Man beaten to death in Reno; 2 arrested

Nov 11, 2011 Full story: Reno Gazette-Journal 24

Jeremie Johnson, 21, and Codie Walker, 20, each face one count of open murder in the death of Ashton Pacheco, 20, who police say was battered by the suspects Wednesday evening.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jeff with a J

Reno, NV

#1 Nov 12, 2011
These two young men will learn very quickly about the harsh conditions and what it is like to spend a long time behind bars in Carson City, or if they are lucky in Lovelock.

Is there any reason to beat another human to the point he dies from the trauma you inflict. none that I can think of... if he 'wronged' you then let the police and the courts handle the matter, never take the law into your own hands.

Of course this might have been an 'accident'... yeah RIGHT.
Jeannie

Reno, NV

#2 Nov 12, 2011
No accident Ashton was a kid and a good kid who did not deserve this...My heart is with his family...
Slap

United States

#3 Nov 12, 2011
ashton, you are deeply missed...justice will be served.
robbie natalie

Sparks, NV

#4 Nov 14, 2011
Ashton was more than a kid he was a great father, a life long friends to us and a uncle to our child. This should have never happened, just at the prime of his life n finally getting it started his life was robbed n wrongfully taken from him.he also was a great brother to his little sisters and now they dont have there big brother to look after them or his daughter to watch her grow up. This wass completely bullshit and to say those two lil boys that did this should get the death penatiy for the life they took from us.
Ashton we miss you so very much and love you, and we'll see you someday again
Becca

Reno, NV

#5 Mar 3, 2012
Ashton you'll be deeply missed and never forgotten Those punks will get whats coming to them for taking your life away from the ones you love and that loved you most. Hope we see eachother on the otherside someday I heart you ashton
jenni

Daly City, CA

#6 Apr 9, 2012
People sometimes never know that u can take lifes away for just getting beat to death or by just getting shot once can kill u
skye

United States

#7 Apr 14, 2012
Codie isnt a damn murderer,why dont someone ask the victim's "girlfriend"why she waited SIX hours 2 call the ambulance
richard

Reno, NV

#8 Sep 20, 2012
i hope the homie does well. it sucks how it happened. even aston was the homie.
dawnel

El Monte, CA

#9 Oct 10, 2012
What an absolute waste of three young lives. I personally know both codie and jeremy an have never had a bax experiencefrom either. Im so sorry for ashton and im certain death was not intended. Jerdmy and codie volunteered the rest of there lives behind bars all behind some little girl who bazically is a liar a cheat...a coniving two faced person. You should be chargex to jaimie u set him up...u planned it....sure you may have stoped it too but then you refused to call him an ambulance. Your a horrible person. A love triangle fueled by a selfish evil little girl. Good luck boys. I wish youd had made befter choices.
Victim 4

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Oct 17, 2012
dawnel wrote:
What an absolute waste of three young lives. I personally know both codie and jeremy an have never had a bax experiencefrom either. Im so sorry for ashton and im certain death was not intended. Jerdmy and codie volunteered the rest of there lives behind bars all behind some little girl who bazically is a liar a cheat...a coniving two faced person. You should be chargex to jaimie u set him up...u planned it....sure you may have stoped it too but then you refused to call him an ambulance. Your a horrible person. A love triangle fueled by a selfish evil little girl. Good luck boys. I wish youd had made befter choices.
This commenter has a very good grasp of the facts of this case. The girl involved in this case is a selfish evil person who demonstrated her lack of maturity and caring for anyone but herself during her testimony t this trial. I would have been more comfortable seeing her convicted of first degree murder than the boys involved. She simply drove the nails in the coffin deeper for those two boys by her selfish hateful attitude. With friends like that who needs enemies!
Jen

Bend, OR

#11 Oct 23, 2012
Victim 4 wrote:
<quoted text>This commenter has a very good grasp of the facts of this case. The girl involved in this case is a selfish evil person who demonstrated her lack of maturity and caring for anyone but herself during her testimony t this trial. I would have been more comfortable seeing her convicted of first degree murder than the boys involved. She simply drove the nails in the coffin deeper for those two boys by her selfish hateful attitude. With friends like that who needs enemies!
These people are great^.
Codie is not some cold blooded killer. I love you Codie <3
Victim 4

Reno, NV

#12 Oct 24, 2012
Jen wrote:
<quoted text>
These people are great^.
Codie is not some cold blooded killer. I love you Codie <3
Even though Codie and Jeremie didn't intend to kill
Ashton, testimony in court showed they went to the Butler house to fight him, and unfortunatly the wounds they inflicted ended in Ashtons death. The law is very clear that when you are committing a crime (assault/battery) and the victim dies from his wounds, it is felony first degree murder. Plus there was a burlery conviction as well, even though they were invited into the residence. All of the mitigating factors added up to a felony first degree murder conviction. It's not like on TV! The road to hell is paved with good intentions, but unfortunatly these boys made horrible decisions and now are convicted murderers. I wish the law could climb into a persons heart and brain and judge intent but it really cant. I totally believe that Ms. Butler should have sat right along side Codie and Jeremie though, as she was the major instigator of this whole thing. Her testimony, as well as the other "friends" of Codie and Jeremie ensured there would be no mercy and the law would be followed to the letter. If I was on the jury, I would have made the same decision with the facts presented. I think if even one of the boys had taken the stand, and apoligized and taken responsiblity for thier actions, then the conviction would have been volutary manslaugheter. They're lawyers did them no favors either. Even after all the testimony, I dont think the jurors knew squat about either of these young men. All they had to go by to judge this case was the "circus freak" witnesses that were supposedly Codies and Jeremies friends, and they hurt them way more than helped them. I guess when your young it's cool to cop an attitude to authority and try to lie and deny thinking your helping your friends and hurting the prosecuters case. Anyone who was there with an ounce of sense saw right through the BS and was properly offended by the conduct of the hostile wittness's. This by all rights should have been an easy case for the defense lawyers, but because of the testimony from Codies and Jememie's friends, and lack of them taking the stand, is what totally sunk them. The only hope they have now, is that thier previous records be clean and crime free. Otherwise, I'm betting on life without parole. This whole thing is sad from A-Z. I just hope this brings closeure of some kind to the young mans family that was the victim. You never see the consequences of stupidy on television. It glorifies violence and they never show what really happens. Thats just my opinion. After this trial, I read that the Butler girl at the eye of all this, actually was thrown in jail for 5 days for fleeing the court in the middle of her testimony during a break! She should have gotton 5 years for that, not five days. It was evident she didn't care one bit about those two boys. If I could bring one lesson from all this and give it to anyone reading this, it would be dont do drugs, and choose very carefully your friends! One stupid person/instigator can make you a murderer in the time it takes to take a breath. Mercy is not built into the law. It's a machine and if your caught in the gears it will crush you. HOW SAD.
Victim4

Reno, NV

#13 Oct 29, 2012
skye wrote:
Codie isnt a damn murderer,why dont someone ask the victim's "girlfriend"why she waited SIX hours 2 call the ambulance
Ashton died as a direct result of the savage beating he took at the hands of Codie Walker and Jeremie Johnson, period. He had 2 skull fractures and a sub-dural hematoma, caused from his brain slamming against the inside of his skull, which caused a blood clot which the coroner said weighed 2 pounds! That was after the brain surgeon removed one almost as large. Sometimes a brain injury like Ashtons can take up to five days to kill you. Im sorry, but yes, Codie and Jeremie are killers. Ashton did not even fight back according to witness testimony. Again, the law states clearly that if you inflict injury on someone and they die because of it you have commited felony murder. Even if the ambulance had NEVER been called, or even if the surgeon made a mistake that killed him (which he did not) they would still be guilty ofmurder. That is the law. Further, i doubt you can come up with one good reason Ashton deserved a savage beatdown that killed him. It wasnt a few love taps. Testimony said even with immediate treatment he had very poor chances of survival. sorry , but a jury of 14 people who didnt even know the two defendants decided it was murder according to the law and facts presented. Not premeditated murder but first degree felony murder. They intended to assault/batter him and in the process delivered lethal injuries=murder. Maybe if you had sat through the trial and heard ALL the evidence your attitude towards those young men would change.
My only regret is that the Ms Butler wasnt being tried right next to them and who knows, now that Cody and Jeremie are going to prison maybe they wont protect her anymore and she will be implicated and tried also!
crystal

Reno, NV

#14 Nov 1, 2012
all of you who know codie,know that hes not a killer and hes been through alot lately.its hard for me to see him going through this.and for those of you who dont know codie shut your fuckin trap.im sick of hearing he got what he deserved.if any of you have ever been in a fight this could just as easly have been you locked up.it was an accident.and also stop blaming jamie you dont know the situation,she has been going through alot too you werent there so you have know idea what was going through her head neither do i but i know how much she cares about codie and she would never have done anything to purposly put him where hes at.another thing i would love to know why the who killed codies mom isnt locked up.where the fuck is that justice.
Victim 4

Reno, NV

#15 Nov 1, 2012
crystal wrote:
all of you who know codie,know that hes not a killer and hes been through alot lately.its hard for me to see him going through this.and for those of you who dont know codie shut your fuckin trap.im sick of hearing he got what he deserved.if any of you have ever been in a fight this could just as easly have been you locked up.it was an accident.and also stop blaming jamie you dont know the situation,she has been going through alot too you werent there so you have know idea what was going through her head neither do i but i know how much she cares about codie and she would never have done anything to purposly put him where hes at.another thing i would love to know why the who killed codies mom isnt locked up.where the fuck is that justice.
Hey Crystal..I do know what I was talking about! I was REQUIRED to sit on that trial, from day one to day six, as well as the verdict reading. I most certainly do know what happend in great detail. I saw every single bit of evidence and every moment of testimony. It was very detailed, long and extensive. Your ideas of "accident" do not even apply to what happened. An accident is when you fall asleep driving a car and run off a road. An accident is when you slip and fall. Emailing someone because they said you were lame, and then emailing the person back telling them when they next see them they are going to beat them, isn't an accident. Then, the next time they did know Ashton was there, they went to fight him at Ms. Butlers residence. She wouldn't answer the door because in her own words she knew they were going to "beat" him. They then used sutrifuge to trick her into answering her phone by going to Mandi Christies house and calling from there. Ms. Butler gave them permission to "come over, get your dog and leave". THey didn't do this. As soon as she answered the door, they pushed her aside, RAN up the stairs to her room where Ashoton was, and delivered a furious beat down! That was Ms. Butlers testimony. Ashton didn't even try to fight back but rolled into a ball in the corner to try and minimize the blows from his two assialants. By going over to her house to beat him up, that is considered burglery the moment they pushed her aside and ran up the stairs into her bedroom. Coming over to her house to commit a crime (assault and battery) made it First Degree Felony Murder. This wasnt a "Heat of the moment crime" but they planned on fighting him when they saw him next. THier emails even proved it. They used thier knees as weapons, and literally stomped his head repeatedly..Codie punched him in the head repeatedly as well as Johnson. The police testified that Johnson was beating Ashton, and Codie was "excited because he wanted to take his turn". Thier words, not mine. Stomping a persons head repeatedly until the person has 2 skull fractures is NOT an accident. They may not have meant for him to die, but in this country, that doesnt matter. They did it in the commission of a crime and that makes it first degree murder. Dont get mad at me, I didn't write the law. If it were your kid, mother, father, brother that was beaten without mercy and died from his wounds, wouldnt you want justice to be done? Our nation is a nation of laws, and we cannot allow crimes such as those to go unpunished. All through the trial, not one of those boys showed one speck of remorse. Thier attorneys arguments were petty, trivial and lies. They said they would prove the two boys beat up Ashton because he threw thier dog against the wall. That NEVER happened. The defense never mentioned that, and MS. Butler testified she never even saw the dog up there before, during or after the beatdown. Further, the dog is still alive and has no injuries. They objected to every single statement only to be over-ruled...Thier attorneys proved nothing and seemed to not care one iota about the victim.
Victim 4

Reno, NV

#16 Nov 1, 2012
TO CRYSTAL PART 2, AS for Codies mom being dead, or being killed, I cant comment on that, but if she was murdered she also deserves justice. I cant speak to that as I dont know the situation. As to MS Butler, if you had seen her behaviour in the courtroom you wouldn't say the stuff you are saying. Everyone on this planet is dealt a shit-sandwich at some point in thier life. Ms. Butler wouldnt speak loud enough for practically anyone to hear her, was offensive, deceptive, lied, refused to answer, and all around hostile. Just like an 8th grader talking to a teacher they don't like. THose boys were fighting for thier life in that trial, and she acted like this was just some playground stunt. She also fled the courtroom during her testimony and had to be arrested and brought back to the court. She and the rest of her friends who witnessed were immature, hostile and contemptuous. If anything, they pissed the jury off. I was blown away at her insolence. The judge sentanced her to five days in jail for her babyish stunts. Everyone who testified gave statements to the police when it happend and eventually told the truth, only to go in the courtroom one after another to say they were drunk, high, or denied they ever even made a statement. The prosecution proved they said what they said, and even had the statements to prove it. The defense never tried to rebutt any of that as they knew it was true. All thier objections were minor procedural objections, not bearing on the facts of the case. I promise you, they could have had a jury of 100 people and the verdict would have been the same. In the end, I talked to one of the jurors after the verdict was read and she actually told me they look for reasons or ways to reduce this to a manslaughter conviction but the law simply was to clear to do that. Also, you should know I didn't know ANYONE related to this case, I was required to be there, and I wasnt biased at all either way. Everyone has bad stuff happen to them. Everyone could have easily as been in Codies or Jeremies chair, your right about that. Not everyone chooses to beat someone down for no good reason. I saw what they did. I saw Ashotons brain on a table damaged beyond help. I saw the fractures to the skull. There were not love taps as I said. That, regardless of what you say WAS NOT an accident. Further, Codie and Jeremie lied and gave 3 different stories on what happend, refusing they even met the two at first. Only when the evidence to arrest them was overwhelming and they were arrestsed did they tell the truth and then only in an attempt to rescue their own butt. That was PROVEN. They may be awesome people when you get to know them, but truthfully the people that I surround myself with dont do stuff like that. They didn't accidentally kill him no matter what you say. Oh, and also, they told people after the crime, "He got what he deserved". All this shit over a crappy email calling someone "lame". IF it were in my power, the whole lot of them would be behind bars! Now that Codie and Jeremie are behind bars, probably for life, I'm sure thier story will change, and the entire truth may come out. I hope MS. Butler, Ms. Christie and Mr. Crane know that murder or accomplace to murder is a crime with no statue of limitations, and all those boys have to do is talk,no dout to save themselves and they too could join them in prison, and I doubt very seriously at this point those boys are still in the "defend my homies mode". By know they know this was no game where they could get out in a few years. Hopefully they will wise up and tell the whole truth and maybe justice will preval for all. LIke I said, this is a tragedy for all involved, Victims, defendents, jury, judge, courtroom monitors and all involved. Even the jurors will live with this thier whole life. I feel they got it right.
Victim 4

Reno, NV

#17 Nov 1, 2012
TO CRYSTAL PART 3: One last point I want to make. Every single one of the people involved in this case, including the "witnesess" were using drugs at the time of this incident. "Pep-Spice, marajauna, meth-amphetamine and god knows what else" Is this a surprise that any of this happened? Drugs are gutting the very soul from america and are putting at risk this very country! This is more proof of that. I dont hate those two boys. I truly dont. But if Ashton were my son I'd want justice also. He is dead. He is not coming back. He had a life he was entitled to taken from him. This is serious as a light plane crash. They didn't intend on killing him, but good lord, didn't they think a savage beating like that couldnt end in serious injury/death. i'm also not together sure that Ashton regained conscienceness immediatly after the beat-down but may have been unconcious for hours. They merely didnt want to report the crime to keep them from being in trouble. That is just a theory I'm thinking MAY be the case due to some of the evidence produced at the trial. I don't belive all the facts were presented. Maybe those two boys will try to face what they did someday and tell the truth, and then maybe the others in this case will also be charged for thier part of the coverup and as accomplises to murder. Time will tell. I know it hurts to have friends in this posistion. As I said before, the law and judicial system is like a machine, it's neutral and if you get caught in the gears it will eat you up with no sympathy...I wish they had never beat thier friend, if they hadnt done that it would be so different for them today. I just cant hear you say this was an accident because it wasnt. The death part of it may have been not inteneded but unfortuantly the assault/battery/burgerly ended in death and therefore murder. I dont like it either, but honestly, if it was one of your loved ones, family members wouldnt you hold them responsisble for his death if they are the ones that caused the inury that resulted in his death? I would. Thats why i'm writing this hear, I saw every bit of the testimony and evidence and wasnt biased at all. The jury made the right call..sadly but true. If you are thier friends, all you can do is show them unconditional love and hopefully that will help them through this and they will maybe live a different life in the future and salvage what they can of thier life at this point. THis reminds me so much of felony drunk driver cases. Yes the person did drive drunk and never meant to have the accident, but, as a result of it someone innocent died. They are conviceted of felonly murder for that. IT's the same thing here. If a drunk killed my family I'd want the same justice, there is not one iota of difference in this case except instead of being drunk and driving being the crime, assault/battery and eventually burglery is the crime. They are responsible no matter how unfair it may seem. i really wish you could have been at the trial I think in the end you would have agreed. Maybe you were? I dont know.
Kristina Leddy

West Tehama County, CA

#18 Feb 16, 2013
The only one I know is Codie. I know for a fact that he isn't a murderer. He has never done anything to hurt anyone, especially that bad. He has three young kids that need him. I hope he gets out soon. How do they know for sure that he was even involved. People can pretend to be someone and say things that aren't true. He's my boyfriend and I love him! I cant wait till he gets out so we can be a family. <3
Sierra

United States

#19 Mar 1, 2013
Codie isn't a murder he is a good dad he has good intention and he is a good friend of mine
Victim 4

Reno, NV

#20 Mar 1, 2013
To Kristina and Sierra. I'm sure if I knew Codie I may feel the same way you do. I am horrified to hear he has 3 young kids that he will now not be able to raise. I'm glad you are both good friends of Codies because truthfully he will need good friends to get through this mess. It's wierd to read that he was a great father an all though. Thier lawyers both said the two were drunk, high and under the influence of "Pep Spice, Methamphetamine, alcohol and marajauna." I cant judge wether he is a good father, but at his age, with 3 kids and doing drugs like that it doesnt look to good when a father does those things when he is raising children. I guess everyone has thier demons and substance abuse is probably Codies and Jeremies demons. I truly believe that if you could have taken the drugs and alchol away, none of this would have happened. I believe what you say, that Codie never intended to kill Ashton. He did however threaten to fight him, and did fight him, and took part in inflicting the injuries that caused Ashtons death. Thats why he was charged with open murder. Both Codie and Jeremie admitted to beating him and going over there to assault/batter him. They published the threat to him, and thats why it was murder vs manslaughter. The jury had to interpret the law as it applied to this case, and I'm sure each one of them would have loved to be able to crawl into those two boys head and been able to judge thier intent. All they had was the rotton wittnes's, previous statements of the accused, and other expert testimony from surgeons, doctors and police. They then were given the law as it applies to the case, and carefully written jury instructions. Each juror, had to sort out as best they could the law and pass down a judgement. All jurors came to the same conclusion. It sucks so bad as those two boys spending thier life in prison will change nothing. I know people do really stupid stuff in thier youth and I wish I could roll back time as well. I wish I could do something to make this easier for those two boys as well..I feel sorry for them, but not for what they did. I dont think either of those two were mature as their age would call for. If the jury or court was wrong, then hopefully there will be appeals that will help them along the line. Like I said before, I feel everyone was the victim in this case because wether your a friend, enemy, juror or private citizen paying for all this, no one like any of this. I will keep those two boys in my prayers, as well as the families of the victims.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washoe Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
African American Concert plans to destroy Reno Sep 18 Marcus Artis 10
Culture Shock Sep 18 RICKY RAT 22
Clarapagex Sep 17 Fitman20 1
Marriages received June 21 (Jan '07) Sep 14 MonsterBor 2
Traffic Lights need some work in Reno - Sparks Sep 14 Kenike1969 2
Do women prefer big or small Sep 14 Kenike1969 2
Niners Super Bowl odds Sep 14 RICKY RAT 19
•••
•••
•••

Washoe Valley Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Washoe Valley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Washoe Valley News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Washoe Valley
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••