At all-boys' D.C. high school, 'young...

At all-boys' D.C. high school, 'young kings' find discipline, community

There are 11 comments on the USA Today story from Aug 6, 2016, titled At all-boys' D.C. high school, 'young kings' find discipline, community. In it, USA Today reports that:

At all-boys' D.C. high school, 'young kings' find discipline, community New high school advances D.C. schools chancellor's "Empowering Males of Color" initiative Check out this story on USATODAY.com: http://usat.ly/2aYgcjo The first class of students at Ron Brown College Preparatory, an all-boys school in Washington, DC, for mostly African-American and Hispanic males, gets fitted for suits during a two-week orientation for the "Young Kings." Students sit in a circle where they are encouraged to share vulnerable stories during an orientation retreat for DC Public Schools' first all-boys high school, which opens later this month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at USA Today.

Oh No You Di-nt

Campbell, CA

#1 Aug 6, 2016
Maybe THIS program will work at last.

Spotted Girl

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#2 Aug 6, 2016
Why not keep this outdated "king" crap out of it? Teach them to get along and act as equals, and not think of themselves as separate from White culture and above its laws. By teaching them to act as rulers, when White parents and teachers are not doing so with White kids, one is promoting inequality. Teaching inequality to counter it makes no sense.
Ashakhu

Codrington, Antigua and Barbuda

#3 Aug 6, 2016
Spotted Girl wrote:
Why not keep this outdated "king" crap out of it? Teach them to get along and act as equals, and not think of themselves as separate from White culture and above its laws. By teaching them to act as rulers, when White parents and teachers are not doing so with White kids, one is promoting inequality. Teaching inequality to counter it makes no sense.
Chillout, Spotted Gal...
Oh No You Di-nt

Campbell, CA

#4 Aug 6, 2016
Spotted Girl wrote:
Why not keep this outdated "king" crap out of it? Teach them to get along and act as equals, and not think of themselves as separate from White culture and above its laws. By teaching them to act as rulers, when White parents and teachers are not doing so with White kids, one is promoting inequality. Teaching inequality to counter it makes no sense.
It's sad that they can't teach them that Obama is a President, not a king, and that like the President they can achieve their own success without having it given to them by some imaginary birthright.

Oh well. Say hello to the next generation of ... whatevers.

Spotted Girl

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#5 Aug 6, 2016
Ashakhu wrote:
<quoted text>

Chillout, Spotted Gal...
Why would you say that to someone who is calm and merely expressing themselves? Must you try to control the emotions of strangers? If more Blacks controlled their own emotions and learned that others' emotions are not their business nor concern, there'd be less racism and less BP being shot in the streets by cops.

Spotted Girl

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#6 Aug 6, 2016
Oh No You Di-nt wrote:
<quoted text>

It's sad that they can't teach them that Obama is a President, not a king, and that like the President they can achieve their own success without having it given to them by some imaginary birthright.

Oh well. Say hello to the next generation of ... whatevers.
Amen to that!
Ashakhan

Buenos Aires, Argentina

#7 Aug 6, 2016
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>

Why would you say that to someone who is calm and merely expressing themselves? Must you try to control the emotions of strangers? If more Blacks controlled their own emotions and learned that others' emotions are not their business nor concern, there'd be less racism and less BP being shot in the streets by cops.
You 'think'?

Spotted Girl

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#9 Aug 6, 2016
Ashakhan wrote:
<quoted text>

You 'think'?
I think a lot of things. If you want to be intelligent, you might want to pay attention and learn.
Ashakhan

Cologne, Germany

#10 Aug 6, 2016
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>

I think a lot of things. If you want to be intelligent, you might want to pay attention and learn.
So you wanna get all gangstress on me and teach me sumthin'?

Spotted Girl

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#11 Aug 6, 2016
Ashakhan wrote:
<quoted text>

So you wanna get all gangstress on me and teach me sumthin'?
Nope. I'd rather teach you the superior head knowledge, not the inferior street knowledge.
Ashakhan

Cologne, Germany

#12 Aug 6, 2016
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>

Nope. I'd rather teach you the superior head knowledge, not the inferior street knowledge.
TEACH MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mayfair Parkside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man Dead After Shootout With DC Metro Police Ou... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Go Blue Forever 2
News DC Residents Want Answers As Rising Violence, S... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News developers are land grabbing Southeast D.C. (Jul '15) Jul '15 USA Today 1
Appropriate planting in Arlington (Jun '15) Jun '15 Jonah Rogin 1

Mayfair Parkside Jobs

Personal Finance

Mayfair Parkside Mortgages