Firth Carpet Co - Cornwall, NY
George CCHS 1965

Newburgh, NY

#63 Jan 15, 2012
Fire rages at the old complex today but it appears not to have affected the original buildings. The buildings affected look like they are behind the old Office Building near the Moodna Creek and were building as storage in the last 15 years. Superior Packing is the company that rents or owns the buildings on fire today. There are photos on the Cornwall e-newsletter and on Robert McCue's Facebookpage.
DFG

Walden, NY

#64 Jan 15, 2012
Is this factory the location of the huge ongoing fire today?
George Kane wrote:
The Firth Carpet Company of Cornwall operated sometime between the 1930s up to 1962. It contributed much to the community and was a primary employer of the area. My parents, grandfather and several uncles and aunts worked there during the 1940s and 1950s. My mother was even a pin up girl for one of the newletters during WWII. FC was very family oriented and community oriented. They had company parties and a special Christmas program at the club house every year. The company photographer took many photos and I wonder where they all went when the plant closed? I believe the local museum should have a sizeable display for this carpet company since it was a primary resourse for employment for several decades. If any one has any clues to where the company photos went (Staples was the photographer) or former employees please contact me at or by email [email protected] Thank you in advance. George Kane CCHS Class of 1965
George CCHS 1965

Newburgh, NY

#65 Jan 15, 2012
DFG wrote:
Is this factory the location of the huge ongoing fire today?
<quoted text>
Yes, lots of black and gray smoke in the area of Firthcliffe and Firthcliffe Heights. Check Mill Street on your Cornwall map.
David Sherwood

Bridgeport, AL

#66 Jan 17, 2012
Robert McCue wrote:
I am writing a book on Firtcliffe and the Carpet Mill ,any pictures or memories would be welcomed and appreciated.My family worked in the mill from the earliest days until the 1930's. My Grandfather worked there as a Weaver.
I remember the McCue family well! There was a Bob McCue who was one of my classmates at CHS. My father owned Main Street Garage on Main Street in Cornwall, just down the street from Haxards Pharmacy. I was born in 1935 at Cornwall Hospital, and worked at my father's garage from age 12 till I graduated in 1953. I'd enjoy receiving any photo's of the old days. Because of working at my father's garage, I knew most of Cornwall's residents personally!(All I have to do is get my elevator going to the top!
George CCHS 1965

Newburgh, NY

#67 Jan 17, 2012
Some photos are available on Facebook but others must be sent to an email address. So please provide and email address.
Kate W

Stamford, CT

#68 Jan 19, 2012
I am so sad about the fire. I was actually there and able to watch because my father is a volunteer firefighter for Highland Engine. We lost a wonderful piece of Cornwall history on Sunday. I have a picture of my great aunt from the early 1940s with a group of people inside the mill. If anyone would like a copy let me know. Also, George you said you had a copy of the mill family picnic from the Summer of 1944. Could you please send me a copy. [email protected]
Thank you.
George CCHS 1965

Newburgh, NY

#69 Jan 19, 2012
Kate W wrote:
I am so sad about the fire. I was actually there and able to watch because my father is a volunteer firefighter for Highland Engine. We lost a wonderful piece of Cornwall history on Sunday. I have a picture of my great aunt from the early 1940s with a group of people inside the mill. If anyone would like a copy let me know. Also, George you said you had a copy of the mill family picnic from the Summer of 1944. Could you please send me a copy. [email protected]
Thank you.
If anyone has any type of memorabilia or photos from Firth Carpet, the Cornwall Historical Society would like a copy whether it be a hard copy photo or a large scan. At this date they are putting together a collection of items to go on display very soon, I believe at the public library. If you don't meet this deadline don't hesitate to submit things at any time.
Scott Thomas Balfe

Coxsackie, NY

#70 Jan 20, 2012
George Cook wrote:
My Scottish relatives came to Cornwall in 1902 and worked at Firth, paying off the cost of their passage. Their last name was Conner and they were carpet weavers from Elderslie, Scotland.
<quoted text>
Hey there my ancestors came from Elderslie also, 10 of them at around 1902. They were Ross'
Scott Thomas Balfe

Coxsackie, NY

#71 Jan 20, 2012
My ancestors came from Elderslie also around 1902 they were Ross'
George CCHS 1965

New Windsor, NY

#72 Feb 3, 2012
David, Ted Doerring is trying to reach you. You can reach him at [email protected] eums.com which is at the museum his owns in Newburgh, NY.
David Sherwood wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember the McCue family well! There was a Bob McCue who was one of my classmates at CHS. My father owned Main Street Garage on Main Street in Cornwall, just down the street from Haxards Pharmacy. I was born in 1935 at Cornwall Hospital, and worked at my father's garage from age 12 till I graduated in 1953. I'd enjoy receiving any photo's of the old days. Because of working at my father's garage, I knew most of Cornwall's residents personally!(All I have to do is get my elevator going to the top!
ian mowatt

United States

#73 Apr 24, 2012
My grandfather worked for firth carpet company in auburn as their top salesman. He was known as scotty macleod,his real name was ramsey mowatt. I do have a picture of him wearing his yellow macleod great kilt. If anyone has any information about him,I can be reached at [email protected] you!
Pat Glenn

New Iberia, LA

#74 Jun 21, 2012
My uncle Jim Glenn worked at the mill at Firthcliffe from the 40s til it closed. He married Dolores Quinn who I believe was from the Cornwall area. Does anybody have any info or pictures? [email protected]
George CCHS 1965

New Windsor, NY

#75 Jun 22, 2012
Several people have photos on Facebook and there is a FB Firth Carpet page.
Pat Creasy

Cyprus

#76 Feb 10, 2013
Barry Wood wrote:
<quoted text> He was my mother's step father- the last time I saw my grandfather was in 1971 in Scottsdale,AZ shortly before my grandmother's passing -Barry
My first husband was Harold E Wadelys nephew. His name was Michael Wadely he had two sisters Betty and Beryl both unmarried.Michael had two wives
first was Doris they had three daughters Carol now living in Cape Town Judy and Elizabeth both in UK. We had two daughters Nicola Jayne and Jacqueline Zoe. I met your mother and step father in London on one of their trips back in the 70's If I can be of any more help please email me I now live in Cyprus.
Thomas MacDonald

Leoma, TN

#77 Jul 20, 2013
Barry Wood wrote:
<quoted text> He was my mother's step father- the last time I saw my grandfather was in 1971 in Scottsdale,AZ shortly before my grandmother's passing -Barry
I knew Harold Edward Wadeley's granddaughter in the 1950's. Her name was Zoe Eansor and she had a younger brother named Harold. Her grandfather lived in Ardsley-on-Hudson, and her father was a salesman at Firth's office in New York City. Zoe graduated from St. Mary's school in Peekskill in 1958, and they may have kept her alumna records on file.
MaryLynn Thomson Conklin

Cornwall, NY

#78 Jul 31, 2013
Scott Thomas Balfe wrote:
My ancestors came from Elderslie also around 1902 they were Ross'
Hi Scott! My father's grandfather, John Thomson, emigrated to the United States from Elderslie, Scotland in 1903 with about 25 other people from England and Scotland. John was a Master Weaver in Scotland and at the Firth Carpet Company. His wife, Elizabeth, and their three young sons, came to Cornwall two years later. Algernon Firth gave the employees of the carpet company houses that were built for them as an incentive to come to America. The company paid for half of the houses, and the employees paid for the other half out of their earnings. My great-grandmother thought that her house here was a mansion compared to what she was used to in Elderslie! My dad's father, their fourth and youngest son, was their only child who was born in the United States. Many other ancestors also worked at the Firth Carpet Company over the following years. My father remembered all of the company picnics and holiday parties that the club there had. He said that the employees could bring any children to the Christmas parties, including their children's friends, even if their friends' parent was not employed by the company.
George Kane Cornwall NY

Newburgh, NY

#79 Jul 31, 2013
MaryLynn Thomson Conklin wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Scott! My father's grandfather, John Thomson, emigrated to the United States from Elderslie, Scotland in 1903 with about 25 other people from England and Scotland. John was a Master Weaver in Scotland and at the Firth Carpet Company. His wife, Elizabeth, and their three young sons, came to Cornwall two years later. Algernon Firth gave the employees of the carpet company houses that were built for them as an incentive to come to America. The company paid for half of the houses, and the employees paid for the other half out of their earnings. My great-grandmother thought that her house here was a mansion compared to what she was used to in Elderslie! My dad's father, their fourth and youngest son, was their only child who was born in the United States. Many other ancestors also worked at the Firth Carpet Company over the following years. My father remembered all of the company picnics and holiday parties that the club there had. He said that the employees could bring any children to the Christmas parties, including their children's friends, even if their friends' parent was not employed by the company.
The Cornwall Historical Society is looking for old photos of the plant, picnics and club house events. Would you happen to have any to share? Also do you know about the round pins that were given to employees? Some had a green/yellow or red center. The outside had the name Firth Carpet and a buck for a logo. You can see the pins on the Firth Carpet page of facebook.
MaryLynn Thomson Conklin

Cornwall, NY

#80 Jul 31, 2013
Unfortunately, I do not have any photos or pins from the Firth Carpet Company, but I will keep my eyes open for any I might stumble upon. I do not recall having seen any in the past though. The information that I have came verbally from my father, Joe Thomson, shortly before he passed away. My son had a project from a college course on ethnicity and had to interview my dad, who was the oldest member of our family at the time.
JT - Sydney Australia

Cartwright, Australia

#81 Jan 22, 2014
Barry Wood wrote:
Hi Barry, Harold's mother, Zoe, was one of 8 children. In the early 1870s Harold's grandparents emigrated, with children, from England to St John, New Brunswick. The grandparents and 3 of their children died of diphtheria in 1874. The eldest boy (another 'Harold') stayed in Canada and later moved to Shenectady NY. The other 4 orphans returned to England. Zoe married a music professor and had 4 children, one of whom was Harold Edward Wadely. Two of the orphans entered into trades (plumbing and ironmongery) and the last one (Horace) joined the merchant navy and sailed the seas. He chose to settle in Sydney. He was hugely creative and inventive. Records of his inventions and architectual drawings lie in our National Archives. It seems inventiveness and creativity ran in the family! This common thread I find fascinating. Horace was my husband's great grandfather. JT
Craig

Mesa, AZ

#82 May 12, 2014
Barry Wood wrote:
I may be purchasing a house in Phoenix, the deed for which references the sale of adjacent land to Harold E. Wadely, husband of Anne Nichols Wadely. The sale contract was executed on May 5, 1955. It's a rather large piece of land, there are about 12 homes on that land today. It's also in a very desirable part of Phoenix, just to the South of Camelback Mountain. A scanned copy of the sale contract is available at the office of the Maricopa County Recorder in Docket 1626, page 476.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washingtonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Alvarez guilty in gang slaying (Dec '08) Aug 17 Changed man 14
Lexington Hills Condos (Sep '06) Aug 14 Mom 156
perez and bowmen Aug 10 tim 1
News Legislative panel urges St. Luke's to keep Corn... Jul '16 joelkramer534 1
News Trump supporter says Mexican restaurant refused... Jul '16 YouDidntBuildThat 8
Blue Diamond Painting and Contracting Jul '16 chanigan 1
News Blooming Grove supervisor suggests ward system ... (Feb '16) Jul '16 JamesPliskin 4

Washingtonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Washingtonville Mortgages