NonCustodial Dads
wondering

Waterloo, IL

#21 Jul 19, 2010
Legitimate question here. If the supported child is 18 and still in school, but lives with her boyfriend and not either parent, do both parents have to pay child support? Or only the Dad who has paid the Mom for the last 15 years. And who does the support check go to, the non-custodial Mom or the child supported by her boyfriend?
OpinionsPlease

Saint Louis, MO

#22 Jul 21, 2010
Child support ends at 18. If the child is living with on their own, then there is no reason to pay child support - especially to a mom the child doesn't live with. Get an order to end the support.

As far as school and the child, that is to be worked out with the individual parent if they want to provide money to help.
a-non

Somerville, MA

#23 Jul 21, 2010
No, actually support through college can be required, but not sure how living arrangements effect it.
wondering

Waterloo, IL

#24 Jul 21, 2010
That's what I need to find out. It just seems a shame to pay for legal advice when those funds should go to help the 18 year old student. But the mom thinks she's entitled to a monthly check, but she doesn't feel the need to help the girl.
Beware

Waterloo, IL

#25 Jul 21, 2010
wondering wrote:
That's what I need to find out. It just seems a shame to pay for legal advice when those funds should go to help the 18 year old student. But the mom thinks she's entitled to a monthly check, but she doesn't feel the need to help the girl.
If the mother is also getting public assistance (it use to be called Illinois Department of Public Aid-now it is called Illinois Department of Family Services.)she is entitled to a free attorney through the state which is total BU__SHIT!!!! My husband and I have had to hire an attorney numerous times and pay out of our pockets each time, and her attorney was free. She ALWAYS WON ALSO!!! The BIGGEST WASTE of money ever!!! This person has been living off the state for 19 + years...and just continues to pop out more kids!!!! Something has to change. Why should us taxpayers continue to pay for this nonsense???
OpinionsPlease

Saint Louis, MO

#26 Jul 22, 2010
Support can be obtained for college students, but it's a separate legal action. If you are paying child support on someone older than 18, you should file to have it terminated to the mother. You do not have to pay her! For college students, there is a separate suit that is filed for secondary education expenses if they so choose. Nothing is on the books as to what someone gets, it's up to the judge. If they live at home with mom, I don't know how that works either.
UIW396

Chicago, IL

#27 Jul 22, 2010
I'm gonna have to try that lawyer out
FYI

Waterloo, IL

#28 Jul 23, 2010
OpinionsPlease wrote:
Child support ends at 18. If the child is living with on their own, then there is no reason to pay child support - especially to a mom the child doesn't live with. Get an order to end the support.
As far as school and the child, that is to be worked out with the individual parent if they want to provide money to help.
Thats not true. Education expenses legally must be paid by the parents in the case of a divorce. If you are not divorced you don't have to send your kid to college. Go figure.
wondering

Waterloo, IL

#29 Jul 23, 2010
What if you were never married? What if you live in IL and child and Mom both live in MO, but child doesn't live with Mom? She's 18 but still has a year of high school. She drops out but goes back. How many times can she do this. Guess I need to pay a lawyer.
columbia

Saint Louis, MO

#30 Jul 25, 2010
Andrea Crowder Khoury, Mark Rohr are both very good annorneys... Judy Rau is a huge bitch and she charges outragious!
Alfred E Neuman

United States

#31 Jul 25, 2010
columbia wrote:
Andrea Crowder Khoury, Mark Rohr are both very good annorneys... Judy Rau is a huge bitch and she charges outragious!
I always love it when one ambulance chaser gets on topix using an anonymous handle and bad mouths another ambulance chaser to drum up business. You guys will do a*n*y*t*h*i*n*g for a buck.:>)
Alfred E Neuman

United States

#32 Jul 25, 2010
Is this Floyd?(chuckle, chuckle)
what

Waterloo, IL

#33 Jul 25, 2010
columbia wrote:
Andrea and Mark never won a case for me...But they cost an arm and a leg!!!
dave 200

AOL

#34 Jul 26, 2010
Try paying 792.00 in support and the have the children 22-26 days of the month work 8 hours to make 59.64 and have to get food stamps to feed my son whose mother is dead and no there was soc sec to get as my late wife never worked after going thru my state rep I was able to get Child Support enforcement to listen that Have a 17 letter last name and I listed twice in the system under both names one that pays and the other name doesnt Now im waiting for a court date
mother of 1

Waterloo, IL

#35 Jul 26, 2010
Take my advice and get a lawyer asap. Women these days will bleed you dry on child support and everything is in their favor to do it. The courts ALWAYS side with the mother and you will be paying a very high amount every month for your kids for her to spend any way she wants. And you cant do a thing about it, even if the kids do not get a penny of the money spent on them! I am a mother but was married to a man paying almost $900.00 a month for 2 kids. They didnt see a dime and she actually told the judge that she did not have to work because she has kids. So guess who gets to pay "the dad". Its sad that women see their children as a income. I say get your lazy asses off the couch and go to work like the rest of us.
Is it true

Red Bud, IL

#36 Jul 26, 2010
Sometimes Dad's think every penny of child support should go to clothes, extra activities ect..But remember Mom is renting a two bedroom place now instead of a one bedroom, that extra cost along with food, childcare, ect...comes from what Mom makes plus help from what child support she collects. My lousy ex pays 150.00 a week for three kids, when the youngest needed extra supplies to start 1st grade he told her to have me pay for it out of the child support check. Are you kidding? The 150.00 a week pays for thier food thats it..it is not enough for clothes,supplies,Dr visits, activities or anything else yet he acts like its a fortune.Not all Ex wives are out there getting rich of child support.
Reality

Manor, TX

#37 Jul 26, 2010
My ex wife is getting $3,100.00 each month from me for 3 kids and now she is taking me back for more. My daughter turns 19 in a few months and is going to college. Her devil attorney wants me to pay for all of the college, all of her lawyer bills, and to up my child support to over $4,000 a month (for 2 kids). She lives in a much larger house than I will ever dream of, has her own nicely paying job, and has a 2008 SUV. I on the other hand have a cheaper house, an older car, and not enough to pay for my child support thanks to the extra taxes OBama keeps taking from me. And the attorney wants more from me. I am about ready to quit my job, I have no money left :(
Alfred E Neuman

United States

#38 Jul 27, 2010
mother of 1 wrote:
Take my advice and get a lawyer asap. Women these days will bleed you dry on child support and everything is in their favor to do it. The courts ALWAYS side with the mother and you will be paying a very high amount every month for your kids for her to spend any way she wants. And you cant do a thing about it, even if the kids do not get a penny of the money spent on them! I am a mother but was married to a man paying almost $900.00 a month for 2 kids. They didnt see a dime and she actually told the judge that she did not have to work because she has kids. So guess who gets to pay "the dad". Its sad that women see their children as a income. I say get your lazy asses off the couch and go to work like the rest of us.
Thankfully, I'm done with that 6 year fiasco of paying into a lousy system. The problem is that there is no accountability demanded of the recipiant of the support payment built into the process. And that goes for either sex. I'd prefer an amount due each month and then as the provider of the payment, the necessity to provide receipts showing the items bought for the kid with the dollars given. It would be cumbersome to be sure but at least you'd get the peace of mind knowing the money sent is actually spent on the support of the kid instead of funding the ex's bar hopping, boyfriend/girlfriend date night, overpriced shoe fetish, etc. Plus, the kid would know what his or her father or mother was sending his or her direction each month in support - real items, not just numbers on a piece of paper. Would make a world of difference in my opinion - especially with teenagers.
Alfred E Neuman

United States

#39 Jul 27, 2010
Reality wrote:
My ex wife is getting $3,100.00 each month from me for 3 kids and now she is taking me back for more. My daughter turns 19 in a few months and is going to college. Her devil attorney wants me to pay for all of the college, all of her lawyer bills, and to up my child support to over $4,000 a month (for 2 kids). She lives in a much larger house than I will ever dream of, has her own nicely paying job, and has a 2008 SUV. I on the other hand have a cheaper house, an older car, and not enough to pay for my child support thanks to the extra taxes OBama keeps taking from me. And the attorney wants more from me. I am about ready to quit my job, I have no money left :(
A very good set of reasons to avoid marriage in the present day form (and if you simply must get married, don't have kids). Both are grossly over rated sources of happiness and if it doesn't work out, it can stress out and bankrupt an individual. Fight it, I guess... sounds like you really don't have anything to lose and everything to gain.
greedy moms

United States

#40 Aug 11, 2010
judges lawyers and exs are all bout the money they can care less bout the kids.They screw the dads over espically that judge doyle family judge my ass.He doesnt no what family is.Lets a mom and kids live wit a drug dealer who beats her.Crooked system hopefully my child doesnt get hurt or i will take matters in m y own hands.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waterloo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
monroe county property tax ? 4 hr The real Mike Wil... 21
Can a McDonalds survive in Millstadt. (Apr '15) 9 hr wake up 30
Bobby cheek (May '11) 9 hr Pig Vomit M 53
Angie Broske 10 hr Pig Vomit 5
Smithon or Hecker (May '12) 10 hr Want to move back... 9
Millstadt City Wide Yard Sale 12 hr truth 6
Dani Qualls 12 hr Paco 26

Waterloo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance