous They need to be shut down or at least investigated! Since my problem started around two years ago, I have heard two other people, other than you, say they also got black market versions of software.
RIPPED OFF

Chicago, IL

#6 Dec 6, 2010
I have also had problems with Illiana Tek. I took a computer in to have a problem checked out. Kyle told me it was the Mother Board and it was totally shot. He told me it would cost more to fix than to buy a new computer. He was more than happy to sell me one he had refurbished. When I went in to pick up my new computer from him, he did not want to give me the old one back. I just picked it up and took it. I founf ot why he did not want me to take it-he STOLE the hard drive out of it. My computer was only 14 months old and had an nice hard drive in it. I founf out later that all my computer needed was re-set. When I called Kyle and told him all of this he accused me of lying. I called the police and they said they believed me because they had heard horror stories about his shop. After they talked to him, they told me all a could do was file a civil case against him. Kyle knows he can get away with this, so continues to rip people off. I plan on filing a complaint with the BBB. I would like to file a civil case against him, but I cant prove he stole my hard drive. He needs to be shut down.
irritated beyond belief

Rock Island, IL

#7 Dec 10, 2010
I agree, Kyle the owner is a rip off! I would love to report this to the BBB but I am unsure if I have a problem they handle? I am also unsure of what the BBB can do to them, or for me, I doubt they will give me my money back which is just a load of bull!
irritated beyond belief

Rock Island, IL

#8 Dec 12, 2010
Another question I have is, where IS a good computer repair shop? The only one I know around here is Illiana-Tek.
mee

Menifee, CA

#9 Dec 12, 2010
i would take it to geek squad at best buy. They say to keep your business local but when you get screwed you have to look elsewhere.
concerned citizen

Westville, IL

#10 Jan 8, 2011
if you are having that much problems with Iliana tek next time look on craigslist for someone local that will fix your computer or go up to Best Buy and ask the sales people in the computer area for their opinion.. I work on computers myself, have never had any problems, I will never take my computer to that place. I hear they try to sale used computers for almost the price of a brand new one.
irritated beyond belief

Menifee, CA

#11 Feb 15, 2011
I started this thread at the beginning of December, here it is February and I already had to have another video card put in my computer! This time I took it to a guy in Kankakee, I really liked him, he was from PuterPros. He was really quick, didn't charge much, and my computer is working fine so far! So, I recommend going to that company instead of IllianaTek, I know I will be.
going to take action

Charleston, IL

#12 Feb 15, 2011
Same deal here. I was told it was the mother board. They had the computer on several occasions each time the computer being returned with even more issues than it went there with. Finally Kyle said he would give me a refund. Now they won't even answer the phone. I am planning on taking action because the last time I spoke to him he said he would refund me for work he never completed and guess what... no refund and now not a returned call. I know I called and he answered the phone but said his name was Larry. Oh and get this. I took my completely broken computer which I was charged over $400 to be fixed by Illiana Tek to another shop. They had disconnected all my usb ports thats why they didn't work. and "rewired" other items so they wouldn't work. After the other person had it for 3 days or so he charged me $40 btw... it was returned to my working perfectly with everything plugged back in. Hey Im writing this on it. My husband and I plan to take action. I am amazed at how the same mother board story is coming up on here.
repair

Menifee, CA

#13 Feb 15, 2011
where can I take a laptop to have a fan put in it reasonable?
irritated beyond belief

Menifee, CA

#14 Feb 18, 2011
repair wrote:
where can I take a laptop to have a fan put in it reasonable?

it was suggested in this thread to go to geek squad, but as I said, I went to PuterPros in Kankakee and they did an excellent job!
butterfly

Clifton, IL

#15 Feb 23, 2011
Also try Compu-save on Kinzie Avenue in Bradley. Eric is honest and reasonable. He has always treated us with respect explained what was wrong and his prices are very reasonable.

Since: Dec 10

United States

#16 Feb 24, 2011
I run a computer shop in the back room of McSki's...tuesday and thursday afternoon 1-1:15. Bring it on up there.
must be known

Downers Grove, IL

#17 Feb 24, 2011
umm here's one for ya... If you all know that they are fuking you in the azz, THEN STOP GOING !!!! Go to a different place, hell, take some classes on computers so you can familiarize yourself with them... Or go to a friend that is good with computers.... but if you know a place is screwing you that much... one you can go some where else or two, you can document everything from the beginning of when they started to work on your computer so then you might have a case... says a lot when your going in for a simple and small upgrade, and they end up rebuilding your whole computer...
Major scarmmer

Ashkum, IL

#18 Feb 26, 2011
Don't even get me started on Illiana Tek......everyone has the same issues cuz he is doing it to everyone! Unregistered software...antivirus that he downloaded FREE off the internet (junk!), computer crashes every 6 months, like clockwork! Bought a computer from them for my business and ended up with a $900.00 computer that I can only use to check email! I would love to take it to court, but thats hard to do when you aren't as computer savvy as he is, and don't speak the "language". Just chalked it up to a learning experience, and go to Geek Squad now.
going to take action

Charleston, IL

#19 Feb 27, 2011
I am trying to get a class action lawsuit started. I am talking to Dale Strough. Anyone else on here that has your receipts for the work let me know. We will pick a day and time and meet at the courthouse. Let's get our money back and teach this guy a lesson.
Nad

Peotone, IL

#20 Feb 27, 2011
going to take action: I predict a future post created by you titled, "Dale Strough Ripped Me Off!!!".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Watseka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is the girl called Christina Ramsay (Ramsey) Fri simpleton 2
Comedian Ralphie May returns to Watseka Fri Thediggler 4
jeremy dyer Jul 28 Nessa 2
RIP Felicia (Jan '15) Jul 27 bitch1 17
Mail Lady Jul 26 Schmidt 11
rena!! Jul 26 Schmidt 9
Does anyone know Terri Moore ? Jul 25 jgw 8
Old bands from the 70's if you can't remember t... (May '09) Jul 4 Sydsational 45
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Watseka Mortgages