DC Students Cash In On Good Grades, B...

DC Students Cash In On Good Grades, Behavior

There are 24 comments on the NBC 4 Washington, DC story from Oct 19, 2008, titled DC Students Cash In On Good Grades, Behavior. In it, NBC 4 Washington, DC reports that:

Students at 15 D.C. middle schools have received their first reward checks for good grades and behavior.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 4 Washington, DC.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rainey

Woodbridge, VA

#1 Oct 19, 2008
I have a son who is a junior in high school. If I were a parent with a child in a school that offered this program, I would remove him. This is reinforcing the "what's in it for me" attitude that far too many kids have these days. At home, kids have electronic babysitters (TV, DVDs, computers, video game systems, ipods, etc) and parents who just want to keep the peace at home and not upset the children by not giving in to their every whim. Now the school systems are stooping to bribery to get little Johnny and Suzie to show up on time, bring in their homework, and not disrupt the class? Unless or until ADULTS grow backbones, take back their homes, and start dishing out consequences to their children and demand good behavior for the same reason MY parents did ("As long as you live in MY house, you WILL follow MY rules"; "Because I said so"; "I'm the momma, that's why"; "So-n-so doesn't live here; if you want to do that, go live at So-n-so's house"), our children are being allowed, nay encouraged, to be their own worst enemies!! Whatever happened to teaching students some version of what I learned as the Golden Rule? Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Children are not being taught this important lesson anywhere in their lives, and it shows! PS in the end, the "Golden Rule" is FREE!!!!
dude

Bel Air, MD

#2 Oct 19, 2008
Look this program is not for you. You might be a great parent like you say, but this is for that child who was no one else to turn to. This is for that child who's raises and teaches thierself at home.Instead of looking to criminals for money or attention, the school offers that to the child saving them from street life. Just like you i was lucky enough to have caring parents.
truth hurts

Ashburn, VA

#3 Oct 19, 2008
The average payout per student is expected to be $100 every 2 weeks according to the program details. Also reported to be only for the 13 middle schools that "qualify" whatever that means.
Now the teachers are being taxed with how to hand out money, who didn't get enough, who showed favortism ect. All so that DC can pay kids to not work all summer, and pay them to sit in school just to keep them off the streets..

The big question is. Do they have counselors to help them fill out paperwork to apply for welfare before they graduate. Because if not, they are doing the children a great disservice.

Because these kids won't be qualified to take out the trash, much less hold down a job. Unless you count the 34 cents per hour they'll make at the prison laundry.
Mr-Pibb

Washington, DC

#4 Oct 19, 2008
The program sends the wrong message.
NukeLangleyPark

Mechanicsville, MD

#5 Oct 19, 2008
I thought this was a bad idea until I saw the look on one child's face. I'd rather see then earn money getting good grades and feel some pride and accomplishment rather than selling drugs. I say let's give it a chance.These kids probably come from single parent homes that couldn't give a crap what they do.
truth hurts

Ashburn, VA

#6 Oct 19, 2008
NukeLangleyPark wrote:
I thought this was a bad idea until I saw the look on one child's face. I'd rather see then earn money getting good grades and feel some pride and accomplishment rather than selling drugs. I say let's give it a chance.These kids probably come from single parent homes that couldn't give a crap what they do.
So the only options are being payed for doing what you're supposed to do or being a felon drug dealer. Wow, maybe you should raise your standards and your expectations. Who knows, the kids could surprise you.

Maybe spend that money on school maintenance and books?
Bankrupted By Taxes

Hyattsville, MD

#7 Oct 19, 2008
The D.C government spends roughly $24,000 per student per year (when you take the total school budget divided by the number of students). The best private schools in D.C. cost under $15,000 per student per year. At almost twice the cost of elite private schools, why are D.C. schools some of the worst in the nation? I'll bet D.C. is run entirely by EEeevvviillll Republicans, right? That's why D.C. is so incredibly poorly manages, corrupt, and refuses to give children opportunities.
dude

Bel Air, MD

#8 Oct 19, 2008
truth hurts wrote:
The average payout per student is expected to be $100 every 2 weeks according to the program details. Also reported to be only for the 13 middle schools that "qualify" whatever that means.
Now the teachers are being taxed with how to hand out money, who didn't get enough, who showed favortism ect. All so that DC can pay kids to not work all summer, and pay them to sit in school just to keep them off the streets..
The big question is. Do they have counselors to help them fill out paperwork to apply for welfare before they graduate. Because if not, they are doing the children a great disservice.
Because these kids won't be qualified to take out the trash, much less hold down a job. Unless you count the 34 cents per hour they'll make at the prison laundry.
you dont understand because you choose to make it a welfare, ghetto, or poor ghetto black kid issue. if the program keep 13 kids away from selling drugs its worth it. give these poor kids some type of chance. they dont have it where mom and dad are big money winners like your people. i dont care what color the kid is i just want to help them.

Since: Apr 08

MARYLAND

#9 Oct 20, 2008
who's STUPID idea was this....paying kids to go to school.....real smart.Why does everything revolve around MONEY.
Will

Falls Church, VA

#10 Oct 20, 2008
Harvard proposed this idea? No wonder they produced Barry Hussein Osama. Harvard is essentially admitting that blacks are not equal, they need to lower the bar for admissions for them, lower the expectations in college for them, and now, heck, well PAY them to go to school because they cant figure out the value of an education and how it PAYS you down the road. ALLWAYS the easy way for blacks, never just do the hard work first.
DC Schools are the biggest fuckin disgrace ever. And the poster who says they spend twice the price for a elite education is correct, We flush more federal tax dollars down the crapper on these kids then on the suburban white children and they still cry discrimination. YOU people are discriminating against yourselves with your own lack of moral fiber.
You People

Washington, DC

#11 Oct 20, 2008
This goes out to Will,Truth Hurts,and Rainey....STFU!!!! LLS
truth hurts

Ashburn, VA

#12 Oct 20, 2008
You People wrote:
This goes out to Will,Truth Hurts,and Rainey....STFU!!!! LLS
Why don't you go stand in line for a check, and let the adults talk?
truth hurts

Ashburn, VA

#13 Oct 20, 2008
dude wrote:
<quoted text>
you dont understand because you choose to make it a welfare, ghetto, or poor ghetto black kid issue. if the program keep 13 kids away from selling drugs its worth it. give these poor kids some type of chance. they dont have it where mom and dad are big money winners like your people. i dont care what color the kid is i just want to help them.
By your own admission, it IS a "welfare, ghetto, or poor ghetto black kid issue". Look at your words, "your people", "kids selling drugs". I don't understand because I'm white..........I understand that FREE has no value. Do you?

Give them a chance? What do you call a FREE education, subsidised meals, free sports programs and a free ride to and from school?

How many of the kids that got a check are white? It becomes a race issue, when all these programs are steered directly to the black community. Even channel 4's "tuesday child" (adopt a foster child) is ALWAYS a black kid. What, no whites or asians are in foster care?

I don't think ANY kid should get a check/payed for doing what they are supposed to do. Why not give their parents a check for every month they are not in prison, costing tax payer money to house them? Don't laugh, this has actually been proposed. What a joke.
JAM

Sterling, VA

#14 Oct 20, 2008
NukeLangleyPark wrote:
I thought this was a bad idea until I saw the look on one child's face. I'd rather see then earn money getting good grades and feel some pride and accomplishment rather than selling drugs. I say let's give it a chance.These kids probably come from single parent homes that couldn't give a crap what they do.
There is no doubt that all of these kids come from single family homes and probably don't know or have little contact with their "baby daddy". That being said, in the long run it would be better to quit paying garden implements to be illegitimate parents.
JAM

Sterling, VA

#15 Oct 20, 2008
Will wrote:
Harvard proposed this idea? No wonder they produced Barry Hussein Osama. Harvard is essentially admitting that blacks are not equal, they need to lower the bar for admissions for them, lower the expectations in college for them, and now, heck, well PAY them to go to school because they cant figure out the value of an education and how it PAYS you down the road. ALLWAYS the easy way for blacks, never just do the hard work first.
DC Schools are the biggest fuckin disgrace ever. And the poster who says they spend twice the price for a elite education is correct, We flush more federal tax dollars down the crapper on these kids then on the suburban white children and they still cry discrimination. YOU people are discriminating against yourselves with your own lack of moral fiber.
This is so true. It is amazing to me that more Blacks have not caught onto the Liberals racism. After all if they thought that Blacks were as capable as Whites then they would hold them to the same standards.
tired of apes

Laurel, MD

#16 Oct 20, 2008
Only in F-ing DC!!PATHETIC
fed up with the mess

United States

#17 Oct 20, 2008
tired of apes wrote:
Only in **** DC!!PATHETIC
Why are you tired of you mother and her kind????? She gave birth to you ape child.
truth hurts

Ashburn, VA

#18 Oct 20, 2008
Getting paid to NOT work in the DC jobs program, and then getting paid, just for going to school. THIS IS NOT HELPING ANYONE.

No wonder black male unemployment rate in DC is over 29%... And that's the second lowest in the country for black males. As opposed to a national level of 4.8%
..........
Gene Warner, Buffalo News, October 15, 2008
When an economics professor in Milwaukee studied the issue of black male unemployment, he found that his city had the second-highest such jobless rate in the nation last year.

Buffalo had a black male jobless rate of 51.4%

Denver had the lowest black male jobless rate, 28.7 percent, followed by WASHINGTON with 29.5 percent and San Diego with 31.1.

The data, according to Levineís study for the universityís Center for Economic Development, are based on figures from the U. S. Census Bureauís American Community Survey.
dusty

Baltimore, MD

#19 Oct 21, 2008
I do not believe we should be paying children to go to school or get good grades. I expected my child to do all these things and he knew it. The problem starts at home. if parents/guardians are not active in their children's life, this is what happens, the have to bribe the student. Bribing is not a good way to teach. Imagine these children when they get a "real" job, asking for this and that everytime the boss asks them to do a task. Kids should be expected not paid to do this!!!!!!
fed up with the mess

United States

#20 Oct 21, 2008
dusty wrote:
I do not believe we should be paying children to go to school or get good grades. I expected my child to do all these things and he knew it. The problem starts at home. if parents/guardians are not active in their children's life, this is what happens, the have to bribe the student. Bribing is not a good way to teach. Imagine these children when they get a "real" job, asking for this and that everytime the boss asks them to do a task. Kids should be expected not paid to do this!!!!!!
When your parents are LD crack heads where does this training come from then?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washington, DC Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Baltimore is the Tip of The Iceberg in The War ... 9 hr Culture Auditor 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 13 hr Samuel-7g-Jackson 19,932
I Love Barack Obama ( Get Saved Brother) Fri I LOVE YOU 1
Save Barack Obama ( Get Him Baptized) Fri get saved now 1
Obama has wars Fri Presidents WARS 1
Blacks always act like animals Fri fedupwiththemess 76
The INESCAPEBLE QUESTION ( ARE YOU BORN AGAIN) Thu Thank God Im Saved 24
More from around the web

Washington, DC People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]