Marine's father responds to Supreme C...

Marine's father responds to Supreme Court decision on Westboro Baptist

There are 36 comments on the York Dispatch story from Mar 3, 2011, titled Marine's father responds to Supreme Court decision on Westboro Baptist. In it, York Dispatch reports that:

Albert Snyder, left, the father of Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, stands alongside Sean Summers, one of his attorneys, as they speak to the media Wednesday outside the York County Administrative Center following a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that came down on the side of Westboro Baptist Church.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at York Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JAMES KINSLER

United States

#1 Mar 3, 2011
Freedom of speech is great and I am thankful to have it. The unrestrained disrespect of the Westboro Baptist Church and its members is not accomplishing their goals and probably exposes their members to great danger from vengeful families. I would have a really hard time blaming the families of our fallen soldiers for retaliation. It's pathetic that our Supreme Court doesn't have the courage to say no you can't disrespect a family or individual at a funeral. You can say what you want just not here and now. What the people of the Westboro Baptist Church are doing is extremely likely to provoke violence from anyone that respects or soldiers and the job they do.
astounded beyond belief

Ruckersville, VA

#2 Mar 3, 2011
We need an immediate recall of all but one Supreme court judge. This makes one wonder just what rights we as individuals have, against anyone else who screams bloody murder about HIS or HER rights. How is it that a bunch of idiots have the right to disturb the rights of a peaceful gathering to bury our dead. We need more people to get out and counter these idiots demonstrations, day and night. How about around their houses? How about around their work places. How about around their church. Day and Night! Le4t us show them, and the So Called Supremes that the rights of EVERYONE else should be held up to the law.
army vet 79

Laguna Niguel, CA

#4 Mar 3, 2011
what a sad day,I feel sorry for my fallen brothers that have given up the most to protect the people that have not given up anything,but somehow think they have!
Nick

Dixon, IL

#5 Mar 3, 2011
As much as I disagree with the Supreme Court ruling on this issue, it is policy, and policy guides the way we conduct business. It's neither right nor wrong - it's just policy. But can policy be changed? Fortunately, yes.
A deeper, more sinister issue exists, though: that of a ministry of hate imposing their opinion on others via the right to free speech, and under the guise of a Christian church. Their radical stance and their guerilla tactics will only attract opposing forces who will respond in kind. Then we'll see how far the Supreme Court can stretch the definition of free speech.
peedeenm

Silver City, NM

#6 Mar 3, 2011
Well, you'd need to get permits from the city, and permission from any property owner that your demonstration would be held on - just like WBC does. I'm not defending what they say, just the right to say it. They always follow the law to the t, and if you try to harass them - they will have you thrown in jail instead. This people may have stupid beliefs, but they are not stupid people.
gemeg

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Mar 3, 2011
Okay - the impotent supreme circus ruling is done .. lame as it is. There needs to be a fund established to plan a grandiose protest at Fred Phelps funeral -- and that event can't come soon enough to suit me. Envision kissing men in leather, speedos, drag queens and miles of rainbow flags. Perhaps every gay pride event for that entire glorious year can be relocated to the cemetery where his body rots.... or 1000 feet from it. His actions, and those of their god-forsaken church are terrorist in nature rather than free-speech. Shouldn't rulings from the Terrorist Act prevail? God bless Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder and his courageous family.
WillB

United States

#8 Mar 3, 2011
The Supreme Court made the right decision in defending the rights of the members of the Westboro Baptist Church. Ironically, they enjoy their inalienable right to free speech because there are men like Matthew Snyder to defend it. As misguided as their beliefs are, and as intolerable as their actions may seem, what they are doing is a testament to freedom.
The Westboro Baptist Church is typical of a bible cult. They take a few verses out of the bible to focus on, and they exclusively use those to hammer out a really screwed up ideology. As Americans, protected within our borders and under our flag, they have the right to do that.
It would be nice if they at least had the decency to make just one sign saying, "Thank you, Mr. Snyder, for defending our right to protest your funeral". I think the irony has been lost in the shock value of the protest, but the only reason the Westboro Baptist Church can hold their little protests is because of selfless men like Matt Snyder.
Bob

United States

#9 Mar 3, 2011
Did you know "God hates what God allows to be created!"

I am not into these fairy tales, but it funny that the above statement is what it all shakes out to be.

I only wish humans were not so dependent on making up lies and false assertions.
Brian M

Bend, OR

#10 Mar 3, 2011
This is Simple, Veterans get the permits necessary to protest at the funerals of any member of the WBC and show up en mass, if they are unable to bury their dead in peace maybe they will buy a clue.
Bringmedinner

Costa Mesa, CA

#11 Mar 3, 2011
It's so absurd to listen to the voices of those Leftist perverts opposing the military in so many way suddenly wrapping themselves in forms of patriotism. They can make their threats and their promises of more depravity in our faces, but the reality that THEIR behavior is solely responsible for any deterioration in morality and respect in America stands.
Rolandmi

Acworth, GA

#12 Mar 3, 2011
As much as I hate these bible-thumping nut jobs, I have to say that I agree with this ruling. If you take away their right to free speech, what is preventing someone from taking away your right to the same for something they do not agree with you about. Be it politics, religion, or other protected speech. I am not a religious or spiritual person, but I do believe in karma, or as the bible-thumpers will say, "You reap what you sow". Someone with a grudge (and there should be plenty) will come at the crackpots and take care of business......I don't think you'd have any witnesses even in a shopping mall. No one would see anything.
UTTER DISBELIEF

United States

#13 Mar 3, 2011
Those of you that agree with this verdict would also allow screaming fools inside our courts and schools. Why can't you fathom there being some restriction as to funerals of our fallen soldiers. Show some respect fools!! Do you think the WBC was what the founding fathers had in mind when the Constitution was written? Really? Wise up and protect the rights of our families too. What about the right to privacy?
Oostur Raza

San Jose, CA

#14 Mar 3, 2011
Dear Mr. snyder and family, Please accept my condolences and may God give all of you strength to bear this tremndous loss in your life.
Please do not see this as a religious, military, court or Gay issue. From the dawn of civilization, human civility has manifested as support and compassion for funerals around the globe across all civilizations. All humans simply help with funerals and extend support. Those who do not are acting in an un-civil manner and I wonder how they can be called be human. God bless you. Love and prayers from a Muslim American
The Judge

Lima, OH

#15 Mar 3, 2011
To all of you posting in support of this ruling, your idealistic statements about freedom of speech do not hold up. Law-abiding people everywhere are limted in what they can say at all times and in all situations. How is what WBC is doing any different than the "harassment by hate speech" rulings by our courts? How can these people be protected, and yet a worker can be dismissed from their job for voicing their feelings/opinions on social media websites? How is it that students (even on college campuses) can have severe restrictions on their freedom of speech? The examples of judiciated limits concerning free speech are endless.

I was always taught that a good rule of thumb to live by is that a person's rights end where someone else's rights begin; where's the concern of the court to these families' right to privacy?

There is no hard and fast rule regarding free speech, and if the court found WBC members to not be protected, very few people would have disagreed. No amount of ideological statements can justify not limiting the actions of this part of the lunatic fringe...
joek

New York, NY

#16 Mar 3, 2011
it's time the justice dept. got to work and prosecuted westboro for sedition for their anti-american rants
WillB wrote:
The Supreme Court made the right decision in defending the rights of the members of the Westboro Baptist Church. Ironically, they enjoy their inalienable right to free speech because there are men like Matthew Snyder to defend it. As misguided as their beliefs are, and as intolerable as their actions may seem, what they are doing is a testament to freedom.
The Westboro Baptist Church is typical of a bible cult. They take a few verses out of the bible to focus on, and they exclusively use those to hammer out a really screwed up ideology. As Americans, protected within our borders and under our flag, they have the right to do that.
It would be nice if they at least had the decency to make just one sign saying, "Thank you, Mr. Snyder, for defending our right to protest your funeral". I think the irony has been lost in the shock value of the protest, but the only reason the Westboro Baptist Church can hold their little protests is because of selfless men like Matt Snyder.
susan

Aurora, IL

#18 Mar 3, 2011
Mr. Snyder, Thank you for standing up to this disgusting HATE group. I am so very sorry you have had to endure this. I want to personally extend my deepest heartfelt condolences with regards to the loss of your son, Matthew. No one in their right mind agrees with this recent ruling. Stay strong and keep the faith.

Sincerely and most respectfully, Susan Hastings (IL)
bob

Fulton, NY

#21 Mar 3, 2011
ok you dont have to support the wars but ill be damned it you dont support the soldiers fighting for YOUR freedoms. every soldiers deserves to be buried without the families listening to people bashing on there son. my heart goes out to you and your family.
patriot

Huntingtown, MD

#22 Mar 3, 2011
To those of you who agree with the ruling- where is your common sense? I get tired of the knee-jerk reaction towards “freedom of speech” issues, namely anytime, anywhere- it’s all or nothing. Has anyone ever heard of limits? Even screaming and whining children have limits imposed by their parents- shouldn’t the Westboro Baptist Church be given the same benefit?
sunflower731

Mount Wolf, PA

#23 Mar 3, 2011
i back mr. snyder 100%, and he couldn't have sauid it better about the supreme courts eight justices, they don't have the common sense of a goat. how can these people be able to harass people when they are putting a loved one to rest,esp when they gave their life for our country. at 52,i was very young when i lost 2 uncles to the war. they both had purple hearts and my grandmother was given both of them, i could not imagine this going on back then, but life has changed so much.if something like this would have happened to our family i'm sure everyone involved ,grandparents, parents ,brother, sister etc would have been seriously tramatized by these actions. its not a good sign when people can die for our freedom and and people who hold themselves to decide the fate of others let something like this happen. west baptist church is only pursueing hate, they have venom in there blood and must not be very happy or even have a life that they stoop so low as to hurt someone they no nothing about.if they are so brazen then they should sign up and go to war, get out on the front lines and see what these young men who lost their lifes ,do for our country. and till they can fill the boots of any dead soldier ,they need to ceast and desist.
Patinwy

Cheyenne, WY

#24 Mar 3, 2011
Brian M wrote:
This is Simple, Veterans get the permits necessary to protest at the funerals of any member of the WBC and show up en mass, if they are unable to bury their dead in peace maybe they will buy a clue.
This actually is the best idea I have heard yet. I know they won't catch a clue, but it would be a little bit of Karma.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shaw Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Child-care workers in D.C. would get more time ... Sat USA Today 1
Free Stuff Oct 26 Justin 1
News Virginia Statehouse Race Pits 'Bathroom Bill' A... Oct 20 TerriB1 1
News Amid controversy, Devin Nunes returning to Fres... (Mar '17) Apr '17 Paul 2
News Here's How Two Former Marines Started a Success... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Texxy the Indepen... 1
News Married lesbian Baptist co-pastors say all are ... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Palin s Turkey Th... 1
News '19 Kids and Counting' co-star pregnant for sec... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Texxy the Selfie Cat 2

Shaw Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Shaw Mortgages