Let kids know if cheer is low

Let kids know if cheer is low

There are 2 comments on the LA Daily News story from Dec 8, 2008, titled Let kids know if cheer is low. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

It's a tough economy out there, even for a kid. And many parents are wondering how to broach the subject.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

Just a mom

Rancho Cordova, CA

#1 Dec 8, 2008
Christmas is not about piles of gifts, expensive or otherwise. It's about love, peace and sharing with family and friends. It's disgusting that we've allowed the retail business to make a beautiful holiday into something cheap. Reclaim your Christmas. You don't have to go crazy spending money. Make cookies together, sing carols together, play games and enjoy each other's company. You'll have a much more lovely holiday.
InsideOpinion

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Dec 8, 2008
Just a mom, you've got the right idea! I keep hoping that people will stop buying so much junk. Maybe the death of the Wal-Mart employee will be a watershed moment for all those folks who think that buying cheap junk no one really needs is the best way to celebrate a religious holiday with such deep spiritual meaning as Christmas. That poor young man, killed by greed and materialism -- on the side of the store as well as the customers.

At the same time, somewhat whiny stories like this one really annoy me. When I was a kid, we didn't have a slew of relatives around to flood us with gifts; my parents bought us one or two relatively small things, and I remember each of them fondly. One year, "all" I received was a rag doll. Do you know I still have that doll -- and I remember the feeling of shock and wonder as I saw it for the first time -- I was five and I couldn't believe that this doll "magically" appeared overnight, right next to my bed (we were too poor to have a Christmas tree, too). I feel sorry for today's jaded kids, who don't appreciate all the treasures they have, but who have to have more and more every year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washington Township Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Would the Paramus Park Mall and other malls be ... May '15 Frank Gannucci 1
News Paramus Police Chief Richard J. Cary Announces ... (Dec '09) May '15 Chloe A Cary 5
News These pop culture Easter eggs will inspire you Apr '15 ROBERT TAYLOR 1
Emerson Centennial Park Mar '15 Kris 1
Anyone Remember SportsWorld? (Nov '11) Mar '15 lodibob 8
News Local New Jersey film to premiere at Washington... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Felis74 1
Premium Hospital Electric Bed (Mar '13) Mar '13 President Road Re... 1
More from around the web

Washington Township People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Washington Township Mortgages