Unattended infant killed by Siberian ...

Unattended infant killed by Siberian husky at home near Indepen...

There are 109 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 19, 2010, titled Unattended infant killed by Siberian husky at home near Indepen.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

When it involves a baby's death, even the tired eyes of veteran cops well up. At times pausing to compose himself, West Hennepin Public Safety Director Ray McCoy explained Friday how a 71-pound Siberian husky attacked and killed 11-day-old Robert Hocker in a lakeside home west of Independence.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Nemo

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Feb 20, 2010
The parents left the infant and dog together unattended. To Dealer, Robert looked and smelled like a snack. Dogs are predators; babies are, putting it very simply, prey. (This is why those of us who own small pets like guinea pigs or rabbits would never dream of placing such animals within biting range of even the gentlest of dogs.) Now Robert is dead, poor Dealer will soon be dead, and we're left with two grieving idiots.
chuey

United States

#2 Feb 20, 2010
This article shows the media bias against pit bulls. Why are pit bulls even mentioned here? It is this kind of writers that make people fear wonderful dogs like pitties. I guess even when the story isn't even about pits, the media still has to stir up fear. Let's face it, people were at fault here as is the case most of the time.
Smitty New York

Basking Ridge, NJ

#3 Feb 20, 2010
Hustkies look a lot like wolves and a cross is possible. Huskies have a temperament and physical characterisitcs closer to a wolf than most other domestic dog breeds. Many times a Hybrid is likely to be "disquised" as a "Hustky" since Hybrids are illegal in many areas.
A wolf or wolf hybrid is much more likely to kill an infant than a domestic dog.
Smitty
Smitty's Dog Training School
Long Island, NY

Since: Feb 08

Baldwin City, KS

#5 Feb 20, 2010
I hate to say it, but "Think Again" makes some good points, albeit, in what many will;consider questionable taste.
Bah Humbug

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Feb 20, 2010
chuey wrote:
This article shows the media bias against pit bulls. Why are pit bulls even mentioned here? It is this kind of writers that make people fear wonderful dogs like pitties. I guess even when the story isn't even about pits, the media still has to stir up fear. Let's face it, people were at fault here as is the case most of the time.
I pity anyone who defends pitties.
here we go

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Feb 20, 2010
When the kids were babies, we put a screen door on their bedroom. That way, we kept the cats out of the room but could still hear and see what was going on in there. Was it hyper vigilent? Maybe. But that's what parents do. They protect their kids and take measures to keep them out of harms way.

They kept their kid on a bed, alone and unwatched with a dog in the house? Some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids...
Prison nothing less

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Feb 20, 2010
If the parents of that child are not charged with murder and made to spend several years in prison, then our legal system is grossly flawed. There are to many children dieing or being maimed at the jaws of these big dogs, the owners have to take responsibility. Currently dogs can murder and there are no legal consequences, therefore if someone would teach their dog to rob a bank then there should also be no consequences and Walla the owner of the bank robbing dog starts to compile the riches attained from the actions of their lovable little pooch, named Dillenger.
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Feb 20, 2010
Smitty New York wrote:
Hustkies look a lot like wolves and a cross is possible. Huskies have a temperament and physical characterisitcs closer to a wolf than most other domestic dog breeds. Many times a Hybrid is likely to be "disquised" as a "Hustky" since Hybrids are illegal in many areas.
A wolf or wolf hybrid is much more likely to kill an infant than a domestic dog.
Smitty
Smitty's Dog Training School
Long Island, NY
I agree. There's a guy in my neighborhood with a wolf hybrid and he tells everyone it's a husky because he knows they're illegal.
Sherlock Holmes

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Feb 20, 2010
Watson, quick man hurry and get DNA on that poor baby and DNA of the alleged father. Take the mother's also, Watson. I suspect there is foul play here.
THINK AGAIN

Waunakee, WI

#11 Feb 20, 2010
here we go wrote:
When the kids were babies, we put a screen door on their bedroom. That way, we kept the cats out of the room but could still hear and see what was going on in there. Was it hyper vigilent? Maybe. But that's what parents do. They protect their kids and take measures to keep them out of harms way.
They kept their kid on a bed, alone and unwatched with a dog in the house? Some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids...
It is always great to have several cats excreting their wastes into a litterbox, usually, and then walking, sitting in their excrement, and then carrying, dragging their deposits throughout the house for the babies, children to ingest. It just makes good sense!!!! And let's not even get into cats on the tables, counter tops, and furniture!!!
Negligent Parents

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Feb 20, 2010
It was the dogs fault again!

Dam it we should have not let

the kid sit in his car seat on the

bed unattended with a dog that

uses it's mouth & teeth to pick

up sticks and stuffs, no hands remember!

Charge them and let them defend themselves

since the public has already made up its mind

I think the jury will likely agree ASAP!!

Negligent parents indeed.
Sigh

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Feb 20, 2010
THINK AGAIN wrote:
It is a good thing the BABY didn't kill the dog!! Imagine the outcry from P.E.T.A. if that would have happened!!! FEMINISTS and ABORTION RIGHTS people should just consider this a POST BIRTH ABORTION?? NO CRIME, NO TIME!!!!
Really???????
Taste Yummy

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Feb 20, 2010
THINK AGAIN wrote:
<quoted text>It is always great to have several cats excreting their wastes into a litterbox, usually, and then walking, sitting in their excrement, and then carrying, dragging their deposits throughout the house for the babies, children to ingest. It just makes good sense!!!! And let's not even get into cats on the tables, counter tops, and furniture!!!
Cats & dogs lick their own behinds private parts
then humans kiss & let them lick with the same
tongue & mouth moments later!
GROSS , UNHEALTHY & BACTERIALLY DISCCUSTING !!
Intelligent Veterinarian

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Feb 20, 2010
chuey wrote:
The only good pit bull is a dead pit bull. All of them should be exterminated. They serve no uselful purpose in society.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
here we go

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Feb 20, 2010
THINK AGAIN wrote:
<quoted text>It is always great to have several cats excreting their wastes into a litterbox, usually, and then walking, sitting in their excrement, and then carrying, dragging their deposits throughout the house for the babies, children to ingest. It just makes good sense!!!! And let's not even get into cats on the tables, counter tops, and furniture!!!
The point is, don't most parents do what they need to do in order to avoid a tragic event such as this? How brain dead can a person be to leave a child unattended with a dog running around? Perhaps it's your idea exemplary parenting, but I think most parents would be a little more cautious.

PS. My cats have never gone on the counter or table. Furthermore, I've never seen them drag their a** across the carpet leaving their dingleberries the way a dog does.
Sheriff Andy Taylor

AOL

#19 Feb 20, 2010
Yes Barney, you can take the bullet out of your pocket and load it into your gun now.........
Cindy Stainker

United States

#20 Feb 20, 2010
THINK AGAIN wrote:
Your rant should have included dogs crapping and peeing in the backyard of your home where children play. Then the fact that dogs also carry the mess from their feces and urine into your home, all over the carpets and floors where children have also been known to play. Unless you live in a bubble there will always be germs on any surface of any home. If you train your cat to stay off your furniture and the tables and counters you can lessen the chance of coming into contact with the bacteria. People also carry germs into their homes on their shoes from people who spit on the ground, animal feces and urine, and any number of other bacteria causing substances.
THINK AGAIN

Waunakee, WI

#21 Feb 20, 2010
here we go wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is, don't most parents do what they need to do in order to avoid a tragic event such as this? How brain dead can a person be to leave a child unattended with a dog running around? Perhaps it's your idea exemplary parenting, but I think most parents would be a little more cautious.
PS. My cats have never gone on the counter or table. Furthermore, I've never seen them drag their **** across the carpet leaving their dingleberries the way a dog does.
Sprinkle some flour on the table, counter tops, and the top of the refrigerator at night before you go to bed. You will find CAT FOOTPRINTS in all or most of those places in the morning. You are ignorant!!!!
ilikecats

Chaska, MN

#23 Feb 20, 2010
THINK AGAIN wrote:
Gee, let me guess, you're not a cat lover, are you? But you know what? Thousands of people grew up in homes inhabited by cats, and they lived to tell about it. You need to find something important to obsess over.
ilikecats

Chaska, MN

#24 Feb 20, 2010
I think that only a really ignorant person would call a total stranger "ignorant". You must know Cindy Stainker personally then, huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Watertown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rev. Marvin Palmquist (Jan '14) Jan '14 David Jansen 1
Local Politics House of Representatives -- Member Michele Bach... (Jun '11) Jun '11 purplepie 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jun '11 ex-pert 162
News Hallock woman among 4 arrested in South Dakota ... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Blah 1
News Chaska nonprofit's founder gets jail time for s... (Mar '11) Mar '11 blindman 15
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Minnesot... (Oct '10) Nov '10 Hunt 2
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Minnesot... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Steve 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Watertown Mortgages