Police Chase Ends in Deadly Rush Hour...

Police Chase Ends in Deadly Rush Hour Crash on 22 : WFMZ-TV 69News

There are 182 comments on the WFMZ story from Aug 20, 2008, titled Police Chase Ends in Deadly Rush Hour Crash on 22 : WFMZ-TV 69News. In it, WFMZ reports that:

Authorities continue to investigate a police chase that ended in a crash that killed two people and closed Route 22 in Northampton County for eight hours.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMZ.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
copskillwomanove rvacuum

Bethlehem, PA

#1 Aug 20, 2008
Most police have procedures to stop chasing someone when it becomes a threat to the general public...
Stupid

Northampton, PA

#2 Aug 20, 2008
The Morning Call is reporting that this chase was over a stolen vacuum cleaner. That's right... a shoplifter. Yeah, that was worth a woman's life. What were these cops thinking ?
ohmygod

United States

#3 Aug 20, 2008
This is unreal, what in the world was anybody thinking when chasing this man. An innocent life has been lost over WHAT!!!! At what point do these police stop with the car chases. The man might have gotten off safely and without hitting anyone had the police not been chasing him. My heart goes out to the young womans family.
be real

Milwaukee, WI

#4 Aug 20, 2008
Get a grip. The Cops DID NOT kill anyone. It was the jackass thief who did, and he got what he deserved. Our prayers go out to the family of the unfortunate victim, and thank God that it was not more tragic than it was.
deadly force

Paterson, NJ

#5 Aug 20, 2008
The cops should have opened fire on him as soon as he started going the wrong way on the off ramp. At what point do you use deadly force? This should answer your question.
someone

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Aug 20, 2008
be real wrote:
Get a grip. The Cops DID NOT kill anyone. It was the jackass thief who did, and he got what he deserved. Our prayers go out to the family of the unfortunate victim, and thank God that it was not more tragic than it was.
All too many times innocent people are killed as a result of car chases. These cops need to start being punished for their stupidity. I see it first hand when the innocent are arriving to the ER dead. A car chase involving what? Nothing these cops could not have taken care of at a later date.
Tragic

Allentown, PA

#7 Aug 20, 2008
Something needs to be done about how car chases are conducted. Why in the middle of rush hour are police chasing a truck? I would like to know more about the reasons this happened.
Tragic

Allentown, PA

#8 Aug 20, 2008
This is where technology can help. This chase never should of happened. We need to push automakers and lawmakers to have a cutoff installed in all vehicles that only police officers in their vehicles can activate. Lets get smart and stop being stupid.....
Stupid

Northampton, PA

#9 Aug 20, 2008
be real wrote:
Your kidding, right ? An innocent woman gets killed because these "wannabe hero" cops can't back off and let the guy get away with a lousy vacuum cleaner ? No one is saying the guy wasn't at fault, but our police are supposed to be smart enough to know when something like this becomes a dangerous situation for the citizens.
What if it was your wife, sister, mother or child that was the victim of something that "could have been more tragic". I would hope you think there lives are worth more than a $100 vacuum cleaner.
greatly missed

Salem, NJ

#10 Aug 20, 2008
Jolene will be geeatly missed. The police are as responsible for her death as the guy who hit her. There should never have been a chase over a stupid vacuum cleaner during rush hour traffic. They were behind him and had his plate number. There is no excuses for there neglegance. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family.
sorry to the family

Allentown, PA

#11 Aug 20, 2008
Did the guy driving the pickup care if he killed someone? No! Did the cops? Yes! Otherwise they would have pulled the trigger before getting on the highway. Think about it before placing blame. Our thoughts and prays go out to the victims family!!!!
Jess

Newark, NJ

#12 Aug 20, 2008
Ok after reading all the stories published I must say that this was uncalled for. Why in the world would the police be wasting tax payers dollars and risking lives to chase some nutcase that stole a vacume? They should have called off the chase and actually investigated the situation, caught up with the guy later on, but no instead they go and chase him and look what the outcome was. YES he was a dumbass for going the wrong way but had he not been chased then more then likely he would have went wherever it was that he was heading and this would have been avoided. My heart goes out to the families of all that were involved, even the vacume bandit's. This was a tragedy that could and should have been avoided. I sure do hope that something was learned from this......
Dave in bethlehem

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Aug 20, 2008
Hey "stupid" suppose someone just robbed one of your family members, would you expect the police to just sit back and say "oh well" or would you want them to pursue them? This was an unfortunate event that cost the life of an innocent person. You cannot blame the cops for this, blame the lowlife who decided to put the public in danger over a friggin vacuum cleaner. You are STUPID to blame our police for doing their job. Unless you are worried YOU may not get away with a crime, stick up for our police...D
walk in their shoes

Milwaukee, WI

#14 Aug 20, 2008
I am so sick and tired of people placing blame on the police for anything that goes amiss. It's ok until you need them, then you want them to be your best friend. Unless you wear the badge, face the criminals, risk your life for the community, shut up! The cops do much more good than bad. Try living without them and see what happens to society.

~ All due respects to the family.
nasty boy

Columbus, OH

#15 Aug 20, 2008
But it this way ... someone steals from you. You know in your right mind your gonna be pissed and want that person caught ... no matter what ! Right.
The cops were in the right, it's a shame that an innocent person got killed because of some low-life scum too lazy to work for a living, or whatever else his lame ass excuse is. But now we know he is rotting in hell.
For the family that lost a loved one , my hear and prayers go out to them.

I support the police 100% in a case like this ... and so would you if someone was hurting your family or stealing something that you worked for.

Face reality, stop putting the blame on the cops. Because when you need them, you'll be screaming for JUTICE.
GWB

Cranford, NJ

#16 Aug 20, 2008
Many cities now have a policy of giving up a chase when the public's safty is at risk. Now the poor people of palmer are going to have to pay for the stupidity of the police. I'm sure that Boscov's has the guy on tape and the police had his license number. But i guess the police didn't feel that driving 50 mph the wrong way during rush hour on a major highway was putting the public at risk. Maybe some more training would help.
Dave in bethlehem

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Aug 20, 2008
To Jolenes family, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope your faith brings you strength and understanding in this sad time. Celebrate the life that was and find solace in the fact that you will see your loved one again.
just suppose

Milwaukee, WI

#18 Aug 20, 2008
Ok, lets say the theif wasn't chased, and someone still got killed. Then everyone would be up in arms that the police did nothing!

Did you armchair quartebacks ever stop to think if this guy was packing a gun? Thief + gun = BAD + repeat offender.

Maybe he wasn't, but how is anyone to know... If he had been cornered someone could have been shot (in theory).

When someone acts as reckless as he did it become a whole new issue/threat and 'letting him go' as some suggest, is not an option.
jimmy the mac

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Aug 20, 2008
these cops get me mad puttin innocent people at risk with these high speed pursuits, catch them later for "code violations" this ain't hollywood this is real, yeah ok if it was a murderer yeah but c'mon lay down the spikes
catwoman

Allentown, PA

#20 Aug 20, 2008
It's a judgement call. Do you let him drive the wrong way on 22, or try to stop him? Either way, someone is put in danger. The police have to make hard decisions every day, and no matter what, someone is going to say they are wrong. Just remember that they were in danger, too.

Do what I do, and stay the hell off 22.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washington Township Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayor Dave Mayer makes History raising Highest ... Jan '17 Recall Mayor Davi... 1
News It's Happening! Public Schools Indoctrinating K... Jan '17 Wake up 6
**westwood nj police dept** (Sep '07) Dec '16 Jersey City citizen 64
Verizon Wireless Celebrates Grand Opening at Ga... Nov '16 Verizon Wireless 1
News Healing Hands for Healing Victims of Domestic V... Nov '16 Barb Petrea 1
News Local New Jersey film to premiere at Washington... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Felis74 1
Premium Hospital Electric Bed (Mar '13) Mar '13 President Road Re... 1

Washington Township Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Washington Township Mortgages