Vt. public safety chief won't release...

Vt. public safety chief won't release speed video

There are 73 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Nov 24, 2010, titled Vt. public safety chief won't release speed video. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

The commissioner of the Vermont Department of Public Safety is refusing to release video of a state trooper going 133 miles per hour on Interstate 91.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
estanson

Windsor, VT

#61 Dec 2, 2010
in advance of typo police (admit you would especially check your typing given you are the typing police...I am only saying the same thing about REAL police):
its standards and
zero point SQUUUAAAAAATTTT
Joe Shlabotnik

White River Junction, VT

#62 Dec 2, 2010
estanson wrote:
in advance of typo police (admit you would especially check your typing given you are the typing police...I am only saying the same thing about REAL police):
its standards and
zero point SQUUUAAAAAATTTT
At this point your spelling/typos are the least of your issues. You have gone from indignation about a cop caught violating speeding laws, who you think because he is paid with tax dollars entitles you to access to employment records, to wimpering about tailgaters who you could have lodged a formal complaint about, but apparently did not.
It is always amusing to watch a know-it-all's arguments unravel like a cheap shirt.
estanson

Windsor, VT

#63 Dec 2, 2010
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
<quoted text>
At this point your spelling/typos are the least of your issues. You have gone from indignation about a cop caught violating speeding laws, who you think because he is paid with tax dollars entitles you to access to employment records, to wimpering about tailgaters who you could have lodged a formal complaint about, but apparently did not.
It is always amusing to watch a know-it-all's arguments unravel like a cheap shirt.
what arguments?
that police should slow down?
that they should follow the laws they enforce?

there is no argument there...
I would think everyone agrees...
you dont?
Joe Shlabotnik

White River Junction, VT

#64 Dec 2, 2010
estanson wrote:
<quoted text>
what arguments?
You starting point.....that you have some entitlement to involve yourself in an employees due process because they are a public employee.That argument. Remember that one????
Perhaps it has dawned on you that it just ain't so, which is why you now try to obfuscate the issues with posts like this most recent one.
Tommy

Suncook, NH

#65 Dec 2, 2010
who cares
estanson

Windsor, VT

#66 Dec 2, 2010
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
<quoted text>
You starting point.....that you have some entitlement to involve yourself in an employees due process because they are a public employee.That argument. Remember that one????
Perhaps it has dawned on you that it just ain't so, which is why you now try to obfuscate the issues with posts like this most recent one.
trying to figure if i was talking to a cop...see that part?
are you since you are so offended?
its the clasic test.
Joe Shlabotnik

Bellows Falls, VT

#67 Dec 2, 2010
estanson wrote:
<quoted text>
trying to figure if i was talking to a cop...see that part?
are you since you are so offended?
its the clasic test.
If I WERE a cop and "Hug Me im made of Bark" flew by me at 100mph, I'd probably let him know he needed to be more careful and to slow it down. If I WERE a cop and you passed me doing say 10 or 11mph over the posted limit I'd pull you over, check your license, registration, insurance card, make sure all your lights were working,check tires and their pressure, glass for breaks, exhaust, brakes and body for rust, horn and wipers, then ask you to step out of the car. I'd write a ticket for speeding, racing and joyriding then cuff ya and hit ya with my flashlight.
And by the way sir, may I interest you in a ticket to the policemans ball???
Hug Me im made of bark

Middletown Springs, VT

#68 Dec 2, 2010
estanson wrote:
<quoted text>
people are held to higher standerds in the company car as opposed to their own vehicle...
surely you have heard someone fired for speeding in a com[pany car...I have even heard of firing for excessive parking tickets...andtthis is the private sector, no pledge to the public to protect them...
also, when you enforce the law you must obey the law...
its a matter of legitimacy...
like how attorney have to avoid even the appearance of impropriety for the sake of the law...
attorney are held to a higher standard...
ask calhoun...
so should the police...
it just boggles my mind that someone will deny you the right to see a video made with public equipment and tell you everything was taken care of and you just take that answer and go home...
guess what thats called....
glad I asked you about your "declaration" becaue it turns out its based on zero point sqaut!
if you want to write $50 tix for no blinker you gotta USE YOUR BLINKER...
Yes - you're finally right about something; I do take that answer and go home. Why would I think otherwise. This entire matter could have never existed, if not for the fact the Commissioner of Public Safety was the one who the cop passed. He could have easily gave him a thumbs up and none of us would even know about it....or he could have been a little upset and spoken to the cop and said hey knock it off - and none of us would even know about it.....or, he could have charged him with a violation and done a press release thus letting everyone know about it. Now why oh wise one, would the Commissioner of Public Safety choose option #3, and then secretly pat the cop on the back. THINK ABOUT IT. You are never going to find out about what he was disciplined with - there are such a thing as personnel policies and procedures, individual rights and not to mention a union. None of what happened that day involves you in any way, shape or form - regardless of whether or not you drive on the highways - otherwise I hate to tell you, but you're getting victimized a thousand times every second. The only thing you get to know, is what he got for legal action since that is public knowledge. Period. WOW. You must really flip out when you watch Dukes of Hazzard - damn....take some estrogen already. How's that for zero point sqaut.
Hug Me im made of bark

Middletown Springs, VT

#69 Dec 2, 2010
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
<quoted text>
If I WERE a cop and "Hug Me im made of Bark" flew by me at 100mph, I'd probably let him know he needed to be more careful and to slow it down. If I WERE a cop and you passed me doing say 10 or 11mph over the posted limit I'd pull you over, check your license, registration, insurance card, make sure all your lights were working,check tires and their pressure, glass for breaks, exhaust, brakes and body for rust, horn and wipers, then ask you to step out of the car. I'd write a ticket for speeding, racing and joyriding then cuff ya and hit ya with my flashlight.
And by the way sir, may I interest you in a ticket to the policemans ball???
LOL - Don't forget to examine the tape months later, you may have missed the fact that his registration sticker wasn't properly affixed to his rear license plate. GO GET EM!
Joe Shlabotnik

Charlestown, NH

#70 Dec 2, 2010
Hug Me im made of bark wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL - Don't forget to examine the tape months later, you may have missed the fact that his registration sticker wasn't properly affixed to his rear license plate. GO GET EM!
Absolutely. On the way back to my "squadcar" I broke his tail-light with my nightstick. Several months after this ticket I will send him another one for that. He won't mind.He stands for justice above all else. Fundamental fairness is a concept he does not understand so he will not complain let alone appeal.
I'm off duty in 80 minutes. Want to see if your Crown Victoria can beat mine???
estanson

Windsor, VT

#71 Dec 3, 2010
"Fundamental fairness is a concept he does not understand"

"If I WERE a cop and "Hug Me im made of Bark" flew by me at 100mph, I'd probably let him know he needed to be more careful and to slow it down. If I WERE a cop and you passed me doing say 10 or 11mph over the posted limit I'd pull you over, check your license, registration, insurance card, make sure all your lights were working,check tires and their pressure, glass for breaks, exhaust, brakes and body for rust, horn and wipers, then ask you to step out of the car. I'd write a ticket for speeding, racing and joyriding then cuff ya and hit ya with my flashlight.
And by the way sir, may I interest you in a ticket to the policemans ball???"

exactly. it would be funny if it weren't TRUE.

the truth is that the video is the only thing that keeps folks honest...thats why folks want to see it...
no video and we would never have heard of this...

maybe one day you will see webcam video of route 103 on the news and be proud of me...
Joe Shlabotnik

White River Junction, VT

#72 Dec 3, 2010
estanson wrote:
no video and we would never have heard of this...
Another example of where you are 100% incorrect about your facts. The video was not the reason we know about this. The reason was because this cop's superior officer witnessed the event and took action The very guy your paranoid about conducting some sort of cover up. This is why normal citizens do not have the right to just "bull" right into a public employees employment related discipline. They do not have the skills to conduct a fair assessment of the cirumstance let alone dispense with appropriate discipline.
If you witness misconduct by any public employee whether you tape it or not I hope you report it to proper authorities so it can be dealt with correctly.Then you can claim to be a good citizen, instead of making unsubstantiated claims of misconduct that paint a whole group of dedicated employees with the same black tar brush.
estanson

Windsor, VT

#73 Dec 3, 2010
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
<quoted text>
Another example of where you are 100% incorrect about your facts. The video was not the reason we know about this. The reason was because this cop's superior officer witnessed the event and took action The very guy your paranoid about conducting some sort of cover up. This is why normal citizens do not have the right to just "bull" right into a public employees employment related discipline. They do not have the skills to conduct a fair assessment of the cirumstance let alone dispense with appropriate discipline.
If you witness misconduct by any public employee whether you tape it or not I hope you report it to proper authorities so it can be dealt with correctly.Then you can claim to be a good citizen, instead of making unsubstantiated claims of misconduct that paint a whole group of dedicated employees with the same black tar brush.
I am suggesting that MAYBE if there was no video that could have some day come back to bite the supervisor, he would have looked the other way...

just as you suggested you would do...

I am also suggesting that reports as you suggest dont do zero point unless there is a tape...
thinking tasers, pepper spray and and almost every other reason we have heard about bad cops this year...
no tape, no discipline...

by extension, if the public cannot view the tape, there is something wrong....

my guess is that when passing, this trooper changed lanes wildly with no signal...
it would have been a slew of different charges if it were a regular moe, and they know if they show the video we would see the hypocrisy...

in short,$1,000 if it were a moe would be a slap on the wrists...
the fact that public Servants should be held to a higher standard means it should be MORE, not less...

but in the end, it makes little difference in my day...
unless the troopers really hurt someone with their shenanegans...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waterbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gentlewolf released on bail (Jun '07) Oct '17 amen 3
News Doug Racine out at Vermont Agency of Human Serv... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Anne O Toole 2
News Dummerston skeptical of solar deal (Feb '14) Aug '14 Bob Story 4
News Morrisville woman to head Stowe Land Trust (Nov '13) Dec '13 Bagfasher 2
News New Vt. psychiatric hospital under construction... (Jan '13) Apr '13 Anonymous 23
News Police: Couple dealt drugs in front of toddler (Oct '12) Oct '12 salina lyn 1
News Marino Bartolomei Joins TD Bank as Store Manage... (Nov '11) Dec '11 banker 2

Waterbury Jobs

Personal Finance

Waterbury Mortgages