Teen Killed, Friends Injured in Damas...

Teen Killed, Friends Injured in Damascus Crash

There are 207 comments on the NBC 4 Washington, DC story from Oct 21, 2008, titled Teen Killed, Friends Injured in Damascus Crash. In it, NBC 4 Washington, DC reports that:

A 15-year-old boy is dead and four others injured in a fiery crash just outside of Damascus on Monday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 4 Washington, DC.

JansRyche

Suitland, MD

#196 Oct 22, 2008
Why is this little girls Myspace page or Facebook even an issue here? Who freakin' cares? She is someones daughter and her life is in jeopardy. Imagine that is your child at Shock Trauma. My God lady( research) what is your problem? You are so perfect and your children are so perfect that you can judge? Ever heard of a thing called KARMA? It will be funny when it bites you in your judgemental ass!!
Damascus Allumni in PA

Philadelphia, PA

#197 Oct 22, 2008
Our prayers are with everyone who knows these kids and their families. I have driven this road for 29 years and know the fear my parents had everyday, praying for my safety. This is a tragic accident that happened to innocent children on a dangerous road. These kids were praying to live their lives so that God would be proud of them. May God wrap His arms around them now and give them the strength to heal. May the families and friends know that God is proud of them. Let's all pray for the Didone family. May their child be remembered in a way that would make us all proud.
carol

Sterling, VA

#198 Oct 22, 2008
WOW KAT!!! WHO THE HECK ARE YOU TO SAY SUCH A MEAN THING!!!!!!!!?? YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO SAY THAT! YOU DONT EVEN KNOW ANYTHING THAT HAPPEND!! OBVIOSLY YOU HAVE NO HEART WHAT SO EVER!!!! YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT AT ALLL!!!!!!! YOU NEED TO SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!!!! YOU DONT CARE ABOUT ANYONE BUTT YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!! THEY WERE NOT SHOWING OFF TO HIS FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!! I HOPE YOU DIE IN A CAR ACCIDENT && SEE WHAT YOU WOULD SAY TO THIS THEN!!!!!!!
ryan was such a good guy && i love him and miss him. this is so sad that it happend! my prayers go out to the family, his friends, and everyone else in that car. god bless all of you.
RYAN YOU WILL BE MISSED && ALREADY ARE!
ryan

Washington, DC

#199 Oct 22, 2008
wow kat. for someone who knows nothing about the situation you have serious guts saying stuff like that. did you know the kids. did you watch it happen!?!? no didn't think so. I DID! i was there watched them hit the tree! heard them all screaming. when you have something like that happen to you. then you open your mouth. until it's best for you to shut-up!
Kat wrote:
Why is this even news? Stupid, irresponsible teenager showing off for his friends and not paying attention while driving. Whatever.
ryan

Washington, DC

#200 Oct 22, 2008
r.i.p ryan thomas didone!
april 30,1993-october 21,2008

FOREVER IN MY HEART!
I LOVE AND MISS YOU!
re89t5e8tuiye

Ijamsville, MD

#201 Oct 22, 2008
he wasnt being irresponsible u didnt even know him so stfu
witness

Washington, DC

#202 Oct 22, 2008
i personally know the man who pulled them out of that car. and i watched him do so. he is a loving and devoted father to his 5 kids. what he did doesnt not surprise me one bit. he is a hero indeed and deserves the title although he is to humble to take it.
bobby patton... my HERO!
at only 15 years old. same age as ryan didone [my friend]....killed in the accident. i never think that anything like this could happen. and then i watched it. ryan was so young and he didnt deserve to die this way. it only takes my mistake to change a life or take one.
R.I.P RYAN I LOVE YOU &* WE ALL MISS YOU LIKE CRAZYY! SEE YOU SOON
Damascus Parent wrote:
The man who pulled the children from the burning car is a HERO! His hands are supposely badly burned and is said to be at a burn center. My highest respect, prayers, and good wishes goes to him and his family. This man is an incredible individual!
gandul

Centreville, VA

#203 Oct 22, 2008
Our thoughts and prayers are going to all the families involved...Let's pray for everybody's recovery...
Maryland parent

United States

#204 Oct 22, 2008
This accident is terrible. My heart goes out to the families and friends. Life is way to short and we shouldnt take it for granted. i just put my 3year old son to bed and said a little prayer for every family and for my own that they grow up safe and happy. When i left he said I wove u mommy. Thats is a major reminder that we all take things for granted. so everyone take a minute, sstep back, give your kids/family a kiss(even when they agrivate you) and tell them you love them cause you never know what will happen. As for kat...get a life and grow up!
Leah

Arlington, VA

#205 Oct 22, 2008
HEY CCJ read my update from yesterday! Some @ZZZZ sent my daughter bogus info and upset a whole lotta of girls that have been grieving at my house all day tues. My daughter spent tuesday evening visiting and comforting brittany in baltimore with brittany's family. We know how strong brittany is and she will pull through just fine.
a different Kat

Denver, CO

#206 Oct 23, 2008
Firstly, just so you know, I'm not that mean kat person.
How is the other boy doing that was in critical care? I appreciate the personal updates from the posters here.
My thoughts and prayers are for peace and solace for all the families involved.
Kat-a Laytonsville resident-
Susan lube

Gaithersburg, MD

#207 Oct 23, 2008
Kat wrote:
Why is this even news? Stupid, irresponsible teenager showing off for his friends and not paying attention while driving. Whatever.
Are you serious! Someone died!! I hope this happens to your kids one day!
Parent of injured

Laurel, MD

#208 Oct 24, 2008
JAM wrote:
Very sad to hear about this accident. My prayers to the victims and their families. This sort of thing should be in the minds of parents when they allow their children to get into a vehicle driven by another teen. Remember until they are eighteen you are the boss.
Are you with your child 24/7??? You can set rules, but cannot be there every moment to be sure they are following the rule. The standing rule has always been NOT to get in a car driven by anyone other than an adult. The rule was broken and ended in tragedy.
Little Research

Arlington, VA

#209 Oct 24, 2008
Looks like these kids weren't so innocent after all.

They should put him in juvie until he's 21. Better yet, try him as an adult for manslaughter and put him away for ten years. They should also charge the rest of the kids as much as possible. Throw some heavy fines for contributing to this crash as much as possible. NONE of them should be allowed to get licenses till they are 25.

Teen Driver Violated Conditions of License
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/...
Little Research

Arlington, VA

#210 Oct 24, 2008
They should also arrest the driver's parents for manslaughter, and charge these parents for allowing their kids to be in a vehicle with this driver.
JansRyche

Suitland, MD

#211 Oct 24, 2008
Little Research wrote:
Looks like these kids weren't so innocent after all.
They should put him in juvie until he's 21. Better yet, try him as an adult for manslaughter and put him away for ten years. They should also charge the rest of the kids as much as possible. Throw some heavy fines for contributing to this crash as much as possible. NONE of them should be allowed to get licenses till they are 25.
Teen Driver Violated Conditions of License
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/...
You are very disturbed. Why is it you believe the children RIDING in the car should be charged? You are one mentally distubed person.
Go away lady
ReneePareja

Arlington, VA

#212 Oct 24, 2008
I have to agree with Kat now that I've read the news about him having a license for a week. Stupid, irresponsible teenager caused this. He should be locked up for a long, long time.
ReneePareja

Arlington, VA

#213 Oct 24, 2008
JansRyche wrote:
<quoted text>
You are very disturbed. Why is it you believe the children RIDING in the car should be charged? You are one mentally distubed person.
Go away lady
I have to agree with LR on this. If they knew he had a license for a week, and got in the vehicle, they should be charged in Ryan's death.
Checkers

Arlington, VA

#214 Oct 24, 2008
You can have all the laws in the world for teen drivers on the books, but as long as there are idiot teens who think they're above the law and parents who shirk their responsibility in supervising their teens, these deaths will continue.
Angry Citizen

Arlington, VA

#215 Oct 24, 2008
CitizenPayne wrote:
Oh, this makes me so mad.
I am sorry this happened. But the truth is, the kids made the wrong decision. It was against the law for the teen driver to have these passengers in the car. They made the decisions not to wear seatbelts. Why didn't they call a parent for a ride home? Because that wouldn't be popular?
Montgomery County's State's Attorney should immediately bring charges forth in this case. The driver willingly violated the law, and the first penalty is immediate revocation of his license until age 21. This is the law and it should be applied here ASAP. No one else should become a victim of this driver's poor judgement and intentional violation of our driving laws. Also, I think he should be tried as an adult, as he is responsible for the death of another.
I am curious if he not only was driving the kids home from the prayer meeting, but also did he drive them to the meeting as well. The driver had his license for 2 weeks! The passengers had to have know this. You take your life in your own hands when you ride with an inexperienced driver. How did the kids get to church? Who was supposed to take them home? Who walked them to the car or was out in the parking lot when they departed? If so, where is the responsibility of the parents? And as for the leader of the prayer group, did he know the driver was in violation of the law? Was he following the vehicle as a precaution? Is he also to blame somewhat? Regardless, this is a tragedy that happened because someone decided he would violate the law. If he isn't prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, then why should any other teen driver obey our driving laws in this state? Will our justice department in Montgomery County send a message of no tolerance for this type of behavior? Or, will it decide a couple of hours of community service is proper punishment for the death of a 15 year old who had his whole life ahead of him. As a taxpayer, and as a parent, I demand a full investigation into this accident, including if the driver was also speeding, which seems obvious.
I recommend massive community service and house arrest. Make him go to Shock Trauma, the morgue, and funeral homes. Let him see what the medical team has to try and repair, what the medical examiner has to determine, and what the funeral director has to beautify for viewing and burial. Have him speak at every high school in the State of Maryland. I think think of a lot of punishment that doesn't involve jail time, but may make him wish it was an option. Make the friends involved tagalong with him! One person could have said, it is illegal to drive with Kimble and I'm waiting for my mother/father to pik me up or I am getting a ride home with deacon/pastor/sister/brother whomever.

I also think the parents share responsibility in this accident. They too should have to provide community service by speaking to the legal guardians of all new drivers. Give them a list and make them go door-to-door! Make them stand with their son at every public speaking engagement and walk the morgue with him!
Perhaps the church to which these children belong will consider teaching laws and license restrictions are in place for a good reason and should be obeyed. It would be a good moral lesson.

Those who were involved in this tragedy sound like good kids, but even good kids need to be taught to respect and obey the law. Did any adult see this group get in the car and not challenge what was going on? Isn't this similar to allowing your drunk friend to get behind the wheel of a car? Hopefully, the church adults who are involved with teenagers know the law about the restricted license provision for new drivers, and knew the driver well enough to know it applied to him. Perhaps there is a lot of blame to go around on this one, and I hope those involved will now take some action to make sure it doesn't happen again in their community. Something positive should come from this tragedy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washington, DC Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump for President, He will win. watch 23 min In Your Dreams 2
Healthcare Racketeering 39 min Stark I Stark II 55
Mark these words Trump Will Win Watch 6 hr not Rev Ike 16
Corrupt politicans unite, Lick Clinton's ??? 18 hr lake bay boy 1
Google: HPV Causes Cancer Sat WATCHDOG 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Sat Hipocrit 20,505
snapcash for nudess Sat Cronin327 8

Washington, DC Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Washington, DC Mortgages