Allen West: Social Security disabilit...

Allen West: Social Security disability is 'modern slavery'

There are 19 comments on the The Daily Caller story from Jul 10, 2012, titled Allen West: Social Security disability is 'modern slavery'. In it, The Daily Caller reports that:

In this July 30, 2011 file photo, Rep. Allen West, R-Fla. talks on Capitol Hill in Washington.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily Caller.

CONSERVATIVE

Blairsville, GA

#1 Jul 10, 2012
Do we need a "safety net" like SS, yes. But I believe like every other gov't program it has been used by politicians as a means of manipulating people to do what they want or else, in essence making "slaves" of them as West suggests. It has also been abused by those who use it. Fraud is rampant as in just about all gov't programs. The bottom line as usual is the taxpayers get screwed. This among a host of reasons is why gov't needs reforms from top to bottom, and we're just the ones to do it! Tea Party 2012!
mike

Cookeville, TN

#2 Jul 10, 2012
CONSERVATIVE wrote:
Do we need a "safety net" like SS, yes. But I believe like every other gov't program it has been used by politicians as a means of manipulating people to do what they want or else, in essence making "slaves" of them as West suggests. It has also been abused by those who use it. Fraud is rampant as in just about all gov't programs. The bottom line as usual is the taxpayers get screwed. This among a host of reasons is why gov't needs reforms from top to bottom, and we're just the ones to do it! Tea Party 2012!
Really go around ask how mant those over 65 collect SS and ask them if it should be abolished and see what answer you get.Ask MR WEST why he had to retire from the army and ask him why he doesnt scream anymore that hes gonna impeach the president.WEST is a classless jerk a crybaby who wants attention and by doing so alienates others with his statements.You think getting rid of SS will solve the problems no.Are you willing take care of the elderly out your pocket.All i hear is well theyll take care of the problem when they cant even get thir act together a case of eating their young.Yeah you think you get screwed over SS but buddy a lot of people its the only thing they got to live on and saying their lazy is irresponsible...

Since: Jan 11

Abingdon, VA

#3 Jul 10, 2012
mike wrote:
<quoted text>Really go around ask how mant those over 65 collect SS and ask them if it should be abolished and see what answer you get.Ask MR WEST why he had to retire from the army and ask him why he doesnt scream anymore that hes gonna impeach the president.WEST is a classless jerk a crybaby who wants attention and by doing so alienates others with his statements.You think getting rid of SS will solve the problems no.Are you willing take care of the elderly out your pocket.All i hear is well theyll take care of the problem when they cant even get thir act together a case of eating their young.Yeah you think you get screwed over SS but buddy a lot of people its the only thing they got to live on and saying their lazy is irresponsible...
I don't think anyone said abolish it. More innovation is needed. Allow for expansion into private accounts, trust funds, diversify the funds. It's nothing more than a redistribution plan right now and a portion of it is taken away to pay for medicare.

Actually, the reason West had to retire is what I like about him. To throw away a career to save the lives of his men is very admirable to me.
mike

United States

#4 Jul 10, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think anyone said abolish it. More innovation is needed. Allow for expansion into private accounts, trust funds, diversify the funds. It's nothing more than a redistribution plan right now and a portion of it is taken away to pay for medicare.
Actually, the reason West had to retire is what I like about him. To throw away a career to save the lives of his men is very admirable to me.
Yah but he acts like hes still in the army and his cheap shots AT THOSE WHO DONT GO ALONG WITH HIM tell me hes more smoke than fire.As for privatization well that goes back to GOLDWATER and wasnt very popular but your right on thing-we need to fix it or we may not have SS and medicare..
CONSERVATIVE

Blairsville, GA

#5 Jul 10, 2012
mike wrote:
<quoted text>Really go around ask how mant those over 65 collect SS and ask them if it should be abolished and see what answer you get.Ask MR WEST why he had to retire from the army and ask him why he doesnt scream anymore that hes gonna impeach the president.WEST is a classless jerk a crybaby who wants attention and by doing so alienates others with his statements.You think getting rid of SS will solve the problems no.Are you willing take care of the elderly out your pocket.All i hear is well theyll take care of the problem when they cant even get thir act together a case of eating their young.Yeah you think you get screwed over SS but buddy a lot of people its the only thing they got to live on and saying their lazy is irresponsible...
Are you really that stupid? No one has said "abolish" SS. I do however think it is pathetic that there are Americans who have become so dependent on a gov't program that even the mention of changing it, even to keep it solvent, sends people screaming into the night like a bunch of punks. I think it is more irrisponsible to ignore that fact that many on SS have been lazy. There is no one to blame for their condition but them. Whether through bad choices or bad luck. BTW I'm already caring for the elderly out of my pocket. I'M FORCED TO BY LAW, IT'S CALLED SOCIAL SECURUTY! It's what we've been talking about, dumbass! That is the fundamental difference in right and wrong... I mean left. We believe people should be made to take individual responsibility for their lives, in turn becoming self reliant. We are the people who want gov't as far out of our pockets, way, and lives as possible. We'll provide for ourselves. Then there is the wrong... I mean liberal approach. Just give them what they want, so long as they keep voting for us! This is the approach that has given us the dependent class we have today, congratulations! You've managed to turn a predominately independent people into a bunch of sniveling, petulant, brats! Just another reason you have to go! Tea Party 2012!

Since: Jan 11

Abingdon, VA

#6 Jul 10, 2012
mike wrote:
<quoted text>Yah but he acts like hes still in the army and his cheap shots AT THOSE WHO DONT GO ALONG WITH HIM tell me hes more smoke than fire.As for privatization well that goes back to GOLDWATER and wasnt very popular but your right on thing-we need to fix it or we may not have SS and medicare..
I wouldn't get into the cheap shot area. The left doesn't like it when it's back at cha.:-)

I don't think anyone wants to completely privatize it either. Their should be options available, a choice. The ability to diversify and maybe put some of your contribution in the private area such as an IRA for an example, or an annuity. Check out Galveston County, Texas. The county government opted out and went to private plans.

Goldwater blew it when he came out against the civil rights legislation against all of the republicans who were pushing for it. Southern blacks were republicans up until then. Goldwater's concern was the federal intrusion into private property.
CONSERVATIVE

Blairsville, GA

#7 Jul 10, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't get into the cheap shot area. The left doesn't like it when it's back at cha.:-)
I don't think anyone wants to completely privatize it either. Their should be options available, a choice. The ability to diversify and maybe put some of your contribution in the private area such as an IRA for an example, or an annuity. Check out Galveston County, Texas. The county government opted out and went to private plans.
Goldwater blew it when he came out against the civil rights legislation against all of the republicans who were pushing for it. Southern blacks were republicans up until then. Goldwater's concern was the federal intrusion into private property.
Galveston is the example we should be following nationally.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#8 Jul 10, 2012
CONSERVATIVE wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you really that stupid? No one has said "abolish" SS. I do however think it is pathetic that there are Americans who have become so dependent on a gov't program that even the mention of changing it, even to keep it solvent, sends people screaming into the night like a bunch of punks. I think it is more irrisponsible to ignore that fact that many on SS have been lazy. There is no one to blame for their condition but them. Whether through bad choices or bad luck. BTW I'm already caring for the elderly out of my pocket. I'M FORCED TO BY LAW, IT'S CALLED SOCIAL SECURUTY! It's what we've been talking about, dumbass! That is the fundamental difference in right and wrong... I mean left. We believe people should be made to take individual responsibility for their lives, in turn becoming self reliant. We are the people who want gov't as far out of our pockets, way, and lives as possible. We'll provide for ourselves. Then there is the wrong... I mean liberal approach. Just give them what they want, so long as they keep voting for us! This is the approach that has given us the dependent class we have today, congratulations! You've managed to turn a predominately independent people into a bunch of sniveling, petulant, brats! Just another reason you have to go! Tea Party 2012!
Yeah, like pay their own health care and NOT go to Emergency Room for stuff that could be taken care of or prevented by an annual doctor visit. The rest of us have to pay for those ER visits. Soon all those who don't pay for health insurance will have to pay a fine, if they are of a certain income that is.
People who gett SS have likely paid into it and should be allowed to keep it. West and other Tea Partiers and Republicans want to privatize it and then it will be gone in the next wall St crash.
There will be another crash because there is no Regulation to stop them from doing what they did in 08. Since they are FDIC we taxpayers will have to bail them out again. That is BS. Banks need rules like all of us need some rules. Just put your money in a Credit Union. Thats what I did.
solidarity

Jensen Beach, FL

#10 Jul 15, 2012
Social Security is a government insurance. We, Americans, already paid for that insurance policy during our productive working years. Most advanced countries, with advanced social systems (such as England, Canada, etc.) already have social security government type insurance for their citizens. Allen West has no right ( as politician, as African American, as former Army officer Lt. Col) to put his hands in "social security" , and calling it a "form of slavery". We paid for this benefit, it not free for Americans (it is an insurance policy) since is already paid for. However, to better answer Allen West, l;et me remind him and his "friends" in politics, the following: When Bill Clinton left the presidency, the social security fund had a surplus. It was prohibited by the government to tap into social security funds for any reason what-so-ever. It was president Bush who illegally used the social security reserves (legislated to change the law in order to tap into social security surplus reserves) to finance 2 wars that cost the tax payers 1 trillion dollars (money obtained mostly from the social security surplus funds). As a consequence of this, the American people were the victims of the theft of their social security funds. That is why the GOP (who stole social security from us in the first place) would like to repeal and get rid of social security. DSo they do not have to pay it back (money that was "borrowed" without our permission), or in other words legally stolen from social security funds ( We, Americans, pay for that surplus fund that was stolen by the Republicans. To make it worse, Rick Perry (Texas Governor) called social security a "ponzy scheme". What type of scheme was the stealing of the social security funds to finance 2 wars of trillion of dollars? I am a Republican (now an Independent) I am not going to permit Allen West to "bamboozle" us with his tea party "patriots" rhetoric. The tea Party have no "patriotic" nothing, and Allen West is a traitor to African Americans, to the Army, and to the elderly and disable Social Security recipients of America. The AARP will take care of Allen West! He is FIRED!
solidarity

Jensen Beach, FL

#11 Jul 15, 2012
CONSERVATIVE wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you are wrong, this is another reason why YOU HAVE TO GO! Tea party like you are not only obstructionist, but anti-Americans. All you want is to ged rid of "any step forward" pro-American we made since the 1940's. You are totally disconnected from the reality of the American middle class. You are totally disconnected from the reality of the elderly population receiving social security. Do you have parents? Do you have a mother? Do you have an elderly father? Do you have a disable relative? This is what social security is, an insurance for the elderly and disable American! If the Tea Party uses the American social security as their platform, they will be erased from existence by a an incredible mass of voters never seen in any American election year. Tea Party vs the social security platform will be the last mistake of the Tea Party. You and your Tea Party will be joining the Dynosaurus, Republicsaurus and the Obtructionsaurus soon! The AARP will take care of you! This is one (among many) reason why YOU HAVE TO GO! and we, the elderly, will MAKE YOU GO for good!
Obummer

Lockport, IL

#12 Jul 15, 2012
If you make under 10k you can still pop into the emergency room, so much for cost savings for the taxpayers. I wonder why he did not campaign on this for obamacare.........
Cousin DuPrees Cousin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, like pay their own health care and NOT go to Emergency Room for stuff that could be taken care of or prevented by an annual doctor visit. The rest of us have to pay for those ER visits. Soon all those who don't pay for health insurance will have to pay a fine, if they are of a certain income that is.
People who gett SS have likely paid into it and should be allowed to keep it. West and other Tea Partiers and Republicans want to privatize it and then it will be gone in the next wall St crash.
There will be another crash because there is no Regulation to stop them from doing what they did in 08. Since they are FDIC we taxpayers will have to bail them out again. That is BS. Banks need rules like all of us need some rules. Just put your money in a Credit Union. Thats what I did.
Wake Up the Slut

Bronx, NY

#13 Jul 15, 2012
Obummer wrote:
If you make under 10k you can still pop into the emergency room, so much for cost savings for the taxpayers. I wonder why he did not campaign on this for obamacare......... <quoted text>
You should know, I wounder how much money the taxpayers shell out just for you getting your weekly clap shots at the emergency room.
Why is it

United States

#14 Jul 15, 2012
Bush said 4% of every dollar we put in and the Dems say he wants to defund and destroy. Completely misrepresenting what was said. West talks about DISABILTY SS and you people turn it into a debate on the entire Social Security system and retirees.
My Gawd people. At least debate the actual topic instead of changing the entire debate.
Obummercare repeal

Lockport, IL

#15 Jul 15, 2012
Wake Up the Slut is trapped in their own IP address.
Wake Up the Slut wrote:
<quoted text>
You should know, I wounder how much money the taxpayers shell out just for you getting your weekly clap shots at the emergency room.
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

#17 Jul 15, 2012
While an argument could be made that people falsifying their actual status in order to scam the disability sections of SS Law are indeed disabled simply because they are incapable of living an honest, productive life, a stronger argument can be made they are simply criminal minded. The reliance of the New Left Democrats on maintaining criminally inclined voting bases is a culturally self-destructive imposition of a slave mentality encouraging sloth.
unpartisan

Miami, FL

#18 Jul 16, 2012
solidarity wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you are wrong, this is another reason why YOU HAVE TO GO! Tea party like you are not only obstructionist, but anti-Americans. All you want is to ged rid of "any step forward" pro-American we made since the 1940's. You are totally disconnected from the reality of the American middle class. You are totally disconnected from the reality of the elderly population receiving social security. Do you have parents? Do you have a mother? Do you have an elderly father? Do you have a disable relative? This is what social security is, an insurance for the elderly and disable American! If the Tea Party uses the American social security as their platform, they will be erased from existence by a an incredible mass of voters never seen in any American election year. Tea Party vs the social security platform will be the last mistake of the Tea Party. You and your Tea Party will be joining the Dynosaurus, Republicsaurus and the Obtructionsaurus soon! The AARP will take care of you! This is one (among many) reason why YOU HAVE TO GO! and we, the elderly, will MAKE YOU GO for good!
Sure, I got all those old people related to me you list. And they all planned and saved on their own for retirement. They don't need SS for survival into old age as they took their own initiative to be financially independant. They had opportunities in this country and they made damn well sure to take advantage of them. Yet they still take SS, and just like most all the other SS recipients, they're receiving more out of SS than they ever put in. THAT there is the the whole entire problem. Folks like you cry that "you paid for it" while slyly leaving out the harsh fact that you'll likely take out far more than you ever paid in. Nice to hear that you WERE a fiscal conservative til you yourself needed assistance, LOL.
solidarity

Jensen Beach, FL

#19 Jul 16, 2012
unpartisan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, I got all those old people related to me you list. And they all planned and saved on their own for retirement. They don't need SS for survival into old age as they took their own initiative to be financially independant. They had opportunities in this country and they made damn well sure to take advantage of them. Yet they still take SS, and just like most all the other SS recipients, they're receiving more out of SS than they ever put in. THAT there is the the whole entire problem. Folks like you cry that "you paid for it" while slyly leaving out the harsh fact that you'll likely take out far more than you ever paid in. Nice to hear that you WERE a fiscal conservative til you yourself needed assistance, LOL.
First, the word is "independent", not independant. Learn English, or use spell check before making an ass of yourself with this forum. Yes, my parents, my brothers, and even myself, started IRA's and 401 K accounts decades ago. After 3 stock market crash ( one in the 1980's, one in the 1990's and 2 during the years 2000's, there is not much money saved left for the regular American, that as you said, saved well for their own retirement. In addition, most people always counted with the value of their home, however, since the housing market collapsed big time, you can not count with that asset any longer. 80% of Americans now depend on SS for retirement years, at least for some % of retirement income or perhaps all the income. The rest, if any, is money from retirement accounts and or pensions, all all of then (if any).. As most corporations and even government pensions are bankrupt (check the national reality, you idiot) now more than ever, Americans are in need of that SS check now and in the future.
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#20 Jul 17, 2012
Allen West is right on!

Allen West for president!
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#21 Jul 17, 2012
Say NO to the "cash for clunkers" president!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washington, DC Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Steve Bannon resigned as White House Chief Stra... 31 min Aponi 5
Aponi Etc Hair Caught Across Ass!!!!! 1 hr Aponi 3
George Norcross steals from poor people to live... 2 hr Tom 1
Russia Russia Russia 3 hr False Flag Follies 1
sweden RAPE CAPITAL OF EUROPE 4 hr kansasKLOWN 4
lola the libtard 4 hr LOL 7
southern poverty law center - HATE GROUP 4 hr addie daddy 1
What's truly disgusting about the KKK and Alt r... 5 hr MamaSays 87
libtards = NAZIS 7 hr Liar in Chief 11

Washington, DC Jobs