1898 Mound and cave complex question

Posted in the Washington Forum

Nephilim Hunter

Poca, WV

#1 Sep 13, 2013
I have in my possession newspaper articles from 1898 which claim that near Parkersburg and a place called "Cheat Neck" a cave was discovered which included large stone chambers and an underground lake. Near to this there was supposedly a large mound partially built of stones which contained 2 12 ft tall skeletons, like the other giant "Indians" found all over the US between 1800 and the mid 1900s.

So my question is whether or not anyone on these boards may be able to tell me where these places were, and where I might begin looking for them, as I can't find a single reference to what should have been the location of an very important discovery. Cheat Neck doesn't even appear on Google Earth....
anon

United States

#2 Sep 13, 2013
Nephilim Hunter wrote:
I have in my possession newspaper articles from 1898 which claim that near Parkersburg and a place called "Cheat Neck" a cave was discovered which included large stone chambers and an underground lake. Near to this there was supposedly a large mound partially built of stones which contained 2 12 ft tall skeletons, like the other giant "Indians" found all over the US between 1800 and the mid 1900s.

So my question is whether or not anyone on these boards may be able to tell me where these places were, and where I might begin looking for them, as I can't find a single reference to what should have been the location of an very important discovery. Cheat Neck doesn't even appear on Google Earth....
I would suggest going to the Facebook page called Early Parkersburg and Surrounding Areas. Maybe someone there can help you with this interesting find.
nmg1967

United States

#3 Sep 13, 2013
Nephilim Hunter wrote:

Cheat Neck is in Monongalia County. Google Cheat Neck Indians and there is an article about this subject.
nmg1967

United States

#4 Sep 13, 2013
nmg1967 wrote:
<quoted text>Cheat Neck is in Monongalia County. Google Cheat Neck Indians and there is an article about this subject.
I'm sorry. Google "cheat neck wv Indian caves".
Nephilim Hunter

Poca, WV

#5 Sep 15, 2013
Thank you for the info...

Unfortunately I can't get that search to come up with anything and of course the NROHP has absolutely no mention or cataloguing of any of it.
Neanderthal Guy

Cameron, WV

#6 Dec 8, 2013
Evening Star, July 16, 1898.
Interesting discoveries in the vicinity of Parkersburg and Cheat Neck West Virginia
"A remarkable cave has been discovered near Parkersburg, W. Va.
The entrance will only permit one person going in at a time and after proceeding ten or fifteen feet a large room is encountered, twenty feet square of solid stone. Dates are carved on the walls as far back as 1598. In one corner of the room a stone door, swung on large steel hinges, leads to stone steps, which the explores followed to a room, where many human skeletons were found. By the aid of a rope one can be lowered into another room, twenty feet below the skeleton chamber, where fish can be found by the hundred in a pond, the fish resembling the common perch. Hundreds of stone fish are to be found in the different sections of the cave. These are the people carrying away as relics. The cave is on the farm of B. A. Price. A party from Morgantown W. Va., opened one of a series of mounds in the vicinity of Cheat Neck, W. VA., with interesting results. The mound was partly built of stones, rising in a conical shape and covered with moss and wildflowers. After considerable labor, an entrance was made in the center of the mound, where two skeletons were found in a fair state of preservation both being of gigantic stature and build. When the men were in full life they must have been at least twelve high and possessed of enormous strength, as the size of the bones would indicate. With the exception of the enormous skulls, which were partly crumbled and decayed, the skeletons were in a perfect state of preservation."
http://tinyurl.com/npuzfbq

Who knows... this info could've been wrong from the start but it does state that the cave was located near Parkersburg.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marion Va Red Head 2 hr TOTO W 22
Bob Newell pictures on a flash drive 7 hr georgie 24
traci welch had abortion not miscarriage (Jun '13) 12 hr people suck 7
Married and... (Jan '12) Thu bosslady45 12
christian uppole Thu friendofsaiddude 2
Will TINY show up at council tonight? Thu RoxofoxeR 8
Samantha/Brooklyn from 77 strip club Thu clubcritic 18
Washington Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web