Would restructuring Corrections save ...

Would restructuring Corrections save money?

There are 9 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Jul 3, 2008, titled Would restructuring Corrections save money?. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

The honors usually paid to corrections employees in the first week of May during "Corrections Employees Week" rang hollow this year to many Vermont corrections employees.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

Arthur

Montpelier, VT

#1 Jul 3, 2008
Unfortunately, the legislature didn't bother giving any serious thought to these questions before agreeing to this ill advised restructuring plan. As for the Douglas administration they are champions of outsourcing public services to private business without any real regard for whether this makes any sense.

I hope Dave and the other DOC employees and VSEA don't let them forget what they have done, and point out quickly when the flaws in the plan become apparent, which I am certain they will.
Geico

Boston, MA

#2 Apr 6, 2009
This is the money you could be saving with Geico!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3400/326682624...
noodles

Albany, NY

#3 Apr 6, 2009
Of course! Are you kidding ?
First, you get rid of my former employer, Carmen Massimiano. He makes about $120 000 a year.
The jail is run as a business and it's main focus is filling the beds and enriching the lives of those who are likened unto predators.
If the Department of Corrections in Pittsfield were half as corrupt, I am sure we could save plenty of money.
They love the current drug laws.
Dbone7

United States

#4 Apr 6, 2009
What would you propose he makes?$40K??? The guy has been in the system for years and gets annual increases. His salary wouldn't make a dent to any remedy. Of COURSE its run as a business.

Did you actually work AT the jail? For the prisoners, it certainly doesn't seem like a good ol' time (nor should it be) for those in there. I'm sure for the career offenders, who are in there getting there "3 square" a day, its fine. But, last I checked, Pittsfield doesn't keep the long term type, right? Don't they ship them out of the county? I thought so.
noodles wrote:
First, you get rid of my former employer, Carmen Massimiano. He makes about $120 000 a year.
The jail is run as a business and it's main focus is filling the beds and enriching the lives of those who are likened unto predators.
If the Department of Corrections in Pittsfield were half as corrupt, I am sure we could save plenty of money.
Grim Reaper

South Hadley, MA

#6 Apr 7, 2009
noodles wrote:
Exactly what influence does the jail have when it comes down to apprehension and conviction,which is what fills the beds?
noodles

Albany, NY

#7 Apr 7, 2009
Grim Reaper wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly what influence does the jail have when it comes down to apprehension and conviction,which is what fills the beds?
That's all that the sheriff has is influence. He has been sheriff for neary thirty years. He is high sheriff of Massachusetts. He is a member of the Pittsfield school committee. Despite his well known moral shortcomings, he does regular check ins with "father" Gregory at St. Charles church.
Do I need to explain how it is that he would have influence with other local law enforcement agencies in Berkshire County?
Him and his boy's play by the rules set forth in Boston. That is, to run berkshire county the way that the state wants it run. And not the way that the people would run it. In return, his people are taken care of. They know this. They know the game.
What they fail to realize is that they are not intelligent but merely cunning. They are being exposed for the charlatan's that they are. They are far gone from justice. Collectively they are unable to uphold the rule of law in a fair and just manner. They lie, cheat and steal in order to enrich themselves. They think that they are immune to the laws with which they have been entrusted to enforce on the people.
I spent four years working in that jail. I cleary saw that they were not interested in helping people but in helping themselves. So yes, there is plenty of room for restructuring within the D.O.C.

You start by actually firing corrupt law enforcement individuals. This is a start. The rule of law has to be enforced across the board. They are not immune to the laws.
They know who I am. They are scared to death of people like me. Because I do not live in fear of people who operate in a fear based way.
In the near future, the ante will be raised on these people and they will react in a predictable manner. They will rely on their current mode of thinking to keep the reigns of power to themselves and it will be their own undoing.
I await the day that they come for people like me.Because they are just pawns in the battle of the souls of men. But they mistakenly think that they are the kings and queens. They don't know any better. They are fool's.
My message to them is, come and get me when you are ready.
Corrugated

South Hadley, MA

#9 Apr 7, 2009
noodles wrote:
<quoted text>That's all that the sheriff has is influence. He has been sheriff for neary thirty years. He is high sheriff of Massachusetts. He is a member of the Pittsfield school committee. Despite his well known moral shortcomings, he does regular check ins with "father" Gregory at St. Charles church.
Do I need to explain how it is that he would have influence with other local law enforcement agencies in Berkshire County?
Him and his boy's play by the rules set forth in Boston. That is, to run berkshire county the way that the state wants it run. And not the way that the people would run it. In return, his people are taken care of. They know this. They know the game.
What they fail to realize is that they are not intelligent but merely cunning. They are being exposed for the charlatan's that they are. They are far gone from justice. Collectively they are unable to uphold the rule of law in a fair and just manner. They lie, cheat and steal in order to enrich themselves. They think that they are immune to the laws with which they have been entrusted to enforce on the people.
I spent four years working in that jail. I cleary saw that they were not interested in helping people but in helping themselves. So yes, there is plenty of room for restructuring within the D.O.C.
You start by actually firing corrupt law enforcement individuals. This is a start. The rule of law has to be enforced across the board. They are not immune to the laws.
They know who I am. They are scared to death of people like me. Because I do not live in fear of people who operate in a fear based way.
In the near future, the ante will be raised on these people and they will react in a predictable manner. They will rely on their current mode of thinking to keep the reigns of power to themselves and it will be their own undoing.
I await the day that they come for people like me.Because they are just pawns in the battle of the souls of men. But they mistakenly think that they are the kings and queens. They don't know any better. They are fool's.
My message to them is, come and get me when you are ready.
Cuckoo
concerned citizen

New York, NY

#10 Apr 7, 2009
Dbone7 wrote:
What would you propose he makes?$40K??? The guy has been in the system for years and gets annual increases. His salary wouldn't make a dent to any remedy. Of COURSE its run as a business.
Did you actually work AT the jail? For the prisoners, it certainly doesn't seem like a good ol' time (nor should it be) for those in there. I'm sure for the career offenders, who are in there getting there "3 square" a day, its fine. But, last I checked, Pittsfield doesn't keep the long term type, right? Don't they ship them out of the county? I thought so.
<quoted text>
the issue is that he doesnt actually do any work. And he abuses the use of the other jail employees. Seems that "Butch"(he hates it when you call him that) takes the jail employees off site to go to his house in Pitts or the cape to do repair work at the expense of the state.
noodles

Albany, NY

#11 Apr 7, 2009
concerned citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
the issue is that he doesnt actually do any work. And he abuses the use of the other jail employees. Seems that "Butch"(he hates it when you call him that) takes the jail employees off site to go to his house in Pitts or the cape to do repair work at the expense of the state.
Thank you for your post. I'm sure my direct experiences are just the tip of the iceberg in regards to their abuses.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waterbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gentlewolf released on bail (Jun '07) Oct '17 amen 3
Peg's Pickup Bad Service (Dec '11) Oct '15 Kim 2
News Doug Racine out at Vermont Agency of Human Serv... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Anne O Toole 2
News Dummerston skeptical of solar deal (Feb '14) Aug '14 Bob Story 4
News Morrisville woman to head Stowe Land Trust (Nov '13) Dec '13 Bagfasher 2
News New Vt. psychiatric hospital under construction... (Jan '13) Apr '13 Anonymous 23
News Police: Couple dealt drugs in front of toddler (Oct '12) Oct '12 salina lyn 1

Waterbury Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waterbury Mortgages