Applebee's "Carside To Go"/Tipping
Curious

Columbia, IL

#61 Apr 6, 2010
Hey I know not to mess with people. Whenever something is wrong with my order I will not tell the waiter or waitress because I don't want to tick anybody off. Instead I will suck it up and enjoy a crappy meal because I am one of those people afraid of speaking up when I should get what I wanted to begin with. So no reality check needed. But I would assume there would be a boss or manager around to watch those high school kids that might think its funny to mess around with peoples food..people that don't deserve to have anything done to their food.
tight asses

Columbia, IL

#62 Apr 8, 2010
give those poor kids a tip they only make $5.75 at carside to go because of tips!
Works at Applebees

Upper Marlboro, MD

#63 May 8, 2010
Applebee's To Go employees make the same as a server does. Mind you this is less than $4 an hour. We do the same thing as a server, we take your order, package it, make sure everything is how you had asked for, we take it out to your car and make sure that you are happy. Is this not what a server does? We work for tips as would any server. Asking if you will be needing change is harmless and I don't understand why that would be offensive? You may make a luxurious paycheck and salary at your job, but for To Go we depend on tips. Many people do not know that. If you do not or cannot afford to tip 20% of your bill (in this case a mere $6) then why eat out? McDonalds is just around the corner.
Okay

Waterloo, IL

#64 May 8, 2010
Works at Applebees wrote:
Applebee's To Go employees make the same as a server does. Mind you this is less than $4 an hour. We do the same thing as a server, we take your order, package it, make sure everything is how you had asked for, we take it out to your car and make sure that you are happy. Is this not what a server does? We work for tips as would any server. Asking if you will be needing change is harmless and I don't understand why that would be offensive? You may make a luxurious paycheck and salary at your job, but for To Go we depend on tips. Many people do not know that. If you do not or cannot afford to tip 20% of your bill (in this case a mere $6) then why eat out? McDonalds is just around the corner.
Your attitude..like many others that work there is the reason I DO NOT go to Applebees anymore!!! The service is horrible just like the food!!!
McDs is better

Saint Louis, MO

#65 May 12, 2010
Works at Applebees wrote:
I agree that asking if you want change is no big deal.
But you don not do all of the functions of a waiter in a sit down situation. They come back multiple times for refills, checkups, and all sorts of additional requests. They spend around 1 hour with their patrons while you spend maybe 20 seconds. You do not deserve the same gratuity and certainly not %20 of the bill.
And by the way if $6 can be considered "mere" than perhaps you enjoy the luxury paycheck.
person cooking your food

Waterloo, IL

#66 May 12, 2010
Mr. Know It All is a complete douchebag. I only wanted to call this out into the open, even though it has already been made apparent.
amburmae

Westfield, MA

#67 Jun 6, 2010
Mr Know It All wrote:
<quoted text>
I know for a fact that Applebees waitresses get paid more than $3.50 an hour.
Not much more, I only make 3.91 as a server at applebees.
ugh

Waterloo, IL

#68 Jun 8, 2010
Wait tables for one day and then you can gripe. It's not as easy as you think.
Tammy

Manchester, NH

#69 Jun 14, 2010
The same person that had to bring you your food carside atservice is now taking time away from the table that is actually tipping them, which is the bread and butter on my table because my husband is a server for the whopping 3.25 he gets, and with the economy as bad as it is, people don't stop eating out, they just stop tipping! You are probably the same person that comes in for the restuarants desparate attempt to make money with the brillant two for twenty deals.. and free refills.. which keeps the servers running back and forth filling your free soda, getting you more dressing cleaning up after the food your kids (that eat free) throw on the floor... and your bill come s to apprx.$27 and you say "keep the change" like your a big hero! You have taken up that table for about an hour and he has just made under min.wage. not only after working a double he doesn't even make minimum wage because "tipping" is so lucrative! but don't forget this is along with his whopping 3.25 hr.

And then along comes the guy (You) who wants drive through but not drive-thru food b/c he's tooo lazy to get out of his car... this is not fast food, The server now is taken away from the tables he/she is serving and has to wait on an ingreat like yourself and still getting your salad dressing, packing up your food, checking on you utensils and preparing everything else you need... again it is not Micky D's and at his finger tips... well he will keep smiling and bringing your food and you will keep feel entitled,

Next time stay home and cook your meal and then you will do the rest of us a favor. People can focus on serving those who are going out to dine and are will to actually pay for the full service. Not just too lazy to get out of there car.
Just Curious wrote:
Last night I ordered Applebee's Car side to go. The bill came to $31. I gave her $40 and was asked if I needed change. I'm I really expected to leave a $9 tip for them to walk my food to my car? How much do you all tip for this?
Been there

Columbia, IL

#70 Jun 14, 2010
Welcome to 2010- people in general want their service for nothing. They are "entitled" to your hard service. We eat out alot and always say thank you,etc and tip well each time.A good part of the time we eat out we see individuals being rude to the waiters-or not even leaving a tip. Unfortunately this is not getting any better through the years my advice for what its worth-start going back to school and try to get a better job cause your not going to change the "entitlement" mentality of some people. Several times recently I have been shopping at Schnucks or Walmart and been looking at an item on the shelf and a person will come and stand between me and the shelf! How rude! There are no manners anymore!
been there

Waterloo, IL

#71 Jun 14, 2010
But the sense of entitlement isn't limited to the customers..........you can sense that by the statements made by "Tammy" who thinks if you drive thru, you are not entitled to good service, because her husband may not make a good tip. IF he isn't serving customers without an attitude, he will not be receiving the tips he thinks he is entitled to. So many servers put your plates in front of you, along with the bill, and leave you there until you get up to leave. What kind of tip is that server entitled to??? All the server did in this case, is take our order, and bring it to the table. I'm just saying........think about it!
Been there

Waterloo, IL

#72 Jun 14, 2010
Yes,you are right- poor service should not be ignored-you should do this by involving the manager,by not leaving a tip or by not returning to the restaurant. The entitlement does go both ways! The feeling of some that I am your waiter and so I deserve a tip is not right.
annonomous

Columbia, IL

#74 Sep 1, 2010
bird lover wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing! I don't tip for take out.
whenever you get take out the person who brings it too you usually has to package it and get everything ready for you. although most people dont its nice to leave them a little something
Ashely

Fredonia, NY

#75 Sep 30, 2010
I work Carside at applebess and we DO NOT make minimum wage. we make about $4.60 and A LOT of people do not tip.
huh

East Saint Louis, IL

#76 Oct 1, 2010
I read this entire thread and noticed that out of all the people who claim to work at Applebee's, not one wrote the same wage. Interesting.
Kodhai

Milford, OH

#77 Nov 6, 2010
I work at Applebees. I don't know if people know this, but Applebees hires people specifically for Carside to Go. If you are under 19, you are not allowed to be a server so they will put you on Host or Carside. Carside people answer the phone, go back and hassle the kitchen to make sure it's done correctly and fast, put the food in boxes, stock the silverware, bring the food out to the cars, and deal with the money payment. On top of that, we also deal with rude customers, just like regular servers. Just an FYI. We do except tip because we get paid less than minimum wage and also do about the same things servers do.
the real newbie

Waterloo, IL

#78 Nov 8, 2010
huh wrote:
I read this entire thread and noticed that out of all the people who claim to work at Applebee's, not one wrote the same wage. Interesting.
The interesting part to this is that you said you read this entire thread. My problem with believing this is that if you PAY ATTENTION you'll notice that people were posting from across the country from multiple stores. Do you really think that someone who works at the Waterloo Applebees gets paid the same as someone who works in Virginia, Missouri, Wisconsin, or any of these other places? If so than you must be unaware that different states have different MINIMUM wages. Idiot.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#79 Nov 8, 2010
Mr Know It All wrote:
<quoted text>
Way to judge a person from a Topix post. That really says alot about YOUR character. Actually I was a waiter too and a bartender for more years than you've probably been alive. I know what its like to work for tips, and as I have said in an earlier topic that was started about this very same thing, I knew when I took my job that it was shitty pay and tips were a BONUS, not what I should budget my life out on. I tip for the service I get. I know how easy it is to check an order before you take it to a table to make sure its right. I know how easy it is to ring up the right bill. I know how easy it is to make sure your customer are taken care of. Its not brain surgery. That's why the pay scale is what it is. Just making sure all you. people that are spouting off about to go orders needing a tip, that you tip EVERYONE that gives you a to go order. It doesn't matter what they are getting paid, they are providing you with the exact same service. When you were a waitress would you have liked it if your customer asked how much you were getting paid, and tipped you accordingly? Oh, you're making minimum wage...well then you don't deserve a tip, but that person over there who isn't and provided me with the exact same servie, them I will tip.
Now THAT is some bullshit.
. The bullshit is that with all your "knowledge" you don't get that the fast food employee is compensated for your service in their hourly wage, all figured up front, and that the person making 4.80 is NOT compensated fully for the service they provide you, its left for you to do basically as an incentive to see employees do their job reasonably well without the close supervision of the fast food place.. A tip is what you give for ADEQUATE service, a generous tip is what you give for EXCEPTIONAL service, both considered as for someone who works in a setting where it is a long standing and appropriate social norm to do so. The person making just over half minimum wage who brings your food to you at the carside pickup took time from tipping tables to take your order and process it, she deserves something. Doesn't even have to be figured at ten %, but a couple bucks is in order, but I'm guessing your gonna stick with your argument, because you are, after all, mr know-it-all.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#80 Nov 8, 2010
been there wrote:
But the sense of entitlement isn't limited to the customers..........you can sense that by the statements made by "Tammy" who thinks if you drive thru, you are not entitled to good service, because her husband may not make a good tip. IF he isn't serving customers without an attitude, he will not be receiving the tips he thinks he is entitled to. So many servers put your plates in front of you, along with the bill, and leave you there until you get up to leave. What kind of tip is that server entitled to??? All the server did in this case, is take our order, and bring it to the table. I'm just saying........think about it!
. Never coming back gets 2cents. Not bringing something that goes with the meal gets a complaint. Being rude gets the above and something spilled. For me anyway. But I tip heavy for decent, way heavy for really good service. 20 to 40%.
Amy

United States

#81 Dec 31, 2010
Wow you cheap sobs. They don't make minimum wage and come out in the cold to serve your pathetic ass. Need I say more. Oh yes I do. They pay tax of 15 percent on the sale. Whether they get a tip or not. Don't bother to respond. I'm a tax accountant. I walk in and tip. Not overweight in my car.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waterloo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Angela meadors 1 hr Loyd 5
Tax Hike 2 hr Curious 8
Briar Lake Place Subdivision 9 hr mayor 8
Blacks in town. Tue Will 26
couch on the curb Tue Monya 7
I never knew passed gas could smell good Tue Mister M 2 U 1
john peppercorn the prophet Mon Ricardo montobomb 1

Waterloo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance