Interested

Granite City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Would you patronize a non-union company apposed to a union or vice verse?
Resident

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

It might depend on the type of business and need/choices in the community along with the prices. I don't vote strictly democrat or buy one brand of car, etc because one thing is never 100 percent all the time... Too many other factors involved. That said, I would prefer to support union, absolutely.
JDR

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2010

Judged:

I support Union and am opposed to idiots who can't word thier thread correctly either way. How are you going to run a business, lead others and sell yourself to customers if you can't use the English language correctly.
Absolutely

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2010

Judged:

I would most likely support a non union contractor.
Interested

Granite City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2010

Judged:

I am a contractor for a union construction company, but I am considering going non-union due to all of the hidden fees. I have been in business for a little over 4 years and just recently I was sent a bill from my local stating that I owe them 70K for a hiring bond. My first question is why didn't they send this four years ago and my second question is based upon expansion of small companies. With that being said, how does being union help you grow as a contractor. Ok, so they give you an extra 4k to target a job, but that is not enough to keep you profitable. I am a firm republican supporter, but I have always operated union for commercial purposes. Now that I have built a clientele I am considering going non-union. Would this be a good move for the business and my patrons? Obviously I already have my own answers, but I am posting this thread for outside insight.
JDR

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2010

Judged:

well I can tell you your customers aren't going to use you if they have pickets and people hand billing in front of thier establishments causing them to lose business. Also anyh government funded jobs require prevailing wage which is based on area union scale wages and benefits so youy will pay the same thier to your workers. Being union you get skillfully trained workers that do the job correctly, safetly and in a timely manner which saves you money and gets you more business. Go non union and be hiding out as a rat from people you have worked with in the past, losing business and looking for quality help. sounds like a great plan! Didn't need to say you are republican could tell buy the greed you want to makemore money by not paying union wages. get some illegals! typical republian greed you probably think all democrats are out to take your guns and your bibles
Get_A_Life

Clinton, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2010

Judged:

JDR your heavy handed union bullshit days are over. Its not a question of whyo is doing your work its the work they preform I work for a union contraction some members where hard working some trouble makers you couldnt do anything about troublemakers others had o pick up thier slack non-union you fire them if they dont preform. further moer all union crafts better clean house and only keep the working people not the wantabes who think they are if you dont unionss will take thier dying breath .

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2010

Judged:

Get_A_Life wrote:
JDR your heavy handed union bullshit days are over. Its not a question of whyo is doing your work its the work they preform I work for a union contraction some members where hard working some trouble makers you couldnt do anything about troublemakers others had o pick up thier slack non-union you fire them if they dont preform. further moer all union crafts better clean house and only keep the working people not the wantabes who think they are if you dont unionss will take thier dying breath .
Both of you need to run spell check....none the less, I've been around both union and non union. UMWA, who has out priced, just out of..???? why? the bull shit with the unions have like many things have gotten out of control. We all know this!

Not all union people have their act together, smart or even have a half-ass work ethic. Yes, I know non union as well, but at least there's a button to push like fire them is they fail to meet said standard. Isn't the coal for the new plant sent in from non union mines? One more point, just because one is non union doesn't make their work sub standard!
Krissy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

As long as its legal non union Americans i'd patronage...unions just want their money...they aren't what they use to be...not for the workers anymore...I don't cross picket lines but I will hire non union in a heartbeat...one of my jobs is union and the other isn't...I'd prefer non union...
Curious

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

JDR....blanket statements are ridiculous. There is good and bad in either direction. It depends on the employer, if you ask me.
I would like to know how are people suppose to afford to pay a Union business in today's world? How are small local businesses suppose to afford to pay Union fees?
It's out of hand.
grandma

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

JDR wrote:
I support Union and am opposed to idiots who can't word thier thread correctly either way. How are you going to run a business, lead others and sell yourself to customers if you can't use the English language correctly.
Since you are so opposed to "idiots" who can't word THIER (should be their) thread correctly.....I just had to let you know about your spelling error!!!!
Best Deal

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

I would support and hire whoever could give me the best deal and price (with references). That usually means non-union.
Anonymous

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

I will gladly cross a Union line any day of the week. I have numerous family members who are non union carpenters. Their families deserve to eat just as much as union carpenters families. The fact that the Union feels the need to picket all companies that chose not to use them makes me furious. What makes the Union better? What makes them deserve every contracting job out there? What makes non union employees less deserving. I'm going to start picketting every company that uses union contractors because my family members did not get the job. And just so you know I am not biased, my boyfriend is a union carpenter. And I will still cross every union line on principal alone. Especailly when he is laid off, is getting shit for unemployment and is not allowed to take side jobs for money to support his family or go to work for a company that is needing workers but is non union.
agree

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

I agree
Been There

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

Judged:

Screw the Unions!
Vet

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

Judged:

JDR wrote:
well I can tell you your customers aren't going to use you if they have pickets and people hand billing in front of thier establishments causing them to lose business. Also anyh government funded jobs require prevailing wage which is based on area union scale wages and benefits so youy will pay the same thier to your workers. Being union you get skillfully trained workers that do the job correctly, safetly and in a timely manner which saves you money and gets you more business. Go non union and be hiding out as a rat from people you have worked with in the past, losing business and looking for quality help. sounds like a great plan! Didn't need to say you are republican could tell buy the greed you want to makemore money by not paying union wages. get some illegals! typical republian greed you probably think all democrats are out to take your guns and your bibles
So what you are saying is that without Big Brother forcing companies and people to use your bloated lazy workers, you would be out of business in days?

It is hilarious though, a union worker taking someone to task for greed. I understand in YOUR world it is evil for an owner to want to maximize his profits, but perfectly OK to charge inflated wages to protect the lazy, weak and stupid. It cracks me up that you can't see the hypocrisy in that.
Think about it

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

Companies maximize thier profits by sendind work to third world countries who pay 50 cents a week to child labor. That sounds fair. As long as the owner gets his who cares about the workers, right?
Anonymous

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

Judged:

JDR wrote:
well I can tell you your customers aren't going to use you if they have pickets and people hand billing in front of thier establishments causing them to lose business.
Wrong. I will cross a union line in a heartbeat and so will any one of my friends or family.
JDR wrote:
Being union you get skillfully trained workers that do the job correctly, safetly and in a timely manner which saves you money and gets you more business. Go non union and be hiding out as a rat from people you have worked with in the past, losing business and looking for quality help.
This comment in particular will cause me to never use your company and will absolutely make me think twice about using any business that does. Companies like yours are the reason I would never use Union contractors.
Vet

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

Judged:

Think about it wrote:
Companies maximize thier profits by sendind work to third world countries who pay 50 cents a week to child labor. That sounds fair. As long as the owner gets his who cares about the workers, right?
Yep. The key word there is OWNER. That means, that person is the one putting his/her money, time and reputation on the line. They are taking the risk and betting on their ability to become successful.

Then come the union workers demanding inflated wages for 1/2 the work with no responsibility for the success of the business. If they can get work for 50 cents a week, GREAT!! That person is probably preventing starvation for people who actually WORK rather than sit on their butts and complain.
Vet

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

Judged:

JDR wrote:
I make a point of crossing as many picket lines as I can, laughing all the way in. I have bought things I didn't need or want, just to cross a picket line. I stay in the same hotel every time I go to Chicago JUST to cross the picket line. I love it, even though the union can't be bothered to picket themselves and instead, hire Mexicans to picket for them, all without seeing the hypocrisy of their actions.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of122
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

21 Users are viewing the Waterloo Forum right now

Search the Waterloo Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Sarah and Jeff 59 min OMG 17
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr nnamhcsriK elaD yrogerG 48,671
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 6 hr Midlothian Composer 3,811
IL Who do you support for Attorney General in Illi... (Oct '10) 6 hr Midlothian Composer 640
"Fantastic" Sams (Jun '10) 17 hr Squirrel42 21
Nail salon (Feb '11) Wed ms fd 33
Dogs Tue Yep 7
•••
•••
•••
•••

Waterloo Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••