Hudson Roller Skating Rink Fire

Hudson Roller Skating Rink Fire

Posted in the Washington Park Forum

Adeducator

Belleville, IL

#1 Jan 24, 2010
I am a former resident of Washington Park & was recently talking to a class alumni from East Side. We were trying to figure out what year it was that the Washington Park Fire Department was not able to make it across the street to the old Hudson Skating rink to put out the fire. Does anyone remember what year it was that our old high school hang out burned to the ground. Please contact me at [email protected]
Kevin Kannewurf

Waterloo, IL

#2 Aug 4, 2010
My Great Grand Parents owned the Hudson and Thunderbird roller rinks, Ive heard rumors thru the years that it was never really know what happened that night. It was 1967
Adeducator

Collinsville, IL

#3 Aug 5, 2010
Kevin Kannewurf wrote:
My Great Grand Parents owned the Hudson and Thunderbird roller rinks, Ive heard rumors thru the years that it was never really know what happened that night. It was 1967
Actually I do know what happened that night. The fire truck was pulling out of the station and just as the engine got outside of the door, the truck broke down and they were unable to get it started. However, I don't remember for sure, but I thought that there were fire plugs on that corner where the fire station was sitting. So for me it does not make sense that they had to just let it burn.
curtis

United States

#4 Dec 29, 2010
what memories_frank and marie
rockin j l's
cleve's grill after skating
or dognsuds
that place was great back in the day
Meat

Belleville, IL

#5 Jan 14, 2011
curtis wrote:
what memories_frank and marie
rockin j l's
cleve's grill after skating
or dognsuds
that place was great back in the day
How about the old Kingsway drive in? Dog n suds texasburger was awsome!
curtis

United States

#6 Jan 15, 2011
yep yep did you know kingsway had a patent
on the pizza burger.
ate many texas burger baskets from dognsuds
good eat_cheap gas at the derby station
teen town those were the days
Bud Sanders

United States

#7 Mar 30, 2011
I lived in Fairmont City across the Viaduct. Went to Washington Park
to Gruber's drug store for comic books every week.
Used to go to Cleave's Grill and the roller rink and I remember the pizza burgers. I also remember J and D confectionary. I went fishing at Jones Park.I hope that is the name.
Heading towards Collinsville I use to go to the Falcon Drive In.
Things will never be the same again. Today's kids do not know what was good.
Paula Ridgway

Grass Valley, CA

#8 Aug 18, 2011
Kevin Kannewurf wrote:
Kevin - do you have any pictures of the rinks - especially the Thunderbird? My mother, Virginia (Janik) Cruz, used to skate there all the time and I'd love to see some picture - inside or outside. If so - please email to [email protected] Thanks so much!
Stan Buzz Adkins

Garden City, MI

#9 Feb 28, 2013
Paula Ridgway wrote:
<quoted text>
Kevin - do you have any pictures of the rinks - especially the Thunderbird? My mother, Virginia (Janik) Cruz, used to skate there all the time and I'd love to see some picture - inside or outside. If so - please email to [email protected] Thanks so much!
What great memories I have there. The rockin j l's were the baddest band there.
Is this Paula Ridgway from Fairmount City?... piano player, thespian? Buzz Adkins here! How are you?
I'm in the K C area. Where are you now a days? Hope you are well. Just exchanged emails with Rick Mifflin a week ago. He's doing great. My email is [email protected]
Regards.
Linda Habermehl Rivera

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Jun 3, 2013
We moved to Belleville the day after my 16th birthday...party held at the Washington Park Fireman's Hall...200 boys and girls came...all of them have been skaters or just after skating, dancing participants...and that was October 12, 1968...and the skating rink was still standing at that time...wasn't it? I'm on facebook! I have a few photos of the inside of Hudson's and I have my photo albulms open for all to see...I'm 60yrs old...I also have some pics of my friends from back then.
Linda Habermehl Rivera

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Jun 4, 2013
Kevin Kannewurf wrote:
***Hi Kevin, If you have any photos of Hudson Roller Rink, especially any of the outside of the building, all of us Washington Park alumni would truly appreciate it if you could post them onto our group forum on facebook. I think you have to become a member (really easy) then just post them. It's called "WASHINGTON PARK ILLINOIS, THE GOOD AND THE BAD". I hope this message makes it to you. Have a good one! Linda
Vinr

Belleville, IL

#12 Dec 27, 2013
I grew up in Washington Park, worked at dog n suds, alot of great memories.
todd

Collinsville, IL

#13 Jul 2, 2014
The pizza burger s unbelievable !!! I hae ried to do it at home bt can't. I haveNEVER had one since to even ome close to it !
Kathleen D

Belleville, IL

#14 Jan 17, 2015
I just accidentally found this forum and wow, what a blast from the past. My name is Kathleen McCormick Delaney and my family owned Dog N Suds. Those were to good old days!! We opened the restaurant in May of 1969 and closed it Sept. 1981. The post from vinr - is that you Vince? I can't remember if Hudson's had burned yet when we opened.
Adeducator

Belleville, IL

#15 Jan 21, 2015
Adeducator wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I do know what happened that night. The fire truck was pulling out of the station and just as the engine got outside of the door, the truck broke down and they were unable to get it started. However, I don't remember for sure, but I thought that there were fire plugs on that corner where the fire station was sitting. So for me it does not make sense that they had to just let it burn.

There were no fire plugs on the corner. I can't remember where the closest plugs were, but I do know that they could not reach the rink. The thing was that the way the truck worked, the way I heard it was that the hose had to be connected to the plug to the truck and then another hose pumped to the fire. That is unless the water tank on the truck had to be filled. If it was filled they just pumped the water from the tank. The stupid thing about it was, why wasn't the truck filled when they returned to the fire house. As always we could not depend on politicians or city officials. Today, it is still the same. I say the founders of Washington Park are turning over in their gavels the way it has turned out. In my opinion the entire village needs to be burned down, especially the strip joint, and start over. It use to be that you were ashamed of living in East St. Louis, but now I am ashamed to admit that I grew up in Washington Park.
chatcher

De Soto, KS

#16 Mar 4, 2015
Kevin Kannewurf wrote:
Is the family still getting royalties from Ford for the Thunderbird name?
Bill Dietz

Jacksonville, FL

#17 Dec 1, 2016
Bud Sanders wrote:
I lived in Fairmont City across the Viaduct. Went to Washington Park
to Gruber's drug store for comic books every week.
Used to go to Cleave's Grill and the roller rink and I remember the pizza burgers. I also remember J and D confectionary. I went fishing at Jones Park.I hope that is the name.
Heading towards Collinsville I use to go to the Falcon Drive In.
Things will never be the same again. Today's kids do not know what was good.
Hi - don't know if you remember me, but my wife came across this thread and starting reading it to me. We were talking about Cleve's Grill and she Google'd it. I loved Gruber's Drug Store and their cherry cokes. The pizza burgers at the drive inn. So many memories so long ago. I agree things could never be the same. My husband said he knows you Buddy Sanders.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washington Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lafayette elementary school (Mar '10) Sat Angela willis Brown 3
Gas Station incident on March 18, 2018 Mar 19 Michael j Fox 2
News Farmer's Wife Pleads Guilty in Fraud Case (Nov '08) Mar 9 FreeAgain 8
new adult bookstore in brooklyn (Dec '11) Mar 1 Denny 48
News 1 dead, 17 wounded in Chicago shootings Nov '16 former democrat 1
hustler club (Jul '09) Oct '16 Spankerboy69 31
News Small police forces look to work under same roo... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Angelawillisrbrown12 1

Washington Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Washington Park Mortgages