Restaurant Owner Disputes Chinese Foo...

Restaurant Owner Disputes Chinese Food Claims

There are 14 comments on the WUSA Washington, DC story from Mar 26, 2007, titled Restaurant Owner Disputes Chinese Food Claims. In it, WUSA Washington, DC reports that:

Some Chinese restaurant owners are steamed about a new report calling Chinese food a nutritional disaster.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WUSA Washington, DC.

Corinna Shen

Halethorpe, MD

#1 Mar 27, 2007
Thank you.
Stan

Owens Cross Roads, AL

#2 Mar 27, 2007
Basically, Chinese cooking is an art, not a scientifical test. It means all depends on whatever customer's favor and chef will cook as requested. There is no scientifical formula for the dish of General Tsao's Chicken or any Chinese dishes; there is no exact volume of salt, sugar, spice, or sauce for a dish either.

So, if customer do care about his/her health needs, just ask for less salt or sugar when ordering. It will be funny if one complaint to Donkin Donut for too much sugar, or Popye Fried Chicken for salty. That's the way it is. IN Chinese restaurant, tell them what you want when ordering. Just like "no MSG, please".

In general, Chinese food is healthier due to quick stir fry with more vegetables in a dish. The volumes of salt, sugar, spice and sauce are all depends on the taste of customer, not chef themselves.
Jeannie Shen

Halethorpe, MD

#3 Mar 28, 2007
I love to eat at Seven Seas.
Arvin

Lanham, MD

#4 Mar 29, 2007
Since relocating to Potomac MD, I've had the pleasure of eating take out from Seven Seas Restaurant on several occasions. The quality of the food is well above the Chinese restaurants used in the study. Condemning the food of an entire country and labeling it as unhealthy should make any thoughtful person suspicious, especially since we're referring to a Country as large as China. Throughout history, there are countless examples of how devastating generalizations can be and if we are not careful, we risk being influenced by fundamentally flawed studies such as this one. (Note: I haven't read the study. Just responding to what was presented on 9News.)
oddball

Romney, WV

#5 Mar 29, 2007
Oh boy, here we go again!The food police are at it again!I have eaten a lot of Chinese food and there have been times I've requeted no MSG.Again it's common sense.If you don't like it,then don't eat it!!!I'd rather eat Chinese,than McDonalds!!
Candie

Washington, DC

#6 Mar 29, 2007
Since my travels in Asia, I realize that most of the Chinese takeout menu has been modified to suit tastes that are more familiar to Americans. You hardly or never hear of dishes like General Tso's or orange beef. Dishes that I tried were mostly stir-fried, steamed or simmered in a pot, and has less MSG.

I also learned that Chinese food is very flexible. All you have to do is ask for less oil and salt, and they are usually very accomodating. I love Chinese food and I rate it one of the healthiest cuisines for dining out, especially if you choose wisely.
Jack

Jessup, MD

#7 Apr 3, 2007
I disagree what the media said against Traditional Chinese Food. Tranditional Chinese is really well done in terms of nutrition, presentable, tastes. The material is very selective and natural and the way it is cooked is in a very right way like steaming, grille, searing...
Chiling Tong

Falls Church, VA

#8 Apr 5, 2007
Chinese food has been served for over five thousand years. Corinna Shen's Seven Seas Restaurant has uniquely and nutritionally contributed to this great culture and art.
Seph

Falls Church, VA

#9 Apr 5, 2007
The comments posted prior to this one all bring up valid points. It is in the patron's best interest to make any special dietary requests, and it is true that the claim that Chinese food is unhealthy is far too general. Evaluating the nutritional benefits of food must done on a case by case basis. There are too many factors involved (i.e. the experience of the chef, quality of the ingredients, and the motivations of the business owner, to name a few).

Seven Seas serves very high quality food, both healthy and enjoyable. It's unfortunate that the many quality driven Chinese restaurant owners will be affected by this study.
Chyang Fang

Falls Church, VA

#10 Apr 11, 2007
For any type of cooking, there are healthy dishes and not so healthy dishes. It is your decision on what to order and eat. Don't blame on the chef. I seldom eat hamburgers or fried chickens.
Peter

Grand Blanc, MI

#11 Apr 11, 2007
For any type of food like light Spectrum, there are UV, Visible, NiR IR the same as political sprctrum with neo, right, mid, left, so is food. In food, there are Non-healthy dishes, not so healthy dishes, healthy dishes, and extreme healthy dishes in food spectrum. Does matter it is Chinese food, American food, Italy food or even Japanese food with same food spectrum. You are master of your health, not Chinese resultant chefs. It is totally your decision as customer. Don't blame on the anyone else. I seldom eat delicious & non healthy food of any kinds.

But it is Chinese resultant job to educate or to advise customer & CSPI how to order healthy & delicious dishes.
CC Yu

West Mclean, VA

#12 Apr 11, 2007
I am a chef working in a Chinese Restaurant and I have seen many of American ordering unhealthy fried food. It is people's choice on how to ead healthy or not.
Chinese food in general is very healthy.
How can we educate people to eat healthy is what we should work on.
Sherry Hwang

Alexandria, VA

#13 Apr 11, 2007
I totally agreed with Corina. We cook different chinese food which contains less oil, less fat, and a lesser portion of meat. When I came to the States in 1984, I was dumbfounded by the menu in the chinese restaurant. I later found that the food in the chinese restaurant was altered. The chinese food presumed by Americans is not necessarily authentic chinese food, therefore the assumption that all chinese food is labeled as a "nutritional disaster" is completely false.
leon chai

Wenzhou, China

#14 Apr 14, 2007
I am working in a Chinese restaurant to help the foreignor how to know and order the right Chinese dishes.but I believe that each style of food has it's special way to meet the needs of nutritions. And we must know that different peolpe have the different needs of nutrition,and I am sure there is no one style food in the world could meet the needs of all people .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washington, DC Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
America got "Biattcch" Slapped by Trump 6 min tbird19482 9
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 6 min Yes yes yes 22,464
What Chump really said 31 min tbird19482 94
Biden Will Be Next President 43 min American 121
why demos dont want a wall 1 hr Aponi 5
.”Holocaust” is proven to be a Hoax. 1 hr Julius Streicher 9
Duck want a banana 1 hr aponi 4

Washington, DC Jobs

Personal Finance

Washington, DC Mortgages