Highway 17 Bypass
Posted in the Washington Forum
#1 Nov 23, 2009
I live in Ohio currently. the Bypass should be almost complete. Was curious about general feeling about it total.
or lack of.
I will kick it off with a few points.
1. it should have been built west of washington and the reasons why. the all inclusive points will up set some of you I hope. It has me....
2. the benefits would have been.
Consolidating schols on both sides if the river.
Millions in tax savings.
County services, shorter distance to far end of county. Time equals money. instead of one inspection perhasp 3 or more.
West of washington would bring industry.
Where it is now no, chocowinity will benefit, and who is the one who benefits most?
Residents far side of river spend money in New Bern, closer more opportunity.
Residents go to Pamlico community college, closer.
other problems with this whole thing.
Community college right side of town should have been 5 mile further out.
Business park wrong side of town, no expansion room, college other side of town.
Business park is providing jobs to more pitt county residents.
The college and park should have been on the same side of town.
College and job same side of town!!! Now does this make sense......
More room to expand on that side of town.
Water front development will be on east side not west where the infamous thoroufare is.
As population grows east of town more people will have to drive through it to reach the washington thorougfare. Smart long term planning by Whom?
As belhaven and Bath grow while there is a lot of room for potential growth the 17 rip off will become more evedent. They will then need a bypass as they call it to go behind warren Airport a few miles in the direction of Williamston.
The thing in Washington will make Wash lose money, all those cars and trucks going through, now shop in New Bern and Williamston.
Some of my reasons I would like to see others add to it neg as well as pos.
a tired tax payer
#2 Feb 25, 2010
John, I don't know where you got your facts, but they are wrong. Maybe I am totally misunderstanding you, but I think you are suggesting that it should have been built in a different location.
1. Fact 1 - it IS on the west side of Washington which does make logistical good sense.
2. Chocowinity WILL benefit... and your point?
3. The far side (south?) of the river shops in Washington and Greenville. Only the sparcely populated eastern section on the south side shop New Bern.
4. I know a lot of people here in Beaufort County (got married here in 1968), and I don't know anyone who goes to Pamlico County Community College.
5. The county actually has 2 business parks - one on the north side and a new one on the south side (which has rail service).
6. The reason the US-17 Bypass was built before the US-264 Bypass, is because there is a whole lot more traffic N-S than W-E. The 17 corridor links Norfolk-Wilmington. The 264 corridor links Raleigh-???(Englehard?). People who go to Outer Banks use 64... even the ones who live here.
7. County has not seen much growth in population since I've been here. Washington proper has not grown much at all.
8. As long as the naysayers have their way, Washington will never grow, regardless as to whether there is a bypass or not. Washington will grow when they allow a major hotel to be built on the waterfront. The attraction here will never be major industry, it is the water. Capitalize on that, and we will grow.
9. The bridge dedication ceremony is tomorrow (Friday, Feb. 26, 2010). It will officially be open to traffic a few weeks later. I am excited about that.
10. Thanks for moving to Ohio.
#3 May 5, 2010
I like the the bypass quick and easy access to and from Chocowinty and Washington. I refer to it as the Chocobahn
Add your comments below
|Where is Kim Bishop||Feb 10||Jericho||7|
|Facebook Trolls (Apr '15)||Feb 9||Jericho||24|
|Painter Hannah Cole Buiea s exhibit opens at Ar...||Feb 4||JANICE||1|
|National Signing Day 2016: Breaking down #Pack1...||Feb 4||Fart news||2|
|Gautier family of Beaufort county||Feb 3||Family search||1|
|Intersection Peddlers Are Here To Stay! (Feb '15)||Feb 2||Joe||10|
|Captain D's Now Open in Franklin North Carolina||Feb 2||Joe||3|
Find what you want!
Search Washington Forum Now
Copyright © 2016 Topix LLC