Group Hopes to Find Mass Grave

Group Hopes to Find Mass Grave

There are 22 comments on the WXIA Atlanta story from Nov 23, 2007, titled Group Hopes to Find Mass Grave. In it, WXIA Atlanta reports that:

WATKINSVILLE, Ga. -- A group devoted to remembering the 1946 lynching of two black couples on a bridge by a white mob has turned its attention to a killing four decades earlier.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WXIA Atlanta.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Leigh

Canton, GA

#1 Nov 23, 2007
While these events are tradgic do these people not realize as long as they continue to did up these long past events they are only fuleing a fire of racism in this country.

Since: Jul 07

Atlanta (Peachtree City)

#2 Nov 23, 2007
Leigh wrote:
While these events are tradgic do these people not realize as long as they continue to did up these long past events they are only fuleing a fire of racism in this country.
Sounds like your afraid of the history of your race being exposed. The only racism that is going to be stirred up is in the people that want to pretend like things never happened or those that think things should go back to the way they were.

People have a right to find their grandparents and great grandparents, give them a decent burial and have closure on these murders. I always visit my grandparent and great grandparents at the family graveyard plot when I travel there and I take my kids so they can feel connected to their past and one day hope they will continue the tradition with their kids. The family of these people deserve to do the same.

If somebody is offended by this then thats just too bad. If Black people are still affected and appalled by what took place in the early 1900's and 1946, just 50 years ago then so be it. The guns might be cleaned and put away and the ropes may be neatly coiled up but the after affects are still with us and manifest itself in generational crime and poverty (in some cases). The families of the ones that committed these murders may have weaned the memory out of their minds or some may not even know their family was a part of it but there are sons and daughters and grandchildren alive right now that have no choice but to live with their lose on a daily basis wondering what happened to their family.

I will agree that we need to stop talking about it just as soon as we stop commemorating Pearl Harbor, those that died in World War 1 and 2. Vietnam, the Koran War, the Civil was and the victims of 911. Some say prisoners are still being held in Vietnam. Every now and then they find the remains of a fallen soldier and send them home for a military burial. Should they stop digging that up also?

We probably should also stop celebrating the 4th of July as that probably peeves off England and we really should not fuel the fire of breaking it off with them with all that in your face celebration.

The best way to deal with the past is to learn about it, learn from it. acknowledge it's horror, get closure and move on. Some of us have done that better then others but all of our experiences are different. We need to let people deal with it the best way they see fit...too bad if it makes somebody feel uncomfortable.
Are You Kidding

United States

#4 Nov 23, 2007
Angry Black Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like your afraid of the history of your race being exposed. The only racism that is going to be stirred up is in the people that want to pretend like things never happened or those that think things should go back to the way they were.
People have a right to find their grandparents and great grandparents, give them a decent burial and have closure on these murders. I always visit my grandparent and great grandparents at the family graveyard plot when I travel there and I take my kids so they can feel connected to their past and one day hope they will continue the tradition with their kids. The family of these people deserve to do the same.
If somebody is offended by this then thats just too bad. If Black people are still affected and appalled by what took place in the early 1900's and 1946, just 50 years ago then so be it. The guns might be cleaned and put away and the ropes may be neatly coiled up but the after affects are still with us and manifest itself in generational crime and poverty (in some cases). The families of the ones that committed these murders may have weaned the memory out of their minds or some may not even know their family was a part of it but there are sons and daughters and grandchildren alive right now that have no choice but to live with their lose on a daily basis wondering what happened to their family.
I will agree that we need to stop talking about it just as soon as we stop commemorating Pearl Harbor, those that died in World War 1 and 2. Vietnam, the Koran War, the Civil was and the victims of 911. Some say prisoners are still being held in Vietnam. Every now and then they find the remains of a fallen soldier and send them home for a military burial. Should they stop digging that up also?
We probably should also stop celebrating the 4th of July as that probably peeves off England and we really should not fuel the fire of breaking it off with them with all that in your face celebration.
The best way to deal with the past is to learn about it, learn from it. acknowledge it's horror, get closure and move on. Some of us have done that better then others but all of our experiences are different. We need to let people deal with it the best way they see fit...too bad if it makes somebody feel uncomfortable.
I agree....God bless the poor Jews enslaved by the Black Man to build Egypt....oh wait history has forgot about that!!
WAKE UP CALL

United States

#5 Nov 23, 2007
Angry Black Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Leigh could have very well come from a long line of family members that believes it is better to keep things quiet and out of view than to reveal the ugly past and have to deal with the sin and guilt of it.

So many people can be linked to these crimes of hate who are family members of the perpetrators back then to the fear is real.

I believe they should be found out and the families should make restitution to the victims' families... I mean property, land, apologies, admission of guilt...

Atlanta (Peachtree City)

#6 Nov 23, 2007
WAKE UP CALL wrote:
<quoted text>
Leigh could have very well come from a long line of family members that believes it is better to keep things quiet and out of view than to reveal the ugly past and have to deal with the sin and guilt of it.
So many people can be linked to these crimes of hate who are family members of the perpetrators back then to the fear is real.
I believe they should be found out and the families should make restitution to the victims' families... I mean property, land, apologies, admission of guilt...
I would stop short of restitution and apologies etc. Obviously asking for help in finding where they are buried without ridicule is asking too much as it is.
WAKE UP CALL

United States

#7 Nov 23, 2007
Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree....God bless the poor Jews enslaved by the Black Man to build Egypt....oh wait history has forgot about that!!
WoW! Egyptians were BlacK! Don't look black today!

Atlanta (Peachtree City)

#8 Nov 23, 2007
Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed it has and it seems it has also confused you. Thanks for giving Blacks credit for being the original builders of the pyramids although they were probably more of a Hamatic-Semitic mix and then later became Black around the time of King Tut. The Hebrew Jews were not like the European Jews we see today in America but by the time the Hebrew Jews left Egypt they were Black and through intermarrying they all began to look like one another. Where is the proof? Well how else was Moses, a Jew, able to be raised in the Pharaohs house as the Princesses son for 30 years if he was not able to pass as one of them.

You can't really tell who is Jewish now anymore here in the US then you could back then. Either way they were all Black when it was all said and done. Egypt is in Africa so they are all Africans.

This calls for more research, thanks for bringing it up.
WAKE UP CALL

United States

#9 Nov 23, 2007
Angry Black Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I would stop short of restitution and apologies etc. Obviously asking for help in finding where they are buried without ridicule is asking too much as it is.
Sometimes tho...

'we have not, because we ask not'

Sometimes you ask and expect a response. who knows it might be, "alright then. we'll do it."
CubMaster

Atlanta, GA

#10 Nov 23, 2007
WAKE UP CALL wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! Egyptians were BlacK! Don't look black today!
Duh, Where the heck do you think Egypt is? It's in north Africa bone head!

What the first post was trying to say is somethings are better left alone. That was without consideration of the families of the murdered I see, but that was not the intent. I am sure. But once again Angry Black Man lives up to his name.
Are You Kidding

United States

#11 Nov 23, 2007
WAKE UP CALL wrote:
<quoted text>
WoW! Egyptians were BlacK! Don't look black today!
According to black "leaders" they were.
backwoods

Solon, ME

#12 Nov 23, 2007
I am proud to be from the South in the friendly and hospitable sense. I'm no flag waver because not all of my friends care for it. Our ethnic history goes farther back than Fort Oglethorpe and should be brought to light so we can all see where we do not want to go again. Lets find and honor those that sacrificed the ultimate gift, no matter how disturbing and tragic, because our way of life is being diluted by people who want to be like us. Though for some the South stands for slavery, I know it for some of the most charming and giving people who make it The Bible Belt.
CubMaster

Atlanta, GA

#13 Nov 23, 2007
I don't hear the Jewish population screaming for restitution from the blacks that enslaved them for centuries. Why don't you blacks lay off with the "You owe me and my people for enslaving us and oppressing us" You weren't there, I wasn't there my family doesn't owe you or any black person or family anything. Get over yourself.
Are You Kidding

United States

#14 Nov 23, 2007
CubMaster wrote:
<quoted text>
What the first post was trying to say is somethings are better left alone. That was without consideration of the families of the murdered I see, but that was not the intent. I am sure. But once again Angry Black Man lives up to his name.
You're right, I do not condone any of the killing no matter the color...I do get tired of the incessant whining about who was a slave or who was lynched etc....It was the past and if we ever decide to leave it there, I think things could get better. I think if you look throughout history, everyone has been abused by someone else and some point.
WAKE UP CALL

United States

#15 Nov 23, 2007
CubMaster wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey you must be new on here... I will wait awhile before I plug into your #!@@#@##!

I'll let you find me on the forums before I respond to your silly#$@$!$$!#$&^%.

Don't let bone-reponse fool ya. I'm not trying to find myself... I know who I am. And I am a history addict.

So, don't let bone-reponse fool ya.
CubMaster

Atlanta, GA

#16 Nov 23, 2007
Exactly. No one is saying,
"Lets forget about it". But we don't have to keep mulling it over and over and over again.
WAKE UP CALL

United States

#17 Nov 23, 2007
CubMaster wrote:
I don't hear the Jewish population screaming for restitution from the blacks that enslaved them for centuries. Why don't you blacks lay off with the "You owe me and my people for enslaving us and oppressing us" You weren't there, I wasn't there my family doesn't owe you or any black person or family anything. Get over yourself.
Then you're deaf! And perhaps living in the backwoods somewhere. I tell you what... Produce a Nazi criminal hiding out in this country and see what happens to Him/Her.

Who do you think is screaming for justice when they appear on the scene?

By the way I wanted to address in my 1st response to you that I knew you were white by your handle 'cubmaster'

I'd be watching my kids closely around you if I were your neighbor. And No! You don't master anything! That is why you are so angry. Probably know Blacks that supercede you by a couple of hundred thousand dollars in income... Can't stand it!
WAKE UP CALL

United States

#18 Nov 23, 2007
CubMaster wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.egypttoday.com/articles.aspx...

See any black faces here?
scott

Lawrenceville, GA

#19 Nov 23, 2007
Go wake up call amd abm sometimes most really you guys make me proud.
WAKE UP CALL

United States

#20 Nov 26, 2007
scott wrote:
Go wake up call amd abm sometimes most really you guys make me proud.
What's up scott? Beam me up, scotty! Good morning. Como te va? Espero tienes un buen dia!

No. I'm not hispanic at all. Just to clear up matters. And I am legally here. Just as some hispanics are.

Anyway see ya around. I agreed with you on the other forum response...

Since: Sep 07

Atlanta, GA

#21 Nov 26, 2007
I agree with ABM that it's important for these people to find their families and be able to lay them to rest properly. I disagree with the extreme part of his post about how we should maybe stop recognizing those who died in wars, etc.

I think the problem people have with this particular story is that it fuels the fire of racism. This only gives those who can't let go more of a reason to "hate" white people. I see both sides of the story and all, but sometimes more harm than good can come from things.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Watkinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
americans love to be fooled by their own govern... Jul 30 wjabbe 13
one of the last great performances of elvis Jul 29 wjabbe 2
where can i buy dip underage Jul 23 Dipping_Myself_Re... 2
Vote for us please Jul 15 Guess 2
News It's warming faster in cities - but there are c... Jul 11 Schooled 3
News Report provides insights into Athens-Clarke Cou... Jul 6 jo jo whites 5
war is a racket by marine general smedley butler Jul 4 wjabbe 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Watkinsville Mortgages