Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,179

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#204923 Jul 26, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexual relationships are statistically highly unstable.
Imposing a counterfeit relationship on marriage will not change that result. Standing on your own honest identity is the only healthy way to move forward.
One of the primary reasons homosexual relationships have a poor track record is because we have not had the ability to marry one another.

Legal marriage, among other things, provides a sort of voluntary imprisonment to couples. Once they've stepped over that line, it's much more difficult for them to step back out. Only those who are certain that they wish to have a long-term relationship with someone are willing to take the vows. They don't call it the "old ball and chain" for nothing.

Do you think for one second that straight couples would be loyal and forever tied together if they DID NOT have a marriage holding their feet to the fire?

Marriage, as you SHOULD know, takes a relationship to a new and different level. It's quite a commitment to enter into a marriage. Gays who enter into a marriage know this.

Regardless of your yammering on about no-fault divorce, it's not a walk in the park to legally end your marriage; especially if you have children together. It's expensive and emotionally devastating.

Some people look at the difficulties involved with divorce and say, "Maybe we should just try to work things out."

Marriage can only help gay families grow and remain strong.
wtf

Concord, CA

#204924 Jul 26, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>One of the primary reasons homosexual relationships have a poor track record is because we have not had the ability to marry one another.

Legal marriage, among other things, provides a sort of voluntary imprisonment to couples. Once they've stepped over that line, it's much more difficult for them to step back out. Only those who are certain that they wish to have a long-term relationship with someone are willing to take the vows. They don't call it the "old ball and chain" for nothing.

Do you think for one second that straight couples would be loyal and forever tied together if they DID NOT have a marriage holding their feet to the fire?

Marriage, as you SHOULD know, takes a relationship to a new and different level. It's quite a commitment to enter into a marriage. Gays who enter into a marriage know this.

Regardless of your yammering on about no-fault divorce, it's not a walk in the park to legally end your marriage; especially if you have children together. It's expensive and emotionally devastating.

Some people look at the difficulties involved with divorce and say, "Maybe we should just try to work things out."

most FETISHES have a poor track record

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#204925 Jul 26, 2013
Bucket wrote:
It's not over complicated, the Supreme Court said the "prop8" supporters to go pound sand.
I know, right?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#204926 Jul 26, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
One of the primary reasons homosexual relationships have a poor track record is because we have not had the ability to marry one another.
Yeah you folks have a terrible track record of keeping your marrages together when married in the state of Alabama, not one! ;)

I still maintain that no fualt divorce ( which I agree is still not a walk in the park ) makes marrages stronger.

There is less reliance on the government to keep your marriage together, there is the knowledge that you could say or do something that will end this marriage. It makes you more thoughtful, more aware that you are in a relationship because you both want to be, not because of governmental intervention.

People work on their marriages more now, they work on their relationships, they donít sit back and just rely on the crutch of law. I see it with my siblings, my children, my friends, my employees and my colleges. My wife and I have a standing rule about Fridays, Friday is date night, we donít schedule things with friends or extended families on Friday nights, unless we both agree 100% on it.

If either one of us wants to go out, we do, even if the other would rather not. At first it was a bit of a struggle occasionally, but now we really look forward to it, sometimes we donít even go out, but spend the time together doing something else.

Friday nights have become, for us, something we really look forward to.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#204928 Jul 26, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Or we could talk to Newt Gingrich about remaining faithful to one's wedding vows.
Here we go again. Heterosexual failure and abuse is an excuse for homosexuals.

Do you think about what you write, or just barf it out???

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#204931 Jul 26, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know how ironic it is for you to make that argument while we are talking about no fault divorce???

The whole basis of no fault was that no unhappy couple should stay together for the sake of the kids. The claim was, it would be better for everyone to divorce. So divorce they do.

Marriage isn't holding couples together, and you claim kids have no part either.

You are up st/t creek without a paddle...
commonpeeps

Covina, CA

#204932 Jul 26, 2013
Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
BS..Polygamy is Pure greed..and not worthy of ANY respect.
Who the f are you to decide another persons reasons or beliefs. Who sold you on believing you can make choices for others? fool That's exactly what you're already whining about.
commonpeeps

Covina, CA

#204934 Jul 26, 2013
wtf wrote:
<quoted text>
most FETISHES have a poor track record
Not mine> Ooooohhhh Aaaahhhh!!!
commonpeeps

Covina, CA

#204940 Jul 26, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know how ironic it is for you to make that argument while we are talking about no fault divorce???
The whole basis of no fault was that no unhappy couple should stay together for the sake of the kids. The claim was, it would be better for everyone to divorce. So divorce they do.
Marriage isn't holding couples together, and you claim kids have no part either.
Back when 'marriage' had meaning, it was the man (well NOW I have to distinguish my wording,,,uh,the husband,,,uh, the male,,,uh, oh heck you figure it out,) the real man in a man woman real marriage, was the bread winner. The woman was usually the real mother and stayed at home and raised the children. If the couple decided to get a seperation, it was usually decided that the woman (no more definitions from me) usually did not have a means of support for the children so 'child support' was awarded to her to be paid by the husband/man. Since she usually was not qualified to go to work as having spent most years at home raising children 'spousal support' was at times awarded. Lots of marriages were held together simply for the sake of the childrens welfare and the hardships of splitting property/earnings etc. Once the children became self sufficient, then who gives a flying 'f'. ANY GOOD parent will care more for their childs welfare that for their own. With a test tube child no one can actually claim it as theirs. With two boys, two girls, ssm, bfgdg whatever marriage, NONE of that will apply. I can hardly wait for the first ssm union to go bust and see some serious whining about equality.
commonpeeps

Covina, CA

#204941 Jul 26, 2013
poof wrote:
<quoted text>I don't hate Mormons, I married one, my wife has been a Mormon all her life, her family all belongs to the Mormon Church.. Why do you hate LGBT? Its clear that you don't support the strugle for equality among the LGBT community. You show that each and every day when you disrespect the marriage of the Gays and Lesbians who post here. Why Frank, why??
Obviously doesn't get it.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#204942 Jul 26, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never claimed that kids do not hold marriages together. Where did you get that?

"A 2004 Stanford Business School study[26] compared outcomes in states that adopted no-fault divorce versus those that did not. It found:

--20% reduction in female suicide after 20 years, none for men
--33% reduction in domestic violence against women (after a rise in other states vs. a drop in no-fault states)
--Reduction in the domestic murder rate for women, none for men

Study authors argued that in part, men were encouraged to behave better because they knew it would be easy for their spouses to divorce and find another partner."
( https://gsbapps.stanford.edu/researchpapers/d... )

----------

The truth of the matter is that--at least according to "Wiki"--no fault divorce came about because court systems had gotten tired of couples coming in and perjuring themselves; lying about infidelity and cruelty, in order to obtain divorces.

The Stanford study shows that there was an additional impact that led to fewer instances of violence, especially toward women.

So, maybe no fault divorce wasn't just a convenient means of allowing unhappy couples to divorce without consequences as you suggest.
Big D

Los Angeles, CA

#204943 Jul 26, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I can read. You have tried but you have not convinced anyone that making it easier to divorce leads to less divorce.
Please provide evidence.
Easy there, queer bait. Find it yourself.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#204944 Jul 26, 2013
poof wrote:
<quoted text>I don't hate Mormons, I married one, my wife has been a Mormon all her life, her family all belongs to the Mormon Church.. Why do you hate LGBT? Its clear that you don't support the strugle for equality among the LGBT community. You show that each and every day when you disrespect the marriage of the Gays and Lesbians who post here. Why Frank, why??
Why would I lie. Why Jizzy why?

You confuse refusal to be PC with hate. Because you are stupid. And PC above all else.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#204945 Jul 26, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Or we could talk to Newt Gingrich about remaining faithful to one's wedding vows.
We can list sleazebags on both sides of this fence, what's the point?
Are you saying gay famous people are more moral than straight famous people? Is that what you're doing Bunky?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#204946 Jul 26, 2013
Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, right?
I didn't read "go pound sand" in the SCOTUS decisions, could you refer me to a link?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#204947 Jul 26, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I can read. You have tried but you have not convinced anyone that making it easier to divorce leads to less divorce.
Please provide evidence.
I never said it led to less divorce, find the post where I did.

You really need to learn to read, there are remedial English lessons you can take.

There are people that should not stay married, and those are the people that rely on the government to keep them together rather than work on their relationships.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#204948 Jul 26, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Easy there, queer bait. Find it yourself.
Great argument.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#204949 Jul 26, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Great argument.
Look at the city it comes from before you assume anything, there are people pretending to be others around here.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#204950 Jul 26, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
(Smiling) Point and counterpoint.....Jane you......awwww....you know the rest of that line.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#204951 Jul 26, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it led to less divorce, find the post where I did.
You really need to learn to read, there are remedial English lessons you can take.
There are people that should not stay married, and those are the people that rely on the government to keep them together rather than work on their relationships.
Oy vey. You said people are more likely to work on their marriages with no fault divorce. Statistics say otherwise. But as usual facts be damned! Big D has proclaimed it! Evidence? No need. Everyone knows it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waterford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lost keys Dec 18 Ugiftedgirl 1
For your information. F y I Dec 18 Ugiftedgirl 1
Lost or misplaced keys Dec 18 Ugiftedgirl 2
Review: Charlie's Market Dec 17 hyggbnn 1
room for rent Dec 5 nik_James 1
Bodies found in burned car (Sep '11) Nov 25 Ugiftedgirl 36
Rooftop burglaries Nov 21 Kisskathis 2
Waterford Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web