Concerns raised about Hudson drinking water

Full story: WNYT Albany
Thousands of people in Waterford, Halfmoon and the Mechanicville City School District get their drinking water from the Hudson River where PCBs will be dredged beginning next year. Full Story
former tv engineer

Glens Falls, NY

#1 Apr 28, 2008
LAUGH OUT LOUD cheesy.
This story is being played by local offcials as if they are the hapless victims, when in fact it is a case of their past cheapness coming home to roost.

The water in Waterford was foul as far back as i can remember.

There was no outcry from these cheap clowns in the 50's 60s and early seventies - while they were busy filling water mains at low cost from the Hudson river - as communites upstream pumped raw sewage into the water - and while GE poured waste PCBS by the ton into the stream- and Finch Pruyn and IP Mechanicville dumped more tons of papermill waste into the
waiting water mains of Waterford and other cheap skate towns along the bank who HAVE KNOWN BETTER than to use the Hudson as a source for 60 years!!!

ONLY NOW WE ALL GET TO PAY THE BILL FOR their WILLFUL BAD JUDGEMENT. And they may skate away for free

it is sickening to watch the blatant dishonesty ( or is it rank STUPIDITY?) at work in this dispute.
Terry - Saratoga

United States

#2 Apr 28, 2008
I'm a little confused at Supervisor Lawler's assumption that the EPA would not provide safe drinking water during phase one of the dredging project. The water would be monitored for unsafe levels during all phases of the project and if the water contaminant levels become unsafe, then the EPA would be responsible to provide and pay for water. But to expect the EPA to provide and pay for a new source of water when the current water supply is and will remain within safe tolerances during phase one of the project is a waste of money.
The EPA has already paid for a new connection pipeline to the new water source for phase two, so why begin using and paying for the new source when it isn't needed yet? I think this is a case of another politician up on his soapbox getting his camera time.
SWM

United States

#3 Apr 28, 2008
I agree with the above post, these politicians are rank with getting their faces on camera and blaming the EPA for things every town new was happening for years. Now they're all jumping up and crying foul and wanting the EPA i.e. taxpayers to foot the bill. This is the largest Superfund in the country, $700 million dollars and every politician along the project zone has dollar signs in his eyes and is stepping up to try and claim as much as he can. Not for his constituants, but for his/her political resume'.
SUM H2O

United States

#4 May 3, 2008
Will the water that we will be drinking from the mud puddle have to be filtered with a dirty handkerchief, or can we just lap it up as it drops out of the faucet?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waterford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr UnderstandPeople 19,641
Teresi: Secession Talks Are Distracting Mon good-shootin D Wi... 2
Troy Court Officer arrested for sexual abuse - ... Mon A mother and taxp... 1
Porco at year 8: Data hunt Mon BwaHawHawDbag 1
Review: Tully Rinckey PLLC (Sep '11) Feb 27 Discrim82 18
10117 Feb 27 gab 34
W is the cheapest place to get your taxes done? Feb 26 freddy 1
Waterford Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Waterford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance