Vt. public safety chief won't release...

Vt. public safety chief won't release speed video

There are 73 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Nov 24, 2010, titled Vt. public safety chief won't release speed video. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

The commissioner of the Vermont Department of Public Safety is refusing to release video of a state trooper going 133 miles per hour on Interstate 91.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Hug me Im made of bark

Cuttingsville, VT

#1 Nov 24, 2010
Good Grief - let this issue die a dignified death. It's been beaten to death. Cops speed - everyone knows it - and in this case the cop was speeding at Spaceballs Ludicrous Speed.....to which he got a very large fine for - two to three times more than anyone else would, so lets move on. The peaceful libs of this state are showing their filthy hypocrisy with their fervent pursuit to see this guy hung in the gallows....all over a speeding violation. I can imagine in my head what it looks like to see a car going 133 on the interstate - I don't need to see this video to verify my mind is working. Fine is done...case is closed....move on....nothing to see here.
TNB

Memphis, TN

#2 Nov 24, 2010
Hug me Im made of bark wrote:
Good Grief - let this issue die a dignified death. It's been beaten to death. Cops speed - everyone knows it - and in this case the cop was speeding at Spaceballs Ludicrous Speed.....to which he got a very large fine for - two to three times more than anyone else would, so lets move on. The peaceful libs of this state are showing their filthy hypocrisy with their fervent pursuit to see this guy hung in the gallows....all over a speeding violation. I can imagine in my head what it looks like to see a car going 133 on the interstate - I don't need to see this video to verify my mind is working. Fine is done...case is closed....move on....nothing to see here.
Great Post!
Joe Shlabotnik

White River Junction, VT

#3 Nov 24, 2010
Maybe they think he was going faster and that was covered up!!!!
Maybe they think he was going slower and is not guilty, a victim of overzealous police work???
Anonymous

Bellows Falls, VT

#4 Nov 24, 2010
If I had been going that fast I would have been arrested on the spot and thrown in jail. Why is it that police always get away with everything that civilians get in major trouble for?
Yup

Somersworth, NH

#5 Nov 24, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
If I had been going that fast I would have been arrested on the spot and thrown in jail. Why is it that police always get away with everything that civilians get in major trouble for?
Either join the police force or suck it up and quit whining.
flat lander

United States

#6 Nov 24, 2010
The car computer "on board" info should include the past week /10c\days of records including speed for warranty purposes if it was a up to date car. Maybe it is time to check these out weekly for the troopers files and our safety. My wreck would self destruct over 75mph. In Vt it is the salt that ruins our rides but in salt lake they ride on it not through it like here. Is that the trooper assigned to being Shumlin's chauffeur
WOW

Bellows Falls, VT

#7 Nov 24, 2010
Anonymous posting brings out our best, eh?
Fox News Robots at large
Tim

Essex Junction, VT

#8 Nov 24, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
I'm not sure what state you live in, but DUI#2 nets a lot of people a fine of maybe $500.00 and no jail time. If you think average Joe would have gone to jail for this, you are sadly mistaken.
Hug me Im made of bark

Cuttingsville, VT

#9 Nov 24, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
Oh wwwaaaaaa - shut up. You most definitely would not have been thrown in jail. In the end you would have probably got a $300 fine max. This can be seen in any weekly court log - no one goes to jail for straight speeding on the interstate. This cop got a $1000 fine, and gets to have this mar written about every couple of months so morons like you can come on and verbally throw up your jealousy issues that you didn't pass the police exams. Suck it up.
Hug me Im made of bark

Cuttingsville, VT

#10 Nov 24, 2010
flat lander wrote:
The car computer "on board" info should include the past week /10c\days of records including speed for warranty purposes if it was a up to date car. Maybe it is time to check these out weekly for the troopers files and our safety. My wreck would self destruct over 75mph. In Vt it is the salt that ruins our rides but in salt lake they ride on it not through it like here. Is that the trooper assigned to being Shumlin's chauffeur
Oh hey yeah - that is a GREAT idea! Just kidding. It's a stupid idea. So basically - you have four stupid complaints here (speeding, your car's a piece of junk, corrosion and a political slap)- and we all know you're just dying to think the state cops are reading it. First off - they're not....they don't care what "flatlander" thinks. Secondly - no one else cares either. Bye Bye.
In Afghanistan

Columbus, OH

#11 Nov 24, 2010
<quoted text>
Oh wwwaaaaaa - shut up. You most definitely would not have been thrown in jail. In the end you would have probably got a $300 fine max. This can be seen in any weekly court log - no one goes to jail for straight speeding on the interstate. This cop got a $1000 fine, and gets to have this mar written about every couple of months so morons like you can come on and verbally throw up your jealousy issues that you didn't pass the police exams. Suck it up.
Great post. Real funny, and accurately true.
LawyerCalhoun

Chester, VT

#12 Nov 25, 2010
It would be useful to see the in car tape, to see if, in addition to excessive speed, there was also other possible violations. Possible other violations would include elements of reckless driving, such as blasting past other vehicles going half the speed, passing on the right, etc.

133 on a wide open highway is bad, but if it was in traffic, much worse.
Hug me Im made of bark

Cuttingsville, VT

#13 Nov 25, 2010
LawyerCalhoun wrote:
It would be useful to see the in car tape, to see if, in addition to excessive speed, there was also other possible violations. Possible other violations would include elements of reckless driving, such as blasting past other vehicles going half the speed, passing on the right, etc.
Some lawyer. So you would advocate spending the time and money to REOPEN a civil speeding case? With all the other more serious things that occur around Vermont? This crap is two years old now - WHO CARES! LOL. Sure - lets sock this cop with a $100 passing ticket too....that will show him. Maybe in 2014 we can pull satellite imagery and see if he used his blinker during a lane change. Are you sure you're name isn't Lawyer Heinrich Himmler? I thought you libs didn't like fascist police states? Oops - sorry I forgot....you do....as long as it fits your own personal agenda. FILTHY HYPOCRITE.
SICK OF IT

Brattleboro, VT

#14 Nov 25, 2010
Just another way the Judicial system works. Sad. Needs to be revamped and hopefully soon. As for the speeding, a regular citizen could of seen jail time and a large fine, as well as Crash for Endangerment, which would of been added as well. So to say this should be swept under a rug, is totally wrong. The law is suppose to be equal to all, and it is a far shot from equal. He knew better and their is no excuse , PERIOD. He was driving in a careless and reckless manner and could of killed someone or even himself. What would of happened should a large animal of jumped out at him? A disaster I am sure we would not like to think about but that is a reality.
No he deserves the same as a ordinary citizen.
Joe Shlabotnik

Grantham, NH

#15 Nov 25, 2010
LawyerCalhoun wrote:
I knew it!!!!! Another cop cover-up and we missed it. We the people should demand a re-opening of the case and a thorough public vetting. Mr. Blake......release the hounds a dastardly deed has been done to our great state by those foreign intruders known as liberal flatlanders who stock the judiciary.Passing on the right, possibly without a turn signal too. Scandalous para-military types that those lead footed fuzz are.
SICK OF YOU

Cuttingsville, VT

#16 Nov 25, 2010
SICK OF IT wrote:
Just another way the Judicial system works. Sad. Needs to be revamped and hopefully soon. As for the speeding, a regular citizen could of seen jail time and a large fine, as well as Crash for Endangerment, which would of been added as well. So to say this should be swept under a rug, is totally wrong. The law is suppose to be equal to all, and it is a far shot from equal. He knew better and their is no excuse , PERIOD. He was driving in a careless and reckless manner and could of killed someone or even himself. What would of happened should a large animal of jumped out at him? A disaster I am sure we would not like to think about but that is a reality.
No he deserves the same as a ordinary citizen.
What a joke. If you think he deserves the same as a ordinary citizen, then the state would cut the fine he did already get in half. People absolutely do not go to jail for speeding offenses on an interstate. They get fines. About the same time this trooper got in trouble for this offense, another guy from Oregon was clocked going 141 in a rent a car on the Interstate in Rockingham. He didn't go to jail....he got a fine - and that is it. I don't see outrage when articles talk about children who are raped and molested on here - but oh no....a cop sped on the interstate - lets have a public hanging. You just worry about your OWN speeding ticket you likely have a beef with - and let others worry about their own. This case is closed.....it is dead....there is no more damage to be done by continually exhuming it for the entertainment of idiots like yourself with an axe to grind.
LawyerCalhoun

Chester, VT

#17 Nov 27, 2010
Rather than additional tickets, I think viewing the tape would shed light on whether the trooper has the appropriate temperament and fitness for such employment. How much danger was he creating in his speeding incident? Or don't you care?

I, for one, do not want undisciplined cowboys, either in uniform or outside of uniform, on our highways. The job of the police is to protect the public, not endanger it.
Joe Shlabotnik

Grantham, NH

#18 Nov 27, 2010
LawyerCalhoun wrote:
Rather than additional tickets, I think viewing the tape would shed light on whether the trooper has the appropriate temperament and fitness for such employment. How much danger was he creating in his speeding incident? Or don't you care?
I, for one, do not want undisciplined cowboys, either in uniform or outside of uniform, on our highways. The job of the police is to protect the public, not endanger it.
It's not your decision whether he is fit or not. And that has already been dealt with by his superiors. It is not a question of whether you care or not about his temperment as you are not in a position to judge it. And it does not matter two hoo hoos whether you think this particular trooper is "undisciplined" or even a "cowboy". It has been dealt with judicially and in the employment arena. As Yogi said, "it ain't over,till it's over" and guess what. It's over!!
Hug me Im made of Bark

Springfield, VT

#19 Nov 27, 2010
LawyerCalhoun wrote:
Great. Pop the video in and watch. VROOOOM - there goes a speeding car. Now - let us decide from seeing this speeding car if the operator is fit and that he has an appropriate temperament. LOL. Do you really think that his superiors didn't sit this guy down and give him a chewing and a great big check mark on his yearly evaluation? Obviously they did, because if they weren't interested in such things, this whole speeding issue would have vanished into the wind - no one would have even known about it. The guy sped in his car. He got a huge fine and disciplinary action. Judging a cops character/temperament from a picture of his car is like judging your legal abilities from a video of you reading a law book in a library. Did you earn your JD at ITT-Tech? LOL.
LawyerCalhoun

Chester, VT

#20 Nov 28, 2010
Joe, all public officials are ultimately responsible to the public. If the "superiors" making such decisions are making them poorly, we have the right to know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Waterbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Peg's Pickup Bad Service (Dec '11) Oct '15 Kim 2
News Good stuff? Depends on what you're looking for (Mar '08) Jul '15 Joe 2
News Gentlewolf released on bail (Jun '07) Apr '15 Shocked with pain... 2
News Doug Racine out at Vermont Agency of Human Serv... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Anne O Toole 2
News Dummerston skeptical of solar deal (Feb '14) Aug '14 Bob Story 4
News Morrisville woman to head Stowe Land Trust (Nov '13) Dec '13 Bagfasher 2
News New Vt. psychiatric hospital under construction... (Jan '13) Apr '13 Anonymous 23
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Waterbury Mortgages